Protective equipment for "reality-based" scenarios

Posted by: Tracs

Protective equipment for "reality-based" scenarios - 08/21/01 07:06 PM

Does anyone know of a website that has information on how to build some of the "armor" I've seen being used by some self defense instructors? Most of it kinda looks like modified football equipment. I'm particularly interested in learning how to build the helmet, which REALLY looks like a football helmet with ALOT of foam padding. [IMG]http://bbs.fightingarts.com/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks!

Arnold Kelly,
T.R.A.C. System
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Protective equipment for "reality-based" scenarios - 08/23/01 08:45 PM

One of my teachers made a suit.

Leg protection was baseball shin guards

thighs were football pads (not much protection really, but no strikes were actually applied there in his training)

Chest and abdomen was a sparring chest protector and football shoulder pads

Arms were standard forearm guards and hands were kempo gloves (bruce lee gloves)

Head- this is the tough one to describe. using any helmet that attaches directly to the head, no matter how well padded- is going to cause neck problams (whiplash) and leave the potential for blunt force trauma <g>. what my teacher did was to build a 'head' out of a large plastic bucket (soemthing like a 50 gallon garbage can). It was huge! He cut out curves to fit over the shoulders and attached it to the shoulder pads with straps. There was a rectangle cut out to provide visibility (it had a small grate over it to prevent fists from coming through). It provided an amazing amout of head protection since you coulnd't actually be hit in the head. You would feel it in your neck, since the impact would drive the body back (but not as severe as taking a shot directly to the head), but unless you were leaning too close to the faceplate you really didn't have much to worry about.

I understand he has added some neck support, probably from football, since I last saw him.