How to take a punch and other attacks?

Posted by: FightingFeet

How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/22/07 11:34 AM

Anyone knows the right way to take punches (or maybe kicks) from the opponent, especially when blocking of the attacks fails? Recently i read from a website and it stated there how to take punches, the following is the link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Punch
Is this the correct way?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/22/07 11:49 AM

Link is not working for me. However, boxing has some of the best "at-the-moment" strike defenses. "Rolling" with strikes, as well as "bobbing and weaving" are vital skills to have. You can't block everything!

Timing has a lot to do with it, too. Sometimes, it's better to step into a strike (cut it off) than it is to back up.

If you work some contact-sparring, these things will become apparent.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/22/07 12:02 PM

Learn how to keep your feet and you'll always have somewhere for the energy from the strike to go. Disconnect your feet (from a centre of gravity point of view) and the energy from the strike has nowhere to dissipate so it rattles round in the body. A peach of an uppercut landed straight on the chin is a pure example of this principle.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/22/07 10:58 PM

How to take a punch.

Heres my take. You can turn the waist or you can move your feet. Take your typical straight right. If you use a right hand lead, like me, then you can twist your hips so that your left arm moves backwards as you twist, and take a glancing blow or it may miss completely. Either way your right hand is in excellent position to counter, while your left hand is in good position to grab the arm or sleeve of the opponent stalling his defense if only for a second.

If your left hand lead then it would probably be a better option to thrust the hips backwards quickly or take a quick step back or forwards. It depends on the opponent and the attack.

Also, if you have time to perform a movement like a bob and weave or slip then you have the ability at that time to attack the opponent.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/23/07 07:06 AM

Train not to get hit in the first place, train to block when that fails and then if all else fails, your full contact sparring will have served you best in teaching you how to take a hit.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/23/07 07:31 AM

I agree with Leo here. You'll learn everything you need to learn during full contact sparring. After all, experience is the best teacher.

However, having good body structure will do a lot for your ability to survive a shot.

First of all, stay just out of range so your opponent has to take a step to hit you. This buys you time to see what's coming, giving you time to counter it.

We teach the beginners to do the following when in close:

* Keep a "bull neck" when in close. Don't extend your neck. Keep your chin down and your shoulders up.

* Keep your hands high on the temple region and learn to drive your shots with your legs and hips.

* Bend your knees and keep your level slightly lower (and slightly lower than your opponent when possible). Make the shots that he throws land on TOP of your head as opposed to your chin / jaw. This won't bother you much at all and will only hurt him if he's not wearing gloves.

* Pull your stomach in and roll your shoulders slightly forward. This reduces the targets available to your opponent.

* Learn to fire out of this structure on the half beats during your opponents punches. Thats when he's open to counter punching.

Play the game a LOT. If you're using that short range structure that I just described, you're going to fatigue the neck and shoulders. It must be remembered however that you're not going to stay in one place over the course of a fight. You'll move in and out. When you're outside you can relax your structure a bit more, then, tighten up when you're in that middle range.

And SPAR! You're learn that getting hit is part of the game and that it isn't so bad, depending on WHERE you are taking those shots.

-John
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/23/07 08:07 AM

What belt are you at in TKD?

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/23/07 08:59 AM

Erm... All of you here might drop your jaws or laugh at me if i said I'm a Poomse belt(Junior black belt)... Unbelievable huh? Arh... I'm getting embarrass telling my belt level in TKD... I hope all of you won't mock at me...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/23/07 10:42 AM

FF -

I don't mock anyone that seeks to improve their skills.

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/23/07 11:09 AM

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/24/07 02:47 AM

I asked not to mock you, but just so my reply can be put in the proper context with regards to what you should or ought to know at the level that you are at now.

If you are a Junior Black, meaning you are now below 16, it at least gives everyone here an idea on how to address your question. If you are say a 2nd degree Senior Black, then you deserved to be mocked and perhaps give your belt back. If you are now say a yellow, then your questions are perfectly understandable.

I am therefore surprised at your questions because all the matters implicit in your questions were or ought to have been already addressed from green belt onwards (because that's when free-sparring is a requisite for belt promotion tests from then onwards) otherwise how could you have sparred well enough to get promoted all the way to Junior Black, which is I think about 5-6-7 tests away from green?

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/24/07 05:43 AM

I haven't gone training for my TKD for already around 9 months, due to the amount of school work i have to face. An now i'm trying to buck up.
Posted by: migo

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/24/07 05:27 PM

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Punch is the proper link.

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/24/07 11:27 PM

If you are interested in training for 'taking hits' or Iron Shirt (in mandarin -- "Tie Bu Yi") you won't get it around here.

There are groups in Singapore that has it as part of their training; forget about the CCs, which is probably where you did your TKD.

However the training is long and time consuming and you will probably be going to Junior College or Poly soon, so the amount of dedicated time and effort you can put in is limited.
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/25/07 04:05 AM

Quote:

Anyone knows the right way to take punches (or maybe kicks) from the opponent, especially when blocking of the attacks fails? Recently i read from a website and it stated there how to take punches, the following is the link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Punch
Is this the correct way?

the tips on the link will help but it's a little bit more to it then that.

-The first thing to do is get used to being hit, it takes the surprise out of the sensation. it removes the "Oh Sh!T" factor. I'm not saying here that you should get someone to KO you but put on some cloves and feel what it's like to be punched in various locations at about half power and work up to a harder punch. ( start lower if you want).

-ok this breathing thing, yes you want to breath out on impact but I disagree with expelling the air as quickly as possible, it may work but I prefer (from experience) releasing the air with resistance. I'll try to explain: think of the air bags used by high fall stunt people. this bags are designed to release air trough vents which offer a degree of resistance. As the stunt dude hits the bag the air is pushed out under resistance to decelerate the stunty and arrest his/her momentum.

If the bag was sealed then the impact would result in the force being sent back into the stunty's body resulting in him bouncing of the bag. The bag itself has no give in it so the increased pressure caused by compression of air from the impact puts stress on the walls og the bag.

If the air was allowed to flow out of the bag with little resistance then it supplies no or little protection seeing the air simply gets pushed out too quickly to offer any arresting ability. Splat.

I'm sure that could have been explained with fewer words then that

-Move the impact area in the direction of the strike, essentially this is "rolling with the Punches. Simple would you rather be in a car being hit by another car that is
a) traveling in the same direction as your car
b) traveling at you whilst your car is stationary
c) have a head on collision.

-Make contact early in the strike. the maximum force of a strike is found at the end of the strike so meet the strike before it can develop that force. (aka Jamming) you can also make contact further down the limb, closer to the body (e.g. the biceps).

Hope that helps, just my thoughts, do with them as you wish
Posted by: Dedicated1

Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? - 02/25/07 09:03 AM

I had a friend who studied "Combat Chi". It was all about taking hits from an attacker. She would let you groin kick her, punch or kick her in the stomach, and even punch her in the throat. All of those with 100% power and speed. I don't know very much about it, but it was cool to see and do.
I agree with the others with sparring, you get used to hitting and being hit. That would be the best way to learn.