Nunchuka is there a defence?

Posted by: BUDDY

Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/11/03 04:51 AM

Other than running away, how would the trained martial artist deal with the thret of Nunchuka? Is there an effective defence against this weapon?

Please post your views.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/11/03 05:03 AM

I can think of several:

*Baseball bat in the hands of a good stick man.
*A Sig-Sauer 9mm handgun is my personal fave.
*OC spray is also a good bet since it's hard to fight someone you can't see!
*Running from someone wishing to use weapons instead of a good "old-fashioned" fist fight is also noteworthy.

Those are just a few of my favorites!
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/11/03 05:05 AM

Well you have two options really as i see it. One is get a weapon of your own to counter it. Two is take a hit somewhere that you dont mind a big bruise (hopefuly nothing worse) such as your arm and then shove the rice flails up the attackers' arse. To be honest most people wont use them that effectively, they will just swing with it in big old strokes.

Regds
Mr V

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/11/03 05:07 AM

Dear me JKogas, finaly we agree on something... Sig Sauer 9mm. First rate weapon.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: kempocos

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/11/03 01:18 PM

9mm very nice I use the gloch style. If no gun toss a couple rocks at him. simple yet very effective
Posted by: roundhouser

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/12/03 03:32 AM

Guns are not the answer man im mean far out its a gun if u carry a gun your just askin for trouble.
Posted by: martial_life

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/12/03 10:53 AM

I think they were semi-joking. (As in, they like the firearms, but prolly wouldn't walk around looking for ppl with nunchuka to shoot). [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/12/03 04:27 PM

Correct on both accounts [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

MrV
Posted by: roundhouser

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 02/13/03 03:32 AM

i wasnt sayin that they were goin out lookin to shoot people its just that if u had to use it in self defence it could get ugly if u no wat i mean.
Posted by: Ender

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 05/27/03 07:54 AM

conventional blocking against a nunchaku is probably the stpuidest thing you can do, as a nunchaku, because of the swinging/whipping motion, multiplies the force it hits with by hundreds of times.

You get nunchaku pulled on you? either find a weapon,

or run the f*ck AWAY
Posted by: Kotetsu

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 05/27/03 08:22 AM

I like the throwing rocks idea. But running is the best idea. Unless of course you have a big sword in your pocket.

P.S. Please no sick inuendo comments, you can take it that way but don't talk about it.
Posted by: Lo C'hi

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 05/27/03 11:41 AM

While the end of the nunchakus do have considerable force, near the connecting chain or rope there is much less. If the attacker is making wide swings it is not that difficult to time.
Even a person who seems proficient with nunchakus (fast multi level figure 8's, changing hands)would lose most of their speed and accuracy when the nunchakus hit something and recoil. So I try to move behind a lightpost, car, grab a garbage pail cover or take off your jacket and use that to interrupt their timing then counter.
I prefer to use nunchakus as a short staff (holding both together) that I can use to block and wrap around the attacker's arm or neck.
I do not consider them a good offensive weapon, but I do like to work out with them to increase shoulder strength and to practice keeping my free hand in a guard position (those darn things hurt if you hit yourself).
Same principle for a baseball bat , attack near the hands and a disarm is very possible.

Train hard and be well.

[This message has been edited by Lo C'hi (edited 05-27-2003).]
Posted by: mark

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/01/03 10:33 AM

Very disappointed in Khayman, who hasn’t entered this debate.

He is about the best person I know with the “chucks, and I can tell you, NO empty had defence would work if he went for you. Not sure anything would! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

As for Lo Chi`s comment:- “Even a person who seems proficient with nunchakus (fast multi level figure 8's, changing hands)would lose most of their speed and accuracy when the nunchakus hit something and recoil”
Err! no they wouldn’t, and the recoil is part of the next move….and if this recoil was against your head I don’t think there would be a next move on your part…..

But once again we confuse the big open dojo and your ready for it defences against training partners that are “ playing the game” with the real world, where most often there is no reaction time and we get caught be the first strike before we realise it is ”game on”

Mark
Posted by: Khayman

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/02/03 10:53 AM

After that introduction I thought id better reply, thanks Mark for the kind words.
Nunchaku has been a favourate of mine for many years.
Let me first explain there is a difference between combat nunchaku and the flashy kata demonstrations we see today.
Many practitioners train in front of a mirror learning to bascially juggle with the chucks, after a few months they can look bloody impressive it dosnt mean they are adept at using the weapon to fight with. That said it doesnt take long to become proficient with these weapons, in the late 70's many gangs used this weapon as it is so easy to learn, in unskilled hands a blow from the weapon can cause nasty injuries.
In skilled hands the chucks can fly very fast, if the exponent has practised against a heavy bag and trained to actually hit with the weapon its very hard to defend against. Mark is right, a missed or deflected technique can easily be redirected either bouncing the chucks off your opponent or off parts of your own body and retargeting.
Obviously if someone pulls chucks on you and you are outside the arc of the weapon running is the best option always. Otherwise an equaliser, preferably something longer than the arc of the weapon to keep distance.
empty hand against nunchuka - I would cover up and basically blitz. Accept a hit on the body if you have to and get in close, real close for a grapple, isolating the arm weilding the chucks. Traditional blocks are pretty much useless, if you block the weapon against your arm with force you will probably break your arm, if your get inside and block the attacking arm the chucks can still arc round and hit you.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/02/03 12:46 PM

Defence against nunchuks is the same as defence against any other weapon or even someone without a weapon.

Timing and Distance

JohnL

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/02/03 02:12 PM

ROFLMAO,

John L, insightful comment, it all seems so easy now! :d

Mark
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/03/03 05:04 AM

Sure, pull a 9mm on the fools ass and watch as his jeans develop a dark stain around the crotch.

Otherwise, as JohnL said, timing and distance. As in, a LOT of distance....RUN!

-John
Posted by: Shadowfax

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/15/03 10:48 AM

Call the psych ward? Anyone who runs around attacking people with weapons like that has watched WAY too many Bruce Lee movies [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

seriously though, a pipe or a stick can trap the nunchaku.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/15/03 11:51 AM

i would treat it like any other medium length weapon attack...a swing is a swing..whether its from a club or nunchuka (which are illegal here so i am not the least bit worried about it) if you are in close he cant swing it can he...youll probably get hit on the way in but hey..nothin is perfect lol

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/15/03 04:55 PM

May the "real world" never catch up with you...
Posted by: Shadowfax

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/16/03 09:21 AM

Ever messed with nunchaku? I have. They're heavy rods whipping around on chains. If you get hit on the way in, you're most likely in a lot of trouble.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/18/03 08:27 AM

Originally posted by kempo_jujitsu:
"I would treat it like any other medium length weapon attack...a swing is a swing..whether its from a club or nunchuka'

This is reasonable.

"which are illegal here so i am not the least bit worried about it"

That's just plain stupid. Many things are illegal but they're still around. Carrying guns is illegal here in the US, do you know how many illegal guns are on the street!!

JohnL
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/18/03 06:15 PM

Actually, John, you may want to check the concealed carry laws in your state and city. Chances are, its perfectly legal to carry a concealed weapon with a permit, and unless you live in California, New york, or Missouri (GRRR!) it's probably not to difficult to get that license if you are a law abiding citizen. However, this doesn;t keep any criminals from doing as you say.
Posted by: mikelw

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 12:30 AM

How likely do u guys think that you will EVER get the chance to defend against nunchaku in a real street situation? Just think about that one.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 07:17 AM

If thats your arguement Mikelw, what are the odds we'll ever have to defend ourselves on the street ina situation where we cant run away? If this is the case why both training in the MA at all?

Just because we not be in the situation doesnt mean our hypothetical reaciton should not be considered and trained for.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 07:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikelw:
How likely do u guys think that you will EVER get the chance to defend against nunchaku in a real street situation? Just think about that one.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Mike

I agree. I think the chances of having to defend against a nunchuku in the street are slim.
However ignoring that they exist on the basis that they are illegal is wrong.

You will note however that I did agree that the training against them should not necessarily be specific. Just treat it as another medium range weapon.

To Jamoni.
I used the gun as an example for the americans on the site. (Maybe a bad example)
In the UK it is illegal to carry a gun, knife, etc. That doesn't mean they don't exist on the street.

Hope that's a better example.

JohnL

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 06:56 PM

Defenses against numb-chucks:
1. Run away.
2. Shoot him.
3. Throw rocks or garbage cans.
4. Hit him with a two by four.
5. Hit him with a car.
6. Use a shield.
7. Wear a riot helmet, kevlar vest, and arm guards. EVERYWHERE.
8. Sic a pack of wild dingoes on him.
9. Use a hostage as a human shield.
10. Mace him.
11. lure him into a VERY small room.
12. Throw a net over him.
13. Call the nuthouse on your cell phone and tell them you've found their escaped prisoner.
Posted by: Yoseikan Student

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 10:01 PM

WOW, Jamoni can pick up cars and hit people with them.......... I'm in awe.........

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Please teach me master.......

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 10:20 PM

www.numchucks.com Take a look at this mcdojo website.

[This message has been edited by Karate Dude (edited 06-19-2003).]
Posted by: Karate Dude

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/19/03 10:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Karate Dude:
www.numchucks.com Take a look at this mcdojo website.

[This message has been edited by Karate Dude (edited 06-19-2003).]
[/QUOTE]

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 06/20/03 07:53 PM

It's a technique I learned from several sources. There is an instructional booklet available called "Superman" from DC Comics, as well as a training video called "The One". Remember, when bashing folks with cars, proper technique and smooth energy are the key to power, not brute strength.
Posted by: bitfreak

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/02/03 08:58 AM

I've never faced a 'chuck wielding momo as an opponent, but I suppose I could imagine a few things to consider.

Leave if at all possible.

Escalation is always bad idea (he has chucks, you get a 6 shooter, he breaks out shotgun, you lauch a nuke, ad nauseum). However, if you're wearing a belt you might be able to use that in some way to give you some range and to interfere witht he swinging chucks enough to get inside. I doubt you'll do any damage, but that isn't the point; it would be a means to an end.

Pick up a handful of dirt or gravel if possible and keep in your hand. It may be useful in your immediate future. I shouldn't need to explain that.

If you cannot get away, and must face the opponent unarmed, then you must work to minimize the advantage he has; I see that as primarily range; he can hit you but you can't hit him. If you can move quickly enough and use angling to your advantage, you should be able to get inside; if you can, grappling would be the next thing to move into. If he is stupid enough to still have his hands on the flails, you now have the advantage. (one caveat; if he is an exceptional fighter, he will likely improvise and use the sticks in a sort of escrima fashion to reduce the range and fight very close in, and my previous comment is void).

If you do take a blow, try to spread the impact out; in other words, don't let the entire force of the blow focus on one point like the edge of your forearm or the tip of your noggin'. Use physics to your advantage; also be aware of large muscle groups that might be disabled temporarily by a hard impact like your lower back, thights, deltoids, etc.

Also, try to "slip" any impact, in boxing fashion.

I've always thought 'Chucks were flashy and scary looking. I've never actually seen someone spar or be a real fight with them. I would imagine two skilled users going toe to toe would be a short, fast, and furious fight.

That's my $.02.

Bitfreak
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/02/03 11:18 PM

regarding previous posts regarding pulling a 9mm-pllleeeease!!!
At least pull a real mans gun-a .45
Posted by: Sweeney

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/10/03 08:41 PM

I would comment on the 9-mm versus .45 debate that has just begun, but it would take us too far from the original subject of defense against nunchaku. I do have firsthand experience with nunchaku versus sword, and have found that the latter has the better reach. (I even have a small scar to prove it.) Here in New York, of course, we don't have to worry about nunchaku on the streets (ha!) because they have been outlawed in the Empire State since 1974. As for martial artists wishing to practice in their own homes...well, we too are outlaws. (I have a sort of scar to prove that, too.) But I have recently challenged these New York laws on the basis that making the peaceful possession of nunchaku in one's own home illegal is unconstitutional. Given the history of disarmament of the Okinawan people that led to the nunchaku's development as a weapon, New York seems pretty draconian, eh? Anyone wanting to follow my legal challenge can check in at: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvs.html

[This message has been edited by Sweeney (edited 07-10-2003).]

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/10/03 08:42 PM

And yes, I was kidding about the fact that they're illegal being a guarantee that they won't be misused on the streets.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/11/03 08:06 AM

Sweeney
I read through your document.
Good luck with your case.
Any dates set yet for it to be heard?
I'll follow any updates with interest.
JohnL

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/11/03 08:48 AM

JohnL:

The wheels of justice turn slowly. The Attorney General's Office has appeared to defend the New York laws, and the Assistant Attorney General assigned to the case has indicated that she will make a motion allowing the judge to decide the legal and constitutional questions on the assumption (for purposes of that motion) that the facts stated in the complaint are true. This is the sort of case where the truth of the facts is not really at issue; the constitutional question is whether the State may go so far as to make it a crime to possess peacefully in one's home a pair of hardwood sticks joined together by a cord or chain. When there is news on the case, I will update my web page and will post an alert to this bulletin board. Thanks for your interest.
Posted by: HKD_Martin

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/13/03 11:06 AM

No Lie: a co-worker and I ran into a hostile man who had a pair of nunchaku on him just a few weeks ago (not sure of exact date). He didn't use them, but then again, when I saw them, I made fun of the idea of him trying them on me and my friend. (Bravado? Bluff? Both! I could always retreat if necessary- I keep my options open.)

Technique against nunchaku?

If you have to fight:
Throw water, soda, ice, a can, pocket change, rabid badger, wet towel, dry towel, towel that is on fire, whatever,-

Then tuck chin, guard up covering head/throat, hunch over and blitz!

Remember your belt as a flail, weapon entangler, etc. But hopefully your belt is only for show- if you use it to keep your pants up, you will have issues running away, charging, etc. If it comes to that later.

Sorry to repeat some of the ideas, just wanted to add that anything can occupy someone long enough for these techniques to work.

P.S.- If you use the flaming towel, maybe you can leave instead of closing- might be best.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/13/03 08:40 PM

Forget the can of Whupass! For the ultimate in self defense, open up a can full of rabid flaming badgers with belts!

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/14/03 09:21 PM

One thing to keep in mind in this discussion is the lion-and-chair phenomenon. Clyde Beatty, the late big-cat circus performer, wrote that the whole point of the chair was to get the cat to focus its attention on the inanimate object and not the man behind it. This might prevent the man from getting ripped to shreds should the cat go into, well, let's just call it flaming-rabid-badger mode. Anyway, the same applies to fighting someone wielding a flashy weapon. You're fighting the man, not the sticks. Having trained with the nunchaku since the mid-1970s, including both the flashy twirly cheerleader stuff and the more pragmatic strike-a-tire-and-recover workouts, I can modestly offer a few thoughts about the varieties of possible nunchaku-wielding opponents. Here are two extremes:

1) Someone twirling the sticks quickly and deftly but in a high or wide stance may well be pretty untrained about recovery after striking and, especially, close-quarters grappling. If you move in fast, with a stance of sanchin-dachi or something close to protect the knees (prime nunchaku target) and the forearms protecting the head and neck (other prime nunchaku targets) you may get inside the guy's swinging range without having to take more than one relatively undamaging hit. Then you rock'n'roll and do whatever you do best up close and personal: rapid-rabbit tsuki, elbow strikes, head blow to the nose, knees to the groin, all of the above, etc.

2) Someone holding the sticks in a ready position and in a stance like sanchin-dachi is, to a trained eye, a lot scarier than the aforementioned Mr. Flash-in-the-Pan. Watch out for his feet! "Stix and kix are perfect together," and the possibilities of being kicked, hit in the head or clavicle by the sticks (upper arm), or across the knees or ribs (lower arm) are all omnipresent until the first move is made. Closing quickly in that situation without getting seriously injured or killed on the way in is a far worse bet than with opponent number one, above. But if you think about it, that's why the sticks are more a defensive than an offensive weapon, as someone mentioned in an earlier post. To strike is to expose oneself. If it's a downward nunchaku blow with the upper arm (actually weaker than the lower-arm lateral) you could do a deep thrust pivoting side kick and get your upper body back and out of the way in one move. The more likely strike from this guy will be the lower-arm lateral to your knee, or the kick, or the combination, of course. There is no "recipe response" to these, but your own offensive counter will have to take place during the recovery period, which, if he's good, won't be long. But if you dodge that lateral and/or kick and can get your own kick to his centerline (solar plexus, groin, etc.) during your little window of opportunity, you will certainly have moved your badger into the end zone. How you follow up from there is open-ended, but I'd generally rather be in close with someone armed with a nunchaku or fireram than far enough away to be in the prime target range. 'Course, someone who knows what he's doing can crack you in the head with his rifle butt or crush your larynx with the pivot ends of his nunchaku if you get too close, but I suppose that's no worse, respectively, than having a rifle round between the eyes or the blunt end of a nunchaku smashing into your temporal bone, causing a massive intracranial bleed. Oh, well, those are my optimistic thoughts for the day. Good night, all.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/15/03 04:32 PM

With respect to concealed weapons licenses: They generally apply to firearms only, not to any other weapon. In othe words, you can carry a .44 automag with the licence, but not a 12" Bowie knife.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/16/03 10:59 PM

Yeah, most states seem to think that only guns are "civilized" and that weapons like the nunchaku, which is more defensive and far less likely to result in accidental deaths, ought to be totally taboo. One Arizona court said that "arms" (as in "the right to bear") did not include nunchaku, which are the sort of weapons used by a "ruffian, brawler, or assassin." (Talk about having an image problem...)

If you have Adobe Acrobat reader, you can check out the 1981 Arizona case at:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/swanton.pdf

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/17/03 08:46 PM

I think what they meant was: Guns are highly complex devices which are expensive to manufacture, unlike sticks and knives, so the more expensive a weapon is, the more legitimate it's use, because the more money someone has, the more legitimate they are. Especially if the powers that be want guns themselves.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/17/03 09:56 PM

If nunchuka are so bad, why the hell do soldiers use guns?

Think about it.

Ironically, if the government is saying that nunchaku are more dangerous, wouldn't they want to arm they're soldiers with a more dangerous weapon?

Of course, logically, guns are far more destructive, but that isn't what the government is saying.
Posted by: Isshin Dude

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/17/03 09:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jamoni:
I think what they meant was: Guns are highly complex devices which are expensive to manufacture, unlike sticks and knives, so the more expensive a weapon is, the more legitimate it's use, because the more money someone has, the more legitimate they are. Especially if the powers that be want guns themselves.[/QUOTE]Wow! Good post jamoni, Why did'nt I think of that. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/mad.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: BBB

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/17/03 11:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ender:
If nunchuka are so bad, why the hell do soldiers use guns?

Think about it.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, I'd rather have a crazed nunchaku guy coming at me than a gun weilding criminal. However, if someone with nunchaku ever comes at me with a crazed glint in his eye, I'm gonna look for any sort of weapon i can improvise, no way I'm going to go toe to toe with person THAT insane.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/18/03 08:25 AM

Ender wrote:
-----------------
"If nunchuka are so bad, why the hell do soldiers use guns?
Think about it.

Ironically, if the government is saying that nunchaku are more dangerous, wouldn't they want to arm they're soldiers with a more dangerous weapon?

Of course, logically, guns are far more destructive, but that isn't what the government is saying."
------------------

I agree with the last part. Government policies relative to guns vis-a-vis nunchaku have nothing to do with logical analysis. In a modern democracy, they have a lot to do with interest groups, influence, MONEY (right, Jamoni) and the sorts of analyses that can be done in 20-second sound bite (pretty meager). By the early 1970s nunchaku had become associated in the popular (voting) mind with "bad" people: gang members, bikers, etc.--you know, the "undesirables." There was and remains no equivalent of the NRA to protect the rights of martial artists to train peacefully in their own homes with a pair of sticks that have a noble history of development as a weapon among the oppressed people of the Ryukyus in the 1600s. So today, four centuries after that oppression, New York and California are leading the states in ridding the nation of these nasty sticks recently associated with "bad people" by defining as a crime the mere possession of those sticks in their homes. In New York, a conviction means a year in prison.

"Think about it."

P.S. People DO carry 'em on the streets. I'm not challenging the laws relating to concealed carry in public. I'm challenging the idea that someone can be locked up for a year and branded a criminal for peaceful at-home training with a pair of nunchaku that never leaves the house.

[This message has been edited by Sweeney (edited 07-18-2003).]
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/18/03 09:35 AM

Is this thread still going?

I mean - how many people walk the streets with nunchuka's? I've never seen anyone, few baseball bats and the odd kosh but nunchuka.

And even if someone was carring one, they most probably wouldn't be trained in using it anyway so they would only be able to swing it at you, which is like taking candy from a baby.

They really aren't effective unless you know how to use them as the range is so difficult to master (not that I'm a kubodo guy or anything, just what I've gathered from reading texts).

I don't know, I worry about knives, glass bottles etc.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/18/03 01:20 PM

How many people walk around with nunchaku? Well, it's kinda hard to tell, isn't it? Unlike the baseball bats you mention, the Okinawan sticks can be stashed in the waistband, etc., and carried concealed. I'd say there are plenty out there. One just doesn't see them all that often.

On 7/13 one participant in this thread (HKD...) mentioned having been confronted by a guy who pulled a pair of sticks on him a few weeks before that. Yeah, it happens. This is no academic discussion...

It used to be that some folks from Chinatown trained in sizable groups with the Kung Fu three-section-staff right in the public plaza in front of the federal courthouse in Manhattan. No one bothered them. I used to watch them and wonder how the federal marshals and local cops would have reacted had someone brought a pair of nunchaku and offered a similar peaceful demonstration with a similar weapon.

But that IS an academic discussion. Anyone seen by a law enforcement officer in New York with nunchaku will be promptly arrested. Yeah, even in their own home...
Posted by: missouriman2

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/03/03 09:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrVigerous:
Well you have two options really as i see it. One is get a weapon of your own to counter it. Two is take a hit somewhere that you dont mind a big bruise (hopefuly nothing worse) such as your arm and then shove the rice flails up the attackers' arse. To be honest most people wont use them that effectively, they will just swing with it in big old strokes.

I would agree with you on taking one hit , although I have been a master with the nunchukas for 10 years using them since age 14 I love the workout they provide! My only point is that if he looks like he does really know what he is doing you will definately take more than one before you recover.It's definately time to run unless you are fast enough to get the center of the stix, the string/chain (my preference is string , made from army boot laces).Be safe!

Regds
Mr V

[/QUOTE]

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/03/03 10:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bitfreak:
I've never faced a 'chuck wielding momo as an opponent, but I suppose I could imagine a few things to consider.

Leave if at all possible.

Escalation is always bad idea (he has chucks, you get a 6 shooter, he breaks out shotgun, you lauch a nuke, ad nauseum). However, if you're wearing a belt you might be able to use that in some way to give you some range and to interfere witht he swinging chucks enough to get inside. I doubt you'll do any damage, but that isn't the point; it would be a means to an end.

Pick up a handful of dirt or gravel if possible and keep in your hand. It may be useful in your immediate future. I shouldn't need to explain that.

If you cannot get away, and must face the opponent unarmed, then you must work to minimize the advantage he has; I see that as primarily range; he can hit you but you can't hit him. If you can move quickly enough and use angling to your advantage, you should be able to get inside; if you can, grappling would be the next thing to move into. If he is stupid enough to still have his hands on the flails, you now have the advantage. (one caveat; if he is an exceptional fighter, he will likely improvise and use the sticks in a sort of escrima fashion to reduce the range and fight very close in, and my previous comment is void).

If you do take a blow, try to spread the impact out; in other words, don't let the entire force of the blow focus on one point like the edge of your forearm or the tip of your noggin'. Use physics to your advantage; also be aware of large muscle groups that might be disabled temporarily by a hard impact like your lower back, thights, deltoids, etc.

Also, try to "slip" any impact, in boxing fashion.

I've always thought 'Chucks were flashy and scary looking. I've never actually seen someone spar or be a real fight with them. I would imagine two skilled users going toe to toe would be a short, fast, and furious fight.

That's my $.02.

Bitfreak
[/QUOTE]

Someone mis informed you , yes alot of people claiming to do the chucks , and can wield them pretty good probably hasnt actually hit anyone, but some one thats already good will realize what to do with the different recoil pretty quick, and most have used what i trained with , the rubba chucks, skinney pvc pipe chucks with foam rubber arround them for sparring, what fun! As to chucks being illiegal, nope they are not, although they differ state to state how to transport them, as here in MO we must keep them out of site , some states requre you to keep them visable like on dash or top of seat.they ARE illeagle to use, so if a trained artist with chucks decides to pull them on you...you need to run, since he means buisiness in the first place, or he wouldnt pull them, i carry sometimes, although you would not be able to see them at all.VERY concielable tools!Be Safe

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/03/03 10:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by missouriman2:

Someone mis informed you , yes alot of people claiming to do the chucks , and can wield them pretty good probably hasnt actually hit anyone, but some one thats already good will realize what to do with the different recoil pretty quick, and most have used what i trained with , the rubba chucks, skinney pvc pipe chucks with foam rubber arround them for sparring, what fun! As to chucks being illiegal, nope they are not, although they differ state to state how to transport them, as here in MO we must keep them out of site , some states requre you to keep them visable like on dash or top of seat.they ARE illeagle to use, so if a trained artist with chucks decides to pull them on you...you need to run, since he means buisiness in the first place, or he wouldnt pull them, i carry sometimes, although you would not be able to see them at all.VERY concielable tools!Be Safe
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, just one more small point for all who are really interested ...even if a trained wielder of nunchukas gets only onestrike on you ,...it IS a 99 % chance he will hit what he wants to, and if it is your arm...IT IS NOW BROKEN..if it is your head..NO Doctor can put you back together again,remember if he is a real praCTITIONER OF THE ART, HE MEANS BUISINESS if he has pulled them, and its leathal buisiness he means, and it will be defensive only.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/03/03 10:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by missouriman2:

...As to chucks being illiegal, nope they are not, although they differ state to state how to transport them...
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Joe, but nunchaku are illegal to possess even in your home if you live in New York or California. But I've taken up the battle. See my web page on the subject:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvs.html

Jim

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/04/03 10:13 PM

...and for a direct link to the text of the federal complaint, which provides a lot more detail:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/nunchakucomp.html

(I've added a few hypertext links and a snazzy background that obviously was not included in the court papers...)

--Sweeney
Posted by: HeadlessHorseman

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/26/03 08:36 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jamoni:
I think what they meant was: Guns are highly complex devices which are expensive to manufacture, unlike sticks and knives, so the more expensive a weapon is, the more legitimate it's use, because the more money someone has, the more legitimate they are. Especially if the powers that be want guns themselves.[/QUOTE]

The "powers that be" want guns because we know they are the most effective and because we have property and families to protect. That doesn't make guns "bad." Nunchucks have long been associated with the underclass, starting in Okinawa and riught here in present-day America. That doesn't make them "bad" either but the fcat that they can so easily and cheaply be made is why legislatures in some states make them illegal. Which brings me to...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sweeney:
Sorry, Joe, but nunchaku are illegal to possess even in your home if you live in New York or California. But I've taken up the battle. See my web page on the subject: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvs.html

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Sweeney, you appear to be a classic example of the Don Quixote type. Why bother fighting for your right to own a second-rate weapon? Get a pistol permit instead.

And to stay with the thread: yeah, there's a defense aginat nunchaka as many of you have pointed out: shoot the M*****F****R!
Posted by: Spencerx2k

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 09/11/03 01:55 AM

This might be totally wrong, but why not toss a meteor hammer, or a chinese rope javelin...

not like everyone carries these, but hey, they would probably work [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: eL Duce

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 09/15/03 12:39 AM

just wrap an inch thick of clothing (maybe a towel or your shirt)to your arm, then use it as your shield.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 09/18/03 02:57 AM

The only hope you have is good evasive skills. Sidestep to the forty five then launch an attack on their centerline to destroy there structure and balance. Hope for a wide swing, use the sidestep, then attack. If the swing is wide you can stop it before it comes back leaving the opponent easily open.
Posted by: BaiginLong

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 09/22/03 02:31 AM

mmmmmm rope javelin
yummy

hehehe

but yeah
i agree with many of the posts on defense against nunchacku but I guess I could still add something

I don't work with nunchacku much but I've noticed that the defence of nunchaku against attacks to their legs is usually (not always) lacking. But otherwise you're pretty much in big trouble against a nunchacku user.

errr hmmm I dabble a bit in capoeira and I think that its attack patterns are quite effective against blunt weapons (incuding nunchacku) but then I haven't heard about too many capoeira users in this forum so I guess I'll have to speak up for that end

problem is speaking in their terms may be a take a good deal of the other people here for a spin since it's a completely different animal from that of oriental arts and also since I only dabble in it

sooo
I guess the best way to put it is that the motion of a capoeira user's attacks provide about the same amount of force and unpredictability that those of nunchacku in the hands of their wielders
many times they use the same flail physics and thus inertia is on both their sides so in this sense capoeira can be the equalizer that you seek if you don't have an immediately available weapon

if you look at Eddie Gordo/Christie Monteiro from the Tekken fightin game series they aren't too far off from the actual thing but they still exggagerate quite a bit (though they have gotten better about making it more realistic lately)

at the very least they got the basic step pattern correct
but otherwise I'm not going to list my complaints against Namco here heh [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by BaiginLong (edited 09-22-2003).]
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 09/23/03 07:15 PM

More of a capcom fan myself. Shin Akuma has no equal...
Posted by: StillWater

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 09/26/03 08:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BUDDY:
Other than running away, how would the trained martial artist deal with the thret of Nunchuka? Is there an effective defence against this weapon?

Please post your views.
[/QUOTE]

As this is my first post here at FightingArts.com, before juming into the topic I'd just like to say Hello to everyone. So, Hello. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
I've studied with nunchaku (the weapon so versatile it can even be SPELLED in different ways) for a little over ten years.
Against someone who actually knew how to use them, I'm afraid that the best suggestion i have was eliminated right off the bat with the words "other than running away.."

After that I would have to ask "can I have a weapon as too?". I wont get into the (almost historical) debate between the superiority of 9mm over 45 cal. or vice versa (though I'd choose the 45 [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ) but I'll certainly agreee that your best bet is to shoot bugger right quick.

Assuming that
1: I'm unarmed
2: the person weilding them looks like he knows what he's doing
3: there are no objects in my environment that i could use either as defenseve weapons or protective obstacles and
4: theres no way to talk him out of trying to kill me, I would (as has been mentioned) want to get inside of his swinging range. Not that this gets me out the woods in and of itself, because even up close the nunchaku can be extremely effective weapons. Pretty much everything you've ever seen or imagined as a possible or practical technique with a baton (including the many grapples) can be just as effective with the nunchaku.

But, getting inside and controlling the weapon (or rather, the hand/arm holding the weapon) would be my number one priority.

Though I'll admit that THEORETICALLY it might work,,,sometimes, I dont advise the "take a hit if you have to" mentality because if you take one hit, chances are fairly good that you're going to take another. And then another. And then as many more as the person using them decides is neccessary, since one hit often flows smoothly and powerfully into another.

Something that I was shown a very long time ago as a (desperate) defense against nunchkau, is to very quickly and forcefully snatch the chain or chord while the weapon is being swung. If you manage this without getting your arm broken, you may end up holding the weapon in your hand. Which is a considerably better place for it than HIS hand.

And for now, that is all i have to say.
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by StillWater (edited 09-26-2003).]

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/30/04 12:41 PM

rush him when hes trying to change momentum(like when he wraps the chain around his waist, then goes the other direction)try to get a hold of his wrist or try to close range, because chances are he is a thug and wants your wallet, and hes not going to know how to use the chucks at really close combat(joint locks and so forth). if hes in the process of swinging when your rushing him, try to get close and if your gonna take a hit, try to pivot so you get hit with the chuck part that is closest to his hand THIS IS DIRE. becuz as another one of you posted, he will have just changed direction and will not have that much momentum, and he will have even less when you get hit by the chain in stead of the wooden part. after youve gotten that close, making his chucks useless, open up a world of hurt on him(what i would do after all this trouble is really knee him in the nads.(hey, it was his fault for not guarding them, right?))

thank you and good training

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 07/30/04 06:27 PM

If the person were going through the figure eights, body wraps, and hand changes for intimidation then I have nothing to worry about because they are probably not very good for that is not how you fight with chucks. I would throw something into their eyes and kick the **** out of them. I would find a stick or use my belt and defend myself. If they are skilled and I could tell then I don't know what I would do. I would have to be in that situation. I guess I would just defend myself to the best I could.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 08/11/04 10:30 PM

It's not that hard really...just tackle him. Cover your head and tackle him. There have been reports of cops shooting armed criminals running at them from twenty feet away and still getting killed from the momentum of the criminal's weapon. I could take a blow to the arm to tackle some guy with flails. I might have a broken arm, but...oh well.

Re: Nunchuka is there a defence? - 12/10/04 12:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BUDDY:

Please post your views.
[/QUOTE]

You need a bow as in a 6' stick to contend with chucks.

These dudes on here talking about fightin with chucks obviously never have. You don't stand there and spin 'em around you like some movie when you're fighting and you're not likely to start attacking with a roundhouse. I snap my long heavy chucks out at the speed of light and hopefully knock the mother out.