4 armed robbers vs. 1 jujutsu expert

Posted by: BrianS

4 armed robbers vs. 1 jujutsu expert - 01/11/08 11:50 PM

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/...mp;pageId=3.2.1

Quote:

Cops say some would-be muggers picked the wrong guy to victimize in Harlem. Maurice Parks, a city transit worker, is an expert in martial arts, and police say when the thugs stabbed him, Parks grabbed the knife and fought back -- killing one.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: 4 armed robbers vs. 1 jujutsu expert - 01/12/08 09:13 AM

Holy shizzle! Did you see the guy doing those breakfalls on the hardwood floor?!

Amazing that the guy lived at all, after being attacked 4 on 1.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: 4 armed robbers vs. 1 jujutsu expert - 01/12/08 03:30 PM

Quote:

Holy shizzle! Did you see the guy doing those breakfalls on the hardwood floor?!

The idea is that you should be able to do them on any surface after all. I've done them a few times on unpadded soft wooden floors and they certainly do reduce the force you receive when you fall. Never tried them on anything harder than that though.

Quote:

Amazing that the guy lived at all, after being attacked 4 on 1.

I'll second that. Just goes to show that it is, in fact, possible to survive. I'd put it down to a combination of good training, lots of experience and probably quite a bit of luck...
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: 4 armed robbers vs. 1 jujutsu expert - 01/12/08 10:49 PM

Back in the 1980's, we had NKJU (National Karate and Jujitsu Union) camps where we had jujutsu sessions on the gymnasium floor. There were always injuries, and some of them pretty ugly, so they went back to mats... but the dynamics of the breakfalls in the video was impressive. Goes to show you what good ukemi technique will do for you...

Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: 4 armed robbers vs. 1 jujutsu expert - 01/12/08 11:12 PM

I'm also an ol NKJU alumni. The first time I ever met/trained with Shogo Kuniba was on the gym floor at Chowan College in 1981. No mats.

I am also impressed with this guy. Not only for taking the falls on the floor but for having what it takes to win the 4 on 1 attack.

I'm sure this school will be seeing some new students.

Anyone know what VSK is? They did not mention the name of the school owner. Just that it was VSK Jujutsu.

A sad twist to the story - 01/13/08 12:06 AM

I have been looking around to find out more about this guy and the school in Harlem. In doing that I found updated articles. It seems the guy he killed was a "good samaritan" who came to help him.

It's hard to blame him for this. He was hit in the head then stabbed and began fighting back. He had no way of knowing who was who or even that 1 of them was there to help.

We'll have to watch and see if he ends up facing charges.

This jujutsu is a hybrid style with connections to Moses Powell's Sunces Ryu and the Vee Arnis Jitsu of Prof Visitacion. It may not be traditional Jujutsu but it's pretty hard corps stuff.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: A sad twist to the story - 01/16/08 10:38 AM

Moses group are considered hard core with diversed background, we have a Soke Powell student here thats presently a Master in his own system. Very fast, hard core and innovative constantly training and learning, sorta young but good at what he does. The Late Prof V's people hit as much as they throw, lock and gf, I like that in what they do. Anyone surviving a 4 on 1 knife attack is a survivor, I hate that the guy trying to help died.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: A sad twist to the story - 01/16/08 11:54 AM

Can you link the article?

Re: A sad twist to the story - 01/16/08 01:04 PM

1 article

1 more

I can't find the orignal that I found. I thought it was from the NY Post. If I find it I'll post it.