How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link)

Posted by: johnnyrockstah

How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/11/08 12:54 PM

This situation is where one combatant is knocked down, and the other remains standing up. I will demonstrate how to get back to your feet safely while an opponent is standing over you throwing punches and kicks. *NOTE* DO NOT break your fall by slapping your forearms/hands against the pavement when breaking your fall on a hard surface like the street or sidewalk, . You can injure yourself. Just bend your knees, tuck your chin, and roll on your back. You should ONLY use your hands/forearms to break your fall (like I demonstrated on the video) on a soft surface.

CLICK HERE - HOW TO STAND UP IN A STREET FIGHT!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/11/08 06:54 PM

nice work
Posted by: duanew

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/11/08 09:41 PM

Don't you find in the back on the ground position that your groin is extremley exposed to attack with both your legs apart?
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/11/08 10:55 PM

Quote:

DO NOT break your fall by slapping your forearms/hands against the pavement when breaking your fall on a hard surface like the street or sidewalk, ........ You should ONLY use your hands/forearms to break your fall (like I demonstrated on the video) on a soft surface.

then why do it at all??????

Good solid advice re standing up in this vid, Johnny
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/12/08 07:02 AM

well far from ideal !

but I guess we didn't have a choice if we were pushed over with some vigor,

I like the fend off with the legs when grounded, I like the straight kick to the lower leg/knee to make some distance and I like the quick get up.

I honestly can't think of a better way in relation to self defence, and this method has worked for me in the past.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/12/08 07:18 AM

Quote:

Don't you find in the back on the ground position that your groin is extremley exposed to attack with both your legs apart?

Well, perhaps if you are FROZEN STIFF into the position! Otherwise, there would be some movement perhaps? Some effort on your part to use your feet offensively and defensively and, that you'd be in the process of...standing up. That's obvsiously the whole point here.

By the way, this very technique is what is often taught during the first week of typical BJJ training.

-John
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link - 08/12/08 09:31 AM

Overall very good.
I can think of somethings I would add but no criticism from here.
If you are knocked down you do need to get back up as quickly as possible.

slapping out on the breakfall is a safer way to take a fall in training. But you need your hands to fight and protect yourself. Just tuck your chin and roll.
Posted by: duanew

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/12/08 11:29 AM

Well, perhaps if you are FROZEN STIFF into the position! Otherwise, there would be some movement perhaps? Some effort on your part to use your feet offensively and defensively and, that you'd be in the process of...standing up. That's obvsiously the whole point here.

Obvsiously....but suppose while you are fluidly being defensive and offensive with your feet he decides to kick you in the nuts? Looks to me like anytime you are kicking your groin is still exposed to any incoming techniques.
Do BJJ rules allow for strikes to the groin? I agree with the ideas about getting up. I have a very limited exposure to the Gracie system for law enforcement (GRAPPLE) so the video raised a few question.

By the way, this very technique is what is often taught during the first week of typical BJJ training.

-John

Posted by: BrianS

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link) - 08/12/08 11:45 PM

Johnny,

Thanks or posting these instructional video segs! Very cool and a nice way to liven up the SD forum.
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link - 08/13/08 12:39 AM

good video
Its happened to me a few times and if you dont know what to do your F**cked.
Posted by: rosssmith

Re: How to Stand Up in a Street Fight! (Video Link - 01/21/09 06:19 AM

Self defense is indeed a major area of concern today. I believe its never too late to familiarize yourself with the latest techniques and equipments. There are numerous resources out there.