If you could do it again

Posted by: Dedicated1

If you could do it again - 10/08/08 08:31 PM

Have you ever been put in a situation where you had to defend yourself? Do you think there are things you would have done differently? Maybe what you said, what you did, or the way you acted? What did you do right and what did you do wrong, that's the question.

I used to work the door at a local Bar, there was a group of people who were trying to skip out on there tab. One of the employees got into an argument with on of the men leaving, and ended up getting punched in the face. I grabbed the guy and pulled him away to prevent further damage and we both spun around into the side of the building, my back agaist the wall. He tried to bite a chunk out of my shoulder, fortunately for me he had to much meat in his mouth to make it very effective. I was completely calm while this was going on, thinking of what I should do next. They only other person close to us was his wife. I looked up to see where the rest of his buddies were and got punched in the eye by his wife. After awhile there where more people around trying to break things up, long story short I held the guy on the ground until the Police showed up.

What I did right:
Stayed calm, and took my time to react to the situation.

What I did wrong:
Underestimated the guy's wife.

If I could do it again:
I would remember that every one around you in that situation can be a threat, I wouldn't have underestimated the guy's wife.

Any one else have some stories?
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: If you could do it again - 10/09/08 12:51 AM

I have sort of come to the realisation that I've never been in a fight or a brawl that I couldnt have prevented by not being a smartass to certain people, or by simply letting something slide. Ive jumped in to a lot of fights, but those could have been prevented my friends didnt provoke them.
So if i could go back, Id just avoid the fights altogether.

That said, I did get on a fight a while back, my mate was getting beat on by a couple blokes, so I ran in and decked one of them, ended up getting pushed over and stomped by about 4 guys that multiplied from nowhere.

Always be aware who you'll be fighting before you run into something.

Posted by: underdog

Re: If you could do it again - 10/14/08 11:19 AM

I was at work when I had "the" fight" where I had regrets. Because the person who attacked me was a patient, I was following hospital rules to hold and control. Everything I did "worked". She, however, was fighting with the stated intention of killing me. I got my nose broken. Next time, I don't care if I'm at work. I fight to win. I don't owe it to any job to get my nose broken. I don't get into fights unless they are absolutely necessary, so if forced into a fight, I'll fight to win.

That was about two years ago. I haven't been in any significant hands on confrontations since then. I really am very good at avoiding fights by verbal deescalation techniques.
Posted by: haze

Re: If you could do it again - 10/16/08 12:55 PM

I would only change one thing concerning every fight I've had.
More violent intent. I had not started any of these fights so next time I would not be just protecting my self but I would become the predator and they, who ever started with me, would be MY prey.
Posted by: Kope

Re: If you could do it again - 10/29/08 04:08 PM

I spent a few years doing security work for a concert venue. Lots of high energy, stupid, drunk people = lots of opportunities for fights. The closest I ever got to having to fight was after close up one night walking to my car, I was accosted by a group of drunks who were upset because of something some security person said or did to them.

I was surrounded before I knew what was happening, but I kept talking looking for an opportunity to leave, and hitting my 'alert' button on my radio.

A few other security guards managed to figure out where I was from whatever bits of the conversation they picked up, and with a number of security people around, the drunks dispersed.

I've always bought into the maxim that if you have to fight, you've already lost.

I have had a since those days, also job related, but of a completely different nature. And most weren't really fights but restraining some stupid person trying to do something really dumb. Since in those cases I have to initiate contact, and since I'm not allowed to try to hurt them, it's a very different sort of event.