Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ?

Posted by: Defiance

Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 07:22 AM

Well, recently some tough guy insulted one of my best friends. I then insulted him back very badly and now he's probably one of the most [censored] persons on the planet. He says he'll come after me and throw some punches at me, yet first i didn't feel scared at all. I've been through quite some fights and i know how to take punches as well as give them. Yet what worries me is that i've found out he's asking a big and strong friend of his to beat me up instead of himself.

I find that to be quite cowardly and now this big and strong is coming after me, as he knows where i live (he grew up in my neighbourhood). Now i honestly feel scared. I'm 1m77 myself but he's 1m85, so quite taller and also quite stronger, as i know he quite often fights in bars or at party's.

So my question being, is it cowardly to use a weapon such as a home made brass knuckle in a fight against this guy or will this invoke even more fights because he would be [censored] for me using a brass knuckle.

Anyhow, in any case i'm not just going to take these punches because the first dude didn't even apologize for insulting.

So err, what to do ?
Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 08:04 AM

Well, you've got your self in a pickle, haven't you?

"I then insulted him back very badly..." I'll be blunt: this was a big mistake. Do you know the nursery rhyme beginning "sticks and stones..."? In my opinion the smartest thing would have been to walk away. If you doubt me, consider what your efforts have brought you so far: fear and potential danger.

Now do you really want to escalate the "war" by arming yourself?

First, you should be aware that being in possession of a weapon without a lawful excuse is illegal in almost every first world country. "Self-defence" is usually not an excuse, unless you've picked up a stick from the roadside just before/during an attack. Check the law in your jurisdiction before you decide to pack the brass knuckles in your backpack/pocket.

In my State in Australia you would be facing a serious fine or possibly imprisonment for the possession alone.

Second - do you really think it would be smart to hit him with brass knuckles? If you hit the guy with this weapon and seriously injured him you'd have a tough time convincing a jury that it was "self-defence". They'd wonder why you went out "armed" in the first place (it will be hard to shift the impression that you were looking for him so as to beat him up). I'm afraid you'd come across as a common thug - particularly with your weapon of choice, a brass knuckle. I'm not being judgmental about this bit, just a realist - I speak as a former court lawyer.

You'd almost certainly do time if you injured him. If you killed him you go for manslaughter or even murder. You'd go away for a very long time.

Please take the time to consider your next move very carefully...

What you want to do is diffuse the situation - not escalate it to a full-on war. I won't suggest how you go about this - only you will know, given the vagaries of your situation.

Good luck. Btw - "cowardice" is the last thing you should be concerned about.
Posted by: Defiance

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 08:12 AM

Quote:

What you want to do is diffuse the situation - not escalate it to a full-on war. I won't suggest how you go about this - only you will know, given the vagaries of your situation.

Well the answer to how to diffuse the situation would be more helpful to me than the entire text you just wrote. Can you give suggestions, all are welcome ?
Posted by: TheCrab

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 08:18 AM

Quote:

dandjurdjevic

moo

dude, just forget about it, keep doing your thang.
if said big guy comes over to your house, walk outside with a baseball bat.
problem solved
Posted by: harlan

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 08:55 AM

Ah, Crab...have you learned nothing since 'the pen' thread?

To the original poster...just make it a point to remember to think the word 'jail' every time you put something in your hand (bat, pen, knife, gun, rocks...the list is endless).

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 09:20 AM

Quote:

Ah, Crab...have you learned nothing since 'the pen' thread?

SHHH!! lol

Quote:

ust make it a point to remember to think the word 'jail' every time you put something in your hand

also make the image of yourself lying bloodied on the pavement looking like you got hit by a moose going 150km/h

anyway its your crib. dunno what the rules are there but if someone intrudes onto your turf here beating the crap out of them with a bat would fall within "defence within reason"

take it out to some arranged street B34td0wn and your looking at losing your virginity to a big tough dude in orange overalls
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 09:31 AM

Are you going to have a friendly game of baseball to bury the hatchet? Cause if you intend to threaten him/beat him with it, that likely won't solve anything! If someone is angry with you to the point of coming round to your house, do you think by hitting them with a bat their anger will dissipate?!

That is how bad situations get worse. Jirgo Kano, founder of Judo once said "When you wake in the morning and leave your home, act as if the whole world is your enemy". What he meant was everyone in the world had the potential to be your enemy if you didn't act in the proper way and treat them correctly.

If he comes round to your house and it is an unwanted visit try and talk him down. Or call the police if you think it is necessary.

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 09:39 AM

everyones a bit too focused on the whole "sit down and talk about it" part of confrontations.

although prize was right, your plan should basically be -

1: attempt to diffuse the situation, tell them you don't want to fight, and invite them inside for some tea and biscuits.

2: failing 1, grab said weapon and threaten to use it if they dont run away really fast

3: failing 2, WHOOP THEY PUNK ASS

Posted by: dandjurdjevic

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 09:44 AM

Quote:

everyones a bit too focused on the whole "sit down and talk about it" part of confrontations.

You'll notice I deliberately didn't offer any suggestions as to how to diffuse the situation.

I'm fairly sure the original poster knows what to do. And he'd be wise not to take advice on the next step from people who don't know the full details of what happened and who the protagonists are...
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 09:48 AM

I think there is a lesson to be learned here, as long as the guy doesn't attack your friend Be QUITE, why make yourself the target. I know its hard to try to be the better man or higher intellect person, its hard trying to be above reproach but you need to try. Thou mouth can get thee a$$ in big trouble, as you have found out.

After saying that if he is fool enough to come to your home call the cops have him arrested for traspassing. If he tries to enter your home/car see TheCrab's reply.

I think the thing is now that you have opened this can of worms you have to deal with it with street law. Do you have anybody in your possee that he respect or fear? Maybe have a cop talk to him or a big brother/cousin elder someone of authority that he won't attack.

I'd anticipate an engagement away from home he'd be a fool to attack you at your home, but fools exist. Most are in their grave. As for defending yourself with a weapon being cowardly STOP thinking like a Macho fool. As much experience and rank that I have if I thought a Weapon was needed to defend myself I'd use it. Plan english if I feared for my life, I'd use a weapon. Its smart to not be in a knife fight with thin stick, and smarter yet not to come to a gunfight with a knife. Unless you are real close, still you both could die.

harlan makes a point jail or not can you live with yourself after upping the atteny like that. A weapon changes the results and can maim or KILL.

Try to work it out civil.
Posted by: karate_popo

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/21/08 11:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

well like was said somewhere else, just keep going on with your life, if he comes to your house, you call the police, if you see him in a public place, tell him you are not interested in fighting and walk away, eventually he will go away.. either way that you fight him, with or without a weapon, there is always the chance that the police will be called and you will both get in trouble for fighting,, it's not self defense, because in a fight there is always the option to run away, if you don't have that option, then fight.. but it seems that clearly there is that option...

Well the answer to how to diffuse the situation would be more helpful to me than the entire text you just wrote. Can you give suggestions, all are welcome ?

Posted by: jeff_andle

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 05/28/08 06:38 AM

Quote:

Honestly, your odds of diffusing (or de-fusing) the tension improved when the guy you insulted back subcontracted his vengeance. Now you have a stronger fighter to deal with but its someone with no real incentive. Here you are looking for a way to give him incentive!
Posted by: KickingAngel16

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 07/31/08 05:48 AM

Bringing a weapon will most likely make it worse. If you are bound determined to take that risk, aren't there the weapons that can be carried around legally? I think the cane is one. Like what many others said, try to think of jail.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 07/31/08 02:31 PM

Quote:

Bringing a weapon will most likely make it worse. If you are bound determined to take that risk, aren't there the weapons that can be carried around legally? I think the cane is one. Like what many others said, try to think of jail.

Using a weapon for fighting ans using a weapon for self defense are two different things. Personally, I prefer to have the edge.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 07/31/08 06:37 PM

Quote:

Well, recently some tough guy insulted one of my best friends. I then insulted him back very badly and now he's probably one of the most [censored] persons on the planet. He says he'll come after me and throw some punches at me, yet first i didn't feel scared at all. I've been through quite some fights and i know how to take punches as well as give them. Yet what worries me is that i've found out he's asking a big and strong friend of his to beat me up instead of himself.

I find that to be quite cowardly and now this big and strong is coming after me, as he knows where i live (he grew up in my neighbourhood). Now i honestly feel scared. I'm 1m77 myself but he's 1m85, so quite taller and also quite stronger, as i know he quite often fights in bars or at party's.

So my question being, is it cowardly to use a weapon such as a home made brass knuckle in a fight against this guy or will this invoke even more fights because he would be [censored] for me using a brass knuckle.

Anyhow, in any case i'm not just going to take these punches because the first dude didn't even apologize for insulting.

So err, what to do ?

1. I'm not going to answer the question posted as the thread's title, 'cause it's misleading. This isn't an unprovoked, self defense situation.

2. In the situation you're facing, use a weapon at your peril.

3. Avoid these people. Repeat, avoid these people. Repeat, avoid these people.

4. If confronted, back off and call the police. You do not want to escalate the situation by getting all macho and getting in each other's faces. The past history of you with these people will not look good to the police. Not only do you have to survive the encounter, you have to survive the legal consequences of it.

5. If attacked, see 4, above.

6. If attacked, can't back out in any way shape or form and it seems that the worst the guy will be able to do to you is give you more lumps than you can give him (I.e.: You're gonna get your a$$ whupped, but not seriously), well, "while he has dinner, you have a salad and a sandwich". Meaning keep it unarmed and give as good as you can even if you're getting the worst of it. Often guys like the one you describe will respect and even fear someone who they've beaten when they're damaged in return, even if less so. Bullies like easy targets.
Don't forget, though, to call, or have someone call, the cops.

7. If attacked, trapped, can't retreat, can't call the cops and you're legitimately sure you're going to wind up seriously hurt, do what you need to do to survive. But escalate only as far as is needed to make the attack cease. Then get ready to pay the piper, dude, 'cause you brought this on yourself.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Is it cowardly to use a weapon in a fight ? - 07/31/08 08:31 PM

Quote:

Honestly, your odds of diffusing (or de-fusing) the tension improved when the guy you insulted back subcontracted his vengeance. Now you have a stronger fighter to deal with but its someone with no real incentive. Here you are looking for a way to give him incentive!

WOW, What an eloquent way of stating that. Well said. I'm going to use that.