When time stops

Posted by: Ed_Morris

When time stops - 02/13/06 12:10 AM

In reading combat recollections, a frequent theme of describing a life or death / do or die moment, is how it felt that time stoped or slowed down.

One of the interesting stories I remember reading was a H2H struggle for a single pistol. In the struggle, the weapon was throw 20 feet away to the side of both men. Instead of continuing the H2H battle, one fighter launched toward the weopon and the other tackled him so hard, it stunned him for enough time for the tackler to gain control of the weopon and fire.

during the moment of both fighter's 1 second hesitation, it was described as timeless.

In that 1 second, the survivor explains, what ran thru his mind was anticipating his opponent's move (which felt like forever). {would he go for the gun...or would he first try to knock me down to gain advantage?}

The split-second choice (in that particular situation) made the difference: go for the gun first vs. go for the enemy first.

what do you think is at work during that time of 'timelessness'...the time right before action: Is it 'mushin' (no thought). Is it gut instinct? Is it warrior spirit? Subconscience survival instinct action/reaction. fear? or fearlessness? or all of the above?

describe what you think is going on 'when time stops'.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 01:26 AM

I think it's,"Subconscience survival instinct action/reaction. fear?" definately. I've been in a situation where there is no time to think and you just do,I think it was survival instinct action.
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 01:56 AM

i think its alil help from GOD.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 07:36 AM

Not that it matters, but the two men fighting were a Japanese Buddhist/Shintoist and a Chinese Daoist. ...so I suppose it could have been their Gods of War 'helping' as you say. Since they have similar results (one survivor, one defeated), we can assume their god didn't help the defeated enough? but then one could imagine why don't the gods themselves just do the battle and leave men out of it. etc..etc...lets not get into that.

If someone does draw fighting spirit from their beliefs (people do- and ironicaly, in history, these differences of beliefs is the reason they were fighting in the first place), do they likely do it right at the critical moment, or do they do that part of preparing themselves prior to battle?

The common theme is: pray/meditate before going into battle; combat; prey/meditate after battle happy to be alive. It seems to always be before and after the critical time.

I think a more primal part of the brain is used, higher function gets a direct pathway to the survivor instinct and the person goes into automatic pilot. time is not perceived and therefore 'seems' like it is standing still.
Posted by: Cord

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 08:24 AM

There is actualy a physiological explanation that has something to do with adrenaline dump affecting the eye to brain interpretation of information and the amount of light processed creating this 'slow motion' effect. I cant remember the exact physiological chain involved, but it is a survival tool inherent to the human body. Sorry to de-mistify it. BuDoc may be able to explain it better than I, I just remember watching a TV show on how we react to extreme situations and they had a big segment on it.
Posted by: harlan

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 09:25 AM

I'm sure we have all heard/read of altered states of consciousness, especially associated with high stress situations. I prefer to skip the mystical and lyrical descriptions of such states (from the past), and view it through a modern biological/psychological lens. I'll bet the LEO crowd has a very developed perspective on this.

http://www.alexisartwohl.com/publications/fbibulletin.html

An old e-budo thread touching on this containing references/terminology that might be useful for searching:

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-12124.html
Posted by: MattJ

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 10:31 AM

Quote:

There is actualy a physiological explanation that has something to do with adrenaline dump affecting the eye to brain interpretation of information and the amount of light processed creating this 'slow motion' effect. I cant remember the exact physiological chain involved, but it is a survival tool inherent to the human body. Sorry to de-mistify it. BuDoc may be able to explain it better than I, I just remember watching a TV show on how we react to extreme situations and they had a big segment on it.

I have seen some similar info.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 01:01 PM

I've got the fancy long for it in a book at home...I'll look it up tonight. If I remember correctly its due to the brain being sent into a supercharged state. The field of vision is narrowed or "tunneled" which cuts down on the amount of visual input being processed by the brain. Its the same with the auditory exclusion that you'll also get. You become hyper focussed on the present danger. Due to the decreased sensory input, means that the brain is able to process the reduced amount of input alot quicker. Probably not the most technical explanation, but I dig through my neurology books tonight.....atleast get the right term!
Posted by: Neko456

Re: When time stops - 02/13/06 01:19 PM

I believe that it is a state of Mushin(no thought) processing and is explained by the Superchaging of the mind, no fear/fighting spirit and body. I don't included fears of being hurt because, that requires thought process and this slows down reactions time, not the same as fear of the encounter which is a natural responce. In these situations you feel an outer body sensation almost as if you stepped out of your body and see the incident in slow motion, his/their efforts and yours almost blend. And with no slack in your responce you repell/counter them seemly without effort. Sound seems to be blocked out only the movement of the encounter is logged. Then in a blink and you hear and see, everything around you back in normal speed.

I believe its form of each the no mind a natural phonomenal explained by modern sceince.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: When time stops - 02/14/06 12:11 AM

New article on the front page, semi-related.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=504
Posted by: Neko456

Re: When time stops - 02/14/06 12:44 PM

Thats deep sometimes the sciencticfic approach takes all the wonderment and specailness out of it. Thats probably what happens but its definitely the difference in Sex and Child Birth, been eye witness to both, I like sex better.

Just like I like mushin rather then the real facts of why and how explaination. Kinda like the 1st time you heard there really is no Santa Claus, darn.

Thanks, I think this is a issue of TMI (Too much Information). I have a group of students that are PHDs, I drink with sometimes, I'm lost in half of their conversations and ideas, Blackholes why they exist. Bc they do,my answer duhh.

Very deep, I guess you can tell I'm not into Phsyco-analazying the deep cervice of the mind.