Flesh to bone

Posted by: judderman

Flesh to bone - 01/21/03 05:12 PM

I was taught (many many moons ago) that when striking an opponent it is wise to follow the following "rule":
Flesh to bone
Bone to flesh

So by definition you would use an elbow to the solar plexus, and an palm heel to the face.

So the balancing act is this:
Do you follow the above notion, ensuring that you do not hurt yourself, thus allowing for multiple strikes, or do you ignore it in favour of more devastating strikes, risking injury to yourself?

Opinions?
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Flesh to bone - 03/15/03 01:35 PM

Mostly I protect my weapons. I'm a little guy, and I can't rely on even my best shot to always take someone out. If I throw a punch to the head, stunning him and breaking my fingers, I don't think I'm any better off than before. I think heavy bag work aleviates alot of that, though, through strengthening the ligaments and tendons in and around the hands.
Posted by: judderman

Re: Flesh to bone - 03/17/03 05:46 PM

Good point.

Many know where to hit, but not necassarily how.

As you say Jamoni, protect your weapons. Igonoring blood bourne diseases, I am as careful as I can be when striking to the face.

In turn it also may not be effective using a soft tissue weapon to a soft tissue target.

I'm sure that to some the answers to this question is simplistic, but please indulge me in the name of education.

Budo.
Posted by: Oldwolf

Re: Flesh to bone - 03/19/03 01:21 PM

Its a good general rule, however, and I know everyone has their own opinion well debated on this forum as to opening shots, when going for my over and done with stike, usually but not always a head shot, its bone on bone, knuckles to jaw (shake the porridge) elbow to jaw/temple, toes to knee/pelvis.
Maximum shock but 'none lethal' unlike bone to soft tissue like the throat.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Flesh to bone - 03/22/03 10:10 PM

It depends on the situation and the stature of my opponent. If I can rock em with a solid punch then that is what I'll use but if it is someone I bekieve will take multiple strikes then I switch back and forth between the two to hit them hard but hit them fast and multiple times as well. Given the opportunity however I will instead kick to attack or take advantage of soft tissue. Its all fair in a real situation.