Stopping Haymakers

Posted by: bo-ken

Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 01:58 AM

This is not a question I just want to know how you stop haymakers. Let me start by explaining how I defend against them. I like to step in close to my opponent and use an open hand block. I keep my block very close to my head and aim to block near the elbow. I follow with an upward palm strike with my other hand at almost the same time as the block. I try and make the defense as easy and quick as possible. Alright now that you know how I like to block haymakers how do you do it?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 02:17 AM

Quote:

This is not a question

What?

Generally,when practicing against cowboy punches I use the double knifehand to points on the arm followed by a knifehand to the neck.
Posted by: ChangLab

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 02:02 PM

I use a 720degree tornado kick to the inside wrist bone, shattering same and disabillating the opponent.

oh, wrong thread....
there are many defenses to what we call a street punch, one that we do is duck by dropping into a low "horse" stance stepping foreward and into the side which the punch is thrown.(a diagonal line to the punching side)
then raise my hand to hold the striking arm between the shoulder and elbow and explore the possabilities that are now open to me.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 02:09 PM

there is no one sure way to stop any blow. When and if someone throws a "haymaker" my way, my body will defend in the correct way. I never get set on one technique because this is not practical.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 02:48 PM

Quote by ChangLab -

Quote:

I use a 720degree tornado kick to the inside wrist bone, shattering same and disabillating the opponent.

LMAO

KIDS READ THIS:

He was joking!!!!!! Don't do that!!!!
Posted by: schanne

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 02:49 PM

Will go over stopping/redirecting a "haymakers" during the self defense part of the get together. Have some nice techniques that end up in arm, wrist, shoulder locks and throws.....see you February 26th!
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 03:26 PM

Quote:

... I just want to know how you stop haymakers.

By not getting into fights...

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 03:33 PM

Just to let you know I am not going to be there I addressed this already. Sorry Schanne but I have a lot of things to do in Feb. I just found out last week the I will have to teach more class in Feb. because my instructor will be away.

On another note good posts everyone. I am glad to see that everyone is giving me good insight.
Posted by: konooburu

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 03:33 PM

Just step off at a 45 Degree angle And Uka Or Block the punch with ur knuckles, Or even Use Shutos Or Just stright Kick him into His stomach Before It reaches,. Haymakers are kinda slow,Cause of all the energy and power It takes, But allways Step off At 45 Degree angles When you block, It limits The chance Of you getting hit,
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 04:20 PM

If we're using the same definition of Haymaker... (A wildly swung punch with a huge wind up that you can see coming from miles away)

Simply step out of the way. As the attacker is caught in the riptide of his own momentum, you then employ your Nike-do technique.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 08:46 PM

Cover and clinch. Double neck tie (plumm). Knees to groin.

Eliminates having to "trade" with someone throwing wildly as most haymakers are.

-John
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 09:44 PM

O.K. sounds like fun. I just dont like saying "if a guy throws this i wiil do that" because it hardly ever goes that way. Having some defence ready wont hurt though.
Posted by: DullBlade42

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 09:55 PM

There are plenty of valid ways to stop haymakers. Don't be there. Hey, you didn't get hit? Checks off in my book. But now you must finish the job and make sure he can't try to hurt you again.

It would take a while to list all of the ways I can think of to stop a haymaker. Reaction time plays a variable...

You never really fail a technique. If you get hit with the punch, you don't fail. If you miss your chance to escape a hold, you'll just have to work harder. Failure has really weakened in my vocabulary. I now go by terms of feedback...
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 01/31/06 10:32 PM

Most haymakers are swung on a wide arc. You can see those coming a mile away, so just do some basic karate and head block with a counter punch. Once that happens two or three times the attacker will lose a bit of spirit.

If he's a flailing kind of haymaker guy, make sure to tickle his spine with your toes...through his stomach =)
Posted by: schanne

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 11:11 AM

I think we can all agree that "John Wayne" could be charaterized as the king of haymakers.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 11:53 AM

contrary to popular beliefs... haymakers are not as "slow" as most people tend to believe.

case in point... 2 obviously untrained brawlers:

http://www.wimp.com/dudes/
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 12:26 PM

I like to step inside with a downward or upward striking elbow as I ducking under the arm he's throwing r slide inside. It looks like U weaved under it, but U smashes his face, then upperward head butt or grion strike (pending where he's at), shoulder butt & pull both legs out from under him.

If I only get the elbow strike in solid, I'm good, he's hurt bad. Stepping in nullifies the power of the haymaker, and the elbow is unexpected & too swift for him to counter most times.
Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 02:33 PM

Quote:

contrary to popular beliefs... haymakers are not as "slow" as most people tend to believe.

case in point... 2 obviously untrained brawlers:
http://www.wimp.com/dudes/

i dont know about you but after training in martial arts your reaction time gets so much greater that when i sparr i dont think im going fast and they say whoa you guys were flying so i think i should be able to block a haymaker if its swung at me..
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 07:35 PM

Quote:

i think i should be able to block a haymaker if its swung at me..

Famous last word, right before ya' hit the floor
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 09:05 PM

Quote:

i dont know about you but after training in martial arts your reaction time gets so much greater that when i sparr i dont think im going fast and they say whoa you guys were flying so i think i should be able to block a haymaker if its swung at me..

Here's the scoop. Sparring in the dojo/dojang etc. is in a controlled environment. 1) you know you two are fighting, 2) there are rules.

In real life there are many variables. Sometimes a person who wants to fight you does the normal cultural fight ritual, postures chest to chest, arms hanging down by the side in a clenched fist, mouthing off... etc. Maybe, big maybe you will be able to see it comming based off of his body language and telegraph.

But other times they will use pattern interrupts like ask you a question, "got a smoke" or "what time is it?" Then BAM as your brain is processing the information you get nailed.

There's others of course that I could discuss. I mean take a look at the video I posted. Prior to throwing a haymaker the skinny guy actually grabbed the guys hands down for a split second. The large guy dealing with the grab gets nailed in the skull with the shot.

Are haymakers effective? Most of the time
Are haymakers efficient? Not really
Are haymakers telegraphed? most of the time
Are haymakers slow? Not really

That is just my take on it.
Posted by: pathfinder7195

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 09:11 PM

I use your method quite often. After the block/parry I grab the back of the shoulder to pull them in for a clinch to knee. Other times I slip under the punch and throw a straight right to the solar plexus.

Kevin
Posted by: RockHard Huy

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/01/06 11:31 PM

I would love to say that I could pull off consecutive/well timed blocks, but I can't. Yes, I can maybe stop the first or second, then things just get out of hand. Remember, you are doing about 3 times the work, all the opponent has to do is close his eyes and wail.

So honestly, guard up your head and try to put yourself out of distance(front push/snap kicks or maybe jabbing palm). This is assuming you are not the crazy aggressor.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 01:52 AM

This is good a lot of neat stuff here. It seems that most of you understand where I was coming from. I just wanted to know your thoughts on defending against a haymaker. Also glad to see that nobody said "block it" without explaining.
Posted by: Paulol

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 03:18 AM

I see some folk talking about blocking and some about covering up! All valid points!

But if you don't stop the person from throwing the next haymaker and the next one and the next one, your just being there punch bag!!

So look to develop entry techniques from the haymaker punch! It's not sparring so you have all the ranges of combat available. Move in for elbows and knees then even get a throw in and take them off their base!
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 01:08 PM

i'd step up in close with an elbow/reverse punch to the face and a forearm/knifehand block to the haymaker. if i really don't like the person it would be a knee to the groin as well and laugh at his pain. step back, bow to your partner, and move onto the next kihon waza

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 01:21 PM

I think all the replies are valid we seem to agree that stepping back (unless you kicking or running) to try to continually block the haymaker is not sound busy, thats where all the power is. One might get in and it can be a powerful strike (I hate to call it a technique) and that could mess up a face.

Personally I don't spend much time blocking/defensive, in real fights unless, I'm startled. In most encounters my 1st instinct is to slide in or around the attacker using counter/offensive tactics. Inside on a Haymaker you can strike numerous times during its execution, when he can't.
The slide in head butt to smashing elbows, to knee comes to mind. IF you slide up under the swing, you are in a very prime position, to end things before his swing ends.

I've seen some people just blow them away with kicks! No block just power kick. And of course the hip toss or shoulder throw he falling right into that. Personally I wouldn't try any wrist or arm locks until he's staggered or on the ground.

The haymaker on a skilled fighter is not a high odds swing, but I'd wagger its won as many battles as its lost, against untrained and trained!

Note what was mentioned how would it change your technique if he grabbed/checked a hand first then swung!!!
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 01:50 PM

thinking about what you said about hip tosses someone throwing a haymaker against a proficient judoka is asking to be thrown,, if you think about where you put your hands in judo (on the arm and chest).

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 02:15 PM

I just re read your post we just said the same thing, the Haymakers open for a hip throw. But you don't have to be a Judo man just know how to hip throw.

You are right he's almost falling right into the throw!
Posted by: Subedei

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 03:41 PM

Chest? Tiger's mouth to the throat

A haymaker just isn't a good idea, it's not even very powerful comparatively.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 04:19 PM

Thats a good technique kinda hard to keep punching if you can't breath.

I try not to pre-determine how well he can throw this swing straight armed caught inside the foream it might seem kinda weak, pending whose swinging. A little bend at the elbow and the right torque I've seem it do lots of damage. Even beat through a guard/cover lifting a leg on each side that he took the pounding on!!

Its not extreme fast, nor efficient it must have something going for it, they keep using them.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 06:50 PM

It's easier and instictive. A hook or stepping cross is still vastly better IMO.
Posted by: Leapordsknowbest

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 07:56 PM

Something tells me I'll feel stupid but what actully is a haymaker. Is it like an uppercut or somethin.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 09:17 PM

Quote:

Here's the scoop. Sparring in the dojo/dojang etc. is in a controlled environment. 1) you know you two are fighting, 2) there are rules.

In real life there are many variables. Sometimes a person who wants to fight you does the normal cultural fight ritual, postures chest to chest, arms hanging down by the side in a clenched fist, mouthing off... etc. Maybe, big maybe you will be able to see it comming based off of his body language and telegraph.

But other times they will use pattern interrupts like ask you a question, "got a smoke" or "what time is it?" Then BAM as your brain is processing the information you get nailed.

There's others of course that I could discuss. I mean take a look at the video I posted. Prior to throwing a haymaker the skinny guy actually grabbed the guys hands down for a split second. The large guy dealing with the grab gets nailed in the skull with the shot.

Are haymakers effective? Most of the time
Are haymakers efficient? Not really
Are haymakers telegraphed? most of the time
Are haymakers slow? Not really

That is just my take on it.

omg i fight on the street i know first hand i used to block them before martial arts... i always fought straight fist because my uncle tight me that way block the huge swing and punch em out its simple

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 09:22 PM

i think getting in there distance is a good idea or kicking out there knees if u r fast i think really if they throw on block it step in and give 'er if u get my meaning.
elbows knees keep it simply no flashy stuff.
if its a really serious matter break there knee really do it break it they will fall down and give if there is more then on break there knees it will work they will think your ganna punch back or if u kick u will to mid section but then there knee is broke and its is mighty difficult to catch a kick to the knee unlees your a gorilla of course

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/02/06 11:08 PM

Your uncle done tight you well!

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 12:14 AM

yes i guess he did he has alot of street exsperince(he is uncle by marriegd)so he did not grow up in a nice neighborhood and he was small so he started working out at 11 and he did karate but he never got higher belts due to the exspense its so sad but he is like my idol now even though i stand a foot taller than him!
Posted by: fattts14

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 11:59 AM

Haymaker - I guess can best be described as a "hail Mary punch". Basically throwing all your strength and force into a one punch hopefully knockout strike.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 12:07 PM

A few points to look at a haymaker punch.

Most times they are throw will so much commitment that the attacker only has that one attack. He cannot combo! Meaning his other hand is out of the situation. Haymakers are thrown with so much velocity that if they miss, the attacker will sometimes throw himself to the ground. So this get to some SD application on the circular motions of the attack.

First way of handling a "haymaker" is to simply stop the hit on the draw back breaking the energy before it is released. This can happen by closing in on the attackers shoulder using various techniques along with a strike to the attackers face (or vitals we love vitals lol) to disorientate him or stopping him. I like to use a block and cover its similar to the "wing chun" block where the are is hooked alittle and the other hand is covering my face. Then I will cup the punching arm at the shoulder and hook my other hand around the behind my opponents neck. With a hard torque and small circular motion with my feet. I use the momentum to drive my oppenent's head into the ground. I can go into a great arm bar after his head is slammed.

Secondly, is to accept my opponent's energy and go the motion of his attack. This means I let him over commit and I go off of his motion using a form of an shuto block because I can strike wrist points as I parry this haymaker. Same time I will ridge hand the opposite side of my attacker neck then cupping the back of his neck with the same hand that did the ridge. Still flowing our circular path I make a quick short circular motion with my stance and drive his head into the ground again.

Thats just a few things to think about. Its either stop it before he releases it or accept it using his momentum against him.

Bad things to do:

*Don't step straight back you do not want to be on the end of a haymaker because they are like swinging a mace around and slamming it into something. You will die!

*I heard some people say through snapping kicks to back a guy off of you. Only thing is snapping kicks have no driving force. They work on the principles of a whip if you think about. From the snapping force it produces power in a quick short burst. If you would have said "thrusting kick" than I would understand.

There are plenty of ways to defend agains the infamous "haymaker". They are so fun to practice at full power and speed so have fun with it.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 01:22 PM

A haymaker is usually a semi circle swing, it looks like a long wind up hook punch, sometimes the elbow straight sometimes it slightly bent. It has no define path it can loop up or down, unlike a clean tight hook punch.

I've seen it done holding a guys arm or lapel or in combo from both sides wailing, it can be used like a wide upper cutting if the defender holding his hand high to cover his face.

Usually its slow but powerful and battering its seems to have accumalative effect or it can be a 1 swing KO.

Sometimes trying to step back & slap it pass like u can on a good tight hook, you can get caught bc its throws your timing off and its so wide and wild.

I try not to predict, if it can be thrown in combo, and to what effect a person can and can't do with it, and concentrate on what I can do.

Though its thrown with a long wind up, slapping and wide its affective bc it works sometimes. Like a fire you got to stop it before it catches, else you can get burnt up!

I've seen some very effective ponding by people throwing haymakers, pounded from both sides into kneeling covered bend over position, people knocked clean out or clean off their feet.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 01:39 PM

*I heard some people say through snapping kicks to back a guy off of you. Only thing is snapping kicks have no driving force. They work on the principles of a whip if you think about. From the snapping force it produces power in a quick short burst. If you would have said "thrusting kick" than I would understand

It depends on what you are trying to do a snap kick, pauses in pain the person bend him or break him. If you want something other then thrusting them backwards. Kinda like playing position when shooting billards/pool.

If you want to finish with a hand/elbow combination or knee/kick in close a snap kicks works well. Alot of times you don't need as much foot work to use your snap kick as you do for your thrust, snap kicks aimed at the knee or shins do wonders, in close. Nothing worse then chasing/missing a guy's chin with a follow up, bc u thrusted instead of snap kicked.

No argument that a thrust kick is more powerful, but if you just need the knee to bend in a weird angle or kick his grion or his bent over face a snap kick will work!!
Posted by: andy4

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 06:35 PM

Hi.

There are a lot of variables and I think it depends on the situation.

Has the attacker grabbed the attacked? If so where?

In the case of just a haymaker, and as one option, I might use a double knife hand/forearm block to the attackers punching arm.
At the same time a leg position to block any intended groin kick.
Followed by a knife hand to neck, and perhaps a groin kick, depending on the reaction/action of the attacker.

If ever I use this block I do it in a way that my chin/part of my face ends up behind my leading arm/shoulder to stop a potential head butt or opposite hand punch/strike.

The haymaker might be a faint

I think the scenario(s) need to be worked out and then practiced in the dojo.

Also be aware of the talker who first talks then turns to walk away and then strikes.
Posted by: Leapordsknowbest

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/03/06 10:19 PM

Humm. i see. Its the kind of strikes untrain ppl do. About the combo. thing i decieded to try in in sparing at my school. Its way too slow and throws you off balance. Makes easy for shoulder throws.

Re: Stopping Haymakers - 02/09/06 05:16 PM

Yes its a wild wide swing and rather then wraping around the waist, I'd suggest to wrap the head and throw he will be leading with his shoulder. He will fall right into the throw I like making the wrap a shuto or forearm to the neck the wrap to throw always good to have them stunned before you throw them. Hands already there might as well do some damage.

On a skilled person a haymaker might as well be a front bearhug slim chance that it will get there if they see it coming.

But initally when practiced in the dojo it will throw some people off because its so wild and wide if some people try to block it like a regular punch. Do the double arm assault and it can get you caught up, if just try to block it by just stepping back blocking.