Clothing

Posted by: anandan

Clothing - 09/23/02 08:55 PM

Hi, I have been studing martial arts on and off for about five years. I would like your opinion on the following. Why don't we practise our respective arts fully clothed, just as if we were walking on the streets or, going to work. This way, we would learn the advantages and difficulties experienced with casual/office clothing. So far none of the schools in FIJI, ( we have about twenty assorted martial arts schools)allow shoes or casual clothes in the dojo. After all we will not be wearing gi's and be walking barefoot on the streets.
Your opinions will be highly apprecitted
Thanx
Anish
Posted by: Jim

Re: Clothing - 09/24/02 08:06 AM

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I used to train at a club that trained outside regularly. I found that a very useful experience because we were training on uneven ground and grass. You really learnt something about using terrain and light to your advantage. Because the training was outside too we did not wear Gis and were not barefoot.
Posted by: Usol

Re: Clothing - 09/25/02 05:21 AM

Very true what you are saying guys, but you also need to apply it the other way around - you need to think of what you wear on the street.

You can get jeans now that are stiched with lycra - look like normal jeans, but you can kick like you are in your Do Bohk (Gi).

What I do is practice in my own garden with friends from other martial arts, in street clothes. I learn what to do in class, I learn how to do it effectivley outside.

Just a thought

'Sol
Posted by: Eran

Re: Clothing - 11/27/02 11:15 AM

I agree with everything that was written. Most schools do not practice with anything other than their respective arts' uniforms.

Next time you dress up to go to work or around town, try a couple of front snaps, round-houses or side kicks - you realize very quickly how much more limited your movement becomes and how much more selective you have to be when using techniques in the street rather than in the dojang. That's when KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) really works.

One more point - its winter here in Canada - I look around at people in the street wearing think and heavy jackets, heavy boots, thick jeans and long overcoats. What movement can they produce? What targets do they offer? What will that "padding" do to your counters if you use them?

Finally, its unfortunate schools don't use more real life equipment as part of their training. The only places I was exposed to this were The Russian Martial Art (The System) and a Hapkido school - its amazing what you can do with an ambrella, a belt and even a pencil! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/redface.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Cato

Re: Clothing - 11/29/02 09:54 AM

Perhaps you need to re-evaluate what it is you want from your training, and then cut your cloth accordingly. All MA's as practised today are idealisations. We aren't trying to be ninja or samurai, nor preparing for urban warfare. That isn't the goal in training for most people.

However, if that is what you want, and you feel your current style doesn't lend itself to the situations you want it to, then perhaps cross training in many styles could help. Some styles, Wing Chun, ju jutsu etc., aren't reliant upon high kicks and so, perhaps, are better suited to use in everyday clothing. Locking styles such as aikido originated from battlefield techniques employed against samurai wearing armour, and so obviously they target parts of the body not normally protected. I don't actually know of a style that would help you fight on all terrains, but I'm sure someone can assist us there. So, with a combination of these various arts you should be better prepared for any and all situations. I think the training will have to be pretty intensive though.

Alternatively, you could just keep enjoying what your currently doing and practise outdoors with other like minded practitioners if you want. After all, surely it is more important to train because you like to and enjoy doing so, rather than because you think you need to.