ShockKnife

Posted by: JasonM

ShockKnife - 07/31/06 10:39 AM

Hi,

Has anyone heard or tried this device?

http://www.shocknife.com/index.html

It seems cool, but that doesn't neccesarily make it a good training tool for knife defense.

Thanks,
Posted by: JoelM

Re: ShockKnife - 07/31/06 10:58 AM

I'm wondering if it gives the same type of reaction as being cut by a blade. Plus it's 500 FRICKEN DOLLARS!!!

Anyways, their video gave me my new quote of the week.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: ShockKnife - 07/31/06 12:20 PM

Yeah, I thought the price was a little crazy. For that price it better cut ya. lol
Posted by: szorn

Re: ShockKnife - 08/02/06 01:16 AM

Tried it and personally spoke with the creator. It does provide the sensation of actually being cut. However, there are many drawbacks.

1) temporarily shorts out when contacting sweat
2) cannot be used for thrusting techniques for fear of breaking
3) must be restricted to limbs only (arms & legs) as per the users manual. Cannot be used on torso, neck, head, back, etc. This obviously doesn't reflect real knife assaults.
4) costly

Steve Zorn, ICPS
Posted by: JKogas

Re: ShockKnife - 08/02/06 07:07 AM

Shockknife?! Sounds good in theory. It would definitely up the adrenaline response in training! Doesn't sound like it works though, especially considering the cost? That's insane.

No Lie blades work well, but they aren't cheap either. The least expensive option among those is $75. You could go get a Red "Sharpie" permanent marker for a little over a buck and achieve near about the same results.

-John
Posted by: Big_Rob

Re: ShockKnife - 08/05/06 07:54 PM

We use metal training knives, you can epoxy a thin strip of sand paper on them and/or coat them with chalk or Lipstick.

This works very well, they hurt a lot when hit and most likely will cut you, it's more like a scrap but you respect it.
Here is the blade we use
Ebay Black Metal Training Blade

The knife cost $5.00 plus shipping out of California.

http://www.fullspeedcomputer.com/Files/trainer.jpg -Well it won't let me post the pic so you can just click the link.

I have also spoken with the creator of the shock knife and one problem I have with it, in addition to what was listed is that you can touch a blade and disarm it with out getting cut. So the feed back may create some un-nessesary fear when dealing with the blade.