Using your surroundings?!?

Posted by: MrVigerous

Using your surroundings?!? - 01/11/03 07:46 AM

What are the thoughts out there on self defence as relates to the environment in which you are in at the time. In saying this i do not refer to the concept of shadows, concealment or anything like that. I am in fact refering to the use of your environment as a self defence tool. For example, the use of walls, tables, lamposts, cars and plate glass windows as a tool to hurt your attacker. In short using the objects and structures around you as an extension of your own body. This may sound a little odd and im not advocating it as a defence method in its own right. I was simply thinking of one of the defences to a rear choke or bearhug being to run the opponent backwards into a wall or other object. I was considering how surrounding objects might provide inviting opportunities to increase the damage that you inflict concurrent with your techniques. I can see that this would certainly be of much greater use in grappling and locking terms rather than striking and certainly wouldn't suggest show boating or any denegration of ones defence capability by trying to be clever. However, as an afterthought to a lock or in the course of a throw, the convenient placement of a streetlamp or a motorcycle might well be an advantage to a switched on practisioner who wants to utilise every resource at his or her disposal.
Just a thought
Regds and good training
Mr V
Posted by: judderman

Re: Using your surroundings?!? - 01/11/03 09:56 AM

Very important.
A story from my youth to highlight this.

I was out one night and was set upon by a drunken idiot. For a while I blocked, not enjoying or wanting the conflict. Realising this would not do, I effected an arm lock and spun round. My opponent, now bent over, found his head bouncing (rather satisfyingly) off a parked car, then a wall. We then dropped to the floor, still in arm lock, where upon I tried to convince my attacker that I didn't want any trouble and wanted to go home. Believing that he agreed with this I let him go. This was then the only time I was hit. On returning home and recounting this to my father, he replied with one simple comment:
"why didn't you smack his head off the pavement?"

I highly recommend using anything and everything to your advantage. If a lampost or nicely parked car lends itself to your cause....use it. After my little realitly check I cercainly would.

The difficulty is of course is to be "switched on" enough to realise what you have around you...but this has been covered in other posts by you I think.

Budo.
Posted by: mikelw

Re: Using your surroundings?!? - 01/11/03 06:11 PM

yeah judderman, i agree with you 100%. If there are tools to help you defend yourself more effectively in/around your surroundings then u shoudl take advantage of that. Throwing a guy onto a motorcycle..........harsh. lol
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Using your surroundings?!? - 01/13/03 02:26 PM

I totally agree using environmental weapons. Here in the wild, wild west of the US, we have a great weapon. Cactus..........they are in just about everybodies front yard, and a throw into one could take hours at the hospital pulling out the stickers. Certain cactus have barbs and pulling them our hurts worse then going in. Others are so fine, you need a magnifying class to find them. I like walls, cars-the hood is nice for a throw, poles, one of my favorite, and cement or asphalt. Another thing here is Arizona is called 'desert landscaping' no grass but ROCKS. yes my front yard is completely covered with 3/4" rocks, with planted Cactus. Take somebody down in the rocks would sure be spiritual. Oh, yea, I like environmental weapons
Posted by: CrimsonTiger

Re: Using your surroundings?!? - 01/14/03 07:48 AM

ROFLMAO! Uh oh, watch it Senseilou...sounds like you're losing that Zen calm edge. Hope I'm not rubbing off on ya. ;P

Personally I think I'd rather use my surroundings to support my techniques strategically rather than in application. The problem with things such as asphalt, concrete and cacti (so NOT an option here in Eastern Canada!) is that it's hard to control the extent of damage they do. (Yes, control in techniques is trained, but let's face it, in a street situation the adrenaline is gonna push me all-out.) At least if I'm hitting someone, I can control what the effects of my strike do to them. For me, things such as cars, flora and lamp-posts are great diversions and shields. Use them to cut off angles of attack, move around them, forcing your attacker to always be in motion. Strategy rather than tactical.

Regards,
CrimsonTiger
Posted by: Jamoni

Re: Using your surroundings?!? - 01/19/03 10:52 AM

I think the classic example is the cowboy who overturns the card table in the bar fight (always loved those campy haymaker rights!) But the opportunites are endless.
ever try attacking UP a flight of steps? stand at the top of a narrow staircase, and you've got a serious advantage. Throw rocks and trash. Throw trashCANS. forks and table knives. knock over a bookshelf. Smack someones head (hand/leg) in a car door like the three stooges. throw a blanket over someone and then punch them through it (I saw this one, and it was effective AND hilarious). Someone once said every tool is a weapon if you hold it the right way.