Dress Sense

Posted by: suzie

Dress Sense - 05/09/03 03:58 PM

Reading the do you train no gi thread on the general forum, lead me to think about some of the advice ladies maybe given at self defense classes:

one of the atrategies we have suggested at self defence classes is that if you know you have to walk back from somewhere and are worried, take some trainers if your foot wear will make things tricky. I don't rate "yeah - stillettos, great - I'd stand on their feet...." like that would work in the heat of the moment - any of you ever tried it? ( more a question for the ladies, but don't be shy, chaps.)

Also - what about never going out dolled up to the nines in case some freak thinks you are asking for it - what do you think about that? - it is not an ideal world where we could all wander out in next to nothing, but some women do dress, to my mind, insufficiently, and I am no way saying they are asking for it, but are they more likely to be attacked than a second potential victim wearing a trench coat, wellies and a woolly hat? Should women be advised to take a change of clothes whenever they maybe in a walking home alone situation?
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Dress Sense - 05/09/03 04:51 PM

I don't think anyone should alter their appreance per-se, but I think they should alter their attitude.

I mean, dress up, short skirts, slap on the make up what ever, just make sure that you are comfortable where you are going. You have friends to look after you in case things go wrong (I know someone who was spiked with GHB but luckily had a friend on hand to stop her from being taken advantage of). Also make sure you know how your getting home - best to use a taxi firm that you know and use regularly.

In the end how think of every horror story about rape and violence that you hear on the news, how many of them were young women who had just got of the bus - 100 yards to their house etc.

Attacks happen when people are vunrable - doesn't matter whether its a 100 miles or a 100 yards - the attacker doesn't know that, do they?

Basically see your friends to the door, look after each other and be safe.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Dress Sense - 05/10/03 06:58 AM

I agree with UKFF about avoiding situations by using a regular taxi firm and having friends see you to the door etc. Unfortunately, very young people often think all these precautions are unnecesary. When I was 16 I would think nothing of walking through dark streets alone. I wouldn't dream of doing so now.
Two pieces of advice I give to the young women that train with me is by all means go ahead and wear the trendy short skirts, but wear a long coat to walk to and from the pub/club etc. And if you are wearing heels, wear ones that can easily be slipped off in case you need to move quickly (or run away).
Sharon
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Dress Sense - 05/10/03 09:13 AM

I'm a firm believer in practical clothing. If you can run, jump, and fight in what you are wearing, you have a good start. This doesn't mean you have to sacrifice fashion. My shoes are just as shiny as anyone elses, but mine have rubber soles with good tread. (I learned the hard way that FlipFlops are NOT practical. Try running four miles in them!) My suit looks just as sharp, but has a little extra material under the arms, so I can move. And POCKETS. If your outfit doesn't have pockets, you need to change. Try a few moves out when trying on an outfit. And wear a freaking BELT. Necklaces? don't wear any that WON'T break when grabbed. (That's why I love clip on ties).
The way I see it, dressing practically is something you can do that, once done, requires no effort, but dramatically increases your abilities should the SHTF.