How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight?

Posted by: robertdeniro

How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 08/16/02 03:50 AM

Read through all the postings and it makes interesting and illuminating reading.However,the one question I'd like to ask is how many of you have actually used your martial art in a street,bar fight?
Posted by: NAUMatt

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 08/16/02 12:48 PM

Very few of us, I'm sure. We'd be pretty poor martial artists if we were all a bunch of drunken brawlers. From this post and another I read posted by you somewhere else on here, it almost seems as if you think martial artists are under the impression we have some mystical powers or are superhuman or something.

When it comes down to fighting (and this is simply a piece of the pie that is martial arts), I have been told many times by quite a few instructors not to think you're not going to get hit in a fight. People get hit in fights. That is, however, why things such as body hardening are practiced. If you get hit thirty times a day in your floating ribs, the inside of your thighs, all those really painful places, lightly, for several months/years, after a while you can get hit pretty hard in those places without too much discomfort. The topic of whether or not this actually "stengthens" you is another topic, but there is no arguing that it at least gets you used to pain.

In regards to the other aspects of fighting taught in martial arts, there are of course thousands of different techniques taught by myriad different styles, but what they all come down to is if there is NO WAY out of a fight, to strike first and have the mental and physical know-how to be able to do that. Mushin, or mind-no-mind, is the goal of anyone in a fight; to be able to turn off your brain and let instinct take over. Saving those split seconds of "he'll punch, and I'll block," is crucial in a fight. Some people don't have this problem and simply rage in the moment. Not all people by far, though, and the only way to learn to achieve mushin voluntarily is through constant practice, just the same as a jazz musician practicing licks and scales. When it comes time to gig, they achieve mushin and don't even know it. They are simply alive in the moment.

Failing that, martial arts teaches you to strike harder than the other guy, and where to strike for maximum effectiveness.

The backbone for all that, however, is the confidence martial arts instills within you. If you know you're going to win before you throw down, generally either a) you win, for the mind is a powerful thing, or b) your opponent reads that you are not only unafraid, but sees that confidence in you, and decides it's not worth his time. I have personally seen this effect many, many times. I'm sure you have as well. You don't need to train in martial arts to achieve it, either, but for many people who don't naturally have that self-confidence, martial arts is a truly beautiful way to cultivate it. And if you know you're going to win, why bother fighting at all? All that is accomplished is one way or another, someone gets hurt for what is generally a very stupid reason.

To try to give you an understanding of where I am coming from, here is my dojo kun, or law, you could say:

seek perfection of character
be faithful
endeavor to excel
respect others
refrain from violent behavior

This is repeated at the end of every class after meditation with a calm, clear, empty mind, and carried with us throughout our daily lives. Mushin can be applied to nearly anything, and who doesn't need self confidence? This is not about being smug, starting fights, being a bully. If I can look a fight in the face and walk away, I know I am the better man for it, and win before it begins. This is karate. This is martial arts.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 08/23/02 09:08 PM

I think your question has been fully answered above. I'll just say this in response to your two posts on this forum. Dedicated Martial Artists are not superhuman, they are just ordinary people who seek to and in some cases have attained the ability to discipline their minds and bodies and in so doing increase their potential over the untrained man. Physicaly they should have the skills to win if properly taught and diligently practiced. Mentaly, they should not lack "bottle" as you refer to it because from martial training springs confidence, self awareness and control. These two together should be more than enough for the average "dustup" as you put it. Many people practice martial arts,throw their arms and legs about once a week and yes would most likely get battered in a street/bar confrontation with their "bottle" dripping down their leg. It would be a mistake I feel however, to assume from talking to and quizzing the majority of "recreational" martial artists that all practicioners are liable to "bottle it" or get thrashed by a man on the street who is thought of as a bit "hard" -whatever that may mean....

Regds
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/01/05 01:40 PM

I've used martial arts in numerous amounts of conflicts.

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/01/05 07:30 PM

I have used Martial Arts in many fights and when I’m on the job. I won’t sit here and tell you some story about all the fights I have been in.

But my back round is Five years of BJJ and Muay Thai and a lot of other stuff thrown together. Click on my profile on see my occupation and that will help you some more.

And no I'm not some young person, I'm 34.

OCman...www.FrankMir.com

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/02/05 08:45 PM

My training had gotten me out of more fights that I could count. When I was unable to talk or walk away, only 2 times mind you, my training came in handy again since I was the one left standing.

I will state that I believe that I was successful in defending myself, not winning fights. There is a clear difference to me, my instructors, and I hope to my students.

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/03/05 11:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NAUMatt:
Very few of us, I'm sure. We'd be pretty poor martial artists if we were all a bunch of drunken brawlers. [/QUOTE]

Why is that?

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/03/05 12:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mixedma:
I've used martial arts in numerous amounts of conflicts.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. If they didn't work, I wouldn't have wasted 16 years of blood and sweat on them.

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/03/05 05:44 PM

some people might say that fighting never helps and i know that in most cases that is true. But i need some advise about 2 years ago i got beaten bad, by to blokes who where around 20-30. i was only 14 and did nothing and i was with two freinds and they ran, but i never got the chance becase they grabbed me from behind. now my freind has been threatened, his brother has been beaten up (not by the same people) and he wants to fight them. i know this is diffrent from my situation a couple of years ago but my freinds ran out on me and left me to be beaten. There is no way in hell im ever going to let that happen to anyone agian,hes going to fight them soon. im going to go with him, but do i stick with him from the start and fight side by side or let him handle it and help him if he needs it

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/03/05 11:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dazz898:
some people might say that fighting never helps and i know that in most cases that is true. But i need some advise about 2 years ago i got beaten bad, by to blokes who where around 20-30. i was only 14 and did nothing and i was with two freinds and they ran, but i never got the chance becase they grabbed me from behind. now my freind has been threatened, his brother has been beaten up (not by the same people) and he wants to fight them. i know this is diffrent from my situation a couple of years ago but my freinds ran out on me and left me to be beaten. There is no way in hell im ever going to let that happen to anyone agian,hes going to fight them soon. im going to go with him, but do i stick with him from the start and fight side by side or let him handle it and help him if he needs it[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from. Get some pepper spray (preferably a big can). Don't try to be a hero, lol. Get your friend's back, stay conservative, and if anyone trys anything, squirt their damn eyes out, lol.

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/03/05 11:16 PM

Working as a bouncer, I've had to neutralize wanna be tough guys with out a lot of undue damage.
Working as security, i've neeeded to apprehend suspects again with undue damage.
As a citizen/civilian, I try to avoid a fight whenever possible. Getting into a figth for no valid reason is just stupid.
My last fight was a silly love sick highschool kid.
I hate to admit it, But I deserved to lose that one!

Why do you ask Robertdeniro?

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 01/03/05 11:24 PM

Sorry have to correct myself, last paragraph should read:
"My last fight was as a silly love sick highschool kid.
I hate to admit it, But I deserved to lose that one!"

Sincerely,
Joel

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/03/05 12:29 PM

Three times over the years. Two times against single attackers and once against multiple opponents. The first time I was about 25 years old. The second time I was 28 and the last time was when I was 44. All ended within seconds and I have never been hit. Thank the Lord and San Soo Kung Fu.
Posted by: cxt

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/03/05 12:55 PM

Robert

Don't know if counts as a "streetfight/barfight" but I did use MA training to defend myself vs a really violent assult.
Posted by: exceptionist 2

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/04/05 03:27 AM

Do I? Well yes and no. I use the concentration of attack, energy reserving, defensive techniques, and certain strikes that street fighters don't use... they don't use on purpose that is. Secondly, the confidence level is already instilled within, that should be more than enough to scare away a mouthy opponent.

Third, at a time when I was "untrained" formally, I still would consider myself above average. If you put any thought into how you are going to defend yourself and cover all three modes of unarmed combat "standing, ground, throws" inturn formulate a system, then that is your martial way, or art, or system. With that said, keep in mind that you might not be facing a mindless brute every encounter. As of presently, my Martial art as well as my street fight experience have met full circle, and my actions just come out like words from my mouth...no thought process needed.

the exception

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/04/05 10:33 AM

I'm not so well trained that I spit mad technique at people, but I still do things occasionally without thinking. This guy says something, gets a good grip on my jacket, I grab his wrists to pull away, he resist, and then whack! I got him with a right elbow aligned perfectly with his lower jaw. Lucky it was good shot, he was a big fella ! Seems to was enough, though. Left me alone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/04/05 03:03 PM

There are a few martial artist that have used their art to defend others and save their own lives. As a Ex-policeman, Bodyguard, Bouncer, Security Guard and Personal Self defense Trainer, my jobs required that I be effective. This was in a neighborhood that didn't like Cops or renter Cops.

And I didn't make many friends that where not already friends. I can't count the times that my lifes been threaten, or a promised made that they are going to kill me.

I have used my art in the streets and in the class room, usually when I start a Security arrest and detain class. Theres always some Big red neck Cowboy that wants to test me, I now invite it because afterward you have their full attention.

I remember talking with this Japanese style Jujitsu guy because Royces Gracies (I admire the Gracies) started winnng the UFCs. He told me Karate (I've studied various Arts, but Te is my base)is goods but what if you are attacked by someone bigger and stronger.

Like I told him Royce didn't invent real fighting (his family did expose the effectiveness of grappling) but people have been defending themself effectively for 100 years before the UFC.

Now you got to be a special type fighter to compete in the UFC, and really special to win it. But it didn't start there.

I disagree with the Gracie's here, that you can't defend against two or more attackers. This is what I've read that they stated. But I've been there, done that, you can't take success away from the true believer.

If you believe you can do it, if you don't believe you are doomed before you start.

[This message has been edited by Neko456 (edited 02-04-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Neko456 (edited 03-01-2005).]

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/04/05 09:36 PM

I would have used muay thai in a fight a few weeks ago, a bunch of 14 or 15 year old guys tried to steal my bike when riding home wen i was drunk. ended up with them takin crap shots at my rib areas which were badly timed and so on so it was just funny. since i was outnumbered and if i was sober it would be another matter tho

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/04/05 10:18 PM

Good decision. Better than actually hitting one of them when you're drunk and doing some damage. Just smacks of legal trouble, ha.

- Op. Skinny Ninja

Re: How many of you have actually used martial arts in a fight? - 02/15/05 04:50 PM

I have used martial arts, muay thai or bbj in every single fight I have been in, which is quite a few. It helps alot, especially kicks and grappling, also judo is good. I have only lost one fight, but it wasn't really a loss, just a stand off.

I am glad to have trained in M.A.. I probally would have lost if I didn't train.