Fighting in the dark

Posted by: roundhouser

Fighting in the dark - 01/13/03 11:19 PM

Most attacks would happen at night because thats when the people are at pubs and nightclubs and its harder to get witnesses if no one can see it. The problem that i have found with night fighting is that you just cant see properly and if a full power punch is coming straight for your head and you cant see it propperly how are you going to be able block or defend yourself propperly. Any thoughts on the subject?
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Fighting in the dark - 01/14/03 01:02 AM

Practice in the dark! We cut the lights off on many training activities from Kata, to groundwork so you can "feel" what is going on. If someone is going to 'sucker punch' you in a dark bar, chances are you may not see it. Hopefully, if you train your peripheal(?) vision you may pick up the punch at some point. That's another training tool we use, lights off and someone sneaks to their opponet and punches. We try to train always with our perripheal vision(not tunnel) and our senses. we try to feel the attack ...it's just an awareness exercise. With Kata, you usually lose your place, so doing it in the dark, tries to get your body to adjust to darkness. We have also trained at night, at a park, to get the feeling of training at night.
Posted by: CrimsonTiger

Re: Fighting in the dark - 01/14/03 08:01 AM

I think this is as good a place as any to stress another often overlooked (or misunderstood) element of training. Body conditioning.

Although all of Senseilou's suggestions are good (we do them too, as well as doing "sparring" blind. Take a pair of heavy water goggles and tape up the lenses with duct tape. Now try to sense your opponent before they sense you...and try to ignore the onlookers giggling. ;P) I personally would rather be ready to take the hit. This ties to the concept of "bridging"...the minute you feel someone contact your body, you know EXACTLY where they are and should be ready to respond. Chances are they can't see any better than you in the dark, so the punch probably isn't 100% effective...but even in the off chance that they get lucky, you need to know your chin can take the hit and that you can retaliate effectively.

Regards,
CrimsonTiger
Posted by: roundhouser

Re: Fighting in the dark - 01/15/03 04:15 AM

I think its better to think and act quicky than be used to being hit and well conditioned even though those are good things to have because if your out at night and some one confronts you and grabs you or something then if you hit hard a fast you get away and hide untill they go or you get away. But there must be some more options than just get hit and take it or hit and then run so if any one has any other ideas please let me know.
Posted by: Cato

Re: Fighting in the dark - 01/16/03 09:45 AM

One of the things I really liked about wing chun kung fu was the practice of "sticking hands". Basically you keep contact with your opponents hands/forearm and learn to feel the attack rather than see it. Quite often the practice is done blindfold, very useful for fighting in poor light.
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Fighting in the dark - 01/19/03 10:42 AM

I think, in a dark crowded arena such as a club, parrys and blocks are a waste of time. My best bet would be a boxing cover-up: fists defending face and head, elbows in tight to ribs and hips, back hunched slightly. This way, you don't have to see the punch coming as soon. Also, depth perception sucks in the dark, so those precise parrys might just miss. Don't kick because your footing may be uncertain (especially on a dance floor full of legs and shoes). In a bar, clinching or grappling can work well, because the bouncer will be along shortly. Weapons in the dark are no fun: beer bottles-ouch!