funny kick

Posted by: globetrotter

funny kick - 11/03/08 10:44 PM

reading a book by loren christionsen and he talks about a "funny kick" sort of a low scooping type of front kick. anybody heard of this? anybody have a link to a clip, or a good explaination of how to do it?

thanks
Posted by: DeadlyKnuckles

Re: funny kick - 11/04/08 12:09 AM

Source: http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1880336596/ref=sib_dp_ptu#
Posted by: clmibb

Re: funny kick - 11/04/08 12:14 AM

Like a sweeping type of kick?
Posted by: DeadlyKnuckles

Re: funny kick - 11/04/08 12:21 AM

Source: Ibid.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: funny kick - 11/04/08 07:17 AM

Scoop kick? There are scoop kicks in American kenpo:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=6&vc=1
Posted by: Ilove2Hit

Re: funny kick - 11/04/08 10:25 PM

weird kick...
Posted by: matt_mcg

Re: funny kick - 11/05/08 09:26 AM

At first I thought it was similar to some savate kicks but it's not. Assuming the flipping motion described is done without the leg coming across the body and back towards the target [in which case it's a fairly standard kick].

From the description it doesn't sound very functional, though. I can think of other kicks that hit at the same target and also involve little telegraphing that seem, at first sight anyway, to be a lot more useful.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: funny kick - 11/30/08 04:19 PM

Quote:

...I can think of other kicks that hit at the same target and also involve little telegraphing that seem, at first sight anyway, to be a lot more useful.

Agreed!... Like a regular, ole front kick! When performed from the front leg with a scooping motion, it does the same as this "funny kick" faster, with less wasted motion and less telegraphed movement.
Some folks are just ornery, though, and refuse to accept that the wheel works just fine.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: funny kick - 12/01/08 02:27 PM

I learned this kick, but not to be executed while facing off with an opponent in form. This was taught to us as a kind of, you're walking past someone to the left(so they're on your right side) then twisting on the lead (left) foot and brining the right foot up, toes down hitting with heel and blade, and strike to the groin. If done properly, you keep walking and noone ever even saw the technique. You just walked by and he fell.
Posted by: Rez

Re: funny kick - 03/13/09 11:21 PM

That must be one awesome kick. You can get even with anyone with that kick and they won't even notice it's you.

Re: funny kick - 03/14/09 03:18 PM

I finally know exactly what kick is being referred to here. RazorFoot and I have used it in sparring occasionally, and I even have video of it. I will try to upload it, although my computer is refusing to read the DVD at the moment. I think we called it a "flip" kick, because of the way the knee has to flip up-side down.
Posted by: karl314285

Re: funny kick - 03/21/09 03:19 AM

hi,

In Cuong-Nhu we have a version of this kick, no scooping as I take it to mean. Knee points down, toes down and pulled back, heel is striking surface. We call it horse kick, its short and fast and if hips flexible enough can be delivered from side stance, from behind and even ~ 45 degrees crossing support leg...Target obvious-groin, target advanced after head strike with elbow or hand, grab hair/ear or head and lower into the heel strike, got decent power and its sneaky...

-Karl. Peace. watch head strikes tho, cut your foot on their teeth and it will get infected and the ER Dr. will recognize a wound caused by human teeth and is obliged to call police...(same as hand laceration when teeth cut hand)...better have good explanation as Police come in when MD done puttina weave on your toothmarked laceration.

-karl
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: funny kick - 03/21/09 08:56 PM

thanks all

Re: funny kick - 04/01/09 10:01 AM

Globe -

Is this it?

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/3098dbb11d10ebc3be