The Shredder

Posted by: MartialMack

The Shredder - 06/25/06 04:07 AM

What do you guys think?

(Not referring to the Ninja Turtles villain!)
Posted by: Supremor

Re: The Shredder - 06/25/06 05:07 AM

Is there something I'm missing which everybody else knows about?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: The Shredder - 06/25/06 08:40 AM

I'm with you Supermor
Posted by: mean_fighter

Re: The Shredder - 06/25/06 10:32 AM

IS THIS A MA TACHNIQUE??
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The Shredder - 06/25/06 11:25 AM

Don't really know enough about it to comment, but here is a link -

http://www.senshido.com/swwd2_2.html
Posted by: TimBlack

Re: The Shredder - 06/25/06 05:11 PM

Now, I'm not saying it's total BS, but it doesn't help when they put this:

Quote:

A. The Shredder has yet to fail in real fights.

I'm sure it is a useful addition to an arsenal (although, most MAs and particularly combatives teach a certain amount of eye gouging, fish hooking etc.). But it will, and has failed. That's why cavemen and animals aren't unstoppable killing machines.

And as for him saying that you didn't need to train for it, but then telling people to buy the pack, go to seminars, get classes etc.... *cough* gimmick
Posted by: JKogas

Re: The Shredder - 06/25/06 05:59 PM

I'm hesitant to say anything about it because I've never trained it and, I've corresponded with Rich Dimitri on a several occassions. He always came across as a cool enough guy.

I HAVE been naturally skeptical about this. I work in that close/clinch range all the time and I know that the close range is always about position FIRST before any sort of "attack" whatever it may be (takedown, strike or, "SHREDDER").

My thoughts are basically this:

If the clinch is about position first and attack second, then it doesn't MATTER what you attack with because it's ALL going to be pretty freakin' effective.

Shredder or knee to the face?

Shredder or elbow to the face?

Shredder or headbutt to the face?

Shredder or high level single-leg and dump?

Shredder or high crotch lift and dump (on the bean)?

Everything starts from positional dominance (or should) so if you HAVE that dominance, what does it matter whether you "shred" or not?

Just my opinion.

-John
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 10:19 AM

I sometimes wonder whether people realise that a lot of grapplers and clinch fighters train to prevent other people from using biting/eye gouging/hair pulling on them.

Any groundfighter worth his/her salt would never let someone's mouth get infront of their body.

That said, this training could be useful and is probably more effective than having no training at all.
Posted by: Cord

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 11:33 AM

I would be wary of using any technique that had me putting my fingers in an aggressors mouth on purpose. There is no way of locking down head movement enough to prevent them getting a bite on you. you dont want that on so many levels its just not true. If you were in the happy position of dominace from a rear triangle as shown in the pic, then keeping a crank on and them off balance would be just as good, and let you walk away with all your digits. If you could get it cleanly from the front, then like JKogas said, you could get any number of strikes in the same space, none of which could end with your fingers being broken or severed.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 12:35 PM

From what I've read about the shredder its more of a concept rather than a specific technique. It seems all about the mindset and simply maulling your opponent. Very similiar to what you'll see in San Soo, Black Tiger Kung Fu and some dodgy english Kempo. Just an old concept given a funky new name... and it is a cool name!
Posted by: Ryan_Doherty

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 05:51 PM

"your infectious passion & enthusiasm for the Shredder made the hours just seem to disappear!"

Sorry, that just makes me laugh out loud.

Oh, here's a good one...

"Q. Is the Shredder good for women?"

muahaha. Oh - it just goes on and on...

"The Shredder works even when people don't know they're Shredding"

and...

"I am sure the majority have Shredded to some degree or
another"

"She was Shredding and didn't even know it."

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 06:02 PM

Quote:

I sometimes wonder whether people realise that a lot of grapplers and clinch fighters train to prevent other people from using biting/eye gouging/hair pulling on them.

Any groundfighter worth his/her salt would never let someone's mouth get infront of their body.

Absolutely. Head position ALONE will prevent a lot of that stuff from happening to begin with.

Quote:

That said, this training could be useful and is probably more effective than having no training at all.

That's a fair point. I'm sure it's worth having a look at. In fact, I've been planning on looking further into it. I haven't gotten around to it simply because I've not thought it absolutely necessary since we work so much clinch work. I mean, you don't NEED the shredder if you dominate position in the clinch. I think I'd much rather spend time on fundamentals. That being said, I would utilize every available tool in a fight and the shredder is one such tool.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 06:06 PM

Ah, ok, my bad, it just seemed to be being 'sold' as a technique as oposed to principle.
Gav, if its basically meeting force with essentialy greater ferocity so as to counter act the advantage percieved by the aggressor, then I am all for it.
My dad taught it to me as '2 for 1', and I am all for that as a concept whatever the name
Posted by: Ryan_Doherty

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 06:13 PM

Wait , you guys aren't seriously endorsing "The Shredder", are you? lol

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 06:25 PM

If its that stick your hands in their face/mouth movment as a specific, then no. If its the concept of meeting an attack with true controlled aggression and an overwhelming volume of reaction that puts the attacker on the back foot, removing their psychological dominance in the situation, then yes I am.

Re: The Shredder - 06/26/06 06:30 PM

From what I understand Cord, that is precisely what it's about.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 06/27/06 05:16 AM

I love the 2 for 1... reminds me of a Billy Connelly sketch where a seasoned Glasgow street fighter was telling Billy about the old "two three". Billy asked what happend to one? The guy responded "Oh, thats the one you get!"

The overwhelming agression is what I think its about definately. Raking the eyes, tearing the skin, fish hooking, etc, etc. It's a great way of bridging an onslaught whilst getting into a position and applying your real tools, be they stand up, submission, floor work or whatever. Russell Stutely has a great little analogy that he uses when he starts his Body Alarm Reaction (adrenaline conditioning) stuff.... When someone goes to attack you they've already weighed up all the pro's and con's of the situation, they've decided that they can beat you, not worried about police or your friends and are basically seeing the light and the end of the tunnel, which is you sparked out on the floor. What they don't realise is that what they think is the light at the end of the tunnel is actually the headlights of the juggernaught your driving straight into them. The last thing someone who is trying to hit you is going to expect is some animal to start trying to tear their face off!

Gav

PS. For a great little addition to the face tear... try grabbing hold of a nice fleshy part of the cheek (also works on other fleshy parts) and keep moving your hand in a tight figure eight motion and pull in the direction you want them to go. The tighter and sharper you make the figure eight the more they feel their face is on fire! Great for pain compliance!
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: The Shredder - 06/27/06 03:14 PM

I have spoken via internet forum to Dimitri and have always found him to be polite and courteous. The Shredder thing has turned into a it of an icon for him. Now he is running with it and has become the "Shredder Guy".

The same thing occurred with Tony Blauer (whom Dimitri trained with and arguably drew a lot of inspiration from) with the SPEAR. People want icons. They sell.

Man's gotta eat.

As far as what I personally think of the Shredder? Never trained it. Can't really be trained without an abundance of role play. Not my thing.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: The Shredder - 06/28/06 03:14 PM

I train with Big Rob from time to time and his group uses the shredder and they have had some interactions with Dimitri (went to his recent seminar). I'll bring his attention to this thread.

Raul
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: The Shredder - 06/29/06 11:03 PM

G'day All, I'm Drew and I'm a RBSD instructor in QLD Australia.

I train the shredder and incorporate it into my Self-protection classes. I'll Admit i am a fan of Senshido and of Rich himself, but i do not blindly follow anyone. I have looked into Senshido and it's concepts (inc The Shredder) and from my 20 odd years of doing the same to many other systems, i can honestly say that it is up there with the most effective reality based Self Defence systems available today.

i am not affiliated or have any official link with Senshido. Rich has simply given me permission to use his materials in my classes. My students come first and i will seek out the best quality information and methods for them.

The Shredder is not a technique it is a concept, All of the techniques that have been mentioned before are simply tools that can be used when applying the concept. it is not just eye rakes, and flesh tearing this are just simply gross-motor movements that lend them selves to the shredder concept. You can incorporate virtually any technique including elbows, head butts, knees, kicks, palms anything, that you can apply under the limitations of a real life, live pressure situation. (ie gross motor).

Now we are all seeking knowledge, but heres a thought, instead of speculating as to what the Shredder is, how about going to the Senshido Forum and ask the man who spent the last decade or so developing it, Richard Dimitri. I'll even provide a link for you.

http://senshido.savi.ca/index.php

By the Way Rich has removed fish hooking from the Shredder toolbox a few years ago, for exactly the reasons that have been stated here.

There is a lot more to the shredder the what is represented by the Logo, I haven't even touched on things such as the Predator to Prey conversion, by-passing or overwhelming the flinch response, 1/4 beat application, anchoring, ghosting and so on and so on.

I consider my self a man of honour, I honestly believe that the Shredder is something that everyone should at least look in to, it will only ever compliment your current skill and system, rich will tell you himself that it is not the be all and end all, but it definitely is a positive contribution to the Self protection of anyone even your 80 year old granny.

But don't take my word for it check it out yourself with an open mind and then decide.

sorry for the long post
Posted by: Big_Rob

Re: The Shredder - 06/29/06 11:48 PM

Hi all.. Long time no talk. I will make this very short and to the point and then I invite any questions.

I have experience with the shredder, I own the shredder package and have trained with Richard Dimitri several times. I also run a training group that utilizes Senshido’s concepts.

I first want to say that ever post thus far has been assumption and not experience with the exception of Drew. You can not even begin to have an understanding of senshido or the shredder from simply reading the website.
There is a reason the Shredder is so popular and has gained so much attention. It works and is based on “Experience” and detailed analysis of how Humans Think and Move.
The shredder is ONLY a tool, it is used in Extreme Close Quarters, it is not the end all be all, if you are not in eCQC range then you must utilize other tools that suit the range you are currently in.
Senshido is not the shredder, Senshido is much more extensive then simply the shredder.

The shredder is not a technique and it is not a combination of techniques. It is a conceptual tool only that is based on Human Behavoir and instinct.

The shredder can and has neutralized experienced ground fighter, such as Machado and Gracie Black Belt instructors.

The shredder is not a Sport tool it is based on understanding the behavior of an attacker in a street confrontation.

As for the marketing, there is nothing wrong with making money if you are not marketing in your business you are not making sales.

As for Rich, honestly you will not find a better instructor, he gives everything of himself to his students and truly cares for those he gets involved with.

Please note that I’m not a Senshido representative and I’m very independent, I have trained for 20 years in too many systems to mention. I have seen almost everything that is out there and continually review and train in new systems and material, thus far Senshido in my opinion is at the top of my list.
As you know from my previous posts, I only use what works and I test it on anyone who will show up to train with me. I have no restrictions and it’s always an open invitation.

Any questions I will be happy to answer based on my personal experience with the tool.

Re: The Shredder - 06/30/06 10:38 AM

Thanks for the first-hand info, Rob and Drew.
Posted by: mleone

Re: The Shredder - 06/30/06 02:16 PM

You dont know the shredder, until you felt it.
Highly effective, any one who says different is a fool who has no clue what they are talking about...
Posted by: Kerob

Re: The Shredder - 07/01/06 12:18 PM

Hey guys, long time no post. I want to add that since learning the shredder, all my standard judo/greco style clinch work has taken a real backseat. You can see me use it in a video that Big Rob and I posted here a while ago, and I've used it in one violent altercation and it worked great. I just recommend that people see the instructional material and train in it before they pass judgement, I know its a little annoying to be told "you have to experience it to believe" and I hate being such a fan-boy, but it really is a revolutionary and highly functional close quarters concept. Thanks - Nick
Posted by: le_W

Re: The Shredder - 07/01/06 01:01 PM

Greetings all. I am a member of Big Rob's trainig group, and rob as usual gave as complete a post as usual regarding the shredder concept. Begging Rich's pardon, here is a paste of Rich dimitri re: the shredder concept. I think you will agree that the passion rich puts into the post says that he is more than about the $$$, rich really cares about saving lives. He comes from a self protection standpoint first and foremost and isn't knocking MMA folks:

Quote:

BJJ and grappling in general aren't necessary for self defense, if one is proficient in these things, then great and it will definitely help them but for pure self defense situations, they can actually hinder an individual who isn't well versed, not to mention it takes too much time to learn and perfect in terms of useability. Now keep in mind I am referring to general population here, not the young red blooded male or the jock athelete, those who are victimized, those who are perceived vulnerable i.e. the elderly, women children, the less than gifted male, etc. the probabilities these people have in making BJJ or grappling work in a real world altercation are slim to none.

Once again folks, take a look at every single rape survivor who fought back and successfully defended themselves in the news, papers etc. You'll never hear "she used a rear naked choke, or ground and pound or any kind of lock", you won't even hear that they used a jab cross elbow or headbutt, it's always things like "she gouged his eyes out, she bit his tongue off, she bit his privates, she just went berserk etc. etc. there's a reason for that.

When in extreme close quarter, clinch or grappling range, your best bet is the Shredder, this has been proven time and time again and frankly, we haven't seen anything that even comes close to making someone proficient in such short a time.

I just returned from a seminar I taught in Florida a few weekends go, the seminar took place at a Royce Gracie BJJ satelite school, one of the instructors there who is a black belt (I can only assume or maybe he was brown, Ryan can clarify as he was there and it was a friend of his) and is 6'2" and over 200lbs looked skeptical as I was teaching. I invited him up to attack me fulll force, as hard and as fast as he can any way he wants. Now this was in front of a few of his students as well so you know he came in hard and fast. Within seconds he was tapping out from a simulated Shred. Still not convinced he tried again, same result. He was a really cool guy though and as he got up he basically turned to his students and told them that this was the real deal and that he couldn't do anything against the Shred, he also declined on being called out to demo on again.

Case in point, every single person who attended my seminar in CT this past weekend can honestly say that they are able to use everything they learned at that seminar immediately... in contrast to that, one would have to study BJJ for a certain number of years before they could evermake it work in a real time/real speed all out violent confrontation.

And [censored] please don't anyone come on here and start bringing up people like Couture, Ortiz or any other world class athlete because I don't give a [censored] how long someone like my 60 old mother who is all of 5 feet tall and has minor arthritis will ever be able to use grappling or BJJ against a violent criminal but I can promise you that she could Shred her way out of it with no problem and relative ease.

So if you want to train in BJJ and grappling to enhance your game then by all means it can only help especially if one has the time, energy and know how on to properly integrate it into ones training but most as it seems don't know how to do that on a proficient level, especially not for general population looking to enahnce their survivability.

Practice, practice practice isn't an option for many people, it isn't an option for people like my mother, like Adrienne here, if it requires so much practice then it isn't the most efficient form of self defense now is it? As I stated, in contrast to that, there have been several women who had no previous training or post training after taking only 1 five hour seminar with me and some months while others years later were attacked, some by weapon weilding attackers no less and they successfully defended themselves using what they learned in my seminars... that's 5 hours of training only... you guys do the math Wink

Very simply stated, here is a link to an article on this forum titled "Guys, is this art good for self defense?" Read it, if the art in question does not address these issues proficiently and thuroughly then it simply is NOT self defense, period. Not to say that certain individuals couldn't make certain arts work for them but on a general level, most people simply could not. One has to know his clients needs, who the student is, what they are capable of what they are not and will never be capable of etc.

http://senshido.savi.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1119

....Please feel free to post any questions you have on the senshido forum .AWESOME collection of smileys you guys have BTW !and happy 4th vacation!
Posted by: le_W

Re: The Shredder - 07/01/06 02:39 PM

hello dude ,
Quote:

I haven't gotten around to it simply because I've not thought it absolutely necessary since we work so much clinch work. I mean, you don't NEED the shredder if you dominate position in the clinch. I think I'd much rather spend time on fundamentals.

It is dangerous to post alive drills in text since you don't have the visiual , but I assume you have enough grapppling experience to do a drill that will show you what the shredder lovel 1( to be used on your drunk friend making an ass of himslef at a party, then shove him into a locked closet

It's called acquire the mark drill and the mark is your partner's face.Pick the dude who shreds and the dude who is teh shreddee. The shredder's goal is to plant his hand onto his partner's face and vigoursly rub it or do a facial crush and hold it for 3 seconds. A vitla part of shredding is to have an anchor/trap so the shreddee can't break awy and backpedal, so trap his free limb, neck, ear eetc. as you shred. Shreddee's goal, to do everything in his power not to let the shredder's hand plant and energectic ly rub/ crush his face for a full 3 seconds.

Try it any skeptical dudes and post your findings as I have zero grappling esperience, but just using the a low level shredder against grapplling aquiantences, it short circuits their brains,so intimatre and invasave such a tool it is

good god I love your smillies

BTW, does anyone live in the NYC area and want to train defence against real world attacks????? That includes you too ronnie . I don't wqant to be an old man to train RBSD again . Big Rob is very busy and needs his space for somoe big changes eh Rob

le W

Re: The Shredder - 07/18/06 07:50 AM

A review of the London Shredder seminar by the highly respected UK RBSD guy Lee Morrison:

http://www.urbancombatives.com/shredder.htm

Re: The Shredder - 07/18/06 09:09 AM

Great article, Gav. I have a much better sense of the Shredder from reading that. I like how they seem to use resistant-type drills to train it.

Re: The Shredder - 07/19/06 03:23 AM

Wow... cool to see this thread get some discussion.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been investigating the Shredder for awhile myself, and I'm gonna try and attend a seminar soon.

Re: The Shredder - 07/19/06 03:25 PM

I hate to sound like such a fan boy but the fact of the matter is that I've dismantled more opponents in training and one in reality "shredding" than I have doing anything else...and regardless of your clinching skills, the technical clinch aspect is negated by the fact that as soon as your hands are on your opponent, they are inflicting damage and pain to keep the assailant from applying anything technical because he'll be too busy disengaging as fast as he can.

Re: The Shredder - 07/19/06 08:33 PM

Quote:

and regardless of your clinching skills, the technical clinch aspect is negated by the fact that as soon as your hands are on your opponent, they are inflicting damage and pain to keep the assailant from applying anything technical because he'll be too busy disengaging as fast as he can.

Pardon my curiosity BUT, how are you able to “shred” when your arms are tied up, your opponent has dominant head position, and, has also established pressure along with control of the primary attack zone?

Thanks

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/20/06 02:28 AM

Quote:

I hate to sound like such a fan boy but the fact of the matter is that I've dismantled more opponents in training and one in reality "shredding" than I have doing anything else...and regardless of your clinching skills, the technical clinch aspect is negated by the fact that as soon as your hands are on your opponent, they are inflicting damage and pain to keep the assailant from applying anything technical because he'll be too busy disengaging as fast as he can.

Maybe it is the missing link in MA.

I like the Lee Morrison article, because it puts it in its proper perspective. It doesn't negate all of MA, it just becomes a part of the arsenal that allows for the REST of the arsenal to be more effective-- especially in a "fight" situation (which can and does happen in the world of men). It can be a "set up" for a finish, or THE finish after say kicking and punching range to gain entry/clinch and then shred. And obviously it seems just as effective on the ground.

I've been looking at the idea of combining its application and integration with Keysi techniques. Unfortunately, both Keysi and Senshido aren't in Nashville yet!

Re: The Shredder - 07/20/06 02:36 AM

Quote:

Pardon my curiosity BUT, how are you able to “shred” when your arms are tied up, your opponent has dominant head position, and, has also established pressure along with control of the primary attack zone?

Thanks

-John

I was just thinking about this earlier today.

Obviously I can't speak from experience as I haven't trained, but I assume this is why it's considered a "conceptual tool" of sorts rather than the be-all end-all of MA. If you get bearhugged and are tied up, you obviously would NEED to know how to escape from that to be able to shred.

Re: The Shredder - 07/20/06 05:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks

-John

Curious about that myself. I think the tactic seems a very sound against untrained fighters and those unfamiliar with a total allout agression. I imagine two guys trying to shred will get pretty messy and turn into a total free for all. I think training the clinch, operating a very tight offenvise guard and being able to work well on the inside might negate the shred. My thinking is that this would minimize the amount of open targets to shred?

Re: The Shredder - 07/20/06 07:26 AM

Gavin and MartialMack --

You're thinking along my lines.

My point about the arms being tied up wasn't necessarily as a result of a bear-hug. I was thinking more along the lines of classic wrestling tie-ups (inside bicep tie, underhook and bicep tie, over-under and body lock ties, double underhook tie.

Those are classic tie-up positions that I have worked with for quite some time. I've been on both the giving and receiving ends of them. Those tie-ups are a lot more sophisticated than what many people think of as "the clinch". If a good wrestler is able to tie a person's arms up like that, you can forget the shredder and everything else, with the exception of working to escape.

What I'm saying is, if you try to do anything other than a technical escape, you'll merely end up in even worse shape (knee strikes and takedowns are simple from those tie-ups). Think of a these positions like a trap in which going IN is easier than going out. The shanks are all aimed in one direction and going opposite of them will rip you to shreds. Shark's teeth are all pointed inside his mouth. A good clinch is sort of like that. Many people screw themselves up by working harder to get out and leave themselves vulnerable in the process.

A point I'm trying to make about the "Shredder" is, if you're close enough to start "shredding", you're close enough to either establish those control tie-ups or, have them established on YOU. For MY money, I'd rather have positional control in that range than for my opponent to have it.

To say it another way, I'd rather get a CTU (control tie up) than shred and possibly leave those lines of defense open because I had my arms out of position. In those cases, I'm open for takedowns. Everyone and their BROTHER on this forum states that you "never want to go to the ground in a street fight". Well, leaving your arms out of position will get you there fast against a good wrestler. It only takes a second. Shredding out of position will get you there. Kicking is another fast track to the ground. Hell, overly committed punching will open those lines of defense as well.

However -- Shredding can be a useful tool for a person with a clinch game who already understands how to obtain and work from those CTU's. But it wouldn't be something that you'd always need considering that those tie-ups (when executed properly, with skill) are so dominant in and of themselves. From those positions, it's pretty easy to run your fingers into the eyes and face, etc. It's also easy to throw strikes and slam your opponent on his head. Which is better? I suppose that would depend on the situation you're in at the time.

What this means is that, you have to have skill FIRST before you start looking into tactics like the shredder (of course that goes for fighting in general). If you have no clinch skill, leave these sorts of tactics at home and start training wrestling. IMO, the Thai clinch, while it can be effective, isn't in the same league as a Greco clinch. Gimmicks are no substitute for skill. However with skill, any tool can be used. Joe Sixpack straight off the barstool won't have the same shredder that a Randy Couture will, in other words.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/20/06 09:00 AM

Must admit my clinch game isn't in the same league as a wrestler but I do work very well from a very tight guard moving into a thai style clinch. We work very hard on having a very offensive style close guard presenting very little targets to strike or shred working through an onslaught. The thing I've noticed about a lot of RBSD guys is that the lack proper grounding and usually have a very high center of gravity which as long as your entering game is upto scratch they can usually be uprooted out of their feet and dropped to the floor or into a wall. I like and fully support the retraining of the flinch response but I think there are better ways of training it in the long run. I prefer to neutalise, break the persons structure and then finish. I think you made a great point about this being a tactic bolted onto a solid skillset. Trouble with a total all out agression over skill and technique approach is that it usually comes down to either who gets in first or if all things are equal, who's stronger and shreds harder. Those two "if's" aren't really acceptable to me. Although I can see how this has become a very popular tool, it's quick to learn and teach and requires very little skill. I think addresses a large part of the mindset required to successfully defend yourself, but isn't foolproof against experienced fighters. I can see flaws in the theory from a strikers point of view and I think John presented a good case from the grapplers... would be very interesting to have a play with a skilled shredder one day! So, like John I see a place for the tool, just don't see it as a subsitute for other skills though.

Re: The Shredder - 07/20/06 11:45 PM

Gavin wrote
Quote:

Must admit my clinch game isn't in the same league as a wrestler but I do work very well from a very tight guard moving into a thai style clinch. We work very hard on having a very offensive style close guard presenting very little targets to strike or shred working through an onslaught.

That sounds good to me Gavin. Always work angles as well and limit how much time you spend squared up with your opponent. I have found that is often the case with the Thai style clinching (where you get both opponents working nearly face-to-face with each other, swimming into the Plumm position and trading knees with each other. Cut those angles (if you’re not doing so already) and watch for where you’re vulnerable to leg attacks (takedowns).

Quote:

The thing I've noticed about a lot of RBSD guys is that the lack proper grounding and usually have a very high center of gravity which as long as your entering game is up to scratch they can usually be uprooted out of their feet and dropped to the floor or into a wall.

What I have often found to be the case with people who are into “combatives”, is that they just aren’t very good. They spend so much time working the “deadly” stuff that they don’t spend any time sparring and wrestling (because that would be too “sportive”). Thus they don’t have the same degree of mastery of good body mechanics.

Quote:

I like and fully support the retraining of the flinch response but I think there are better ways of training it in the long run.

I think that the flinch response is a decent enough method of training. There can be problems with that approach though IMO - IF you don’t have “game” to back that stuff up with. I mean, what if you’ve went into your stuff after that "flinch response" yet you then discover that your opponent has some game and can fight? That simply means that you’ll be screwed if YOU can’t fight yourself. And THAT ability is always a result of a lot of sparring and wrestling, etc. There are no short-cuts and “magic moves”.

Quote:

I prefer to neutralize, break the persons structure and then finish.

I agree with that completely. I’ve often found that if you’re not breaking the person’s structure, that he’ll be breaking YOURS. It’s better to give than to receive, lol

Quote:

Although I can see how this has become a very popular tool, it's quick to learn and teach and requires very little skill.

And therein lies it’s attractiveness and simultaneous downfall. I suppose it’s ok for a quick gain for some unskilled, non-martial artist looking to pick up a few pointers to stay safe. There’s nothing wrong with that either. Of course I’m into this for LIFE and don’t WANT any quick fixes. I don’t WANT to cut corners. I can appreciate a shredder concept and believe that AS a concept, it has something to offer. But again, from a clinch, it’s pretty easy to gouge the eyes. I don’t need an art to teach me how to do that. Nor do I need an art to teach me how to be aggressive. That’s something that is already hard-wired into my human nature.

Quote:

I think addresses a large part of the mindset required to successfully defend yourself, but isn't foolproof against experienced fighters. I can see flaws in the theory from a strikers point of view and I think John presented a good case from the grapplers... would be very interesting to have a play with a skilled shredder one day! So, like John I see a place for the tool, just don't see it as a substitute for other skills though.

I would LOVE to play with a skilled shredder! Hell, if they can show me something, I’ll be the first one to line up. The thing is, we play with these tactics all the time from a defensive perspective. It’s out of that experience that I speak.

Anyway, the morning is coming quicker by the minute. I have to turn in. We’ll have some more fun tomorrow.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/21/06 09:53 AM

Kogas you grappling fiend... I can't believe we're actually agreeing! I humbly apologise to all my stand up brothers... I promise not to make it a habbit!

I think we're pretty much agreed from a non-shredder point of view that its a fantastic tactic for quickly bringing someone up to speed but seems to have holes against experienced properly trained fighters. Could an experienced shredder give some perspective?
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: The Shredder - 07/21/06 10:23 AM

Quote:

Kogas you grappling fiend... I can't believe we're actually agreeing! I humbly apologise to all my stand up brothers... I promise not to make it a habbit!

I think we're pretty much agreed from a non-shredder point of view that its a fantastic tactic for quickly bringing someone up to speed but seems to have holes against experienced properly trained fighters. Could an experienced shredder give some perspective?

Although I have not heard of the Shredder until reading this thread, I have to stand with JKogas and Gavin on this issue.

I am mainly a stand up MAist, but have a few yrs experience with BJJ. Sometimes I incorporate groundwork into my classes at the MSU karate club.

I was teaching some basic takedowns and groundfighting positioning a couple of weeks ago when one of our students asked about the effectiveness of eye gouges and the like as an escape when mounted. I informed him that in my limited experience, they may work if you can get them, but giving your arm to an experienced grappler is asking to have it broken. He asked if he could try it with me, and I agreed.

I took him down and established the mount, avoiding his attempts to grab my face. I outweighed him by about 40 pounds (he is a small chap at about 135lbs or so, with no grappling experience), so settling into a good mount was easy. I kept my center low, and my head tucked into the crook of his neck to avoid any face grabs, all the while smothering/pinning his arms.

At one point, he freed his left arm and blindly groped for my face. I seized the opportunity and submitted him with a chicken wing (is this the right term? - I remember lots of technique from BJJ, but not all their names).

Although I am no star grappler, and have no experience with the shredder, I am a bit skeptical about the utility of this tool against an expert groundfighter. I do not dismiss the effectiveness of a thumb in the eye or any facial/head manipulation as SD technique, but I have to agree with the aforementioned posts about the importance of making sure you know the basics of clinching/grappling/CQC and then adding the shredder to these, rather than relying on the Shredder alone.

Thanks for indulging me!
Mike

Re: The Shredder - 07/24/06 11:49 AM

Sorry to have such a hasty response, but to touch on a few points....

1. You need technical clinch skills, to a certain degree, to "maximize" your shredding skills.

2. No matter what way you tie my arms up, I can still do damage using my other body parts. I've done it numerous times in training, including against accomplished wrestlers. A clinch means his vitals, his body, is right next to mine. If you clinch me and control my arms, so what...I can still scream in your ears, spit, maybe headbutt, bite your f--in ears/nose/cheek off, all depending onthe positioning and available targets.

3. I agree about just eyegouging a grappler, but seriously, most grapplers never take into consideration "dirty" tactics while training and have an unrealistic reality of real fighting and situational, behavioral, and emotional variables. And they always say "if im mounted on you, you cant do xyz" well no sh-t but what if I don't let you mount me? As soon as your make contact with me, my hands will be doing damage...and even if you're in the guard. I'm not gonna extend my arms out to shred, I'm gonna pull my self in close, negating armbars and things like that, and if he starts to move for a choke, sweep, whatever...well, if its a dangerous enough situation, I'll tear his eyes right out of his skull with little effort, grind his face in the pavement, stab him with an improvised weapon, stack him and as I "pass" his guard just stomp on on his head until hes done twitching. Hate to sound so violent but its just something I get asked a lot and 99% of grapplers only train against someone trying to punch and kick them, which is a lot easier to stop then something intent on tearing off facial features....
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: The Shredder - 07/25/06 10:39 PM

There are several ways to look at this. One way, is that sporterized training doesn't prepare you from someone fighting "dirty", and the other way is that a "dirty" fighter won't have the technical skill to make his techniques work through lack of "live training." I think the key here is balance and variety. Work hard on grappling/wrestling, BJJ, boxing, MT, etc. but also work "dirty" tactics in as well. Keep your options open.

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 01:17 AM

The thing is, to learn the shredder and drill it, you always do alive drilling. You cannot learn the shredder (or anything else for that matter) by training dead patterns with no energy. Thats why, after a few hours of drilling and coaching, a person can apply the shredder so effectively with very little training compared to what it takes to be competent in grappling, boxing, or kickboxing.
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 05:17 AM

I see two issues here - first, like a lot of the "combative" tools, this is meant to give one an edge with little investment. sure, if you train 40 hours a month, for 20 years, you will have much better skills than somebody who hardly trains and has expereince with the shredder. but, if you are going to invest 8 hours in learning something, better to put it into the shredder than into 8 hours of learning BJJ or boxing. if you are going to practice 8-16 hours a month in some other style, suplementing it with the shredder will be a very worthwhile investment.

also, again as with all "combatives", there is less of a risk of getting in a "rut" in terms of your skills - I have known peopel with great technical skills in a specific martial art that had a lot of trouble transfering those skills to the street.

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 05:48 AM

Ok, judging by the past several posts, I see some GLARING examples of ignorance as to a true wrestling clinch game for fighting.

Perhaps if I have time later, I can clarify this position better. It seems that people still have no real idea.

Kerob wrote
Quote:

2. No matter what way you tie my arms up, I can still do damage using my other body parts.

How many extra limbs do you have buddy? Having a good clinch means that all five limbs are being controlled (the head is considered a limb). What are you fighting with, your "Johnson"?

Quote:

A clinch means his vitals, his body, is right next to mine.

That works both ways. Considering that the clinch means having dominant position, the other guys vitals are more exposed than MINE would be. See the point?

Quote:

If you clinch me and control my arms, so what...I can still scream in your ears

We'll sing a duet. Remember, a clinch means first having head position in the pocket. Not ear to ear. That wouldn't be good wrestling.

Quote:

spit, maybe headbutt, bite your f--in ears/nose/cheek off,

No, because again, head position eliminates those tactics being possible. Get a HIGH level wrestler (collegiate or Olympic level) and try it. You'll see the difference between that and a good high schooler.

Quote:

all depending onthe positioning and available targets.

That's been my point. Against a good clinch guy, you wont HAVE the positioning. No positioning means no targets. With positioning, you don't NEED the shredder to be effective. Which has been my point all along.

The easier thing to do would be to simply TELL folks to go learn wrestling from a qualified source. They will see for themselves, especially if the source has an understanding of wrestling for fighting.

This isn't "sport" wrestling we're talking about here folks.

Thanks

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 09:18 AM

All valid poinst about being in a tight clinch from a real strong wrestler, but there are a few things one must consider.

1. Most people will never, ever be attacked by an Olympic wrestler, and if they are, they won't be raped/mugged/assasinated by his use of underhooks and hip tosses. He will attack aggressively with anger and rage being his driving weapon, not his technical skill.

2. From a physical perspective, you start to shred at the instant there is aggressive movement or attacking from your assailant. If I wait to shred until he has a tight clinch with good positioning, I completely agree that I am setting my ability to reach targets back a lot. However, hes gotta get that clinch on me. And as he comes in, you must train to acquire the face and throat instantly, and honestly its really easy to do that on a grappler. I only have to get at his face and throat for an instant because thats all it takes to gouge, rip, or tear and start the defensive disengagement in my opponent. It takes time and energy from him to clinch me effectively and while hes trying to set that up, itll be like hugging a cat while you're dunking it in water.....

Honestly, JKogas, or anybody for that matter, I can type about it all I want, but you're not gonna see "get" it unless you see the tapes at the very least, and to really get it and be able to apply it well (and really, have it applied to you so you can understand what your opponent will feel like when being shredded) you have to train with either Rich, one of his instructors, or a serious student of his.

If anyone is ever in the DC metro area, feel free to look me up and we can meet and I'll shred when you try whatever you want. I mean that in the friendliest way, I think its a great tool and I like meeting and exchanging ideas with people.

Hope everybody enjoys their day - Nick
Posted by: JasonM

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 09:32 AM

I am curious. You said in the DC metro area, but your location says NY. I ask because I am in the DC metro area and would be interested to see a shredding.

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 09:50 AM

He was in NY when he joined, he is now in DC area.

As for the wrestlers... When was the last time you heard of a women who was raped while in a tight clinch.
When people are angry and ready to fight they do not resort to their refined sport skills. This is not a Sport based tool.

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 06:18 PM

Big Rob wrote
Quote:

As for the wrestlers... When was the last time you heard of a women who was raped while in a tight clinch.

I can tell you that there is a DAMN good chance that a rape will at least START from a clinch. I suppose it comes down to how you are defining the term.

I find it pretty difficult to imagine that grappling doesn't happen during rapes or that clinch skills in that situation aren't useful. Most folks would agree that know anything about grappling. And by that I mean, real grappling applicable to fighting. If a grappler can't apply his skill in the street, he simply doesn't have any decent level of skill.

Quote:

When people are angry and ready to fight they do not resort to their refined sport skills. This is not a Sport based tool.

They resort to those skills which have been athletically ingrained through hard training - sport or NO sport.

And clinch wrestling has absolutely ZERO to do with "sport". To understand this, you have to understand the difference between a delivery system and rules-based training paradigm. I'm not sure that you do.

Kerob wrote
Quote:

All valid poinst about being in a tight clinch from a real strong wrestler, but there are a few things one must consider.

1. Most people will never, ever be attacked by an Olympic wrestler, and if they are, they won't be raped/mugged/assasinated by his use of underhooks and hip tosses. He will attack aggressively with anger and rage being his driving weapon, not his technical skill.

Well, I agree that most people will not be attacked by Olympic wrestlers, but that wasn’t really my point. The point was to distinguish the differences between good and not so good wrestling. There are a LOT of people (depending on where you live) that understand good wrestling. There are many more of them coming up every day now that wrestling is being understand as a necessary element of a fighters arsenal. Word spreads to the wise and more effective wrestling is being taught and trained all over - and not just in wrestling gyms either. But in MMA circles and even karate schools.

And we probably shouldn’t be making blanket statements about how “they will attack”. People have a mind of their own.

Quote:

2. From a physical perspective, you start to shred at the instant there is aggressive movement or attacking from your assailant. If I wait to shred until he has a tight clinch with good positioning, I completely agree that I am setting my ability to reach targets back a lot. However, hes gotta get that clinch on me.

I understand that completely. That’s the name of the game isn’t it? Who is better able to impose his game. Of course that’s what it’s always come down to and always will. The better fighter usually wins and that is the person who is a master of imposing his game.

Quote:

And as he comes in, you must train to acquire the face and throat instantly, and honestly its really easy to do that on a grappler.

I’d be careful of those sorts assertions because again, you run the risk of making blanket statements. What it comes down to is timing and set ups as always. That will never change. THAT is a measure of skill. If you don’t have the skill to use a tool, you can have a toolbox of the finest available and they’ll be useless to you. The person with the most skill wins, regardless of what strategy you plan to use.

Quote:

I only have to get at his face and throat for an instant because thats all it takes to gouge, rip, or tear and start the defensive disengagement in my opponent. It takes time and energy from him to clinch me effectively and while hes trying to set that up, itll be like hugging a cat while you're dunking it in water.....

Honestly, JKogas, or anybody for that matter, I can type about it all I want, but you're not gonna see "get" it unless you see the tapes at the very least, and to really get it and be able to apply it well (and really, have it applied to you so you can understand what your opponent will feel like when being shredded) you have to train with either Rich, one of his instructors, or a serious student of his.

I agree with that completely and I hope to be investigating this very soon.

Quote:

If anyone is ever in the DC metro area, feel free to look me up and we can meet and I'll shred when you try whatever you want. I mean that in the friendliest way, I think its a great tool and I like meeting and exchanging ideas with people.

Hope everybody enjoys their day - Nick

Thanks Nick! I appreciate the insight. Maybe some day we can do just that. The program sounds interesting enough and I certainly am planning to look into it when I can. I keep my mind open (though skeptical) until I have the chance to form a more informed opinion.

I have experimented with similar concepts in the past which has lead me to the beliefs I have. In fact, I have a "program" as well. It is just a simple strategy and tool much like the shredder is - but different. I can guarantee you that if you're using this the right way, it WILL shut-down any offense from an opponent. It is extreme close range as well (clinch in other words).

What it all boils down to is who is able to achieve their strategic objectives like I said earlier. Thing is, I believe that the shredder from a conceptual standpoint, is a useful enough idea. I'm sure its quite worthwhile.

Take care and good luck with your training.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 10:12 PM

Quote:

I can tell you that there is a DAMN good chance that a rape will at least START from a clinch. I suppose it comes down to how you are defining the term.

I completely agree with you, more the point I was attempting to illustrate is that we utilize the shredder from a behavioral stand point. The example of being raped is defining why you are where you are. If you are being raped you are not going to clinch with the attacker and wrestle, you are going to comply and make them feel in control then you will lash out with a massive and unbridled attack to the attackers vital targets.

Quote:

I find it pretty difficult to imagine that grappling doesn't happen during rapes or that clinch skills in that situation aren't useful. Most folks would agree that know anything about grappling. And by that I mean, real grappling applicable to fighting. If a grappler can't apply his skill in the street, he simply doesn't have any decent level of skill.

I agree with you here as well, but in the majority of situations where you will be forced to defend yourself, if you are utilizing a behavioral delivery system then an advanced knowledge of grappling or clinching is often not required, as a matter of fact an advanced knowledge of any physical technique is often not required as defined above.

Don’t get me wrong gaining knowledge in the right context can only help to enhance your survivability however it is not required.

Quote:

And clinch wrestling has absolutely ZERO to do with "sport". To understand this, you have to understand the difference between a delivery system and rules-based training paradigm. I'm not sure that you do.

That maybe so, please explain to me how they are different?

Re: The Shredder - 07/26/06 10:33 PM

Quote:

… more the point I was attempting to illustrate is that we utilize the shredder from a behavioral stand point. The example of being raped is defining why you are where you are. If you are being raped you are not going to clinch with the attacker and wrestle, you are going to comply and make them feel in control then you will lash out with a massive and unbridled attack to the attackers vital targets.

That’s “one” strategy perhaps. You could also end up with a nice toe tag.

Quote:

I agree with you here as well, but in the majority of situations where you will be forced to defend yourself, if you are utilizing a behavioral delivery system then an advanced knowledge of grappling or clinching is often not required, as a matter of fact an advanced knowledge of any physical technique is often not required as defined above.

Behavioral in that, you are altering the behavior of your opponent? Why wouldn’t that be the case with ANY counter attack strategy?

Quote:

Don’t get me wrong gaining knowledge in the right context can only help to enhance your survivability however it is not required.

I don’t know about that. What you’re selling me is something nearly “foolproof” and which, “works every time”. The Plan A is so good that you don’t need a plan B. Plan B would be “knowledge” in the context of what you are referring to. And I have to completely disagree with that notion altogether, for obvious reasons I believe.

Quote:

That maybe so, please explain to me how they are different?

A delivery system has nothing to do with rules. From a delivery system (stand-up fighting, clinch fighting, submission grappling, etc.) all manner of attacks are executed. Doesn‘t matter WHAT those attacks are (foul tactics, punching, kicking, knee shots, elbows, etc).

A delivery system is like a gun. Attacks are like bullets. You can load that “gun” with whatever bullets you wish. Without that gun however (skill), all you have are bullets. You might as well just pick them up and THROW them at your target. You have to have skill in the delivery system in other words. THIS is where skill matters. A person with functional skill in the delivery systems will prevail over a person who does not -- regardless of whatever “tool” they’re attempting to use (lets leave it to “empty hands” for the time being).

The CLINCH is one of the three core delivery systems. It makes use of tactics that can be found within various combat sports, of which the main ones are Greco-Roman and muay Thai. However, you aren’t limited to training that delivery system against a rules-based backdrop. In other words, you’re not limited to what you can do. You could “shred” in other words from a Greco clinch (which is where I begin to think about it’s utility).

Skill matters in these delivery systems and always will. That is to say, a Randy Couture will have a better “shredder” say compared to a doofus that lives down the block. This is because Randy has a WORLD CLASS clinch delivery system.

I could take a boxer and teach him eye jabbing (to use an example). Take the same “doofus” and show him the same technique done the exact same way. Who is going to be a better eye jabber? The boxer will, again because he has more skill in the delivery system.

Take a good blue or purple belt (or higher) in Brazilian jiu-jitsu who understands biting and eye gouging, and you’re going to have a MUCH better person capable of doing so on the ground than the “doofus” down the block.

Why? Better delivery system on the ground. There is NO way around this simple principle.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 01:06 PM

Quote:

I don’t know about that. What you’re selling me is something nearly “foolproof” and which, “works every time”. The Plan A is so good that you don’t need a plan B. Plan B would be “knowledge” in the context of what you are referring to. And I have to completely disagree with that notion altogether, for obvious reasons I believe.

I’m sorry you have made that assumption, I’m not selling you anything “Fool proof”. In my world their are no grantees, just opportunities to enhance your ability to get home alive.
The fact is there are countless people who have successfully defended themselves that had no formal training, this means that formal training is not required to defend yourself. Is it desirable, of course.

Quote:

A delivery system has nothing to do with rules.

Thanks for taking the time to fully answer my question, as I suspected I did understand what a delivery system was and I’m glad we are on the same page?

I’d like to clarify some of the logic behind the delivery system and I will do so by quoting an article by Richard Dimitri
Before I do so I’d like to state the assertion that “You fight the way you train”

Now for the article.

Quote:

DELIVERY SYSTEMS
Mon Jun 07, 2004

There’s much talk about delivery systems. A proper delivery system is critical and in order to develop a proper one, it is integral to train with resistance and energy. This we all know. However, there are 2 distinct delivery systems. One is physical while the other and most often neglected and misunderstood, is behavioral.

In a sporting type situation like a MMA fight and sparring, the predominant delivery system is physical. One absolutely needs a striking arsenal, a clinching arsenal as well as a grappling arsenal, no 2 ways about that. The sporting event also has 3 elements a real violent confrontation doesn’t: Awareness, consent and preparation. These 3 elements eliminate several things such as fear (for ones life that is and not a fear of losing or looking bad), emotional inertia, the fight or flight response, the triggering of adrenal stress (although a NHB fight will trigger adrenaline, the context in which the mind perceives the threat is very different) and the rage in which the attack is delivered. In a sporting event, your opponent although trying to knock you out or submit you, isn’t trying to maim, cripple or kill you; this alone creates a completely different state of mind than a complete stranger hell bent on finishing you off. The very fact that you can tap out whenever you feel you’ve had too much or that the ref can stop the fight or your corner can throw in the towel also creates a different state of mind not congruous to that of a real violent confrontation.

The real threats are the rapists, the muggers, gang bangers, the random bullies and ego jocks, the road rage incidents, the potential murderers, spousal & parental abuse etc.

There is a certain certainty that comes with sports training that doesn’t exist outside of that avenue and that is the unknown. It’s been said ad-nauseam, but weapons, multiples, environment, people accompanying you etc. ads the stress of the unknown. It changes things and dictates different strategic implementations, tactical responses, etc. The arena is different therefore the tools need to differ and so does the delivery system. What is reality? Go to your nearest 'hard reputed' club, pub or bar on a Friday or Saturday night and simply observe the behavior, the initiation, the escalation and the treacherous development of a few fights. See if any of the participants "spar", stand at 4 or 5 feet away from each other first and square off. Check it out and compare it to the training that you do.

With that in mind, a real attack on your person primarily deals with an attack on the mind which triggers a very different physiological response. Let’s examine this very hypothetical scenario for a moment: A top NHB fighter goes bad and decides to rape a woman. How will he approach her? Will he be gloved up, wearing a mouthpiece after warming up for the last 20 minutes or will he most probably be dressed in his every day clothes and approach her with dialogue as a set up? Is he in any way, shape or form expecting her to fight back, and if so, how easily does he believe he can submit her and keep her under control and have his way with her? Is his guard up or down? Is his ego up or down? Will his primary attack be a jab/cross combo followed by a clinch to take down, a mount and a ground and pound or will he most likely grab her by her hair threatening her anticipating and receiving a victim’s response of passive/submissive behavior? Does she not have the element of surprise as an advantage if she decided to fight back? And if she did fight back, would her primary attack be a clinch followed by an HKE combo or would she not attack vitals first considering the position and mind set of both predator and prey in such a situation?

When Mike Tyson allegedly raped Desiree Washington, did it look anything like his match against Donovan Roddock that same year? Did he knock her out with a hook prior to forcing himself on her?

Out of every successful rape escape incident we’ve all heard about in the last 20 years on the news where a woman successfully defended herself against a violent rapist and criminal, never, not once did the report ever mention her using a rear naked choke, a clinch, a boxing combination or any other sort of ‘martial arts techniques’. As a matter of fact, every time it was mentioned that a woman had some form of martial training, the result ended in rape.

In the next example, when a woman attempted a martial arts technique, her attacker threatened to kill her, she only survived when she went primal and instinctively fought back. For example:

Quote:

"After going to sleep, I was in the dead of sleep, I woke up with a man on top of me," Mira said on Good Morning America. I immediately just had the reaction to get him off of me at that point he told me he had a gun and I felt it against my left chest. He was restraining me with both of his hands and the gun was across my chest and I just took my left hand and I started just pushing it away from me."

Mira started trying to push him off with her hands and feet, using some martial arts and self-defense techniques that she had learned years before.

"Do you want to die?" he asked. At that point, something snapped and she sprung into action, Mira said. In what she described as something like "a dream state," she wrestled the .38-caliber revolver away from her 170-pound attacker and rolled him onto the floor. She fired three shots at the man, striking him twice in the upper torso. "Mira," is a single mom and bookkeeper in her early 30s who said she acted only on instinct, and was driven by the desire to survive.”

ABC NEWS.COM GOOD MORNING AMERICA

Contrarily though, every successful rape attempts were done by primal defensive tactics such as gouging, ripping, biting or the presence of a firearm as the example above.

For example:

Quote:

“Fri May 7, 8:47 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A woman bit off the lower lip of a fugitive man she said attacked her outside her house in the South African town of Tzaneen, police said on Friday. They said the man -- who was already wanted on charges of burglary and rape -- waited outside the woman's house for her to return from an errand and then tried to drag her inside.

"This woman managed to grab the lower lip of the man with her teeth and bit it off," police Captain Moatshe Ngoepe told Reuters. The man was arrested when he sought treatment at a nearby hospital. He is due to appear at magistrates’ court on Friday.”

Another example:

Quote:

“A rapist was left speechless when his intended victim bit off his tongue as he tried to force it into her mouth. The 30-year-old woman from Harry squatter camp in Wadeville on the East Rand then ran off, tongue in mouth, to the nearest police station a kilometer away. Police were shocked when she produced the bitten-off tongue. Moments later, the suspect also arrived in agony, with blood pouring from his mouth, hoping to get medical help. He was immediately arrested.

The woman was in a state of shock and had clearly been in a struggle with the suspect, said Superintendent Sam Maredi of the Actonville police station.

"She displayed all the emotional signs of a rape victim and was given counseling," he said. The woman had, however, managed to turn the tables on her attacker.

Maredi added that the woman had been attacked as she made her way home at about 6pm on Saturday.

"The culprit attacked her and then tried to put his tongue in her mouth. When he did this the fast-thinking woman bit it off," said Maredi. The suspect appeared briefly in the Benoni magistrate's court on Sunday.

The Star Published on the Web by IOL on 2000-10-09 21:25:07

Or how about this one:

Quote:

“My friend Lynn was walking in the park one afternoon and saw a woman in the initial stages of an assault. Lynn (maybe 5'5") went into rampage mode and attacked the assailant. The two women were able to drive the attacker away while drawing attention to the situation by yelling the whole time. Lynn's action was selfless and unrestrained. The intended victim later told police that Lynn's direct and physical intervention broke the assailant's concentration and his resolve to do her harm.

Assault Prevention Information Network, September 1st 1996.

Outside of the ring, the delivery system is behavioral. The attacker isn’t squaring off with you unless your response is ego based (I.e. shoves, face offs, mouthing off etc.) Your attacker perceives you as being his victim, which is why he chose you. That is to be used to your advantage. Since your attacker sees you as being week and compliant, sticking with that in mind prior to retaliation enhances your retaliation. This will lower his guard and raise his ego making him the perfect candidate for a brutal and completely unexpected physical retaliation. That is the ideal time to strike if necessary and that preemptive strike most likely won’t be a jab, hook or Thai kick, or at least, shouldn’t considering the objective is to maim and not just hurt. The shot you don’t see coming is the one that hurts the most because your mind and body were not prepared for the assault. In a sporting event, the mind and body are fully prepared and aware of the retaliation therefore the nature of that attack process and response time is completely and critically different.

So stating that root skills in a sporting delivery system is an absolute necessity and that without it you are doomed is a fallacy. Although these skills can do nothing but improve and enhance your survivability and health for that matter, they are not necessarily the end all and be all for far more people have successfully defended themselves against certain odds with absolutely no training whatsoever then there have been martial artists who have used what they learned to successfully defend themselves.

A behavioral delivery system is critical, much more so than a physical one in terms of personal protection. This is what loads the dice in the favor of the intended victim because seldom will an attacker pick someone whom he thinks or believes will hurt or maim them as a victim. The attacker will predominantly and primarily make an attack on the mind prior to an attack on the body, hence posturing, instigation through intimidation, cursing, threats, explicit anger, etc. The range will also be close quarter but the aggression will not be sport related at all, it will be very different such as lapel grabs, strangulations, weapon deployments, tackles, shoves, hair pulls, and sucker punches from natural / non sport combative stances, incorporating aggressive dialogue, threats, etc.

If the attacker doesn’t suspect a violent retaliation targeting vitals such as eyes, throat and facial features (not using the standard punching or JKD finger jabs either), his reaction will be very different than if he was squaring off with an opponent who was trying to do the same… in one instant, it is seemingly out of nowhere, in the other, there was awareness, consent and preparation. It is the state of mind and behavioral delivery system that makes such attacks successful not the ‘technique’ or tool itself. The problem is in fixating on the tool (the eye gouge for instance) and claiming “anyone can do that”, yes, it is true; anyone can do that, however, how many real fights that you've seen or heard of ended with one of the opponent's having their eyes gouged out? Point being, although anyone can do it, most people don’t and don’t even consider it or train for it for that matter. So yes, anyone 'can' do it, but rarely does anyone 'do' do it. Just because you played badminton all your life doesn’t automatically make you a good tennis player.

This of course doesn’t mean you don’t need a good physical delivery system. We’ve always and continue to advocate the necessity of both a behavioral and physical delivery system. If anything, we highly recommend actively training in an alive combative discipline. However, some people unfortunately don’t have the time, energy, or desire for that matter to train 3 or 4 times per week to enhance their combative skills. Does this mean they cannot learn to effectively defend themselves? Does this mean that they don’t have the right to defend themselves? Absolutely not. If that were the case, we wouldn’t be alive as a species today since people have been effectively defending themselves since the dawn of man and before MMA arts or NHB ever existed. So how did they do it? How does a woman defeat a crazed rapist without any prior training at all? Luck? I think not. There’s much to be said about attitude, mind set and belief systems. The behavioral and psychological arsenals fine tunes our already existing survival instinct. The key is in getting people back in touch with it, we already posses the tools and instinct, we just need to re-awaken them and stay true to the physiological rules that govern our minds and body.

Richard Dimitri

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 02:50 PM

Big-Rob:

Great article. It explained well the differences between the physical and behavioral delivery systems, and helps me understand the concepts behind the Shredder better than I did before.

It makes me wonder about how to train to "get in touch" with those survival instincts that Mr. Dimitri talks about in article. Do you believe that this is possible in the context of sparring, MMA, or more "sport-like" training?

Thinking on my own training, I remember 16 yrs ago (as a new black belt coming from one club to another that fought much more aggressively and with heavier contact) being put in the corner and pounded on by other black belts until I either crumpled or fought back. Although I am sure no one would have truly maimed or killed me, the constant barrage of fists and feet, often with quite heavy contact, definitely elicited a fight or flight response which forced me to choose whether to actually learn to fight back or just curl up into the fetal position and take my lumps. Although I have never been involved in the "RBSD movement", this kind of training sure taught me the importance of being able to "turn on" your aggression in a potentially dangerous situation.

What are your thoughts?
Peace,
Mike

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 06:25 PM

Well, I began to critique the article but realized that it was pointless to do so (considering the length).

Lets just say that I disagree with many (though not ALL) of the points made. One of the first arguments in the article is nothing but a false premise. If that's the case, then most of what follows the arguement to support it will be false as well.

I'll take a look later and see if there are some more specific points to debate.

Cheers!

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 07:15 PM

I wanted to post the source of the article as well because I had neglected to do so in the previous post. So here is the source - http://senshido.savi.ca/viewtopic.php?t=1769

Quote:

It makes me wonder about how to train to "get in touch" with those survival instincts that Mr. Dimitri talks about in article. Do you believe that this is possible in the context of sparring, MMA, or more "sport-like" training?

You get in touch with your survival instincts through no consent training that causes adrenaline dumps.

I think it is possible to apply some of the concepts to sports based training although sport is very different from street. However if you watch Chuck liddel fight for example he is very instinctual and people often comment about how his punches are sloppy and come out of no where. Yet he is currently the best.

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 07:18 PM

Quote:

I'll take a look later and see if there are some more specific points to debate.

I’m interested to hear what points you find invalid.

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 08:07 PM

Big_Rob:

So how does one do "no consent" training? If I am "training", then that implies consent, right? The fact that I am "training" implies that those I train with are "training partners", not opponents, and that they will NOT be trying to really kill or maim me, as we are training and not really fighting.

Even if we train without prior knowledge of what will be thrown at us and without restriction on what techniques will be used against us, the fact that we are "training" means that those techniques will be done without intent to do lasting damage. If they meant to do real damage, then we would be "fighting" and not training. So, in "training", no matter how intense, I know that I will most likely come out alive and relatively unharmed.

Peace,
Mike

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 08:10 PM

Here's one:

Quote:

There is a certain certainty that comes with sports training that doesn’t exist outside of that avenue and that is the unknown.

Right THERE crystallizes the entire problem I have with this article!

There is a underlying suggestion that there is a "better" way of training which can be found with the shredder and senshido.

My counter argument to that is that ANY AND ALL training is just that – training!

There will ALWAYS be a “certain certainty” to ANY training, unless you are deliberately attempting to KILL YOUR TRAINING PARTNERS! I just find this argument to be completely absurd.

I'm looking further over the article now. But I could stop with that one sentence there and go no further. It does enough alone to deflate many of the points in the article.

ALL of training is ultimately "pretend", unless you're really attempting to injure or kill your partners. If it's anything less than that, it's going to be no different than anything else. Aliveness is the bottom line. If training is alive, it's alive. Thus it will reflect the nature of MMA.

Yet, HERE is an article suggesting that MMA style training is somehow counter-productive. To which I disagree.

Let me add that I completely respect Richard Dimitri and all of you who embrace his philosophy. I am not in disagreement for the sake of being disrespectful in any way. I just disagree with a few points in the article being discussed. To each his own.

That said, I would enjoy continuing this debate, in as respectful a way as possible.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/28/06 10:39 PM

I agree completely. 100%. Real life has way more variables than one can necessarily simulate in training.

So your way of dealing that is to remove variables almost entirely from training as opposed to including as many as you can?

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 01:01 AM

Quote:

So how does one do "no consent" training? If I am "training", then that implies consent, right? The fact that I am "training" implies that those I train with are "training partners", not opponents, and that they will NOT be trying to really kill or maim me, as we are training and not really fighting.

Even if we train without prior knowledge of what will be thrown at us and without restriction on what techniques will be used against us, the fact that we are "training" means that those techniques will be done without intent to do lasting damage. If they meant to do real damage, then we would be "fighting" and not training. So, in "training", no matter how intense, I know that I will most likely come out alive and relatively unharmed.

I completely agree with you, there is a fine line. We first have to accept that no training will ever be real life, it is simply not possible while still maintaining a level of safety.

So how do you do no consent? Well you simply work in an environment where you do not know what is going to happen. You make it as realistic as possible with out compromising a reasonable level of safety.
I will give a contrast between typical training and no consent training.
I take a BJJ class with a friend ever month or so who is a Machado instructor. When I go to the class this is what I know and what I’m consenting to.

1. He tells me who I’m rolling with
2. We grapple to submission
3. It’s 1 on 1 so I know who I’m fighting (no multiples so there is no need to worry about getting off the ground or sitting in guard all day)
4. I know the parameters of the fight
5. Often times the skill level of the opponent
6. I know what techniques are legal
7. I know when it starts
8. I know When its over
9. There is no verbal aspect
10. No emotion
11. ect..

On the other hand when I train RBSD, I have a group of 3 or more people depending on the day. We maybe in the middle of doing a tactile sensitivity drill. And out of nowhere and with out reason one of my training partners turns to me and pushes me as hard as he can into the wall and starts yelling something about me taking his money, I attempt to talk him down and he pulls out a metal training knife and tells me if I don’t give him back his money I’m dead (add additional profanities), I don’t have my wallet or money on me so I tell him that I can get some he says he doesn’t care, he is getting visibly angry with me and finally tries to stab me hard and fast with out warning. I luckily get a 2 on 1 (arm grab)
As he is attacking me my other TP acts as a good Samaritan and tries to break up the fight not seeing the knife he pulls me off of the attacker and I lose my grip on his arm thus the knife is again free. He starts swinging at both of us and I finally grab his arm again and the other tp helps me take him to the ground. I rip the knife out of his hand he quickly grips my hand and bites my nipple through my shirt, I jump he rolls and my “Good Samaritan” partner gets his back. Now I switch roles and start attacking the attacker, so I stab him a few times because he deserved it and the attacker is now stuck fighting off 2 people. Till he give up or we assume he must be dead. (sometimes we do it with total realism, other times we do over kill and next to nothing can kill him, depends on the scenario, schedule, mood, ect)

So yes I did consent to the training in both situations however I did not consent to being attacked with a metal training knife in the middle a drill. Nor did I expect to be hindered by a second person, similarly he did not expect me to switch it on him and he never thought that in the end he would be the prey.

Another contrast to traditional training would be, if we run a scenario, lets say I’m imagining that I’m at the bus stop and my TP comes up to me acting like a beggar asking for money and being mildly aggressive. All the other people there that are training are participating as bystanders or friends ect.. I may or may not know what they are doing there. I do not know what the beggar is doing or his intentions. I do not know if he just wants money or attention or if he intends on hurting me. I can not just assume he wants to hurt me and start kicking his butt. I need to find out, I need to control the situation and I need to be aware of everyone else around me. I also do not know his level of skill, sometime we will be specific and say he’s an ex-boxer who got lung cancer or something like that. So if we go to the ground he would not act like he trained BJJ. Ect.. There are many options and variables to add.

In both contrasts I did not have any of the 10 things listed that I had while in the BJJ class.

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 01:12 AM

Quote:

Here's one:

Quote:

There is a certain certainty that comes with sports training that doesn’t exist outside of that avenue and that is the unknown.

Right THERE crystallizes the entire problem I have with this article!

There is a underlying suggestion that there is a "better" way of training which can be found with the shredder and senshido.

My counter argument to that is that ANY AND ALL training is just that – training!

There will ALWAYS be a “certain certainty” to ANY training, unless you are deliberately attempting to KILL YOUR TRAINING PARTNERS! I just find this argument to be completely absurd.

I'm looking further over the article now. But I could stop with that one sentence there and go no further. It does enough alone to deflate many of the points in the article.

ALL of training is ultimately "pretend", unless you're really attempting to injure or kill your partners. If it's anything less than that, it's going to be no different than anything else. Aliveness is the bottom line. If training is alive, it's alive. Thus it will reflect the nature of MMA.

Yet, HERE is an article suggesting that MMA style training is somehow counter-productive. To which I disagree.

Let me add that I completely respect Richard Dimitri and all of you who embrace his philosophy. I am not in disagreement for the sake of being disrespectful in any way. I just disagree with a few points in the article being discussed. To each his own.

That said, I would enjoy continuing this debate, in as respectful a way as possible.

-John

I can appreciate what you are saying and I would love to continue this debate, I will never resort to disrespect, so feel comfortable in voicing your opinion we are here to exchange ideas and hopefully find a little knowledge and enlightenment.
First we must understand that verbal face to face communication is a flawed and inaccurate representation of what your trying to express thus written communication is even worse. If we can accept that and work in the belief that if we discussed this in person we would probably be great friends then I think we can all learn something from each other.

I hope that after reading my post to Xibalba you may more clearly understand my stand on Sport vs Street style training.

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 08:23 AM

Thanks for the reply Big-Rob.

You have some interesting ways to do training with "no consent". I have no experience with RBSD-style training, so please bear with my basic questions:

1. Is this scenario-type training the backbone of RBSD training?

2. Do those coming to a training group like yours without any prior MA skill or knowledge learn a basic set of tools/techniques (a physical delivery system, if you will) from the group before engaging in scenario training, or is this kind of training generally used for those who come to the group already having physical skill?

3. If you do teach a physical delivery system, what things do you teach?

4. Are verbal de-escalation and situational awareness skills taught as well? (In the handful of altercations/potential altercations I have been in, my verbal de-escalation skills and situational awareness have been used much more often than any physical technique).

Thanks for indulging me!
Mike

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 08:35 AM

So there is basic "role playing" involved. Ok. Thanks. I think I'm done with this debate as I see the underlying premise now (which is always the case with RBSD training).

I'm just not a fan of that sort of thing. Its STILL pretend no matter how much we dress that sort of thing up.

When you come to training, you "know" that you're training. If you "know" in advance that at some point, a person is going to "surprise" you, there is no surprise.

It doesn't get MY "hackles" up if I know that my partners, whom I train with all the time, are going to "pretend" to rob me.

I feel that the time spent doing that could be put to better use actually training the delivery systems and gaining skill. The people who HAVE skill in the delivery systems ALWAYS come out on top in the "scenario" drill as it is. There is a reason for that.

That said, good luck and have fun. That's what it's all about.

-John
Posted by: Kazama

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 09:50 AM

that's a cool picture. the one with the guys and his eyes getting gouged out. They must have some talented artists over there.

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 10:53 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Big-Rob.

My pleasure

Quote:

I’m not sure if I would use the word backbone, however it is absolutely critical for testing your skill level in an environment as close to reality as possible.

Quote:

2. Do those coming to a training group like yours without any prior MA skill or knowledge learn a basic set of tools/techniques (a physical delivery system, if you will) from the group before engaging in scenario training, or is this kind of training generally used for those who come to the group already having physical skill?

We do many different levels of scenario some with little to no contact, so the answer is no.
However we do not randomly attack someone in the middle of a session that has no physical delivery system that is reserved for more experienced individuals.

Quote:

3. If you do teach a physical delivery system, what things do you teach?

Out methodology is a little different and often controversial. We do not teach technique’s, We teach from a Conceptual basis, utilizing strategies and tactics, Goals, Opportunities, Tools, targets, Range and Energy regardless of the circumstance.
This is the hardest subject for me to come to an absolute conclusion on, I struggle with this on a regular basis but I’m still on the path of no technique, strictly conceptual.

In our training we really try not to reference anything from anywhere, this is extremely difficult because we are always influenced by, Prior training, instructional’s, Sporting events, Street fights, personal experience ect.. But we really try to build our concepts out of necessity and build our attack and defense arsenal from spontaneous opportunism. In our training there exist only Goals, Opportunities, Tools, targets, Range and Energy regardless of the circumstance.

I think the issue for me is specific application and rigidly adhering to each technique or sequence.

Take Blocking a right hook for example. I know many different ways in which to block this type of attack. Lets Look a technique from Kung Fu, Karate and Kali.

Kung Fu will at times use an Open hand Palm down soft hooking block attempting to flow with the energy and then grasp at the opponents limb.
Karate will at times use a Clenched Fist Palm up hard thrusting block attempting to injury to opponents attacking limb and then counter punch
Kali will at times use a Cover style bent arm style block attempting to injury to opponents attacking limb with their elbow to the muscle and then counter punch

So here is the problem, if I go to a Kung Fu school and use a Kali style block I will be reprimanded and shown the proper way to block with in their school or system, whether or not it was effective at the time.
Also during a surprise attack I may instinctively deviate from what I’ve been taught and thus resist the instinctive action. This is what is referred to as Stylistic interference.

It is too laborious to try to fit a specific movement in response to a specific stimuli when you can simply understand what tools you poses and then allow your body and mind to adaptively respond to the moment based on range and energy. Your body can only move in so many directions, why should you limit yourself to specific movements or conversely why should you attempt to memorize and catalog every movement that every system has to offer when you can simply do what your body wants to do instinctively and then refine those movements through training.

Ok so lets look at the right hook again only this time with the the conceptual approach. Because we have no specific techniqiue for a right hook punch, we have the freedom deal with it the same way we might if it was a lapel grab, clinch. ect.., We are looking at Range and Energy, we are attacking the energy of the movement so it doesn’t reach us. We are jamming the attack, moving towards the energy of the attack, meeting the attacking limb before it meets us, also meeting the attacking limb ideally before it generates it’s intended power. Plus with attacking the energy (as opposed to utilizing a specific stylistic memorized blocking method) we can utilize this movement with any attack with similar energy for example a Haymaker, A stab to the face, Someone grabbing the back of my neck to initiate a clinch, a lapel grab..ect.. these are all the same energy and I can prevent them with out concern or thought of which technique to chose.

Although what I described is just dealing with defense we use a similar methodology for attacking.

I think a good example is Sun Tzu’s teachings and how they go along way because they are mostly conceptual in basis. They are translatable and applicable to many areas of life. Where as other military writings Clausewitz for example were too technical in their approach, so when technology and terrain change their technical methods become antiquated as well. (although they may still be useful in a historical manor.) This analogously illustrates how I feel about Technique based system vs. The Concept Based.

Quote:

4. Are verbal de-escalation and situational awareness skills taught as well? (In the handful of altercations/potential altercations I have been in, my verbal de-escalation skills and situational awareness have been used much more often than any physical technique).

Absolutely, these are critical and the first line of defense in our training.
We basically simplify a confrontation into 3 logical phases (Pre-Contact, Contact, Post Contact) we then break each phase up into parts, we then teach how to deal with the confrontation at each phase through lecture, drills and scenario’s.
Basically the phases look like this.

1.Pre contact phase
a. Preparation
b. Awareness
c. Intuition
d. Avoidance
e. Empathic communication
f. Demonstrative communication
g. De-escalation
h. Deceitful manipulation
i. Pre-emptive striking

2.Contact
a. Weapons
b. Kicking
c. Punching
d. Grappling
e. Take Down
f. Speed
g. Strength
h. Stamina
i. Stance
j. Footwork

3.Post Contact
a. Communicating with the attacker
b. Communicating with the police
c. Legal consequences
d. Moral consequences
e. Opponent retaliation
f. Injuries

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 11:11 AM

Quote:

So there is basic "role playing" involved. Ok. Thanks. I think I'm done with this debate as I see the underlying premise now (which is always the case with RBSD training).

I'm just not a fan of that sort of thing. Its STILL pretend no matter how much we dress that sort of thing up.

We do train regular physical drills as well, it is not all scenario work. I would like to hear your opinion on this sort of training and why you dislike it. I will not be judgmental or pedantic. Maybe you have a better training methodology and research to back it up. I’m always open to new information and I’m willing to alter my methodology for a better alternative.

Quote:

When you come to training, you "know" that you're training. If you "know" in advance that at some point, a person is going to "surprise" you, there is no surprise.

This is not true, when you are focused on something and someone attacks you whether or not you know who it is, it’s still a surprise.
It’s the same as watching a scary movie, you know the chick is in the shower and she just left the front door open. You clearly hear the music slowing down and you know someone is going to come in and kill her, your heart still starts to race a little and you still jump and get frightened when the guy comes out of no where and starts hacking away and God forbid a friend is sitting next to you who has seen the movie before and grabs your leg at the right moment, you might just wet yourself.
In our training it can be even more intense when you know the person has a metal training knife and is actually going to hit you with it hard. sure it's not going to kill you but it will cut you and it will hurt a lot.

Quote:

I feel that the time spent doing that could be put to better use actually training the delivery systems and gaining skill.

I can appreciate that and this is why we spend time doing drills as well, it’s not just a day full of bad acting and profanities.

Quote:

The people who HAVE skill in the delivery systems ALWAYS come out on top in the "scenario" drill as it is. There is a reason for that.

Well that is not actually true.

I do hope you continue to give your input, however our opinions may differ I do value what you have to contribute.
As I recently heard someone say, "if 2 people think exactly alike, one of them is not needed"

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 11:16 AM

what he said

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 12:18 PM

Quote:

The people who HAVE skill in the delivery systems ALWAYS come out on top in the "scenario" drill as it is. There is a reason for that.

Thats just not true, its a bit like saying whichever army has the biggest tanks and guns will win, which is also untrue...many guys who focus just on the physical arsenal have very little tactical awareness, mindset, or defusal skills. They resort to just pounding their way out of a situation which more often than not results in them being stabbed, shot, or badly beaten because they overlooked a variable or made a glaring tactical error.

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 07:26 PM

Thanks again for the answers, Rob.

There are some points I agree with you on, and some that I do not. I will try to present my views as clearly and logically as you presented yours .

I am in full agreement with the teaching of verbal de-escalation and situational awareness in MA training - I often think that this is missed (or an after-thought) in most traditional MA curriculum. I, for example, in my 20 yrs of MA involvement, do not feel that I learned these skills in MA class, per se. I happen to be a social worker, and I worked for several years with adults with serious mental illness. The agency I worked for did extensive training in empathy and verbal de-escalation - these were OUR first line of defense, as none of us wanted to be wrestling with any 200+ lb. agitated mentally ill men! Needless to say, these skills are invaluable in the "real world" as well, and I have used them a couple of times to defuse potentially dangerous situations outside of that job.

I disagree, however, with the "conceptual" approach to teaching a physical delivery system. I agree that being stuck in the pattern of "Attack A warrants response B, attack C warrants response D, etc." is not useful and downright dangerous. However, I feel that it is through the repetition of basic, fundamental technique, that one learns the proper biomechanics of combat and ingrains these into one's muscle memory. It is at this point - when the proper biomechanics are instinctual - that the student then realizes that these biomechanics can be generalized to multiple situations. The student becomes the technique. No longer is the student's response ruled by pre-arranged patterns, but the student realizes that his arsenal of technique can be applied in any way needed for the situation. But I firmly believe that this comes only through A LOT of repetition of the basics of an art. As an instructor, my primary goal with a beginner is to get them to move their body in a biomechanically efficient way to generate maximum power in combat - i.e., basic fundamental technique. A deep understanding of the conceptual realm of SD is nice, but really does a beginner no good if they are still flailing around ineffectively whenever the situation becomes physical.

So, to sum up, yea to the verbal de-escalation/avoidance/situational awareness skills, nay to the conceptual way of teaching physical self-defense. I think the best way to prepare students for self-defense is to arm them with the tools to avoid bad situations, de-escalate/escape if possible, and give them a good physical delivery system rooted in biomechanically efficient fundamentals just in case things go south.

Thanks for indulging me, and I look forward to continued discussion on this topic.

Respectfully,

Mike

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 09:33 PM

Quote:

I disagree, however, with the "conceptual" approach to teaching a physical delivery system.

I absolutely respect what you’re saying and is a very common response. As I mentioned this method is often considered controversial. I will try to give a little more detail into how it works.

Quote:

No longer is the student's response ruled by pre-arranged patterns, but the student realizes that his arsenal of technique can be applied in any way needed for the situation.

Excellent point, with the conceptual method we skip right past all the techniques and patterns and right into generalized and instinctual movements.

We teach with the Socratic method we give the student a problem and they must solve it the best way they know how while adhearing to the guidelines I will present below. Once they come to the best conclusion for themselves, they own the concept, it is their invention and thus immediately internalized, it suits them and not me or someone else.
We then pressure test the new method with scenario’s and hard contact in order to affirm its real life effectiveness.

Also it is not random or haphazard. They must follow some critical guidelines when discovering their optimal methodology. For example coming back to the right hook, when someone is defending against the right hook they must be able to defend it the same way with full power, empty hand, with a weapon, hile surprised, ect.. this quickly weeds out ineffective movements. Often times experienced BB martial artist come to train and their own systems methodology will not pass these tests.

For a little clarity, we teach many concepts, I’ll give you an idea of some of the pieces of what might be taught.

Striking for example I will teach the idea of Tools and Targets vs. specific techniques, you will know if you are striking correctly if you following these guidelines, you must be using Economy of Motion, attacking with your Closest Weapon to his Closest Target and Attacking his Primary Targets. Ect..

For Ground Fighting there exists additional concerns, we must understanding the significance of space and weight, Maintaining good posture and a secure base, Restricting mobility and breathing. Ect.

Some concepts for Creating Power would be understanding Distance, Grounding, Timing, ect.

Additional concepts for the Behavioral aspect we teach to be Proactive, to take “Responsibility” (the ability to chose your response), to be goal oriented, to Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood (meet others where they are before you can take them were you want them to go), ect..

Tools are anything you can use to do work, and targets are what we attack with our tools. A tool could be your fingers and a target could be your opponents eyes. The difference here is we are not finger jabbing the left eye socket. We are simply attempting to cause trauma to the eye with our fingers while following the above stated guidelines. We do not need to concern ourselves with attempting to remember if technique number 62 fits the specific attack being launch.
Please take into consideration that we find proper execution and Biomechanics to be very important, we just don’t need to memorize every defense and attack combination to every conceivable attack. If we understand the OODA loop, Hicks law, the reptilian brain, Survival Stress Response, Adrenaline Dumps, ect we will see that memorized skills developed with cognitive repetition are often unavailable during a high stress situations and thus most trained martial artist rarely use their skills in real life situations. This is not to say it never happen or that we do not experience moments of clarity in an altercation because we do. The bottom line is humans are thinking machines our whole world is built from someone’s concept brought into reality.

Re: The Shredder - 07/29/06 11:55 PM

To the folks who state that people skilled in delivery systems do not come out on top in scenario training. I have two words to say. One is horse and the other is sh*t.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful but I've been around long enough to know the truth of this when I have seen and experienced it.

Some of you are going to try and tell me that UNSKILLED people are going to come out on top either equally or more so than do the skilled (with regard to skill in delivery systems) and I'm going to call boolshit on that.

But you are welcome to your opinions and beliefs. My opinions of this aren't based on "beliefs" but on experiences in training.

I could arrange a scenario (regardless of what it consists of). I could take two people; one a non martial artist and one, a person skilled in stand-up, clinch and ground fighting.

The guy with a legitimate game is going to fare better in the scenario drills 99 times out of 100. If you're trying to say that this isn't true, you're fooling yourselves folks.

Skill IS a requirement. Without it, all you have are gimmicks which fall apart when and if you meet someone with game, who can fight and has the hard won mental toughness that is generally developed in conjuntion with those skills and experience.

Believe what you wish.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 01:04 AM

I both JK and Big ROB are right in many ways. Big Rob is right that memorization is generally useless, and we need to have skills with de escalation and related areas, and a concept/strategy oriented system is most effective, and scenario training that is "No consent" or as close to that as possible really is criticla. That is basically the same as "Alive" training.
JK is right on that a guy with a solid game plan and skill set will always do better than someone without those skills, however if they aren't accustomed to unique and violent scenarios that are holistic and all encompassing they may have problems in those situations, if they only train one on one sport styl,e with nothing vbut emphasis on mental skills.
I think the key here is a balance of both training methods. Big Robs methods are not a waste of time JK, they are very effective and that is proven, however Big Rob, JK is right that a trained guy is always better in a real situation and a solid skill set is requierd. you have to give people some fundamental skills and tactics before throwing htem into bad situations.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 01:17 AM

It depends on what you mean by "physically skilled." And evne then, physical just don't matter sometimes.

I posted an example a while ago about how technique doesn't increase survivability. Basically, a Russian martial arts guy (supposedly a champion SOMBO and kickboxer guy) whos name escapes me was killed in new york city when he was robbed by a guy and his girlfriend. He was with his wife. The gangbangers asked for the wifes purse at gun point, he kicked the gun out of one of their hands, and clinched and started to grapple with the guy whos gun he had just kicked a way. The guys girlfriend freaked, pulled a gun, and shot the russian gentleman twice, killing him.

Now, did his physical skills do him a lick of good? No. In fact, if anything, they got him killed because his sport training forced him to respond in a textbook, technical fashion. What was he ignoring? The variables and the pre-contact psychology.

All the physical skills in the world can mean d-ck if you don't have violent confrontation management skills. We see it all the time with guys pulling off takedowns in scenarios against an armed opponent, or mouthing off to multiples who proceed to stomp on him, or do things like leave "significant others" behind after they've stunned one attacker and ran for it.

I bet if you took the same situation, trained his wife just in the psychological, with no physical tool set, she probably would survived the situation, maybe a few bucks lighter, even possibly without her purse being stolen at all.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 01:57 AM

Hence the reason I mentioned balance, or did you not read that? I read about that to. The russian succeded in disarming the guy didn't he? His physical skills were successful, it's his lack of scenario training and RBSD training that caused his death.
I'm sorry but you are dead wrong that physical technique doesn't increase survivability. I've known numerous people, including myself, who came out on top in fights/ self defense situations due to phsycal skills. It's a very important piece of the puzzel but it's only one piece.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 04:49 AM

I have to agree with Mr. Kogas.

There are many variables in a self-defense situation. But regardless of what verbal, tactical, strategic skills you have, when things get physical, you had better know how to fight. And this know-how only comes through LOTS of practice of technique in a physical delivery system - until those techniques are second nature. There are no short cuts for this.

OK - my family and I are off on vacation, and I will not be near a computer for a week. So, debate away in my absence.

Have a good week, everybody, and be safe!

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: ANDY44

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 07:30 AM

HI

I have just been reading through this interesting debate.

If I have read it correctly then.

I can see the points of the physical training put forward by Mr J kogas

I can see the points put forward by Big rod

I think there is a thing as a human with natural prime evil fighting abilities who can adapt to a fight situation without much form of training.
But their physical skills might benefit from some form of skilled fighting training

There are humans with different levels of fighting skills brought about by constant training. But have different degrees of animal instincts.
Being skilled in a sport orientated fighting method doesn’t always give the edge in fact some times it might lose a self defence scenario.
I could go into all kinds of training methods that might lose a self defence scenario but I wont.

The correct physical training combined with the correct mental training ( the animal side of the human ) I think is the answer. I think any way of training both is a good method and I think neglecting either is wrong.

If the shredder system is about the animal side of the human I cant comment. I would have to attend.

Just an observation.
The finger in the mouth scenario isn’t meant to leave the fingers in the mouth it is meant to be like a strike as in cause damage then remove said fingers
So is the eye gauge. Fingers in cause damage fingers out like a strike.
This is the problem with some martial arts. In correct teaching.
This technique goes way back.

Big Rod

Are you refering to the animal /instinct side ??

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 08:07 AM

I'm not saying not to have a physical arsenal. I'm saying to not study anything but how to kickbox, clinch, and ground-grapple doesn't necessarily lead directly to increasead survivability.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 08:49 AM

Circumstances dictate. Circumstances are dynamic and change. Delivery systems remain unchanged and, MUST be in place. There are proper ways of moving, positioning the arms, throwing the right cross, finishing the rear naked choke, etc (just using these as examples only). These "correct" ways are merely determined by the laws of PHYSICS.

We know not to reach away from our bodies on the ground or in the clinch. This is BAD form and is just a part of those delivery systems (actually, keeping the elbows in to the body is a part of all three delivery systems). These are examples of what I'm referring to.

If you don't have a functional delivery system, you're going to still go through this scenario drills (as limited as they are) with "your" own level of skill. Someone who does operate out of functional delivery systems will do the same drills and do them at a MUCH higher level. To say otherwise defies logic, reasoning and the laws of physics.

Kind of hard to create a rational argument when you're in basic violation of those things.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 09:48 AM

I completely agree with a good portion of whats been said here.

I have never said physical skill was not a good thing or that we do not take it seriously.

What I said is that is “an advanced knowledge of any physical technique is often not required as defined above.

What I’m saying is learning physical skills can only serve to enhance your survivability, but they are OFTEN (this is not the word NEVER as some seem to be reading it) not required. Also notice I said ADVANCED, this is not the same as BASIC.
I have already listed several instances where martial arts training was not used. In my 20 years of martial arts training I do not recall learning the correct technique for biting off someone’s tongue.
Quote:

“A rapist was left speechless when his intended victim bit off his tongue as he tried to force it into her mouth.

Nor did any sport training teach me to bit off my attackers lower lip
Quote:

A woman bit off the lower lip of a fugitive man she said attacked her outside her house

On Oprah recently was a story of a women who was abducted abduct by 2 rapists that had previously murdered their victims, while being taken to the second location she covertly dialed her cell phone calling 911, she kept the cell phone in her coat pocket and proceeded to covertly speak to her abductors about where she was and why they were taking her to a specific place, and did they steal this white lexus ect.. to which the 911 operator dispatched the police to find this women. She survived never once even resorted to physical skills in face of a life threatening situation. As a matter of fact it would stand to reason if she had resorted to physical skills and attempted to “Stun and Run” she probably would have died.

Again referencing the Champion Sambo player who’s physical skills were obviously much higher then the attackers he was dealing with, He died… He lost the ultimate battle, the battle for his life to a women who could even consider going 5 seconds with him in the ring and she won and he is dead. It is a sad story.

But we must acknowledge this fact.

I really honestly can appreciate your advanced skill set and I’m sure it has nothing but helped in many situations, however it is not required. I can and have taught people in 2 hours things that give them the power to defeat expert martial artist.

As I said earlier I’d love to expand my training paradigm with your obvious experience but thus far you have only been argumentative and resorting to profanities and name calling, I’d like to learn why your so sure about your assertions however you have given no evidence to support it other then your opinion on what defies logic.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 12:03 PM

JK, if scenario based RBSD training is so worthless or unnecesary, then why to spec ops soldiers, swat cops, FBI operatives, LEOS in general, etc. use scenario based training so extensively?

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 07:06 PM

Quote:

JK, if scenario based RBSD training is so worthless or unnecesary, then why to spec ops soldiers, swat cops, FBI operatives, LEOS in general, etc. use scenario based training so extensively?

Bro, I've had swat guys training with me because they said that what they are usually taught is just enough to get you killed.

Why don't you ask Fletch this question because he IS an LEO?

I'll alert him to this thread....

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 07:40 PM

Well, I think the physical techniquesthey learn are to blame, not the scenario training. Logically that training can only do a person good. You become accustomed to specific street/reality situations, not the one on one, sport arena. But let's get Fletch on this for another opinion.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 08:52 PM

Hi guys.

I have already said everything I want to say about the Shredder so I'll just comment on the Scenario Training issue.

I think it is pretty obvious that there is clearly a limited amount of time that most people have or can allocate for training. That time should be balanced based on what the perceived needs are. The needs vary. Some people "need" primarily fitness, flexibility and fighting skills. Others feel they "need" negotiation, psychology and fear and stess management skills. Both groups can probably benefit with a healthy dose of the other's training in addition to what they think they "need". The question then turns into "how big of a "dose" is enough?".

From my experience, "delivery system" people are more able to pick up functional and usable information from RBSD in a relatively short amount of time than vice versa. They also appear to be more open minded and sceptical as they hold things to an athletically provable standard. This is only my opinion based on my observations, so if you are in the middle ground, don't jump on me as being anti RBSD.

As far as police and military using scenario training extensively? Based on a limited amount of time allocated for training, I think that scenario based training is a rather small percentage of the total training time compared to other performance based skill training. Scenarios are generally used as a way of bringing it all together at the end of an extended period of individual and group skill training. A typical 40-48 hr Basic SWAT Operator school will probably much less than 10% of it's total training time devoted to a scenario block. The rest is event specific, individual and team skill development. It might seem that there is more going into scenario training, but that's just because of the prep work involved.

Some will argue that it is all scenario work. I will disagree based on several years active SWAT and much time invested in RBSD training.

Ultimately, you need both, but in different ratios at different times and based on the circumstances.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 09:04 PM

Fletch is right on.

I think this sums it up.

Quote:

Scenarios are generally used as a way of bringing it all together at the end of an extended period of individual and group skill training.

As I said earlier in response the following question

Quote:

Quote:

I’m not sure if I would use the word backbone, however it is absolutely critical for testing your skill level in an environment as close to reality as possible.

Fletch also mentioned
Quote:

Ultimately, you need both, but in different ratios at different times and based on the circumstances.

And I said
Quote:

We do train regular physical drills as well, it is not all scenario work.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 09:30 PM

Quote:

I have already said everything I want to say about the Shredder

As an aside, with out getting to deep into it, do you think the shredder is effective or ineffective for extreme close quarters applications?
And have you trained the shredder with a Senshido affiliate?

Just out of curiosity you don't need to go into extended detail.

Re: The Shredder - 07/30/06 10:09 PM

I have spoken MY words here.

-John

Re: The Shredder - 07/31/06 12:10 AM

I have not trained with Dimitri or personally experienced the "Shredder". I have trained extensively with Blauer who I count as a major influence on how I teach and train. He has some similar "concepts" to what Dimitri teaches, as I am sure you know.

I don't discount Dimitri's work. What I find troublesome is the people who cling to the systems and terminology and make the tactics into some sort of icon that implies some sort of shortcut to combat proficiency. The same kind of posts that we see everywhere students are trying to "get the word out".

The people who actually train, realize it's silly. However, they allow followers to perpetuate silly arguments over street vs sport, etc. Just my opinion.

Re: The Shredder - 07/31/06 01:02 AM

I see what you’re saying and for the most part agree with you. I do not find myself to be a follower yet more of a researcher. The topic of this thread was the shredder so it would not make sense for me to discuss my experience with Blauer, SBGi,. Ect. ( I have experienced blauers work, SBGi, Geoff Thompson, the list gets quit long. All of which I have respect for.)
Of course there are things I do not agree with in Senshido, CFD, ect. and then there is much I do agree with.

However I do notice that many people affiliated Blauer and/or SBGi have a jaded view of Senshido.

That being said, I find my own personal safety and that of my family to be more important then my personal feelings towards groups, instructors, other peoples past or even their business practices.
I do my own research and I come to my own conclusions, I give anyone a fair chance to change my opinions and it is at those times that I either abandon an idea, philosophy or concept or strengthen it by default. (I have openly offered the opportunity to change my opinions to Jkogas, of which I was being serious, however he has not taken me up on my offer.)

I just think that when discussing the validity of a training paradigm that politics should be the last thing considered. I’d prefer to read opinions, life experience, research studies and evidence to support or challenge the assertions of the topics at hand.

Bitter discussions on industry politics do little to help anyone advance. There is always a time and a place for the truth in everything just not when attempting to analyze and flesh out a training paradigm.

As far as people who actually train? Not sure what that means, every time my group trains we go hard and we bleed, When I design a training program I do so based on pressure testing and not theory, when I speak it comes from experience. Please note I’m assuming you were referring to me in your statement I just wanted to be clear.

Re: The Shredder - 07/31/06 03:19 AM

Not referring to you.

I am sure that you recognize the comments that I am speaking of though.

I have no opinion on Dimitri. He has been totally cool with me on his site. He has some followers however, that are wound a bit too tight. Some of the same people are drawn to Sammy Franco.

I try to play it down the middle. I recognize that there is a need for psychology, fear management, etc. However, I think for most people training should be fun and not over dramatized or burdened with some of the combat fantasy stuff we see too much of in some of the RBSD circles.

Re: The Shredder - 07/31/06 09:23 AM

I completely agree with you and I personally never liked Sammy Franco's rebellious teenage approach. Not ever altercation is a life or death street war.

Re: The Shredder - 07/31/06 02:14 PM

honestly can appreciate your advanced skill set and I’m sure it has nothing but helped in many situations, however it is not required. I can and have taught people in 2 hours things that give them the power to defeat expert martial artist.

Com on,
Big rod that is some statement, it depends on which martial artist. Tai Chi practioner perhaps?

I can in a way see your point but survivel skills are perhaps separate than some fighting skills, the two should be combined. Its two different ball games knocking one wont make a person better in the other.

Advanced physical skills are required.
So are survival skills as you spoke of and knowing when and when not to use what a person has.
Perhaps you teach a high level of survival skills?

As an aside, with out getting to deep into it, do you think the shredder is effective or ineffective for extreme close quarters applications?
And have you trained the shredder with a Senshido affiliate?

Big Rod may i answer that question?

The shredder or the concept from what i can see has been around for years. I think fairburn and sykes described such moves in one of their books?Dont quote me on that one.

problem is its is always up for argument, and hyperthetical scenarios.Im not knocking it just seems to have been around for years. With the same debates.

edited to remove gigantic space in post

Re: The Shredder - 07/31/06 07:19 PM

Quote:

Com on,
Big rod that is some statement, it depends on which martial artist. Tai Chi practioner perhaps?

Exactly the point, obviously it took NO training for a Women to kill a Sambo master in a NYC subway.

It doesn’t matter the level of skill of a person has we all die the same and if your only focus is physical skill you are missing 2/3 of the equation.

Quote:

I can in a way see your point but survivel skills are perhaps separate than some fighting skills, the two should be combined. Its two different ball games knocking one wont make a person better in the other.

I’ve not contested that at all. I think it is important to be proficient in as many area’s of Self defense as possible. However I have given clear and undeniable proof that physical skills are not required. Maybe you haven’t read the entire thread so I will as you the same question I asked earlier, when was the last time you trained 1,000 rep’s of biting someone’s tongue off in class?

Quote:

Advanced physical skills are required.

I have already posted clear evidence of individuals who saved their lives with NO advanced physical skills.

Quote:

Perhaps you teach a high level of survival skills?

I have posted a segment of what I teach earlier in this thread, I know it has gotten quit long so I assume you may have just skimmed through those sections. However I teach PreContact, Contact and Post Contact Skillsets.

Quote:

Big Rod may i answer that question?

The shredder or the concept from what i can see has been around for years.

Yes the components of the shredder have been around for years, that is not contested, when it comes to Hand to Hand combat there is nothing new under the sun. However I don’t see many people teaching it and I surely do not see them teaching it the same way. (Blauers Blender, Franco’s Razing, Thompson’s Blitz., All similar but not the same, Hell I have seen something similar in Pa Qua but still not the same,.)

So I ask you have you trained the shredder with an affiliate or Instructor?

Quote:

and hyperthetical scenarios.Im not knocking it just seems to have been around for years. With the same debates

I’m not sure what this statement is eluding to? I did not claim that I or senshido invented scenario training? I’m just stating I feel it is useful and I use it.

What is your stand on Scenario Training you haven’t been clear?

Re: The Shredder - 08/01/06 08:21 PM

What is your stand on Scenario Training you haven’t been clear?

Ok

It depends on who would be running it and their expereince of survival and combat.

Some people run the same kind of thing in this country only problem is I dont rate their fighting skills or their so called survival skills.
They seem to use the over powering method of a large class with them as the demi gods and the trainees as the sub missives.

Problem is some submissives fight better than the demi gods.

Someone mentioned that on a training session an instructor asked for a punch to be thrown. Once a person asks another to throw a punch and then reacts to it that is easy, good demonstration but an average boxer would see it coming.

Some people attack and telegraph it
some people attack and dont

Knowing when and when not to fight or how to react takes expereince
I suppose scenario training might work given the right instructor but He/she would have to be good.

so perhaps Hope I didint get to heavy

Re: The Shredder - 08/01/06 10:05 PM

why was a tai chi practioner fighting a sambo master on a subway?

Re: The Shredder - 08/02/06 08:18 AM

why was a tai chi practioner fighting a sambo master on a subway?

Errrrm because the tai chi practioner was homeless?
Lived on the subway and didint like it?
So he took a liking to the Sambo wrestlers woman who wasnt homeless?

How would I know ??

What is the anwer?

Its a joke right?

Re: The Shredder - 08/02/06 08:52 AM

Fri May 7, 8:47 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A woman bit off the lower lip of a fugitive man she said attacked her outside her house in the South African town of Tzaneen, police said on Friday. They said the man -- who was already wanted on charges of burglary and rape -- waited outside the woman's house for her to return from an errand and then tried to drag her inside.

"This woman managed to grab the lower lip of the man with her teeth and bit it off," police Captain Moatshe Ngoepe told Reuters. The man was arrested when he sought treatment at a nearby hospital. He is due to appear at magistrates’ court on Friday

Hi Big Rod

I dont quite get your point on this one,

The woman was lucky she survivied after doing what she did.

Exscuse me if i have only skim read your postings but ok this one was with out martial arts training

but, my expereince(expereince not reading it in a news paper or watching it on TV) of this kind of scenario would be of a rapist so far off his head on drugs that biting his tongue off would make him do worse things to the woman.

Thus the need for physical training or even Mr kogas point of further physical training to stop the would be rapist doing further things to the woman once she had done what she had done.

Have you ever encountered such people?
well if you are interested this is how it works

They attack the defender defends,

The attacker when on drugs(depending on the drug they are on) can take so much punishment that the defender is more than likely going to jail if he/she wins,

That is providing he/she has the skills and training to do what they have to do.

so perhaps work that one into the scenario training.

One of the reasons that i think some people put on an earlier thread that in this country people dont contact the police after a self defence scenario.

So what to do in that case?

Re: The Shredder - 08/02/06 09:17 AM

The thing is, to learn the shredder and drill it, you always do alive drilling. You cannot learn the shredder (or anything else for that matter) by training dead patterns with no energy. Thats why, after a few hours of drilling and coaching, a person can apply the shredder so effectively with very little training compared to what it takes to be competent in grappling, boxing, or kickboxing

HI

Yes i would agree on that statement except a shredder isnt always the answer.

It is one technique that might be used given the right circumstances.

Given the wrong circumstances and the shredder attemptee might be sleeping

To base a self defence system on one technique means hope a person is going to be attacked by , skill less, attackers.

Re: The Shredder - 08/02/06 12:17 PM

Quote:

Exscuse me if i have only skim read your postings but

Myself and Others have already very clearly addressed many of your questions earlier in this thread, please read through it and then ask some specific questions so that we can all be on the same page, it would be much easier to discuss your concerns if you were better informed.

Quote:

but, my expereince(expereince not reading it in a news paper or watching it on TV) of this kind of scenario would be of a rapist so far off his head on drugs that biting his tongue off would make him do worse things to the woman.

I will quickly address this issue.
First "The situation ALWAYS dictates your response" there is no cookie cutter answer to any situation, which is why Technique based systems do not work as previously discussed. Also we have been very clear that the shredder is not the “End all, Be all” it is merely a tool it is used in Extreme close quarters ONLY.

Second your assertions are too general and studies show you are incorrect. Specifically dealing with Rape when women fights back they will most likely NOT be raped.

Let me be clear about my training, I have been involved in the martial arts for 20 years, I have stopped trusting the assertions of the many Masters and Guru’s, I have taken the time to attempt to understand Violence as it relates to my culture. When I make statements it is not based on What a Guru told me, Guess work, the last episode of CSI, it is based on research. I do not believe in guarantees, I believe in high probability.
I do not feel I'm the expert either, I'm always looking for someone to prove me wrong with Research, Studies and Personal Experience, but opinions are not enough.
And even after extensive research everything is can completely change. So we have to be skeptical and keep our minds open at the same time.

Can you show me what percentage of women got raped after fighting back?

I can show you..

Look at these studies.

McDermott, Joan (1979); Rape Victimization in twenty-six American cities, New York: U.S. Department of Justice, Law enforcement Assistance Division
- 4/5 rape attempts were not completed when the intended victim attempted to protect herself in some way. Of the women who did not use self-protective measures, 2/3 were raped.

Kleck & Sales (1990); 'Rape and Resistance', Social Problems 37 149-162
- this was a study of the American National Crime Survey data from 1979-1985. They found that victims who resisted the attaché with a weapon, physical force or other methods like screaming of yelling were significantly less likely to have the rape completed that those victims who didn't resist.

Bart & O'Brien (1984) Stopping Rape
- They interviewed 94 women and found that women who had avoided rape were most successful when they attempted to defend themselves using both verbal and physical strategies. Basically, the more strategies a woman used the more likey she was to avoid a rape. They also found that crying/pleading/reasoning (the strategy most often recommended by police) was rarely effective on it's own.

Bart (1981) 'A Study of Women who were both raped and avoided rape'; Journal of Social Issues 37 123-137
Queen's Bench Foundation (1976) Rape: Prevention and Resistance; San Francisco:Queen's Bench Foundation
- They found that women who avoided rape were more likely to have used more kinds of physical and verbal strategies and resisted more forcefully than those who were raped.

Sanders, William (1980); Rape and Women's Identity; Beverly Hills: Sage Publications
- Found that any sort of resistance had some deterrent effect, and that 96.3% of the women who were raped did not resist.

Block & Skogan (1986) 'Resistance and Non-Fatal Outcomes in Stranger-to-Stranger Predatory Crime'; Violence and Victims 1 241-253
- The looked at 347 stranger to stranger attempted and completed rapes and found that resistance of any kind was associated with rape avoidance.

LevineMacCombie & Koss (1986) 'Acquaintance Rape: Effective Avoidance Strategies'; Psychology of Women Quarterly 7 301-312
- In 82 situations of attempted or completed 'date rape', they found that rape avoiders were more likely to have used strategies such as screaming or running away; however, physical resistance didn't differentiate avoiders from rape victims.

Re: The Shredder - 08/02/06 05:09 PM

Hi Big Rod

I didnt say a person being raped should do nothing what i said was

Thus the need for physical training or even Mr kogas point of further physical training to stop the would be rapist doing further things to the woman once she had done what she had done.

In other words the need for further training or more advanced training other than biting off a tongue or a lip etc.

Let me be clear about my training, I have been involved in the martial arts for 20 years, I have stopped trusting the assertions of the many Masters and Guru’s,

I can relate to that, I don’t look to masters or gurus unless they have something I think I need or they can do something better than me . I look to techniques that work and the practioner who can use them in a real fight. Regards survival I look to my own experiences,

Either way good luck with your research,

Re: The Shredder - 08/02/06 06:19 PM

Quote:

I didnt say a person being raped should do nothing what i said was

In other words the need for further training or more advanced training other than biting off a tongue or a lip etc.

I know you didn’t, what I was showing was that with any attempt at self defense you have a chance to survive, my statement is that “Often” times, not all times, advanced training is not required. But there is no need to go over that point again.

Either way good luck with your research,

Thanks.

On another note some people have requested to see a source about the Russian martial artists being murdered in the subway.
Here it is.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D01E1D61339F930A15752C1A9649C8B63

2nd Arrest in Ukrainian Immigrant's Death

Published: November 23, 2002
A second person was charged yesterday in the killing of a Ukrainian immigrant who was shot to death in Brooklyn last month as he tried to protect his wife from two armed robbers, the police said.

The suspect, Naquasia Pollard, 19, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the death of the immigrant, Oleg Bosenko, a 38-year-old former Soviet Army officer, the police said. Mr. Bosenko came to the United States with his wife and daughter about a year and a half ago.

Ms. Pollard, who lives in Coney Island, had one previous arrest for assault, said Capt. Salvatore Maggadino of the Police Department. She turned herself in to police custody yesterday with her lawyer.

Another suspect, Joseph Johnson, was arrested on Nov. 14 and also charged with murder in Mr. Bosenko's death.

Ms. Pollard fired the two shots that killed Mr. Bosenko, Captain Maggadino said. Mr. Bosenko was killed Oct. 30 while walking his wife home on Voorhies Avenue in Sheepshead Bay around 1:30 a.m.

There are 2 other Daily news articles but the system will not let me access them. When it does I will post them.