Best way to avoid a fight!

Posted by: Diabolic

Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/11/06 04:24 PM

Last night me and my buddy were talking about this website. I told him about this forum and how all the posts end up being avoid the fight, or just walk away. What he said made me die laughing. He said the best way to avoidind a fight is "wear nice clothes out." "If you wear nice #$%# out, your not gonna want to mess it up."
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/11/06 07:25 PM

Strangely enough that is one of the reasons certain nightclubs have dress codes.
The trouble is that people don't often think of whether or not they'll mess up their Armani suit after 10 pints of lager.
Posted by: Ukraine

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/11/06 09:57 PM

So true , So true.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/13/06 01:29 PM

The best way to avoid fighting is just don't do it unless a guy/person strikes you, then you have no recourse. But thats only hype, I've taken a strike and just escaped in some situations where more of his friends are coming.

Stand by your conventions don't fight, you can always walk away, unless they force the issue by striking you. Now that I'm older I alway try to avoid fighting if at all possible, excitement ain't that important now days, life Is.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/14/06 10:40 AM

Quote:

The best way to avoid fighting is just don't do it unless a guy/person strikes you, then you have no recourse. But thats only hype, I've taken a strike and just escaped in some situations where more of his friends are coming.

Best way in my book is common sense, avoid at risk areas and behaviors. But I just want to clarify your statement. Are you saying that in a confrontation you would wait for the physical attack before defending yourself and would not consider a preemptive solution?

Pat
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/14/06 03:10 PM

I'm saying that sometimes you have no choice, sometimes theres nothing you can say or do to stop it. So I'm going beyond the pre-empt efforts to de-escalate, you didn't know oterwise why be there like you said. Now I said sometimes most times you can talk your way out or walk away, but sometimes in the case of sucker punch/mistaken identiy or bar/gang fight just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Fists are flying and there is no legitable converstaion just fits of angry. Its fight or flight and they got the door blocked.

Or a guy sucker punches you, theres no time to talk, and when they do they get hit again, if not already floored.

As I mentioned Sometimes, you have to weigh the odds.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/14/06 04:38 PM

Assault: an attack on a person
Fight: Two or more people attacking one another.

Technicaly speaking you can avoid 100% of fights by simply not retaliating.

Of course most people have their limits, but you would be amazed how many people do simply NOTHING when attacked- they freeze, a little like when you see wildebeast brought down by lions, when caught they seem to just 'give up' or freeze and accept their fate. I have seen more looks of confusion on the faces of people being attacked than I have fear or anger. Though they all experience the pain and danger of violence, they have not been in a fight.

Probably a bit pedantic, but will throw it out there anyway.
Posted by: Dalen

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/14/06 06:52 PM

Oddly I agree...but while you haven't been in a fight you still go to the hospital...its just the other guy who walks away unharmed. I have as well seen that many if not most people freeze, and they walk away bloody or get carried out.
Someone mentioned avioding problem areas, dangerous sittuations...etc...it is good advice, but peronally I feel that the basics are simple.
Be aware...of anything and everything around you period...doubly so in bars, or other places where fights are likely.
Notice and acknowledge posible attackers...ie, make eye contact, nod, say hi, etc...what will get you in trouble is confrontational language...you got a problem...and the like.
be menatlly prepared and wholey comited to your survival...be clear and confident in speach and action- no one, or at least no one I have ever seen- has ever attacked someone who is aware of them, has acknowleged their presence and is calm, collected and obviously confident.
Stay aware- just because someone is put off by you doesn't mean they won't come back.
Ak for help- bouncers exist to help you avoid fights...if you are aware, confident etc...and you find yourself faced with a continual problem point them out to the bouncer.
Call for help (more rape deffence realy)- if a problem is noticed and continues...call the police, call a friend, go into a bar that has bouncers...a coffe shop, etc...
Only frequent clubs with bouncere...if you hang out or dance in clubs that do not have security you are almost asking for trouble.

For the self- one great way to keep yourself from starting a fight is to realise that even the worlds biggest idiot can cripple you with a lucky punch. The reality of fighting is that it is a two or more person event and the more punches you throw the more that can be thrown at you.
Sooner or latter if he fights enough even a grand master will get knocked on his hiney.
if you fight when you dont have to, you willl sooner or latter be hurt, you will also look like an idiot, and maybe be arrested.
Peace,
TVD
Posted by: Joss

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/15/06 07:47 AM

Very well said, Dalen.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/15/06 09:46 PM

Never go anywhere, make no friends, do not talk to neighbors and move far away from all family.

This will drastically reduce any chance of being assaulted.

Of course this would be very boring, so second best would be awareness of surroundings, identify potential trouble early and move to avoid/defuse situation.
Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Re: Best way to avoid a fight! - 03/16/06 01:38 AM

Quote:

Oddly I agree...but while you haven't been in a fight you still go to the hospital...its just the other guy who walks away unharmed. I have as well seen that many if not most people freeze, and they walk away bloody or get carried out.
Someone mentioned avioding problem areas, dangerous sittuations...etc...it is good advice, but peronally I feel that the basics are simple.
Be aware...of anything and everything around you period...doubly so in bars, or other places where fights are likely.
Notice and acknowledge posible attackers...ie, make eye contact, nod, say hi, etc...what will get you in trouble is confrontational language...you got a problem...and the like.
be menatlly prepared and wholey comited to your survival...be clear and confident in speach and action- no one, or at least no one I have ever seen- has ever attacked someone who is aware of them, has acknowleged their presence and is calm, collected and obviously confident.
Stay aware- just because someone is put off by you doesn't mean they won't come back.
Ak for help- bouncers exist to help you avoid fights...if you are aware, confident etc...and you find yourself faced with a continual problem point them out to the bouncer.
Call for help (more rape deffence realy)- if a problem is noticed and continues...call the police, call a friend, go into a bar that has bouncers...a coffe shop, etc...
Only frequent clubs with bouncere...if you hang out or dance in clubs that do not have security you are almost asking for trouble.

For the self- one great way to keep yourself from starting a fight is to realise that even the worlds biggest idiot can cripple you with a lucky punch. The reality of fighting is that it is a two or more person event and the more punches you throw the more that can be thrown at you.
Sooner or latter if he fights enough even a grand master will get knocked on his hiney.
if you fight when you dont have to, you willl sooner or latter be hurt, you will also look like an idiot, and maybe be arrested.
Peace,
TVD

i was wonderin why this one guy always started stuff with me when i made eye contact but i didnt say anythin but when i said hey he said hey back and that was it...