MA in self defense

Posted by: mahoney

MA in self defense - 02/11/07 03:54 PM

What do you think, witch MA is the best for self defence?

I heard that judo is good for defense yourself, but you don't learn a lot how to punch and kick..

Wow do you feel your MA with self defence??
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: MA in self defense - 02/11/07 04:03 PM

Sprint training.

Seriously though, what kind of self defense are we talking about here?

I don't usually feel my MA with self defense I'm afraid... (I think)
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: MA in self defense - 02/11/07 08:54 PM

Hello mahoney:

<<What do you think

The one you are studying at the moment! Unless or until I can learn everything simultainously (sic. retroactively at a level of complete perfection)... the one you study shall have to serve...

Judo works well, thousands have studied it for their lifetime. No better, no worse than its Okinawan cousin Karate or any other art.

Jeff
Posted by: vietdao

Re: MA in self defense - 02/14/07 12:26 PM

Quote:

Hello mahoney:

<<What do you think

The one you are studying at the moment! Unless or until I can learn everything simultainously (sic. retroactively at a level of complete perfection)... the one you study shall have to serve...

Judo works well, thousands have studied it for their lifetime. No better, no worse than its Okinawan cousin Karate or any other art.

Jeff

Jeff is absolutely right. I hear this from tons of different people, and, again, its not the style.... it's the school. If you are part of a good school with good training tactics and techniques, you will excel. Once you find a style you like and a school that teaches correctly, stick with it, and as you evolve you may find weaknesses in your style that can be fixed by simply studying additional styles. Thats a part of becoming a well rounded martial artist. This takes years, however. The key is to become proficient in what you already study. Start at a good school and train hard first. Once you are very good at that, often your instructor will refer you to other very good schools that can take your training to the next level.

Re: MA in self defense - 02/14/07 05:08 PM

Heres a link to an article/post by Richard Dimitri from his forum, I think it's accurate and well worth the read.

Is this art good for self defence?

Personally i think the instructor is the key
Posted by: mahoney

Re: MA in self defense - 03/02/07 04:46 AM

thanks man