Underestimating Front Choke

Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 06:51 PM

Hey guys,

I am kind of confused. I always find myself thinking being choked from the front would not be hard to get out of. I have self defense techniques to get out of it, but I feel I wouldnt need them. Am I wrong to think that having both hands free from a front choke would make things extremely simple? I believe having my arms and legs open and having his body in front of me would make getting out of it simple.

And comments and explanations would be nice. Thanks.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 07:10 PM

I think that its possible that you could be "out" before you're even aware of what's happening.

Depends on who's doing the choking and other factors. Bottom line, learn practicable defenses to chokes.

-John

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 08:11 PM

Yeah I have learned a couple for that specific choke, and strangles. I just think if I know whats going on and they are in front of me I can punch them out, knee them, get out of it pretty easily
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 08:48 PM

As John said, it depends on who is choking, and what the environment is like. A really strong guy can put a hard choke on you very quickly - even more so if he gets you on the ground. I am assuming we are talking about the standard two handed wind-pipe choke.

If you are standing, and you can keep from getting your back against a wall, getting out is much easier.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 08:52 PM

Yeah I mean the 2 handed choke. I dont have a defense against a wall so I would think a knee to the groin would be more useful there. And palm hand to the nose maybe.

But true a strong guy could take my breathe away quickly
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 09:05 PM

As was said, it depends on who is doing the choking. Don't forget it isn't just the sqeezing around your throat, it's the thumbs being pushed in to crush your wind pipe. So the bottem line is, react quickly since you may only have a few seconds to defend yourself.
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/16/07 09:29 PM

one word ......... "Shredder"
Posted by: Joss

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/17/07 10:31 AM

"But true a strong guy could take my breathe away quickly"

I'll try not to read too much into that sentence.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/17/07 10:50 AM

The 25acp of the tussleing world, I compare the two because they are thought of as puny attacks and easy to survive, but they amount for a fair amount of street kills.

A Real two hand Front Choke can be a skilled neck snap, or a vicious crazed attack, lifting your body off the ground or forcing you to the ground. We train in the begining as a basic principle (with multiple counter moves to the attacker being on the ground) that grows into various (if that don't work) counter drills. At the intermediate/advance level its trained with vicious realism. We train it at four ranges "Instants before the grasp", "The Grasp before the arms bend", "The Grasp at full choke, armed bent" and the SOL "Choke mounted". The counters are full intent and as vicious as the attack, I train this as attempt upon your LIFE. This may shock some but we trained the SOL choke with deadly force attempts. Double thumbs into the eyes or if you followed the class be prepared strategy. Get your knife out and stab him in the temple, cut his arm joint, stab/slash under his armpit and then cut hsi jugglar with the blade bc you are SOL.

This is an attack of a Desperate, or skilled or Crazy person, it is an attempt on your life.

I had a begining (really smart academicaly) 13 yr.old kid 8th kyu ask, "why train to defend a 2 hand front choke?" I told him "you will more likely have to defending against a 2hfc then a flying side kick on the street." Trust me this is vital, if or when you need it.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/17/07 01:26 PM

That's an eye-opener, Neko. We had not regarded it that seriously. That will have to change, obviously.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/17/07 01:33 PM

Yeah never realized how deadly it is.

And got to add hahaha to the post before that. But no I am into chicks

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/17/07 04:36 PM

Joss & WD thats what the MAs is about your statement, filling in the gaps, with action.

WhiteDragon - There ain't nothing wrong with personal decisions, but man I am glad that you are into chicks, or desire women. But its not anything wrong with it if you didn't.

Man I can't lie worth a damn can I. Trying to be polictal correct. Don't want to hurt anyones feelings.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/17/07 10:39 PM

Lol its cool but I definately like women.

Oh learned another self defense against a choke today. Brought one arm up and around one of the arms of the opponents. Other arm crashes down on the opponents opposite arm. They form a circle from opponents neck to the triangle right below your chest (forget what its called). You squeeze or put your fingers into it and it hurts like hell.

I need to work a lot on that though. It definately wasnt a smoothe as I would have liked it, but I can practice it.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/18/07 10:10 AM

WD - One test of if it will work is once you have the technique down, try applying it while he is moving you backwards or side to side, or with his arms bent trying to force you down. If it takes too much time, its probably gonna be too late. You should step to one side of his shoulder weaken his grip strength and drop your chin to counter thumb pressure off your throat.

Train that techniuqe so its efficent then test it against a real choke moving you, even then you don't know because it could happen suddenly. If it takes to long to get an reaction it might be too slow.

Also if the guy still standing don't just restrain him in a hold, use your hips or strikes to bump or knock him to the ground. We even push the attacker to the ground, after several knees to grion or whatsever open and elbows to the head, sometimes you have to help them down.

What level are you? I don't want your instructor mad at you. But train at home to take him to the ground (U stay standing) and no standing holds unless U are breaking something. Still its easier to break with the ground as a brace.

Keep training hard, I am as long as I can. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/18/07 04:23 PM

In real life, a choker won't stand in front of you w/ both hands on your shoulders. This scenario is the bread & butter of most Saturday morning SD seminars that present you w/ an official certificate of completion @ the end of the 4-hr class. BS

In real life the choker will throw you to the floor by your neck before you know what's happening or grip your neck w/ one hand as he punches yopur face w/ the other.

Yes, it's nice to know different techniques against a front or rear choke/strangle but it's more important to build a sence of awareness & willingness to use immediate & decisive force BEFORE he lays hands on you.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/18/07 05:40 PM

Yeah its good to do something before you get attacked, but it might still happen. You should be ready for when it is.
To be fair though we dont grab shoulders for choking. We just push our thumbs on the side of their necks so they can breath but it still is harder.

Yeah everyday I work my self defenses and try to think quicker so they become natural. Hopefully they do.

And in Tae Kwon Do I was a junior black belt. Been doing kungfu for 3 years but one school after the other. First school went to my 3rd sash (green). Dont have one now but going to the third rank in August. I am not really interested in ranks but kind of want a start again, because I will be in this school for a while.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/19/07 01:06 AM

Quote:

In real life, a choker won't stand in front of you w/ both hands on your shoulders. This scenario is the bread & butter of most Saturday morning SD seminars that present you w/ an official certificate of completion @ the end of the 4-hr class. BS

hedkikr - Thats just one scenario of how a 2hfc could go, as I mention there are some things that happen before it could end to that position, the mounted strike. But really alot of 2hfc won't let go of the choke, if you can't breath why would they. One thing I try not to do is put all Chokes or attacks in one box, granted it could happen that way. But could just be the thumbs up under the chin or behind the head and they snap your neck. It could be a hanging and shaking neck wringing. It could be a woman crazed that so attached to the choke that she kills you, as in the 60+ yr. old woman that killed her attacker recently, with a 2hfc.

Your scenario is just one of the ways it could happen and you defined it as if he just appears in that position. I defined it at 4 different stages, that developes into the SOL choke. My defense against the 2hfc comes from seeing them, defending against them in real situations, training LEO and security officers (thats report back with sucessful result on the street), it also comes from taking these drills to the extreme in training. Not just training one aspect of a attack. Now I'm not saying these methods are full proof a skilled person that can snap the neck in seconds is hard to defend against, its still a version of 2hfc.

Except for the begining stage of training, who really trains a serious defense against the 2hfc by placing the hands on the shoulders???

Your scenario could be true but its only describes one way that a 2hfc could happen. And I don't give ceritfication after my seminars, I just give a hand shake and a picture if they want.

WD - Keep training hard, I know I will. With your TKD and Kung-fu experince you are and should be training at the advance level.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/19/07 01:31 AM

This wasn't a personal dig to anyone here...

I was just saying that all those so-called SD classes & seminars designed for "self-confidence & empowerment" USUALLY teach choke defenses this way (I've seen too many of them). Most of the skills are marginal @ best & pathetic/comical @ their worst.

I too have taught personal safety (their term) within the setting of inpatient psychiatric units where striking the aggressor is considered the last resort. However, I teach that if someone gets you by the throat, all bets are off due to the extremely dangerous nature of this attack. I've seen a number of like attacks & have never seen anyone stand there throttling their victim.

If avoidance was impossible & you're instantly in the vulnerable situation (often on the ground), you gotta do what you gotta do & that's often going for the eyes, stabbing w/ a pen, squeezing testicles or breasts, etc. Don't try to remember that super technique that worked 5 yrs ago in the Saturday morning SD class. You'll black-out before you're able to do any fancy MA tricks. And after you're unconscious, you could be raped or dead.

That's all I'm saying.

owari

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/19/07 09:52 AM

I understand I didn't take it personal and admit that you made a solid point, in the viciousness and transition of a 2hfc.

I was just stating that it comes in several variations and like you know can be done efficently and deadly. But just because its a deadly attack doesn't mean we can't prepare for it some what. Like you I believe time in reacting is important usually what works is quick, simple and effective.
We are in accord, in that we state, don't under-estimate the 2hfc!

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/19/07 09:02 PM

I try and practice against the 2 hand choke to the neck. I know it can come many ways but that is the main way I see it coming (doesnt mean it is that way). I do keep training, get them a couple times every day as well as normal training. I will keep training them even after they become second nature to do.
Hopefully it wont come but if it does I should be ready for it. But true if it comes a way I am not prepared I hopefully will have time to do something to get out of it. Like you said strikes to eyes, groin, any way to loosen them up and attack them.
Posted by: JAD

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/20/07 12:34 AM

I've seen Nami Ju Jime put the uke out in the time it takes to throw him. Remember, many chokes reduce blood flow to the brain with pressure on the carotids. Loss of conciousness is very fast.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/20/07 05:10 AM

G'day guys,

I've enjoyed a few quite ones so have decided to venture out of my Reigendo cave, and join in for a word or two.

Humans have a natural inbuilt desire to prevent other peoples (animals) hands (claws and teeth) coming towards our throat. infact we automatically finch to swat away any object coming at our head and throat area. For some one to apply a f2HC they must do just that

It amazes me that so much SD is "stuff up recovery". of course this is important but it is secondary. One of my teenaged students asked how to defend this type of attack (a f2hc). I said to him to "put it on me and we'll see". Every-time he moved his hands towards me i simply redirected them and re positioned my self. He said something along the lines of "thats not fair your not letting me do it" I simply smiled and said "exactly". ( hey I'll be honest it was one of those teacher-grasshopper type moments, but he got the point. )

Heres the thing, in self defence lessons everywhere, it is almost always taught to intercept a punch, to block, redirect whatever before it lands, yet choke holds and the like are nearly always taught from the "On"position (not always but in general) the line of attack for a 2hfc is virtually identical to the line of attack for a punch ( as is the lapel grab, finger point push etc. It is a straight attack along the centerline. All straight attacks along the centre line can be negated by simple redirection, either of the target or the weapon path. the exact method of defence is up to you and your particular style.

On a similar but slightly different tangent, in the same way as how prevention is lacking in most defence for chokes and the defence starts after it is applied. how often to you see defences for punches after they have made contact. It's important to know what to do if a choke gets "put on" but it is equally important to know what to do if a punch lands. ( FC sporting arts to more to address this then self defence arts from what I've seen)

Well my glass is empty ( no I'm not being metaphorical , my scotch needs refilling ). I hope I have contributed to the discussion in a positive and informative manner, thats is my aim.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/20/07 08:29 AM

Good point and we look at it the same way. I've taken Shoshinkan's HAOV list (a "sticky" in this section) and am trying to develop some basic responses to them for our dojo. One of the first observations was that I should reduce them to common groups as much as possible to simplify the reponses. The idea is that it is better to have a few good responses that are honed to reflex, than dozens that you can't remember under stress.

Doing so seems to place the "two-handed lapel grab", "two handed chest push" and "two front choke" as virtually identical IF, you deal with them BEFORE they reach you. As you point out, this is certainly preferable, though it doesn't eliminate needing to train the escapes as well - since no plan always works perfectly.

A major eye-opener for me from Neko is that chokes must be clearly realized as "deadly" attacks - not just another "haymaker". And if you are receiving one, you are in real danger of dying - RIGHT NOW!!! This is just as if the assailant had a weapon. We had looked at the front choke as such a "dumb" and vulnerable attack that we had been remiss in accepting this.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/20/07 10:12 AM

Spot on joss.

Many attacks are virtually Identical it is only the end result that varies. It deserves another thread by its self, but ( as I see it ) it is more important to recognise the line the attack is coming from/along and where there energy is coming from and going to. ( energy meaning the energy of the attack not the chi) But getting into this now will just take this threat OT.

Neko is right a choke is deadly and it should be taken as an attempt on you life and defended as such. this options up many more more defensive tactics to you ( the chokee). It becomes more moral , ethical and legally acceptable to (for example) gouge out an eye when someone is obviously intent on taking your life or at least is showing no regard as to the the potential loss of your life as a result of there actions.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 07/20/07 11:45 AM

Sempia or Sensei Joss & Sifu drgndrew - You make a good point in your scenario misdirecting a in-coming attempt at your head or thorat is instinct, but a so is a deer escaping a Tigers charge. Most times IF they see it at distance, the Cat goes hungery. What makes the 2hfc/Tiger attack work is the element of surprise, we sometimes practice it coming around a corner greeted by 2hfc, you wake up (as it was appiled on me once, guy got hurt pretty bad) 2hfc, or the crash and bang 2hfc. As I its been talked about on this forum the simple punch (in all its variance) is a basic easy to stop technique but it accounts for more KOs or setup for the KO then almost any technique taught (from my personal experience). To paraphase a great simiplton Simple is as Simple does.
Admittly it is almost the same motion as a two hand thrust to the throat easy enough to avoid, but once appiled deadly or effective as double punch that lands.
Students hit the heavy bag with a one hand punch, then try it with a U-punch much more power.

The 2hfc can be appiled to tackle or to slam u against a wall, both attacks given 2nd and 3rd attempts at grasping the throat. I know in a way I changed the basic concept, but a punch usually don't land by its self, unless you set it up with a combo. Then it becomes very effective thus it is with the 2hfc, this is only my opinion, don't have to be right just something else to consider.

It might sound like I'm paranoid, but I think theres a difference in that and being prepared. Even if the difference is ever so slight. I don't see anything wrong with that lesson U taught. Don't let them grab you. Its our stage 2 method, but what happens if you are surprised or wake up in the SOL choke!!!

I started writing this before both your last reply, I should have deleted most of it, but anyway.

Posted by: schanne

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 08/07/07 10:52 AM

For what it's worth I would rather have someone attempt to choke me from the front vs a rear naked. So many techniques that can counter a front vs rear attack.

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 08/07/07 05:24 PM

Yes, and for obvious reason the attack from the back is one of the most vunerable. Really in a real street fight the back is a vunerable region, but alot of people that don't know how to attack it properly. They most of the time try to punch the back of the head one of the hardest area on the head.

But the RNC is threatening, and will take an eye giuge over the shoulder or whatever means it takes to loosen it.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 08/07/07 06:32 PM

Quote:

Neko is right a choke is deadly and it should be taken as an attempt on you life and defended as such.

Yup.

I'll take it one step further. Someone squares off against you in a BJJ/Wrestler style stance... assume he's gonna try and choke you. Kill him.
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 08/07/07 06:36 PM

btw, Neko,

Remember: "You're not paranoid if they're really following you."
Posted by: schanne

Re: Underestimating Front Choke - 08/08/07 08:29 AM

During my bouncing night club years we broke up many fights by applying a fast rear choke to seperate fighters. No matter what anyone says they are extremely difficult to escape from if you are not trained in the arts. (Most)Most people just panic & struggle to much thus pass out or go limp rather quickly...fight over. Yes... eye gouge, instep stop, rake the face, groin grap, heel to groin, back kick to knee & etc all will help escape the rear choke. There are other technique as well (kata bunaki from Sanchin) that can be applied as well to evade the choke.