Lots of attackers

Posted by: pacifist

Lots of attackers - 10/26/06 05:28 AM

If you were being attacked by multiple people of varying sizes how would you defend yourself. You can't run away because they have got you trapped. Your only option is to fight. There is no wapon available and by the time help comes you'd be unconscious. I ask because my friend was attacked a while ago. Thankfully they weren't trying to hurt him too much.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/26/06 08:55 AM

This is all theory, since I've (thankfully) never been in this situation, however:

If surrounded by multiple attackers without the possibility of escape, you have to assume your life is in danger. (I'm assuming we're talking about several aggressors clearly communicating their intent to cause you serious bodily harm)

Grab the one closest to you, and do something so intensely violent and destructive, that it not only gives the others serious qualms about being next, but ensures that they never sleep properly again.

Just remember that they're not going to attack one at a time, like in a ninja movie. Don't wait for them to dogpile you before attempting to defend yourself.

When the cops slap the cuffs on you, make this your mantra:
"My life was in danger. They were going to kill me."

Protecting your life isn't only your right, it's your responsibility.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/26/06 11:55 AM

Attack first hard and fast. Your simple punch to the nose isnt going to work here. I would try to break the first guys leg. As soon as I hit, whether or not he is broken Im hitting someone else. Knnes, elbows and headbutts. No more punching or kicking because the gap is being closed. Once its too close, tactics such as small joint manipultaion, choking and groin grabbing. If the opportunitie arrives then a good eye gouge or throat grab to crush his windpipe. You must understand that your life is in danger and since it is you must put there life in danger as well.
Posted by: jamesjj

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/26/06 12:48 PM

I agree with everything said, however there is stuff i would like to add:

-Do everything possible to kepp the fight on your feet. If you go on the ground you can only deal with one attacker while the others are free to attack you.

-Jam your opponents, meaning keep moving and sidestepping so the one opponent is facing you and the rest of the opponents are behind. That way only one attacker can get to you while the others are rendered somewhat ineffective.

-Use your opponents as shields (refer to above) if you can get a hold/choke where you can put your opponent in front of you and still stay on your feet it will at least buy time till help can arrive

-Before you do anything else...RUN.
Posted by: motobusmonkey

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/26/06 12:52 PM

I would attack the person who was most blocking my escape path... violently. Then, if you do manage to get past one, try to keep changing your position to put the attackers in a line(so you could hopefully fight 1 or 2 at a time, instead of 5). If you can keep them stumbling into each other, you might be able to get away.

-Jeff
Posted by: Joss

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/26/06 03:08 PM

Figure out who the leader is and put him down him quickly and brutally.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/27/06 06:57 AM

I think there's too many variables to say in detail. What's the environment like? How experienced are the people involved? How overwhelming are the numbers? How far are you from a safe area in public? etc.

Basically get the heck out of there as quickly as possible. Crack a few heads if necessary but fighting should be secondary to getting away because the longer you fight for, the more likely someone's going to tackle you or get you in a full nelson or similar hold from behind. If this happens, you're done for. Back against a wall is a good idea if you can't escape easily but tackles and pins against a wall will still work on you.

If you're in a situation like this, you've made A LOT of mistakes before-hand. Your awareness of your surroundings and your attitude are probably all messed up. People mostly get into this situation if they are gangsters themselves or if they're involved with a gang or get into an argument with a gang member. If so, you might want to rethink your lifestyle and hang around with a better bunch of people and move house to a safer area (Your safety is worth the commute).
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/27/06 08:06 AM

I dislike "what ifs"....

What if multiple attackers are surrounding you and you can't call for Superman...

Hopefully you have created a will and have life insurance.

I supposed you'd have to go down fighting. Just be prepared for pain and a nice stay in a hospital.

I would make an attempt to straight blast while charging forward toward the smallest individual. Perhaps the momentum and the blast will create an avenue of escape whereby I can CONTINUE running like hell away from a damned certain ass-beating. This strategy HAS worked before.

Also (if I have room to maneuver), I may clinch with one and manipulate his body to keep him between myself and any partners until I can create an open angle toward an exit.

Having the right mindset may help. They have to KNOW that if they choose to attack, that you're taking (at least) ONE of them with you. And you MUST get this point across both verbally and by your body language!

-John
Posted by: paradoxbox

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/29/06 06:26 AM

Use a weapon. Gun is preferable, but knife is also ok. Target vital areas. Neck slashes, stabs to the kidney/liver area, stabs to the thigh, etc. Any outstretched hands or limbs coming toward you get cut and then the person doing the grabbing further attacked until they are wounded enough until it's safe to move to the next person. Throw objects at their heads to distract them as you attack. Yell at the top of your lungs also.

Don't let anyone grab you. That's the most important part. If they have weapons such as clubs or bats or skateboards, take those people out from a distance if you can (with rocks or other objects you are holding).

It's either you or them, play time is over. Kill or be killed, don't look back because if you lose you won't be doing any more thinking.

Running is one way of dealing with it. A lot of people who run also get the worst of it in their back. Or they trip and fall face first and then get pummelled. Fight back and then make yourself scarce once your odds are a little more even.

Never ever be without some kind of weapon. I don't know about you guys but in the last 2 years the crime in my city has skyrocketed to the point where I will never go without a very big knife on my person at all times. Just tonight some thugs were screaming and yelling outside my house and I guess broke into the store across the street from me (That's what I assumed when I heard glass breaking anyway). Used to be a fairly peaceful area.

Carry a knife like a CCW holder carries a pistol. It's secret, it's always with you and it's used only as a last resort and to hell with anyone who don't like it.

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/29/06 11:59 AM

Thats not a good idea. A gun is one thing, but a knife? No way. Once you introduce a weapon into the equation the danger goes up considerably, especially against multiple opponents. While you are working on one, its likely that you could get disarmed by the others. Now not only do you have multiple enemies, but they are armed too. And ready to kill you.

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/29/06 07:01 PM

So you would recommend not fighting back, running and possibly getting hit in the back or falling down. I've been chased by people before. They threw stuff at me - it missed - I got lucky. If those rocks had hit me I'd be down and out.

Would I run like that again? Probably not. Kill as many as you can and see if they still feel like fighting. You wouldn't be doing it in the first place if your life weren't already in danger.

Remember, the original scenario states you are cornered with nowhere to go and they definitely want to hurt you. Why the aversion of fighting here I don't know - In a situation like that you're totally screwed anyway, so let the bodies hit the floor and see who's got the strongest stomach.

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/29/06 07:07 PM

Read about what happens to people who run. It sounds real good in text but in practice it's not all that good. You have to have something to run to if you're going to run. That's usually not such a common luxury.

http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/murder_Aaron%20Webster.htm

http://www.stophate.us/memorials/Webster.html

http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=100402

Hello, you're not going to win by running away, you're going to get crapkicked. If you're in a real bad situation, you have to kill them before they kill you. Simple as that. No more flowerdancing. Shoot, stab, poke, whatever it takes. Maybe if you reduce their numbers they'll reconsider pursuing you and then you can make yourself scarce.

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/29/06 07:47 PM

I appreciate your enthusiasm. I do. But if you go up a page or two, you'll find a post, of mine, that gives strategy on how to fight. What I said in the post above, is that it wouldnt be a good idea to introduce a knife to the situation. Thats not to say that you couldnt make the knife work for you, however, if you dont, instead of getting punched and kicked, your getting punched, kicked, and stabbed.

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/29/06 08:32 PM

Quote:

Read about what happens to people who run. It sounds real good in text but in practice it's not all that good. You have to have something to run to if you're going to run. That's usually not such a common luxury.

http://www.primetimecrime.com/Recent/murder_Aaron%20Webster.htm

http://www.stophate.us/memorials/Webster.html

http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=100402

Hello, you're not going to win by running away, you're going to get crapkicked. If you're in a real bad situation, you have to kill them before they kill you. Simple as that. No more flowerdancing. Shoot, stab, poke, whatever it takes. Maybe if you reduce their numbers they'll reconsider pursuing you and then you can make yourself scarce.

Aren't we getting a bit VTG. Admittedly, you've got to do what you've got to do but if you don't have the aim of getting out of the situation you're in, you've got unrealistic expectations. The best place to be in a fight is not where the fight is happening. Admittedly you can't just run away in most cases, but if you see an opportunity, you should take it.

Let me introduce you to a little concept I like to call "home ground advantage". It happens in football games and it also happens on the "street". If you're attacked and outnumbered, you can be sure that your attackers know the area better than you do and know that they won't get caught assaulting you there. If you want to have any hope of surviving, you need to reduce their advantages over you. Eliminating the home advantage is one way of doing this. Furthermore, if you can manage to run, you spread out the pack and cause confusion with obstacles, this can mean facing fewer opponents at a time. If you stay put, who's to say that more friends of your attackers aren't on the way to help out or that there's some sort of trap set up for you nearby.

If you stay put, you put your life in the hands of your attackers. If you run, you might just be able to take away their confidence and their planned advantages.

There's two sides to every issue, it's not so black and white. There are advantages and disadvantages to running and staying put. Note that the law will be much happier with you NOT going to jail if you do at least attempt to run instead of murdering all of your opponents. This is called reasonable force and if you don't abide by it, you'll end up in the slammer. Now let's not have any of that "judged by 12 than carried by six nonsense", a term spent in jail when it can be avoided is not a smart idea.

P.S. Citing 3 examples isn't going to convince anyone. For all we know that's 3 in the world in the whole year (exaggerating I know). If you can get results for maybe 10000 cases in a government study, you would probably convince me. I know more than a few people who got away with their lives by swallowing their pride and high-tailing it when they could. When you're outnumbered you don't have time for silly stuff like machismo.

Also, what kind of attackers would come at you in a group without weapons? I'm curious to think why they'd want to do something like that and not resort to using weapons. If they want to intimidate you, they're probably the kind of people who walk around with weapons anyway and why wouldn't they pull the weapons to intimidate you? If they want you dead, they'll have their weapons pulled before you do. In fact, they'd probably not start a fight at all, just knife you as you were walking by them in the street, you'd never see the knife at all. This is a whole load of VTG BS and speculation. We're verging on 27 ninjas with uzis territory here, whereas I like to keep myself in reality.
Posted by: pacifist

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/30/06 12:25 PM

Thanks for opinions so far.

Where i'm from you can't carry weapons without being arrested. When i said my friend was atacked, it was by a gang of idiots who think its fun to attack people for no reason. They think it makes them tough. They weren't carrying weapons.

If i were attacked id try to throw them into each other and kick there knees - try to put them off balance. I wouldn't run until i had a good chance. I'd try to keep moving forward and keep attacking so that they couldn't pile on me. I'd also try (and probably fail) to do a few trick like pretending to be scared and frozen and then catch them off guard or throw loose change or a drink at them.

I think running is the better option if yo know you don't have a chance. If you're lucky the attackers might not chase. If you think you can take some of them down before you run its even better.

Re: Lots of attackers - 10/30/06 12:29 PM

Pretty good attitude you've got there. Remember that number 1 priority is to avoid getting into such a situation in the first place. A little awareness and avoidance can go a long way.