Drawing Lines

Posted by: drgndrew

Drawing Lines - 03/16/09 05:35 AM

Drawing Lines

We draw lines everyday. We draw lines on what is acceptable, we draw lines that limit us, and we draw lines that that we reach for we even draw lines to restrict others. And like I said we do this every day. We limit the amount of money that we can spend, we determine how long is to late when waiting, we make goals. Etc

So after that neat little intro, how many of as actually have drawn predetermined lines with regards to our Self-Protection. If you’ve been in the RBSD game for a while now, then I bet you have drawn a line in regards to what you will put up with before going physical. Or you may have a trigger that you’ll respond to, that too is a drawn line. If you genuinely practice avoidance then you are practicing drawing lines (how many times can I say “drawing lines in one post). You know that walking down that dark ally is dangerous, a line. You may not let your ego rule when your insulted, another line. If you use the colour codes you are utilising a series of lines. You get my point.

We should also draw lines on what we will do or how far we will go, A simple line in this case would be to stop punching (or what ever) once the threat is nullified or maybe the use of reasonable force. You may have different lines (or collection of lines) for different situations. For EG my line is far more generous for a threat against me compared to the line I draw when Kate (my Wife) is threatened.

So why is drawing lines an advantage in a self defence situation? Simple really, its one less, actually a few less things, that you now have to think about. By having these predetermined lines drawn. You want need to think at all about consequences, of rights and wrongs, what if’’s and so on, instead you can put you mind to surviving the situation. You’ll also know that your beliefs and that of the law will be kept in tact. Set your lines according to them and you can’t really go wrong use them as a pre-decider, you have already decided what to do and how far to do it , all you need to do know is watch your lines.

So what lines do you have, what lines do you think are the important ones for Self-protection. And what else can you add to my rather wordy post.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Drawing Lines - 03/21/09 09:07 PM

I decided years ago that I would only use violence is somebody physically attacked me or my family or a friend that I was with, or if I witnessed and could successfully interviene in an serious attack on somebody - like somebody being pulled into a car.

I've been provoved a few times and have stuck to it.

as to where I would go - if somebody attacks me, I am going to use violence to the point where he can't get up and chase me
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Drawing Lines - 03/24/09 09:17 AM

drgdrew - So why is drawing lines an advantage in a self defence situation? Simple really, its one less, actually a few less things, that you now have to think about.

456 - I agree I'll also add that it can sometimes help you get the jump on him as he edging into his attack zone or trying lure you into range with that age old "Do you have a light line?" Which sometimes requires looking away and digging into your pocket. Or telling hm you don't smoke either answer he already moving in range. If you have a designated range of comfort you can step back or have him run into your hand stopping his progress or if you see, sense or feel aggression you can pre empt attack. My angle is you can always say you are sorry rather then be sorry for letting him strike 1st.

But as stated I resist physical aggresssion until there seems to be no other option. I remember me and my then finance entering GNC store I notice a young man that I knew looking like Hercules now. I told my lady friend I wonder how he is keeping that weight on I remember him when he was only 170lbs. This guy turned toward us grabbing my arm asking me, "What did I say"? I thought of all the bad things I could do to him, elbow to him pretty nose, slap his grion whatever. I repeated what I had said, and followed up with "I remember when you were not as big and tone, you were 170lbs and now you probably 200lbs, I remember when you trained up under my Instructor". My fiance giggled as if I was getting sand kicked in my face. I ignored her and he let go of my arm and walked away. I felt good about not responding with aggresion, he would have been surprised and not had much chance to retailate. I mean even though he was cut up I still had 25lbs on him and use to being bigger that plus the element of surprises he would have been in bad shape. Now I have drew a line in the sand if that happens with him again he is done for. He has had his one warning. Yon can't let your a$$ write a check you can't sign, no matter how muscled bound you are.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Drawing Lines - 03/28/09 03:59 AM

Another line you might draw Neko, is not making snide insinuations about a guy you hardly know re. steroid abuse, when he is just trying to buy some whey protein and go about his business

My lines are simple:

1. If provoked = walk away/ignore.

2. If persued =

Verbal de-escalation/empathy + fenced distance maintainance.

3. If persistent =

ask

4. If not inclined =

Tell

5. If ignored =

Dance.

If everything starts with an actuall attack, and I am not suckered and on the floor already, then move directly to point 5. do not pass go
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: Drawing Lines - 03/29/09 09:59 PM

neko - "I ignored her"

never do that... :P
Posted by: hushsound

Re: Drawing Lines - 04/22/09 11:18 PM

mm simplicity is best.

dont fight if u dont have to. i hope to never be put to a position where i need to fight. aka. if my life or anyone that i care for's life is threatened. then i dont see a need to really fight. i mean i'm a senior in highschool and i dont really fight for no reason especially over some [censored] that wants to be tough in front of some dumb girl though there have been points where i wanted to walk up and break his hand or leg, any ways i'm only speaking from my own personal circumstance. so i'm not saying that this is the alpha and omega i just wanna hear other peoples reaction to mine and criticize

but once the fight is started then there are no lines. there is nothing. except me pursuing to do the maximum damage i can do to him till either i cant keep going or he is subdued to the point where he stops. and let me say if he stops it's not going to be pretty. not to sound tough. but your right it's about boundaries, how far you are willing to go. and if i'm already in the shiznit then i'm going all the way. the whole 9 yards