Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts

Posted by: cowgirl

Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/27/07 11:10 AM

Hello, ya'll! I'm new to the board. I've tried to find more information on basic self defense online and in the library and stuff. It's difficult because the results that usually come up are martial arts, boxing, street fighting, etc. I was wondering if there was another name or term used for the type of self defense that doesn't involve the Japanese art or competition. Anyone know what I mean?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/27/07 11:15 AM

You mean combative arts? Try looking at Jeet Kune Do, Krav Maga, American Kenpo. Otherwise not sure what you mean.
Posted by: brocksampson

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/27/07 09:57 PM

Not quite sure I understand. Are you looking for something like a self defense program? For example, http://www.fight2survive.com/ ? I've attended some of these classes to check it out and it's the first one that comes to mind of many similar programs.
These type of programs are not always associated with traditional "martial arts" but are often taught at the same schools. Their goal is usually to give you a quick exposure to a variety of defensive situations. They often do not have the depth of other arts but are geared toward faster assimilation. One of the best places to look may be your local MA schools and law enforcement agencies.
Am I even close or was this all way off target?
Posted by: cowgirl

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 10:11 AM

Um, I'm interested in " The Bourne Identity" kind of self defense (Not Hi-ya! stuff). Anyone seen the movie?
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 10:52 AM

Cowgirl-take Kenpo and invest about 10 years.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 11:05 AM

cowgirl

You do understand that the Bourne Idenity IS "a movie" right?

Besides, the stuff you see probably IS the "hi-ya" stuff with other things mixed in--VERY carefully planned, diagramed and executed by professional stunt people.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 11:54 AM

Bourne Id was a demo of Kali/Silat like arts, which are thought of as Combat Arts. The more popular Trad Eastern arts if studied that way are also Combat Arts, very few techniques destinction in either only the intent separates Sport from Combat imho.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 01:19 PM

Brock is correct. Keep in mind that a series of classes or a few seminars is not sufficient to re-train your mind, emotions & body to react in a real SD situation. It takes years to accomplish this. That's why you must continually train, train, train. Sorry, it's not the popular answer you were hoping for.

BTW, where do you think Jason Bourne's techniques came from?
You betcha...a "Hai-yah" martial art.

I think you should look into Krav Maga or similar school/style & commit yourself to more than a few months. Look @ it this way:

You decide to start writing L-handed (assuming that you're R-handed). You need to use this skill to take notes in all your college classes where you're under pressure to write fast as you discriminate which points to take down & which to ignore. You're taking notes not just for yourself (so you can rely on your memory later) but also for a friend who couldn't make it to class (so you have to be precise). Could you accomplish this w/ only a few practice sessions?

Try it & see.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 06:49 PM

Quote:

Um, I'm interested in " The Bourne Identity" kind of self defense (Not Hi-ya! stuff). Anyone seen the movie?

Wow.....I've heard it all now. Let me fix that for you.

"UH, yeah, like I want something that's effective against multiple opponents, looks uber cool, and that I can learn in a few hours...dir."

Posted by: brocksampson

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/28/07 10:31 PM

It's funny to most of us but there's a big market of DVD "masters" who are selling just what you described Brian. I own about 6 of these DVD's so you better not mess with me...unless you own 7 or more.
(Thank god I'm joking)

Cowgirl, the bottom line is you don't have to pick a hi-yah art to find good training, just a good instructor who understands your goals. And remember there are NO shortcuts.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 09/29/07 06:01 AM

Don't be put off by any of this, you can't have known that what you saw in that movie was still as much of a stunt as any flashy kung fu movie prior to that.

I hope that you do maintain your interest in training a martial art for the purposes of bettering your ability to defend yourself. I would also advise you that regular, long term training is far better than a short course or a few weeks at a self defense camp.

There are techniques and martial arts which provide similar training to what you saw in that movie, although it's far from as easy as it's made out to be on camera.

I'd take a look at grappling arts, such as Judo, Jujitsu, BJJ, etc. Also, take a look at the arts suggested above. Best of luck to you in your search for an appropriate martial art and remember that in terms of self defense, prevention is better than cure; it's best to avoid danger before it occurs, even if you are a trained martial artist.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 10/27/07 07:27 PM

cowgirl, that is just a movie and that kind of cartoonishly clean and efective martial art does not exist.
Posted by: karate_popo

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 10/27/07 07:46 PM

if you wanna learn stuff like that, most likely like they said above, invest like 5-10 years in a style of martial art...it all depends on the dojo that you go to , how much self defense and how much art you will learn.. of course not sure what you mean be art?.. like forms and what not?.. cuz at my dojo, we do mainly self defense in the style of karate, jujitsu and judo.. not much forms.. prob what you are looking for..
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 10/28/07 08:45 PM

Self defense !== martial arts. Although, SOME martial arts can provide you with rudimentary self-defense skills, it's not the same thing as saying martial arts = self-defense. It depends on what martial art, what self-defense program and what your goals are:

Read:
http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com/2004/12/martial-arts-and-self-defense.html
http://ezinearticles.com/?Martial-Arts-and-Self-Defense&id=268340
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/#personalsafety

BTW, Jason Bourne's character is a trained assasin, and apart from it being choreographed fight sequences for the purposes of screen dramatization, it isn't self-defense, nor is it martial arts either.
Posted by: floatfishski

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 10/29/07 02:01 PM

Virtually every move in the non- "Hi Ya" stuff has evolved from it. Besides, having studied Shotokan, Muay Thai, and San Soo for a number of years I can tell you that "Hi Ya" was a construct of movies/tv to begin with. I and many here can teach you some basic principles to get yourself out of a jam but these don't make you a butt kicker. That will get you in real trouble real fast. And even in combative styles such as Krav it takes years of commitment to become truely good at them.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 10/29/07 04:03 PM

...I think we lost the cowgirl. She wants to believe the bull & couldn't handle talking turkey.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 10/29/07 10:31 PM

Quote:

...I think we lost the cowgirl. She wants to believe the bull & couldn't handle talking turkey.

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I think we lost her because she gave an example of what she wanted and virtually everyone preceded to kick her in the guts for believing in fantasy (an assumption may i add) when for a person new to the MA, movies is often all they have to go on and is still probably the no one influence in deciding to take up the path. (how many of you were influenced by Bruce Lee movies)

Cowgirl if you are still listening (reading)

if it is self defence your after ie being able to handle violence in the real world, forget the Martial arts for now. I recommend taking a few self defence courses first. try to avoid stuff where there teach you kata or start teaching you to kick above the hip. Ideally you want a RBSD course (Reality Based Self Defence ) you can then go on and train in a Martial art to further add to your skills and to polish what you have.

try looking under "RBSD" or "Reality Based Self Defence" or instead of defence type in "Self Protection": these will generally provide you with more of what i believe your after, you will still find some arts claiming to be effective on the street (street is just a term meaning in the real world out of the training place) such is marketing.

The reason I suggest to do a RBSD first is once you obtain the skills ability and confidence to be able to defend yourself for real, you are then free to truly explore the wonders of the Martial Arts, knowing that yours (and most others) basic needs are satisfied (kinda based on Maslow's hierarchy of needs)

Here is a link to an article written by Richard Dimitri, Founder of Senshido, considered to be one of the nest Self Protection Systems in the world. it will help you decide if the system/class your choose is good for Self defence r not.

http://senshido.savi.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1119

I recommend everyone have a read,

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/01/07 12:03 PM

Drew -

I think you owe us an apology. You said:

Quote:

I think we lost her because she gave an example of what she wanted and virtually everyone preceded to kick her in the guts for believing in fantasy

That is a very inaccurate take on this thread. MOST of the responders did in fact give her sound advice with minimal sarcasm. I do not care for the aspersion that we are not helpful to beginners here.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/01/07 12:05 PM

*Disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge of your school, system or qualifications beyond what you list on your website so...

My opinion of SD courses, workshops & seminars in general is that they're worth about as much as the certificate they're printed on. Case & point:

Most people who take them aren't aggressive by nature. They're looking to gain some skills that will miraculously transform them into Jet Li (give them the edge). The techniques (some good, others laughable) are rarely done full speed w/ resistance for obvious reasons (avoid injury). Since they worked @ 1/2 speed, the new "graduates" gain a new level of self-esteem. But when the sh!t hits the fan, it's not the techniques that will save your azz. It's the mind-set, the ability to transform from [censored]-cat to tiger. That will never happen in a w/e, month or year of classes. That's why continuous training in increasing levels of stress, resistance & impact is required to alter your genetic disposission. Anyone not committed to devote a serious amount of their time isn't really concerned about SD - they want reassurance.

BTW (& this is a personal question), how do you get certified to teach SD from an organization w/o "being there"...mail order? Also interesting that you studied the "materials" of many SD experts w/o actually training w/ them.

Maybe you're a naturally tough guy having worked the doors & venues, but if so, you really didn't need to study all those various MA.

I make these points w/ several years real-life encounters & several years teaching management skills so I'm not just guessing. And I'm not a naturally tough guy - everything I have has been learned, practiced & tested. I accept that my azz can be kicked @ any moment but I won't make it easy.
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/01/07 04:28 PM

I highly agree that a persons aggresiveness is a big part of self-defense. Though you can not blame a self-defense class, seminar, or workshop for someones attitude towards the attack. Aggression is sometimes very hard for people to incorporate into their mindset, and yes that takes time to learn. I do believe that Seminars can be usefull, I have seen it first hand with a woman that took one. She was attacked and she fought off the attacker and made it to safety. She had only taken one seminar, but she remembered some of what she had learned. I say if you can afford it, take as many seminars and work shops as you can. Pick and choose what you like and don't like. Some seminars might be stupid, others may be very informative. I just wanted to make clear to others that seminars and such are worth taking, it won't make you an expert but it may save your life.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/01/07 05:41 PM

Quote:

Drew -

I think you owe us an apology. You said:

Quote:

I think we lost her because she gave an example of what she wanted and virtually everyone preceded to kick her in the guts for believing in fantasy

That is a very inaccurate take on this thread. MOST of the responders did in fact give her sound advice with minimal sarcasm. I do not care for the aspersion that we are not helpful to beginners here.

Sorry Matt I won't appologise for an observation i made, In my opinion there was "Enough" sarcasm to discourage a beginner.

I will however acknowledge that Most people are helpful to beginners here, just not in Cow Girls Case.

Hedkikr I have to answer you shortly ... a bit rushed at the moment .... stay tuned
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/01/07 05:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.....I've heard it all now. Let me fix that for you.

"UH, yeah, like I want something that's effective against multiple opponents, looks uber cool, and that I can learn in a few hours...dir."

Mine was pretty sarcastic, as usual.

But seriously, "I want the Bourne Identity stuff." Sheesh....

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/01/07 06:41 PM

Brian We all know your heart is in the right place, that goes for just about everyone here.

sometimes we forget how intimidating martial arts can be to a newbie. this particular thread came to mind during a discussion with one of my Female students, middle aged, married, mum etc. she is participating in a 6 wk Female self protection course that I am running for our local Uni. When she first started (4 wks ago) she was like "oh I could never hit someone" and I'm not strong enough to stop someone attacking me". she didn't have that believe in herself, she had doubts. if she had of been cowgirl she would have left thinking she was right.

4 wks later she is asking me if I teach regularly somewhere and if not could she recommend someone. She can and now will be able to defend herself and she now has a that little bit of confidence to explore the Martial arts further.

It is not my intention to smack members wrists, we're not in school and I don't consider myself any more then a member of this community. My focus is and has always been on people like the lady i mentioned. this is reflected in all my post. if members wish to misinterpret the meaning of my posts or attach some ego driven agenda to them then so be it. These arent the people I am trying to help.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 02:11 AM

Quote:

My opinion of SD courses, workshops & seminars in general is that they're worth about as much as the certificate they're printed on.

Your opinion and mine are much the same on this, which is why I decided to do it differently. I teach non-style based, Reality Based Self Defence (RBSD). the majority of self defence courses that I looked into are simply repackaged karate without the uniform (or similar) I am non style based and I'm independent, this gives me the freedom to used what ever works regardless of its origin. if I recommend something or someone it is because I genuinely believe they are good, and because i pay fees to them or receive payment from them.

Quote:

Case & point:

Most people who take them aren't aggressive by nature. They're looking to gain some skills that will miraculously transform them into Jet Li (give them the edge).

most of my clients aren't looking to be the new Jet Li, they just want to be able to handle violence if they are attacked. but yes they are looking for an edge or something to even the score so to speak.

Quote:

The techniques (some good, others laughable) are rarely done full speed w/ resistance for obvious reasons (avoid injury). Since they worked @ 1/2 speed, the new "graduates" gain a new level of self-esteem.

I only teach techniques that are high percentage, and gross motor, they are easy to learn and are generally based on natural movements and the bodies own defensive reactions. infact most of the "techniques" i teach, humans have learned to perform by the age of Three. We do start slow but progress to a more realistic level of intensity. I also incorporate scenario and pressure testing into each course. I have found this to provide a better quality to the improved self-esteem. it is real confidence and not false

[quote}
But when the sh!t hits the fan, it's not the techniques that will save your azz. It's the mind-set, the ability to transform from [censored]-cat to tiger.

This is true and I believe I mention in my website "from Pu$$yCat to Lioness", by far the biggest obstacle for self defence (particularly with women) is the reluctance of the "victim" to attack the attacker back. to prove to them that they can, to bring out that inner lioness.

Quote:

That will never happen in a w/e, month or year of classes.

I disagree in fact I can show you how to do it in less then 3 seconds (see next point)

Quote:

That's why continuous training in increasing levels of stress, resistance & impact is required to alter your genetic disposition.

this maybe be true, so why try to change the genetic disposition when you can use it instead. here's how..... I call it third party motivation.

Most females in my classes squirm at the thought of burying a finger into someone's eye, often saying "I couldn't do that"

I describe a scenario of a typical rape situation most still react the same.

i then ask them to imaging a loved one, a daughter, son, mother, etc

I then describe the same rape scenario but this time with the love one in the victims place. I ask them what do you do.

Suddenly these woman bring out there inner lioness, describing things they intend to do to the victim that would make the toughest mans freckle pucker up a bit.

I then point out the affect of them being taken away from the love one, and the pain the love one would have to endure, asking them what really is the difference between the first and second scenarios this cements the motivator.
I would follow this up with impact work, forward drive aggressive type pad work.

You don't need to change their genetic disposition, it's far more powerful to use it. Remember it's the lioness that protects the cubs.

Quote:

Anyone not committed to devote a serious amount of their time isn't really concerned about SD - they want reassurance.

Everyone wants reassurance, I see nothing wrong with that. I disagree about the amount of time required, the human body is a wonderful thing, God, the universe or evolution (depending on your beliefs) has built in to it some great and effective defence mechanism, the startle to flinch, fight and flight, protection of offspring, blinking, pain recoil just to name couple. it only takes a short time to show someone how to use these in Self Protection.

Of course extra ongoing training is only going to be a good thing when it comes to skill development etc . and I do actually recommend that participants continue there training with a reputable martial arts instructor, to which I have a few I recommend depending on what the student wants. Of course I also offer them training in my regular training classes during the week.

Quote:

BTW (& this is a personal question), how do you get certified to teach SD from an organization w/o "being there"...mail order? m.

This is a fair question Hedkikr, I too would be weary of "mail order qualifications". The qualification is The level One Self Defence instructors diploma issued by Dave Turton (3 x 8th dan) founder and head Instructor of the Self defence Federation (SDF) in the UK. He is one of Geoff Thompson's (BCA) former instructors. After conversing with Dave for over a couple of years on the now closed Geoff Thompson forum and having many personal email correspondences with Dave. i asked if there was a chance of completing the lower levels of the 10 available diplomas offered by the SDF via correspondence, through video etc. he had no plans to make it available as such and had no plans to expand the SDF outside of the UK. he told me that i had demonstrated enough knowledge and sense to be awarded the basic level diploma.

It wasn't till after he had given me it that he told me that I was the first and only to be given one without physically attending the course, and also the first to be issued one outside of the UK. Dave is recognised as one of the most knowledgeable Martial Artists and self protection instructor in the UK, I didn't question his decision, I took It as a Great honour, as would most of us here. it was only the first level diploma and to earn more I would have to attend.

Quote:

Also interesting that you studied the "materials" of many SD experts w/o actually training w/ them

who said I haven't trained with them, truth be told though you are mostly right, I have trained with Richard Dimitri of Senshido and consider him a mate, the same applies to Clive Girdham. It is true I have not trained with the majority of those mentioned but I have studied there material, either in print, online or video.

I had already clocked up quite a few years teaching Martial Arts and Self defence (based on my own personal experience in the security industry and the more effective martial arts i studied) prior to discovering RBSD, it is through my research into effective self defence that I discovered the people I mention. these people are considered to be the best in the business, so i naturally looked into their systems. I have personally been given permission to incorporate each persons/systems material into my classes. Much of what I was teaching before, as far as techniques go, was the same as what these guys did. They however opened my eyes to a lot of other concepts and behaviours, things that when I looked back on my own experiences of street violence rang true and explained a lot of why's for me. I may not have physically training with them but they have influenced me greatly. Information is there if you are willing to seek it.

Quote:

Maybe you're a naturally tough guy having worked the doors & venues, but if so, you really didn't need to study all those various MA.

I wouldn't say tough, I would say I can handle myself based on the fact that I did just that hundreds of times before, but I'm not a Tough guy. It is through the martial arts that I was able to work doors etc confidently and effectively. I am former BJC, a martial arts organisation here in Oz that developed a freestyle system specifically for bouncers and security.(Zen Do Kai). my instructor was "Old School BJC" so i was able to learn a lot from him he had been there and done that. For a comparison of old school talk to a guju man from the 70's (your training was probably old school too. My point being that much of my training had already been street effective (and designed/focussed on street effectiveness) prior to discovering what is now referred to as RBSD.

Quote:

I make these points w/ several years real-life encounters & several years teaching management skills so I'm not just guessing. And I'm not a naturally tough guy - everything I have has been learned, practiced & tested. I accept that my azz can be kicked @ any moment but I won't make it easy.

From this it sounds that we are quite alike.

I hope that answers your queries Hedkikr. feel free to drop me a line of forum if you need anything else clarified.

PS sorry for the long post. I don't usually like to split quote like that as it lends itself open to quoting out of context, I hope I haven't done this here

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 06:49 AM

in my first paragraph above this
" I genuinely believe they are good, and because i pay fees to them or receive payment from them. "

should read

I genuinely believe they are good, and NOT because i pay fees to them or receive payment from them.

and sorry for any other grammatical errors..... I should have proof-read before posting. now I can't edit it.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 12:08 PM

Maybe this should be a PM but since I made my statements & questions on the public forum, I thought I'd respond to your response in kind.

1st of all, I appreciate your detailed & non-defensive response to my querries. Usually any question to a member's qualifications is met w/ an ego-driven series of counter-attacks.

2nd-ly, I know of Geoff Thompson through his association w/ Peter Constadine (a former student of Kimura Shukokai). His/Their material is genuinely valid. However if I were Geoff, I would have to meet & go 'round w/ you before lending my name (but that's me).

I agree on much you stated (especially about the 3rd party - I've used it myself) but the fact remains what someone SAYS they'll do & waht gets done in a moment of high stress are usually 2 different things. Offering 1 successful example doesn't prove that the majority of students will mirror that successful example (but good for her none the less).

The benefit of on-going effective training lies not only in the gross motor skills but in balance, among other components. I've lost my balance in real-life incidents SO many times & I've trained. The average person has far less sence of balance during a physical altercation than a trained person partly due to a lack in "flow" (as opposed to start-stop scenario). Now add the Pain Factor & you have a totally different situation - but we can't abuse our students so now what?

BTW, I also need to state for the record that 10 trs in a non-SD oriented dojo (sport) isn't much better. But the liklihood of getting hit, kicked, strangled or joint-locked (w/ the resulting pain) is greater w/ long-term training than a seminar.

Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 01:29 PM

On the subject of "loosing balance". Last night I was teaching my usual Thursday evening class at the local rec center. Living in Florida we have a lot in common with Iraq namely sand. I was demonstrating how to do a normal front snap kick with maximum speed and power. The floor is smooth concrete and had a become coated with a light coat of sand and dust from all the foot traffic. The kicking demo turned into breakfall. I pulled myself almost vertical. Goes to show how things can go bad no matter how experienced you are.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 02:39 PM

drgndrew

That is "if" you buy that she was sincere to start with.

Not sure that I do.
The more so since she didn't post in the beginners area to start with.

Nor did she hang around to see whom said what.

In any case I have a personal problem with people that show up, ask questions...get answers...and are never heard from again.
Personally find it rude....it reduces living breathing people to simply blips on a screen...treats them not as people but as merely nameless, faceless, "net-entities" that simply wait around for me to ask my questions, no need to say "thanks" no need to treat them as people at all....treat them as a mere extention of "google" or "Ask Jeeves" that works for FREE.

At the very least, I feel that if you ask question, a person should have the commen courtsy to say "thanks" or even tell people that is NOT helping.

True, sarcasm can be a real turn-off.....(unless your me and consider it a needed part of life. )but if someone is that out-of-touch about martial arts and is that fragile in terms how they are "spoken" too.....its entirely possible that we did/are doing them a real favor by causeing them to drop the MA now, before they invest alot of time and money on something that is NEVER going to live up to their expectations.

Better that she is disappointed and discourged now---rather than 3 years and several $1000 later.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 04:30 PM

I assume (from personal experience & the statements of others) that the majority of newcomers tend to lurk anonymously prior to committing to membership. During the lurking process, anyone w/ normal intelligence should notice the range of contributions on this forum.

Everything from highly knowledgable to misguided silliness; respectful to sarcasm; welcoming to rejecting; serious to humorous. And she should have considered her choice of words...what was it...oh yeah,"Hi-ya! stuff". That says disrespect more than uninformed.

owari

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 08:54 PM

G'day Hedkikr

[Quote]
2nd-ly, I know of Geoff Thompson through his association w/ Peter Constadine (a former student of Kimura Shukokai). His/Their material is genuinely valid. However if I were Geoff, I would have to meet & go 'round w/ you before lending my name (but that's me).

at the bottom of my bio on my website I state that I am not associated nor affiliated with ANY of the guys I mentioned. I do not use Geoff's name other then to recognise him (and the others) for influencing my "system". I have ben given permission by Geoff (by private email and on his old forum) to use his material in my teachings. i do not claim to be a member of the BCA nor a student of GT. I have simply taken the time to ask for permission before incorporating the material, I also acknowledge the source of the information. How many people teach the fence now a days, how many of them acknowledge GT as the leading authority on it.

Hope that clears things up. i do not wish to imply a link to these people for the purpose of making myself look good. I use there name because I use there stuff and they deserve recognition for it.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post. getting them to do it under pressure (and for real ) is the real challenge for any WSD instructor, teaching what to do is easy.

G'day CXT
I take a different view. if in deed it was not a genuine request by Cowgirl, and we all provided the best answers we could, then no-one is really adversely effected there are good answers recorded for others to view.

where as if we assume non genuine intent when indeed there was, and we shoot them done with sarcasm etc then we risk losing a budding new Martial artist, or we help promote (albeit indirectly) that women can't do this stuff or similar false believes.

I would rather give good advise to someone not wanting it then to not give advice to someone who does.

Guys. the fact is someone new to the martial arts often don't know (hence they ask), saying "Hey-ya" as a reference to that kind of martial arts isn't an insult, I've often heard people refer to the Martial Arts as "Hey ya", how many here has had a mate refer to their martial arts as origami or chop suey etc. We have to start thinking from the point of view that beginners don't know anything about the arts. I may be different but my concern is the beginner, I can offer advice to those already training, but to be responsible for turning a person to the martial arts thats life changing ( and It makes me feel good too)

Ok some don't want to betaken for a ride , I have no problem with that. If i get taken for a ride, then I'll enjoy the scenery, it isn't going to make a hell of a difference to me other then 5-10 minutes of typing time. ( really it's just a review of the basics)

anyway thats my thoughts on it. take from it what you wish leave the rest.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 08:59 PM

Drew, I admire your patience and optimism.

Hippie. J/K man.

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/02/07 09:44 PM

Quote:

Drew, I admire your patience and optimism.

Hippie. J/K man.

Matt i must be in that part of the cycle, I'm sure I'll become an arrogant twit again soon

Ps chose the smiley because I liked it

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/03/07 10:42 AM

Drew

And I don't disagree, and we can have different views as what consists of "good advice."

Re: Self Defense Vs. Martial Arts - 11/03/07 04:49 PM

I'm with you CXT,