Techniques

Posted by: Cato

Techniques - 11/19/02 05:48 AM

Having been asked to put on a short course of self defence specifically for non martial artists, I'm left wondering which techniques to include. Obviously they must be relatively easy to remember, simple and effective against a number of common attacks. So, knowing you all come from diverse martial arts backgrounds, I thought I would pick your brains. What would be your best technique to include?
Posted by: Jim

Re: Techniques - 11/19/02 06:32 AM

I would have thought palm strikes would be good as they don't require a strong wrist or a proper fist and the palm can take a lot of force.

What is your audience going to be? This may be worth mentioning in more detail as it might influence the feedback you get.

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 11-19-2002).]
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Techniques - 11/19/02 12:55 PM

It is a fair point that Jim makes regarding your target audience. However, as a general rule, regardless of your audience, I would suggest the following based on my experience
of running such classes.
(1)Keep the number of techniques to a bare minimum to avoid "log jam" should these skills need to be used.

(2)Only teach techniques with instinctive movement, ie: those that require a natural movement of the arms and legs. Therefore dont bother with roundhousekicks above the thigh, dont bother with uppercuts or complex stances.

(3)The techniques i'd suggest are palmheel strikes, horizontal elbow strikes / forearm smashes, roundhouse "type" kicks to the knee or thigh,strikes using the knee and stamping "type" front kicks to the knee,abdomen or other low level target area.

(4)The major problem you are likely to face is the inability of many people to be aggressive without good reason. This is fine in everyday society, but unhelpful when applied to a self defence class.

(5) To combat this and as a aid in itself, use of kick shields/punch pads is a MUST. Teach the few techniques you select and just let them constantly hit the pads, emphasising aggression. Obviously you may need to explain why it is important to be aggressive in this situation.

Naturaly most of the above is as much use as a chocolate tea-pot if your audience is a group of "event stewards" or shop security personel or anyone who might require instruction with an emphasis on restraint and control (of the assailant that is). If as Jim says you can be more specific i'd be happy to reply relative to your specific task.
Regds

[This message has been edited by MrVigerous (edited 11-19-2002).]
Posted by: joesixpack

Re: Techniques - 11/19/02 05:22 PM

I see self defense classes of little value unless they are part of a bigger picutre - such as continued martial arts or security training, except for the awareness and personal security ideas - how useful will self defense classes be in twelve months?

This may be more of a critique of my teaching style than anything else, as it is hard for me teach self defense, fighting, restraint/shime waza and even techniques or drills as seperate.

Re: Techniques - 11/20/02 08:46 AM

Yes, you're right. I should've said what my audience is likely to be. The class is being put on at a local community centre and so is open to just about everyone. I understand that the most interest has come from women aged between 25 and 35ish who have had little or no training of any kind before. One of the primary aims of the course will be to heighten awareness toward personal safety, with actual techniques being kept to a minimum, for obvious reasons.

Although I have taught these sort of classes before, I am aware that my training has been predominately in grappling arts, ju jutsu, judo, aikido, and I want to incorporate more simple striking tgechniques, which I feel most people natyrally revert to under pressure. I'm not trying to give a set of techniques for any situation, just to make people aware of ways in which they could fight back. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Techniques - 11/20/02 04:17 PM

On the basis of your last post I would stick with my previous suggestions as listed in my last post. They are tips eminating predominantly from my teaching of women in the age range that you indicated will be your likely audience. Its a tough group to teach. Many of them will have a concept of violence but (thankfully) few will have experienced raw aggression either from others or in themselves. You must strike a balance between brutal honesty which could decimate your class numbers and watering down reality to make them feel more comfortable. I really think that they have to be asked hard questions about whether they would choose to fight a potential rapist with a knife to their throat and be told of their realistic chances against a large agressive male -self defence classes or no self defence classes. The best you can do in my honest opinion is to impart a few techniques that they might or might not remember when push comes to shove but MOST IMPORTANTLY teach them awareness and the ability to make a lot of noise and be very aggressive with those few techniques when and if the circumstances demand it.
Regds
Posted by: Shadowfax

Re: Techniques - 11/21/02 08:14 PM

Teach them to KISS. (no, don't get romantic [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] Keep It Simple Stupid.

These are women, which means they should learn some rape defense. They're gonna get grabbed before they get raped, so teach them how to get out of a grab. I don't just mean teaching them how to loosen someone's grip, how to use the thumb for leverage, etc. . . .also teach them what to do if they're really grabbed-- - bearhug, etc. If they're grabbed and there's any flesh in front of them, they should be taught to bite, using the eye teeth. Bite in small tearing movements- -don't just clamp down -- tear a big ol' chunk of flesh out of the guy!

teach 'em to jam their thumb in the attacker's eye.

teach 'em elbows, pinching, and knees. You may not want to teach headbuts- -they're effective but they might also daze a non-trained person.

Most importantly, teach them that the above ARE barbaric and that they MUST be willing to commit a barbaric act in order to survive- - work on that psychology so that if one of them gets attacked, she won't be hesitant to go for that eye jab. . .
Posted by: judderman

Re: Techniques - 11/23/02 03:47 PM

Indeed so.
Keeping it simple will not only mean it is easier to teach and retain (even 12 months later), but psychologically, the lay person gets a great deal of confidence using a simple technique to devistating effect.

As for the rape training because they are women (awfully sexist [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]), personally I wouldn't bother. Introduce it as a possible outcome. The comlexities involved in defending against rape should be kept to the precursors, ie awareness and avoidance. If your students feel they want to become more "advanced" then so be it.
Posted by: Jim

Re: Techniques - 12/02/02 03:41 AM

Maybe you could get some help from the local police, regarding general issues and material for your course. Afterall your doing something that helps them ultimately.

Re: Techniques - 12/02/02 10:20 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. The class is now under way and going nicely. I have certainly benefitted from looking outside my own preferred arts, and my new students have really taken to the palm heel strikes. All I have to do now is find someone else for them to practice on, 'cos they really do hurt!!
Posted by: senseilou

Re: Techniques - 12/04/02 12:21 AM

I hate to do self-defense seminars. Women usually feel after 2-4 hours they can defend themselves, guys think there are Chuck Norris. I agree with the fact that down the road most will forget what they have learned.. Having said this, I was asked to do the same-recreational self-defense(even the terms are contradictary). I try to get them as many basics as possible, and I use palms and hammers, and try to do it in a way that the concept will stick with them.But it is hard. I always start with learn the concept not the technique but maybe 2 of the group understand. Keep it simple but different. In our style we have a pari exercise done by number, and elbow set, a heel palm set. I teach these right away then refer to Pari#1-heel palm #2 etc. My main concern is that they have something useful that they can remember