Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use

Posted by: gojuman59

Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/19/11 06:47 PM

I was dusting off my back-kick the other day in class and was happy to see that it was still powerful and I could place it where I wanted it to go. Some of us started talking about the technique and if it has a place in self-defense on the street. Some said use it and others said that it would be too dangerous to turn your back on your attacker.
I lean towards not using it on the street unless you have already knocked them down and are going to exit stage right. You know, using it as a finishing technique.
I would be interested to know how our fellow posters feel about this topic.

Thanks, Mark
Posted by: Razma

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/19/11 11:57 PM

I think it all depends on how fast you can use it and with power. I've met a few people whose favorite kick was a spinning back hook kick, and they could whip it out too fast for me to react. A very good point that it does expose your back but if you could make that only for a small time frame (Less than a second) it should be ok. It seems like a fun thing to use if your opponent isn't very threatening.

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/21/11 09:15 AM

I wouldn't use the reverse hook kick on the street. First off it is a head level technique that you turn your back to your attacker.
The traditional Ushiro-geri done at waist level and lower is safer. There are many other techniques that keep you facing the bad guy.
As far as what to use on a "non-threatening" individual...
If he's non-threatening why are you throwing down in the first place?

just some thoughts, Mark
Posted by: Razma

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/21/11 11:10 AM

I meant as in you're that much stronger faster and everything compared to the person attacking you. As for why you're throwing down in the first place, there are a lot of reasons for fights to start. However my argument's pretty flawed because if you have a large advantage over someone using a spinning hook kick is out of the question. And I do agree there are more than enough techniques that don't require you to turn your back. I'm just saying that fancy kicks aren't always out of the question.

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/21/11 05:06 PM

Good points Razma. Once again I interprated what others said incorrectly.
I only wish I still had a good enough reverse hook kick to use it in a SD situation.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/22/11 03:46 PM

The back kick (done correctly) has a huge advantage built in. Because the kick is delivered before the rotation comes around it's a very deceiving strike, and often is out and landed before the opponent reacts.

Even in MA combat sports, many people actually throw a spinning side kick, and call it a spinning back kick. On the street, it would be very effective against many opponents.

Now, I wouldn't call it a first line technique, but I would by no means take if off the table.

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/23/11 10:46 AM

Good point Kimo2007. The ushiro-geri when done right is a good finisher. The added benefit is that after you are done you are facing away....run!
I know what you mean about the spinning side-kick. It's very common and keeps you facing your opponent when you're finished.
I guess I like the traditional ushiro-geri the best. It probably generates the most force of any technique that I can come up with. It just comes down to finding the right time to let it fly.

keep training, Mark
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/27/11 04:04 PM

I distinguish between 1) the spinning reverse kick I occassionally throw out in sparring but wouldn't use on the street, 2) the back kick, which I don't spar with but WOULD gladly use on the street if attacked from the rear, and 3) the scoop kick, which is a side/back kick hybrid and the technique I'd use in either situation. Mark, you are correct when you say it generates the most force. It incorporates the largest muscles of the body, and the heel is a sturdy striking surface.
Posted by: Matakiant

Re: Ushiro-Geri...use or don't use - 05/28/11 06:44 AM

If you do ushiro-geri correctly it can be the absolute strongest kick you can produce with your body. But if your already ''that good'' you are better off using other techniques that don't put you in that much danger.

It really comes down to how good you are with it and the situation. Personally I would avoid using kicks in a self defense situation as much as possible.