Top Ten List for SD

Posted by: JKogas

Top Ten List for SD - 12/15/07 11:45 AM

This was from a thread on another forum from a guy named Adam Singer, whom I have trained with on occasion. I thought it was very well put and might serve some usefulness here....

In light of the recent discussions about SD and MMA I wanted to give you my top 10 SD pointers (I have a similar list for woman).

1. Like Matt (Thornton) said, do not worry about SD if you are slowly killing yourself. Live Healthy, Happy and reduce stress.

2. Don't drink there. You do not belong in biker bars (or similar). If you have to remember the buddy system.

3. Don't go there. Get a list of the 50 most dangerous places in America and stay away .

4. Don't walk there. The unlighted street near the Warf is not a great shortcut.

5. Don't touch her. Does she have a BF? Then stay the [censored] away. Extend this to any domestic situation or affairs of the heart.

6. Don't Buy/Sell that. If you get involved with bad things, then bad things happen to you.

7. Don't act like a victim/target. Maybe you do (not) need ALL your jewelry on. And you might want to stop flashing that cash. Head up, shoulders back and act confident.

8. Stay calm. Count to 10. Imagine how badly a physical confrontation can [censored] up your life. Legally, physically, emotionally.

9. Walk away. Your ego will survive.

10. Be nice. Self explanatory.

Maybe if we do things like this we can just train the MAs for our own enjoyment and not because the boogey man might get us.

(italics in number seven are my own)
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/15/07 12:24 PM

Best advice I've read in a LONG time.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/16/07 12:20 AM

Yeah nice post...
All very good advice
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/16/07 02:03 AM

Words to live by, literally!
Posted by: WC_Lun

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/17/07 02:00 AM

Wow! An actual self-defense list I can agree with
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/17/07 02:13 AM

This is a good post. I would like to see what you have for women. I can add some to this list, as can just about everyone here. But what I might add may be on your women's list.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/17/07 06:28 AM

Well as it was Adam Singer's list (not my own), so I can't tell you what his list for women is. If we use enough common sense - which is all these lists are really - then anyone can stay safe.

You really only need three rules; don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people.

That said, any top ten list is simply meant as a convenience. Its not meant to be complete. It's just a general reference. Women (and men) should try and develop their brains as their primary weapon, bottom line.

-John
Posted by: Triddle

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/21/07 07:23 PM

I don't think anything on this list should need to be said at all. Though I suppose should and does are two different things. It is a good list that everyone should be living by anyway, I'm especially good at avoiding the 50 most dangerous places in America, having never set foot on either continent.
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/21/07 07:52 PM

in order for something to be common sense, the sense it makes, must first be common.
Posted by: VietPanda

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 12/23/07 10:43 PM

GREAT advice!
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 01/27/08 03:57 PM

I would add:

11) Don't wear clothing that tells people you study martial arts, and don't talk about practicing martial arts in public places. Do that and every wanna-be badass in the neighborhood will want to fight you.
Posted by: Dego_Flamron

Re: Top Ten List for SD - 02/24/08 11:28 PM

This is good for covering your own butt, but how about tips about defusing situations? You know, like being a good samaritan with flippin' sweet martial arts skills.