New Self Defense System?

Posted by: ma-observer

New Self Defense System? - 03/09/11 03:15 AM

In browsing YouTube I came across this dude. I don't quite know what to make of it. I'd be interested in reading your opinions.

If you're interested in more of his vids. Please visit his channel.
Posted by: Matakiant

Re: New Self Defense System? - 03/11/11 10:03 AM

It got fishy when I saw the wood chopping blocks and then I just lost interest when I saw the slapping flurry.

However I did watch 7 parts

It isn't all [censored] or anything like that but I just see a lack of what I would call ''foundation'' and too much blocking with wrong technique and the kind of slapping you see in many Chinese arts.

Evade, react first, keep distance etc.. That is more about self defense than blocking and shooting back like some sort of duelist with a slap machine gun.

I am of course very critical and biased to my own beliefs of what works what doesn't and so on as is every martial artist.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: New Self Defense System? - 03/15/11 04:43 PM

Looked to me like he was standing awfully flat-footed. A non-compliant partner (aka actual attacker) would knock him off balance, IMO.
Posted by: WarblyDoo

Re: New Self Defense System? - 03/16/11 05:07 PM

I agree completely with Zombie Zero that he is standing too flat footed, starting from a neutral stance in self defense is ok but once you engage you should root yourself.

Also if you watch the later videos (part 3 1:25) there are cases where they are catching punches mid air without moving off line, this sort of technique makes you feel really cool during slow speed drills and really sore when you try to do it at speed.

Matakiant, slapping the partner while demonstrating is a safe way to indicate openings to your students without hurting your training partner, if this was his intent I can not fault him. If on the other hand he feels these would be viable strikes in and of themselves I am concerned.

If you want to see a perfect example of how not to do a headbutt check out video three at about 22 seconds where he drives his face into his opponent's forehead.

Video number four at about 24 seconds he demonstrates an arm break which as far as I can see would not work because the elbow position would cause it to harmlessly bend.

Finally in all cases they are standing incredibly close to their agressor at the start of their technique, sometimes with the hands at the hips, especially since this is being promoted as self defence. Basic principle, if my hand has to travel farther to stop the strike than the strike has to travel to hit me I am going to get hit. Anyone who has done any conflict resolution study knows that in a situation where an individual is acting agressively towards you there should be a greater than one arm length distance between you. This distance means that the agressor needs to move their body to hit you which gives you additional time to respond.

It's interesting how at first glance they have a lot of fancy moves that look like martial arts but the foundations of center, body mechanics, realistic timing and proper ranging are all missing.

Oh yeah and the videos are tagged as Shaun Ryu where the two primary presenters are named Shaun. Interesting coincidence.

Just my two bits, someone else might disagree with me completely, I welcome their comments.

P.S. Watch for my videos of WarblyDoo Do coming to a youtube near you.
Posted by: Pillars

Re: New Self Defense System? - 03/19/11 08:57 AM

Originally Posted By: WarblyDoo
Finally in all cases they are standing incredibly close to their agressor at the start of their technique, sometimes with the hands at the hips, especially since this is being promoted as self defence. Basic principle, if my hand has to travel farther to stop the strike than the strike has to travel to hit me I am going to get hit.

This is a good point, which is strange as the videos seem to be Wing chun demos. I'd be generous here and say the guys in the videos just aren't that great.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: New Self Defense System? - 03/19/11 09:36 AM

I'd also point out that in the clips I watched they didn't seem to incorporate any sort of live sparring. Although I understand people may not want to focus entirely on sparring in training, IMO it should done at some point to help the learning process. Even if the "attacker" moved around a bit more in the drills, it might help give the training another important layer i.e. that of an non co-operative partner.