Punch to the jaw

Posted by: Tkdstreetfighter88

Punch to the jaw - 03/26/03 06:13 PM

OK
I really have to know this so i would appreciate the replys.
I know a punch to the jaw can possibly ko your opponent.

My question is
excactly what part of the jaw must be struck and what angle must it be struck at to break someones jaw
and what part of the jaw can be hit to just ko him.
I dont want to break anyones jaw cause of the law suit, but a ko would be needed.
So excactly what part must be hit to break it?
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/27/03 05:19 PM

Right. Well the bottom line is that if you hit the jaw anywhere hard enough it might well break. Too high is less effective as the impact is likely to be spread onto the cheakbone (which could in itself smash),too low nearer the point of the jaw and the impact is likely to be spent in sliding off and across the jaw to ensure a break. That leave the spot right in the middle at the bottom of the curve which to my mind is plumb. Two additional factors should be noted. Firstly, the size of your fist is likely to mean that a relatively large area is hit anyway, so specific targeting is a bit moot and secondly, when the mouth is open you are much more likely to break the jaw, often around the hinge area.
Moving onto the issue of KO. This is a much more elusive commodity than people think and ensuring that you achieve one is not always easy. The aim as you may know is to achieve "brain shake" whereby the brain, which is suspended in fluid in the skull is made to collide with the interior of the skull. This causes neural overload and KO results. The best way to bring about this state of affairs is to strike as near to the point of the jaw as possible without expending your power by sliding off. It should be noted that strikes from the side (hooks etc), to the jaw tend to make the opponent fall in the same direction as that from which the hit came. This may result in a head connecting nastily with a hard object such as the pavement. A harder but more skilled strike is over the top and down onto the jaw which can cause the opponent to virualy sit down, thus lestening the chance of subsidiary head injury. Hope this helps.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: Scholar

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/27/03 06:33 PM

Note: If opponent fights with open mouth, may result in tongue injury. Specific techniques have specific angles and effects; Uppercut- Whiplash. Being jaw bone also -selection of hand form ie; hammerfist, palm ,backfist,ect. Maybe one is optimum which you want to concentrate on. Also would a penetrating, or a shocking, or a vibrating, be more likely to produce knockout?
Posted by: Scholar

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/27/03 06:38 PM

Also some use multiple rings , like semi-legal knuckles (I think that swollen hands with rings on is a bad thing) would increase likelihood of knockout.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/27/03 07:55 PM

Mr. V sort of made this point, but my study has shown that hits which TWIST the head, rather than knock it in a straight line, are more effective at KO ing an opponent. This is because the brain is suspended in fluid. When you twist the head quickly, the skull moves faster than the brain, causing a lot of shock when the brain catches up. (suspend something in a jar of water, then twist the jar.) Also, it twists the spinal column, which adds to the "shock" to the nervous system. Straight shots can achieve KO, but require far more force to do so.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/30/03 11:59 AM

Unless its a straight shot square to the chin. Ko everytime if you can hit it properly.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/30/03 03:52 PM

IMOH you cannot say KO every time to any technique. I've seen people hit by real beauties and not go down. Sure they may not look too steady on their feet but its not a straight KO. Similarly ive seen people just tapped who go down like a lead balloon.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: mark

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/30/03 07:34 PM

Yeah!!!

The over hand right to the button, folding them down (as Mr V says)

Sigh!!!!!!!!! I have lost count...

Even the ones that you mange a horizontal push with, so the head turns as the chin is pushed into the chest......

With the impact memory loss, they actually dont know what has hit them....

Lovely

Mark

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/31/03 01:00 PM

Ok not ko EVERY time but alot of the time any ways and for the times it doesnt then they are usually dazed anyways and a follow up attack should at least put them on the ground.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/31/03 04:37 PM

Also I think there are a few techniques you could say ko to everytime, Mr.V. Example the stepping side kick to the chin. I dont see anyone standing up to that. Or a ridgehand to the brain stem. Potentially fatal so I think a ko would be easy to accomplish. Triangle chokes. Some will work every time IF correctly applied and the impact is solid.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/31/03 04:43 PM

Well chokes are a different matter and to be honest the topic of this post does imply punching. However to take up your comment about kicks, most people don't kick nearly hard enough to the head to knock someone out. Compared to punches ive seen VERY few people cleaned out with a head kick, especialy a side snap or thrust kick as you suggest. Ok it might break teeth or a nose but unless the opponent is walking right onto it, im very sceptical about this being a prime knockout technique. Further more as this is a self defence forum, what would anyone be doing kicking to the head in a self defence scenario?

Regds
Mr V

Re: Punch to the jaw - 03/31/03 11:18 PM

Chen Zen.

What do you mean by "Triangle chokes"

Im not familiar with that term, is it Judo`s Augmented strangle form behind?

Sorry to be so dim

Lol

Mark

Re: Punch to the jaw - 04/01/03 10:54 AM

Most people do not you are correct Mr.V but a TKD artist should easily have the power to do so as it is his primary weapon. As for self defense, Tkd is effective if taught and used properly and I have no qualms about using these techniques ina real situation.As for the post referring to punches I was simply making a point, a technique that ko's. Now if you said a PUNCH wont ko someone everytime I would have agreed whole heartidly.As for the side kick I refer to watch Bruce Lee use a stepping side kick effectively. Tons of power from a 140 pond frame. As for triangle chokes Mark, I do not know the holds and chokes of judo only the throws but it is a technique used in Brazilian Jujutsu. The opponents arm is brought up above there head and the legs form around the arm and neck of the opponent forming a triangle and then with pressure it chokes them out. It is for ground fighting.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 04/01/03 11:34 PM

thanks Chen Zen.

Sounds good..and nicely painfull!

Mark

Re: Punch to the jaw - 04/02/03 04:45 PM

Very effective and painful especially if you can work in a wrist lock on the arm that is pinned.
Posted by: judderman

Re: Punch to the jaw - 04/03/03 03:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
Very effective and painful especially if you can work in a wrist lock on the arm that is pinned.[/QUOTE]

For the sake of education could you explain how the wrist lock would augment the effect of the choke?

Budo.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 04/03/03 03:39 PM

It is not going to directly effect the choke but if you keep ahold of the wrist it is less likely that they will pull there arm out of the hold or try things like pinching.Also if they manage to remove there head then you can still maintain control and trasition to another technique with the wrist lock applied.
Posted by: cheburek

Re: Punch to the jaw - 10/14/08 04:36 PM

this is actuALLY FUNNY, ahh I have boxed for many many years, never had any significant injuries, last weekend was camping some drunk start talking [censored] i threw 3 punch combo hook to the jaw with my right straight to the jaw with my left and anothe straight to the jaw with my right. didn't KO him, prob. because he was drunk not sure but in result broke my finger .So be carefull whrn you hit some one in the jaw!!!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Punch to the jaw - 10/15/08 03:05 AM

If you want to use your boxing experience to ko drunk people who talk smack then you have a lot of work to do.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 10/15/08 08:59 AM

lol
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Punch to the jaw - 10/16/08 12:10 PM

Not to mention a lot of work if ya need to resurrect a 5 year old thread and not even introduce yourself.

Re: Punch to the jaw - 10/16/08 02:36 PM

i dunno.
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: Punch to the jaw - 10/29/08 10:19 AM

so which punch finally IS more effective? (in your opinion and agreed that not every punch is a KO)

hook to the sides of the jaw? uppercut? straight punch?

are there any studies or anything to support that?

for me personally i think if any1 of them delivered with enough force and technique (even with a bit luck) they are capable of delivering the KO.

or at least end a fight. (especially uppercut)