MY bumfight.

Posted by: Jamoni

MY bumfight. - 07/12/03 02:02 PM

I went down the street to the bookstore this morning. While walking, I was approached by a guy (white, mid thirties, stocky, approx 3 inches shorter than me), who asked for fifty cents. When he did this, he moved in front of me to block my way. So I swerved to the right, and put up my hand in the "Back off, lazy bum, I have no money for you" way. What does he do? He crowds me against a parked car, and shoves out HIS hand as if to grab my face. And for the first time in my life I used ikkyo on the street. So now HE'S by the car, and I'm behind him. When he finally figured out where I was, he started talking trash. I explained to him that this was his fault, because I did not block HIS path, I did not beg from HIM, and if he really wanted to kick my ass, he could try, but I'd done a little ass kicking myself. As I talked, I (AAH! baby eating network router! Stop him!) Okay, I'm back. As I talked, I backed away discretely, to the point where I could safely turn my back. Then I went on my way.
(Incidentally, I had my hand on my pocketknife when he lunged, and DID reflexively pull it, but did NOT open it, because the situation didn't call for it. I performed ikkyo with it in my hand. I repocketed it before he noticed I had it.)

[This message has been edited by Jamoni (edited 07-12-2003).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: MY bumfight. - 07/12/03 02:30 PM

Is that similar to tenkai from aikido?

Re: MY bumfight. - 07/12/03 02:38 PM

Just type "ikkyo" into a search engine. Basically, he stretched out his left arm. I intercepted his left wrist with mine, put my right hand on the back of his left shoulder, and did tenkan, which is basically a quick turn to the side and a step backwards, allowing him to go forwards in the direction he had been pushing. Normally you would lock his elbow, pinning him, but I just let go and got out of dodge.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: MY bumfight. - 07/13/03 01:49 AM

Ahhh, not the same then but similar.
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: MY bumfight. - 07/13/03 03:29 AM

Did you consider choking him out? Long term harmless, and you get some time to walk away. I take it you were behind him, but I trust your judgement that this was not necessary, you seemed to scare him, with your homily.

Would you think a blood choke (cut off the carotids) out would have been a good idea here?

Re: MY bumfight. - 07/13/03 04:00 PM

Honestly, all I wanted was a little space. If he hadn't crowded me up against the car, I would have just back pedaled a bit. I honestly don't think he was trying to hit me or hurt me, he was just putting his hand in my face because I had put my hand up. But he got to close, so I intercepted and got behind him. After that, I had plenty of room to back off, so I considered the threat neutralized. Why choke when I can walk away? Also, I mentioned the guy was very stocky. Why grapple with someone who is shorter and stronger, especially when I have running room?
Posted by: Sweeney

Re: MY bumfight. - 07/21/03 11:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joesixpack:
Did you consider choking him out? Long term harmless, and you get some time to walk away. I take it you were behind him, but I trust your judgement that this was not necessary, you seemed to scare him, with your homily.

Would you think a blood choke (cut off the carotids) out would have been a good idea here?
[/QUOTE]

The maneuver you're talking about puts pressure on the carotid arteries, which causes the brain to send a message via the vagus nerve that slows the heart down, typically to fewer than 40 beats a minute, causing the individual to lose consciousness until the heart rate picks up again. Although the maneuver is usually done without ill effects, it can dislodge plaque in the carotids and cause a stroke (blockage of cerebral blood vessels), which would in turn very likely cause permanent paralysis, loss of speech, etc., depending on the part of the brain where cells die off. So please don't believe it's always "long term harmless." Given this risk, I'd do the maneuver on someone only when there was really no less harmful alternative. I think Jamoni handled the situation admirably, with the right balance of defense and offense.