How do you control fear during a fight?

Posted by: deathrune

How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/25/06 06:42 AM

I've got a problem, no matter how big or small my opponent normally is I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning. How do you cancel out this fear before/during a fight? It really affect my ability to think calmly and rationally. Thanks.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/25/06 09:07 AM

You've certainly got a problem if you regularly get into fights.
Posted by: deathrune

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/25/06 10:30 AM

Nah, happens sometimes. I just wanna be prepared for it. ;\
Posted by: JoelM

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/25/06 11:03 AM

There is always a chance of losing, no matter who is fighting. Don't fear losing, accept it as a possibility and do all you can to prevent that posibility from happening. All you can do is your best.

I've only been in one fight in my life(8th grade, boy scout camp), so all I'm really giving is ideas.

But I do know one thing, you can't lose a fight if you don't get into one.
Posted by: Cord

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/25/06 11:33 AM

Quote:

I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning.

Avoid attacking people. Bad life choice.

If you are attacked, then the worst has already happened- you have been struck/hurt so you may as well get busy running/defending yourself. Adrenaline will cancel out sentient fear very quickly in these situations. Just get on with it.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/26/06 01:21 PM

Quote:

Nah, happens sometimes. I just wanna be prepared for it. ;\

In that case, fear is natural. You should accept that it's going to happen. Fear is a defensive mechanism and a big part of the "fight or flight" instinct. If you aren't afraid, there is probably something wrong. Fear keeps you on edge and concentrated, it will probably help you survive, rather than hindering you. If you feel like you are afraid and should run like heck because you're outnumbered or because your opponent looks menacing, your gut feeling is probably right.
Posted by: Alex89

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/26/06 07:49 PM

I use to have that problem when looking at guys who were bigger and stronger than me, or shorter and stronger than me. But I came to realize that they are human, right, so they also feel pain. It doesn't matter how big they are. Always keep in mind that they are also scared of you.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/27/06 06:44 AM

Consider this:
F alse
E xpectations
A ppearing
R eal
Posted by: Kosh

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/27/06 06:33 PM

Doesn`t experience reduce the fear somewhat?

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/27/06 08:23 PM

Not necessarily. Fear can be triggered by any number of things at anytime. Emotions, physiology, physical or mental stimulus can all trigger a "fright" response. If I zap you a few times with a taser, I can trigger a Pavlovian response by associating the taser with pain. Very soon you will reach the stage where the fear response can be triggered by simply seeing a taser.

Just because you have some experience (broadly speaking), doesn't necessarily mean you can deal with the fear response or control it. Why do the wise old teachers admonish you to control your breathing? Breathing controls the physiological responses that can affect your mental, emotional, and physical state. More importantly, it regulates the amount of adrenaline that is being dumped into your system.

Try this little experiment:
Imagine yourself in a threatening situation, say, someone with a knife at your throat. Or even better, get a friend to do this with you. Get your friend to act threateningly, like he's really going to slit your throat. The more realistic your friend is, the more intense the exercise. Now, intensify and quicken your breathing. Breathe hard and quick. Think to yourself, you are going to die. See yourself lying on the floor, bleeding to death. What does death feel like? Now "feel" the following emotions: scared, can't breathe, lifeless, no strength, can't fight, resignation. Notice what happens to your body - Does it start trembling? Does your breath start to shorten and soon you feel you can't breathe? Does it feel like parts of your body won't cooperate?

That's fear. You've just tricked your mind, body and emotional state into believing that you're going to die.

Now if you understand what triggers your fear, you can go about eliminating the emotional, mental, physical and physiological "ghosts" that trigger the state of fear.
Posted by: h2whoa

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/27/06 10:00 PM

Quote:

I've got a problem, no matter how big or small my opponent normally is I always fear that I may get badly beaten up or if I even attempted to attack him he would retaliate and it would end up in him winning. How do you cancel out this fear before/during a fight? It really affect my ability to think calmly and rationally. Thanks.

In most fights..both combatants get hurt...embrace that if you engage you will get hit...body conditioning comes in here...training...proper mindset...battles or fights are not about winning or loosing...it is about survival, just breathe and try to survive...first opportunity run!

But the easiest way to not fear when you get into fights...is to not get into fights!
*bows respectfully*
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/28/06 09:08 AM

Check out the signature

Also I posted a response here to a similar subject: http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15818910/an/0/page/0#15818910

Have a read.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/29/06 12:31 PM

Fear isnt a bad thing. All of us experience fear at least once if not all the time like yourself when faced with confrontation. However, this can be used to your advantage, by using it to control your adrenal dump. One way to do this, is to think of a previous fight you may have had. One that was a battle. One that you were afraid to fight but still came out victorious. Now think about that fight. Think about every detail until the image is so vivid that you could smell your opponents sweat and breathe. You will feel the onset of an incredible energy. Its your adrenaline and animal instinct. Use it. It will serve you well.
Posted by: RockHard Huy

How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/30/06 11:56 PM

Fear has no room within the context of fighting. It is to be left within the portal binding peace and immanent violence, revealing a clear mind, free of emotional obstructions.
The fear that I experience during fights is very different from that apparent in everyday life. It takes the form a friend rather than that of a crippling enemy... IMO

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/31/06 06:15 AM

Quote:

Fear isnt a bad thing. All of us experience fear at least once if not all the time like yourself when faced with confrontation. However, this can be used to your advantage, by using it to control your adrenal dump. One way to do this, is to think of a previous fight you may have had. One that was a battle. One that you were afraid to fight but still came out victorious. Now think about that fight. Think about every detail until the image is so vivid that you could smell your opponents sweat and breathe. You will feel the onset of an incredible energy. Its your adrenaline and animal instinct. Use it. It will serve you well.

I should rephrase my earlier post... it's not fear that's the whole problem. The real problem is the stress induced by fear. When you are under stress, your body doesn't tend to perform as well. Not only do you have to deal with the adrenal dump, but other side effects, such as tunnel vision, loss of fine motor control skills, lack of depth perception, etc. etc.

Controlling the adrenal dump is important. Using your breathing pace to regulate the amount of adrenaline in your system, so as to consequently reduce the level of stress on your system, is really the key. Adrenaline is good for short bursts of strength, the downside of too much, is that you fatigue faster, due to increased heart rate and respiratory distress.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/31/06 08:54 AM

Quote:

Fear has no room within the context of fighting. It is to be left within the portal binding peace and immanent violence, revealing a clear mind, free of emotional obstructions.

Sorry? Truly spoken by someone who has never been in a real physical confrontation. Go watch some more samurai movies manga man.

Quote:

The fear that I experience during fights is very different from that apparent in everyday life.

So you spend a lot of time finding fear in everyday mundane situations? Thats called paranoia, or phobia, or both.

Fear is fear, you either learn coping mechanisms through familiarity through exposure to it and work through it, or you freeze up and get overwhelmed by the adrenaline surge, but the emotional trigger- the 'fear' does not change in its qualities of effect.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/31/06 05:12 PM

Quote:

Sorry? Truly spoken by someone who has never been in a real physical confrontation. Go watch some more samurai movies manga man.

Unbased assumptions, zzz. I'll let you continue your fantasies.

Quote:

Fear is fear, you either learn coping mechanisms through familiarity through exposure to it and work through it,

The meaning of the word changes with its context. By the fear felt everyday, I was referring to the long, drawn out fear when encountering the things such as the unknown(What will I do with my life?). Its less mundane counterpart, that found in violence (in my experience) occurs instantaneously and in turn forces an immediate response from yourself, hence it being a friend. What you choose to do in that instant is defined by your training.
I have been in confrontations without evoking fear within myself, and have found it bad. In general, without fear, I am too calm and calculating, over analyzing situations, and ultimately failing to act.

The first half of my previous post was ment more as a personal ideal; the second, my reality.

p.s. I am being a presumptuous jerk
Posted by: DullBlade42

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/31/06 06:29 PM

Breathing helps. Having no mind. Total control of yourself first, then you can control the opponent. Practice breathing every night helps a lot.

Well, if it accounts for anything, you're going to have a lot more fear in you the first time you bungee jump then your 40th time. The unknown tends to cause fear. Stress. Distraction. Division.

It's important to be where you are. Don't think about what's going to happen. Just do. Diffuse the - "problem" is a bit too negative - ... diffuse the disturbance. The temporary, unwanted situation. That's all it is.

Be sure to train the mental and emotional part of fights as well as physical. The way I see it is if focus/control isn't there, your physical abilities aren't as sharp as wanted or needed.

A strong block isn't in hand with thoughts of family problems, money issues, and work.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/01/06 12:40 AM

Quote:

Having no mind.

I'll vouch for Cord on this one.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/01/06 02:23 AM

Thanks Brian, erm I think.

Look guys, this zen master stuff all sounds brilliant, it realy does, and i am sure that for a miniscule amount of people it works like a charm. For the vast majority in an unfortunate enough situation to be faced with actual physical violence, getting in calm mental place where the world is full of bullet time counters and redirections as you make your aggressor dance like a puppet on a string just doesnt happen, no matter how much breathing you do.
You either get stuck in or get laid out.Period. The key to this is to get familiar with working through adrenaline, not being stunned by it. There is nothing esoteric about this, it just comes with practice and painfull experience.
If in the blurr of action you manage to keep your guard up, your chin down, and maintain a bit of balance, you will stand a much better chance of walking away with your pride and dashing good looks in tact

Rockhardhuy, despite Brian's marvellous edit, I feel compelled to answer your post. My presumption was only ever equal to your pretention. I worked the door for 10 years, and call things as I see them. If you want to serve up a plate of dog crap thats fine, just dont expect me to tell everyone its chocolate pudding.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/01/06 11:18 PM

lol, nice edit. Yeah Cord, we are all well aware of you B.A. status.

Anyways.. everything in my post was just supported by your post.:

Quote:

full of bullet time counters and redirections as you make your aggressor dance like a puppet on a string just doesnt happen,

Remember, I did state that it was JUST an ideal, not actuallity.

Quote:

key to this is to get familiar with working through adrenaline, not being stunned by it

React how you've trained, that's why you do it(that is if you train with your gaurd up, etc.).

So yeah.. A lot of fights in real life happen over a misunderstandings too( as I am sure you are aware of).

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/02/06 08:52 AM

Quote:

lol, nice edit. Yeah Cord, we are all well aware of you B.A. status.

I have never worked for British Airways, and hold no rank or status within the company- sorry, cant slip you a few free airmiles, you've been misinformed.

Quote:

Anyways.. everything in my post was just supported by your post.:

Quote:

full of bullet time counters and redirections as you make your aggressor dance like a puppet on a string just doesnt happen,

Remember, I did state that it was JUST an ideal, not actuallity.

You stated this as fact in your first post. You presented it as an absolute. It wasnt until you were pulled up on it that you backtracked and either clarified, or changed, your meaning.

Quote:

Quote:

key to this is to get familiar with working through adrenaline, not being stunned by it

React how you've trained, that's why you do it(that is if you train with your gaurd up, etc.)

Again, this is post-disagreement. Your initial response deals with an instinctive philosophical interpretation of the nature of the fear the situation represents. This simply doesnt happen. The 'daily fear' of which you expound upon is in fact defined medicaly as stress. The reason that long term stress is detrimental to health is because the brain and body do not differentiate between long term worry and immediate danger- they both trigger fight or flight, but in stress it is triggered long term, hence increase in blood pressure, heart rate, difficulty sleeping, emotional swings etc. Running on heightened 'survival' physiology for long periods with no respite is what damages the body in this situation. Fear is Fear.

Quote:

So yeah.. A lot of fights in real life happen over a misunderstandings too( as I am sure you are aware of).

Again, your meaning is unclear in this. Are you saying that ours is a simple misunderstanding and that you wish to leave it and return to a more agreeable dialogue, or are you inferring that had this conversation had taken place face to face, that escalation would have occurred?

Hope its the former, as the latter would make you sound very silly.

Cord.
Posted by: DeathComesRippin

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/02/06 12:27 PM

I don't think the whole Zen no-mind theory should be reduced to some silly mystical matrix like idea. It just seems like it because ancient masters of the east liked to attach alot of esoteric meaning to something very practical and real. Not everyone is going to be a Bruce Lee or a Neo, but the stress that occurs in a confronation can be so strong that anything you do to help control it is going to help tons. The focus and disclipine you experience in meditation, if you work on it, can translate into all aspects of your life, even combat. If you are in a confrontation and are focused, then your oppenent attacks, and your body reacts on its own, that is having no mind in martial arts. Sure you can meditate and all that, but alot of it just comes from constant training and sparring. In my experience, regulating the breath helps alot, both long term and short term. It reduces alot of stress. Also, it helps to be confident that you will hurt your opponent no matter what, because you have trained to do so. But people experience fear on different levels and you never know when you are going to be in the most dangerious situation of your life, so the best bet is to just keep training till your techniques become instinct, and you do everything automatically. I hope this helps the original poster, and sorry if i seemed long winded.
Posted by: pj_br549

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/02/06 01:11 PM

Well this idea of "no-mind" is actually right. When a situation happens you react as to how you train.. Hence Train like you fight, fight like you train. Now im in the military and when the S*** hits the fan you fall right back on that training,, you not thinking about am i going to get hurt, or die,, its running down that list in your head of what your job is. Also, if you have enough time to think about getting hurt in fight, you probably have enough time to back out of the fight. If there is one thing i can say, egos are expensive, better to leave them at home.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/02/06 01:29 PM

Quote:

Train like you fight, fight like you train.

Well put..:) Enough said...
Posted by: Eveal

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/03/06 12:37 PM

Try to relax. Its easier said than done, I know. Once the fight takes place and you get to comfortable ground the butterflys go out the door and adrenalin takes over. Thats when you don't have enough time to fear only time to react. When in a real fight, do as you were trained. Don't try to change it because the eviornment has changed. Its still just a man standing in front of you "untrained" most of the time so you clearly have an advantage.
Posted by: LiLJb72

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/23/06 11:00 AM

Well, having read most of this and having been in a few fights, as well as jumped out of a few planes i will use this analogy:
When you jump out of a plane for the first time, its windy, its high, its scary, you doubt yourself, your whole body shakes...then you jump and you go through with it and land and are ok (hopefully, army chutes suck)...but then you go back up and do it again....now everytime I've jumped out of a plane (23 to be exact) i still get nervous and scared, cuz this could be the time my chute doesnt open, but it gets easier to do because you know what is coming.

Fighting is the same way...no matter how many times you fight, before it starts you are going to get nervous and scared that you might get seriously hurt, and thats natural you couldn't help that if you tried or had been in a million fights, but once it starts your experience and such will help you in what you know you need to do and what they will more than likely do, and that will help put your mind at ease a little bit....just IMO...

(i compared these two cuz they are the most alike adrenaline wise that i have encountered)
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/24/06 02:23 AM

Well I've actually had a knife to my throat, I gave up my stuff right away and felt unphased. Then it settled in when I got home and cried for an hour(was 13, but I'm pretty sure if it happened for the first time now, I'd still cry).

The feeling sucks, and I think its much different than when you're in a fight. I just try to make myself feel as if I'm in a sparring match, and like the incident before, what happens doesn't settle in until much later, when you replay the incident 100 times in your head. I actually like the uneasiness, since the nervousness seems to be a painkiller(first time playing paintball, didn't feel a thing until i saw my purple tan).

P.S. What happens, happens. This is what I'm basically thinking 24/7 and it helps out alot. Sry if the post is rather unorganized and sloppy.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/24/06 10:19 AM

You have a fear of drowning only if you can't swim.

Fear of failing an exam. only if you have not studied well.

Fear of losing in a fight only if you have not trained well.

Look at the professional fighters. They may lose the fight, but they have no fear of getting into the ring, because they know they have trained well for it.
Posted by: Trejo539

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/01/06 12:02 PM

ok........you know how to scare your self using imagination, but how can you use imagination to remain calm in a streetfight?
what can be a useful breathing technique?
Posted by: Trejo539

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/01/06 12:08 PM

Quote:

this is a use full strategy and it works.u feel like an animal or something.it makes u deadly serious and dangerous.
Posted by: Diabolic

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/02/06 09:33 PM

Coming in late to this conversation =)

I think that anytime you practice/train, do so with people bigger and more advanced then you. You learn more then training w/ people at your own level, and you get used to that fear and intimidation alot faster if you do so. Always practice with people better then you. Its like golf or anything in life, when you have a challenge you rise to the occasion.

Everyone is different but like a few people have said, confidence in king. If you are good, and know you are good due to practice etc. you wont have fear and adrenaline is the ultimate fear killer in these situations. Pump yourself up whichever way works for you. (I like to jump around and hit my opposing shoulders with the opposing hands)

If you have fear due to a persons size, strength etc, then it becomes more like a game of chess. You just get use to this the more situations you get in.
I always have some amount of fear, fear keeps you in check.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/03/06 11:46 AM

I dont know if this has been posted already but, honestly you just have to train like mad, and practice practice practice. Do TONS of full contact or at least semi contact sparring with guys of all sizes and skill levels, train train train, it's all a matter of confidence and the more HARD and realistic training you do the more confident you will be, and you will not be as afraid, you have to get to the place where you dont even think about, you just get out there and do it, without thinking, you cant be distracted by thoughts of what the outcome of the fight will be, you just train hard, and fight hard, and remember, you fight like you train.
Posted by: TKDBB

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/11/07 10:48 PM

I know this feeling. At school today some little kid maybe 110 pounds started punching me. I wasnt expecting it at all and had an adrenal dump. Im a big guy too 5'8" 175 pounds and bench about 240. I froze but luckily he couldnt hurt me if he tried. But Ive been in other fights where I was fine. I realize it comes down to expecting it. Just take a deep breath and the adrenaline will take over.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/12/07 01:23 AM

The key is to turn your fear into action. Notice that when a rock is thrown at you, you dodge. Because of fear of being hit. A rock is no different than an opponents fist. Simply react. Instead of "dodge" , which is a good option, you also want "cover" or attack" to be this reaction as well. Go Practice.
Posted by: Aeges

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 01/12/07 01:54 AM

If you fear the unknown, then you have not thought enough about what the possibilities are. This works for me with big fears, perhaps it will work for you.

Sit down and think about the fear.

”I am scared to get in a fight”
Ask your self why
”Because I don’t want to get hurt”
Why
”Because I don’t like pain”
Why
”Because I don’t want to die”
Why are you scared to die?

Pretty much everything boils down to ending up asking your self why you don’t want to die. Its perfectly natural, every cells primary goal is to reproduce and go on living. If you come to terms with death, and understand that there is no way you can avoid it forever, and it no longer becomes something to dread, a lot of things go out the window.

For this specific example, having a solid reason why you are fighting, and in fact having a solid reason for anything in life, helps to eliminate fear. Now this can be hard to apply sometimes, because in most arranged fights (I.e not pissing someone off in a bar and getting in to a fight), your reasons are not so grand. You may just do it to get better.

Think about it thought. If your home was invaded by a person who had the intent on killing your family, and you were the only person who stood in the way. Would you still be scared to fight them? The answer rests entirely on how willing you are to put your life on the line for your family. My self, if I had to fight off someone while my family went to run away, I would not be scared, because I would gladly suffer the pain of death while they get away.

So to sum up; Find out what it is you are really scared about, and try to come to terms with it, and then try to find out exactly what it is your fighting for.

or I could just be rambling. You decide.
Posted by: Z498

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/06/07 06:09 PM

Well what I do personally is one of these 2 things.

Before we

I usually think of all the people that annoyed the [censored] out of me once and how much I wanted to kick their butts and think of them also as weak ponys. That usally works.

2nd thing if that dosen't work remember all the great accomplishments I have amde and remember...wtf? Why am I so worried I know tae kwon do here and I could easily take this dude down I won't let him intimidate me.

Final outcome using one of these TRUST ME-
Posted by: sunchips

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/12/07 02:41 AM

Quote:

If you aren't afraid, there is probably something wrong.

if so, something is wrong with me, when i fight, there is no such thing as pain and fear, (i am not pshyco ;P) but instead my desire to take the guy down, for me the thing i have to overcome is this desire.

I dont know what your style is, but coming from a full contact style, pain is insignificant, and like that guy said about imagining death, to me death becomes insignificant, i lived a good life and am going to a better place. So with fear, turn that energy into a possitive force, fight or flight, if you run, run faster, if you fight, fight harder.

Here is an illustration based on my life: riding a bike really fast, there is a pole right infront of you, you stare at the pole (fear) and you will hit it, look away (cancel the fear) and you wont hit it, concentrate on other things than your fear and you will be fine.
Posted by: xuzen_628

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/12/07 03:00 AM

Quote:

Fear is natural. The only way to conquer fear is to actually fight more. The only way to safely participate in a fight is go for tournament/Randori/Sparring whatever you call it.

X wf.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/13/07 09:05 AM

Quote:

The only way to conquer fear is to actually fight more.

...like the way to over come the fear of fire is to get burned a few times?

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/13/07 08:47 PM

A valid point. Ive been in alot of fights through the years. Even the times I knew I had the opponent beat, even people I had beaten before, I was still scared.

Fear is not your enemy. Fear is important. Without fear, it would make it hard to determine the many dangers a person may face everyday. Fear of losing your car or house keeps you going to work. Fear of losing your wife keeps you faithful, fear of fighting, can keep you from putting yourself in position to have to fight in the first place. The one true concern you should have is not the fear, but letting the fear control you to a point thats counterproductive.

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/14/07 12:07 AM

Quote:

Fear of losing your wife keeps you faithful,

So the unfaithful ones have no fear of their wives....or losing them...

I've not being in any real fights since some school boy scrapes decades ago. I just wonder myself how will I control my own fears (or whether if I have any) if I do get into one now. However, I've always told myself that if I do fight now, I will fight to win and sort out the law later.

Part of the 'fear' is due to social conditioning of a possible legal retribution and so we hesitate. However take this away, like in a war situation where killing is legally sanctioned (indeed mandated), ordinary people become heroes.

So I will fight like there is no law because the person I fight will most likely be a criminal, and he has no respect for any law and also fights to win. Make up your mind on this and put fear away because dying is not a good option, no matter what the law says.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/14/07 11:41 AM

Even in war, fear exists. Soldiers, even heroes have fear. They simply realize what else is at stake and overcome their fear but the fear still exists. And BP, I hope I am not over analyzing this.

It is a natural response to confrontation. Hence the whole fight or flight syndrome. Everytime I have been in a situation that could have resulted in a physical confrontation, even if I am angry, there is still fear. Sometimes I redirect the fear INTO anger to focus it and use it.

I do agree with you completely BP. If I am in a serious situation where I could be injured or killed, I will fight like there are no consequences to my actions then deal with the outcome later. First priority is to escape and if I can not do that, then I must beat my attacker.

Scottie
Posted by: Shadowtitan

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/14/07 01:42 PM

The only thing i really fear if i ever think about fighting is being killed or being permently damaged. i used to get into alot of fights and now i have two broken knuckels as a result so i stopped. when your aculey in a fight your not really going to be overwhelmed by fear your going to be angry and wanting to hurt the other person witch may lead to you seriously getting hurt becuse your not thinking straight or seriously hurting them (i guess thats why you get taughty discipline in MA's)so fear is a good thing becuse it keeps you under control and leads you to find safer ways out of such confrontations the best way would be not to completly get rid of fear just keep it there to help bring you to your senses and keep you under control you just need to learn to act calm and confident etc in front of your opposition and be ready to fight if needed so i guess you just need to learn to keep your fear under control which to me seems like a very difficult thing to do...

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/14/07 10:18 PM

I believe a man whos says he has no fear is a liar, or very very naive.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/14/07 10:45 PM

Fear is mostly A "pre-fight" thing. Once you're involved, you're too busy to be afraid. You're involved in the altercation.

To borrow an analogy, you're standing on a high diving board, thinking about how far from the water you are and everything else that's going through your mind. Once in the air and on the way, you're no longer afraid. You're simply reacting and doing your best.

That's about the same for fighting as well. In other words, you're going to feel fear. Once engaged, it's just "on". Don't sweat it.

-John

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 02/14/07 11:38 PM

Apollonaire Said

Apollonaire said,
'Come to the edge'
'No, it's too high'
'Come to the edge'
'No, we'll die'
'Come to the edge'
'No.....'
'Come to the edge'
They came to the edge,
And Apollonaire pushed them,
And they flew.

Anonymous.
Posted by: webby

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/02/07 11:45 AM

dude your better off avoiding fights.....but gichen funakoshu (spelling is wrong i think sorry) once said "dont think you have to win. think that you dont have to lose" be confident.
Posted by: Curly

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/03/07 10:29 PM

If I am ever forced to defend myself, I always get a huge adrenaline rush and nearly forget all that I have learned. In my experience, there are two ways to overcome this:

1) Relax and put yourself in a sparring match at your own dojo after you get attacked. Push your opponent back and step into a fighting stance and begin to throw out techniques when he comes back at you. Prentend like its just a full contact match without pads

2) Use Kumite if your dojo practices it. I know most Okinawan Karate schools do, (thats my background). Kumite means "pre-arranged sparring", and there are different sets where you know where your opponent is going to attack, reducing the uncertainty of the attack. So if your dojo does practice it, use a pre-arranged technique depending on how he attacks and what style of MA you practice.

But my best advice is to just walk away. Theres no shame in backing down to some jerk trying to start stuff with you. You have nothing to prove. I'm a bb and back down to more fights than I should. But if he makes any physical contact with you, he attacked you first and you need to kick his ass.
Posted by: jliu

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/11/07 10:56 PM

well adrenaline does take raise your pain threshold, so maybe..just don't worry?

i suppose you could do a lot of conditioning, to the point that you are confident you can take a few hits...
Posted by: SOUL-TAKER-187

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 03/22/07 09:50 AM

Most fights are won and lost in your mind before a fight begin , if you feel your lose 9 time out of 10 you will. fear is a good thing if you can learn to use it. just stay true to yourself and do your best and your alway`s when even if the fight was loss.
Posted by: TheUnseenSword

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 05/06/07 12:01 PM

Fear is being afraid of what COULD happen, not what IS going to happen. If we all focus on what COULD happen, we would be to afraind to simply live.

I try to remnd myself that 9 times out of 10, the opponent is think the same thing. Also, repeated exposure to fearful situations can dull the effects of the stimuli. In psychology, we call this "extinction" and you will begin to feel more at ease, as you become familiar with fearful situations. TRUST IN YOUR TRAINING!
Posted by: tea13reaker

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/06/07 07:38 PM

Is it really fear or adrenaline? If its adrenaline, its telling you, you're for action. Giving you extra energy, so use it if you have to. Take a nice deep breath before you do. If it's fear maybe its something you shouldn't do.
Posted by: IronFist443

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/18/07 03:29 PM

"there is always a chance of losing", [censored]. If you go into a fight thinking that then yer gonna get the [censored] kicked out of you. First of all you should'nt just go around fighting people cause now a days you'll get shot or even worse, sued. You should only fight for sport or a serious season. If its for sport theres money on the line and they're are rules, so follow them. On the street ,however, you may find yourself face to face with someone who has full intent to [censored] you up. This means no holds bared and you have got to totally blank out any thoughts of failure. This is'nt a little leauge baseball game, you can't just say "i'll do my best and then will shake hands and go about the day" you have got to go in with the mindset that he will do what ever possible to win. This means you must do the same. That includes bitting, hair and ear pulling,fishhooking,scaching and eye gouging. Don't wait for him to hit you first. If the situation has gotten to the point that you or a loved one is in danger then you have got to to beat the [censored] out the ass hole causing the problem. And once you start you do not stop until he is in the hospital. Then you go to him and kick the [censored] out of him some more. Be prepared to go all the way or don't leave the house.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/18/07 03:34 PM

Internet toughguys are a dime a dozen. I wonder if they will pay the lawyer fees and court costs if some idiot actually takes their advice.
Posted by: Hanzo

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/18/07 07:45 PM

I believe fear is a natural defense mechanism that can be controlled. Those who are brave are not the ones who do not fear, but the ones who control it.

Fear prior to a fight is something natural, instinctive. We all feel it in one way or another, specially when you are a kid. But hard and serious training can make you reduce and control that fear. Sparring is also essential. You control the fear of fighting by... right, fighting!

So go ahead and get messy in the dojo. After all, it's just another human being...
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/18/07 10:01 PM

Nice post Hanzo. Good way to put it, controlling the fear.

But ummmmm yeah I wouldnt go full force on someone at your dojo lol (I know your kidding)
Posted by: Taison

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/18/07 11:44 PM

Hanzo, may I add this as well?

There's a big difference between courage and stupidity. Some people will do something stupid when they are afraid, and people think "He's so brave" but most of the time, it's stupidity which was decided and carried out in a split second without much thought.

For example, you're being robbed by a man with a gun. You hand him your wallet, and he walks away. You then decide to run upto him thinking "I'll surprise attack him from behind", he hears you and in act of desperation, shoots you. Now, was that courage or stupidity?

-Taison out
Posted by: NewJitsu

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/19/07 11:36 AM

Geoff Thompson has written lots of great stuff relating directly to your point, Hanzo. Although books are in no way a replacement for alive training, Geoff's Fear - The Friend of Exceptional People is an educational read.
Posted by: Knobblykneez

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/21/07 07:12 PM

I regularly face fear every day when I walk into the school I work in. I was horribly bullied at school and I then turned into a bully. I now work with kids who "bully" me (I am 300lb and 6'2" with a limp through childhood disability) but I face it. That time at school was the worst experiences in my life and it is all relative. When I face a new opponent in my dojo I disregard their belt or attitude and fight to win for me. Fear is a personal thing and you need to find your own triggers. I have never been in a serious violent situation but I wouldn't "fear" one as I train hard and I am no longer afraid of blood or hurting myself. Put me in a box of spiders and I would cry! I know I can and will train myself to appreciate spiders (I held a tarantula and it was an amazing experience) Read Geoff Thompson's books as they are truly amazing. You will ride your own personal journey through pain and fear and it is controllable but only you and you alone can find your fear threshold and break it.
Posted by: Gothrocker

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/26/07 10:47 PM

Quote:

Well, in my opinion; or rather, what works for me, is to number one not think about the fight; number two, blast the hell out of your ears with Disturbed, Trivium, or Linkin Park before the fight; and number three, always keep in mind that your opponent is as nervous or more nervous than you. I personaly feel more fear after a fight than before it because I reflect on what I did wrong and the consequences of what couldve happened if i started to get my ass kicked.
Posted by: IceCat

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 07/27/07 06:37 PM

I personaly feel more fear after a fight than before it because I reflect on what I did wrong and the consequences of what couldve happened if i started to get my ass kicked.

I feel the same way,the few fights I've been in happened so fast that I didn't think of what could've happen until after.I stood my own and never got hurt,good enough for me
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: How do you control fear during a fight? - 08/05/07 04:40 AM

G'day all

Thought you may appreciate an extract from an article of mine on the topic of fear and the fight or flight response. Sorry it is long but the full article is 8 pages with more to add before its published.Hope you enjoy

_____

Fear and Fight or Flight.

It’s important to recognise that what you are feeling is not fear; it is simply your body’s preparation to respond to a threat or danger. Fear is often associated with the sensations of Flight and Fight, but fear only plays an initial role in the triggering of the response. It actually comes into play beyond the initial stimulus. The stimulus must first be observed before it is interpreted as dangerous, fear acts as a warning mechanism with in this interpretation phase. Simply put Fear is our measure of danger and threat. The things that produce the greatest fears in us are the ones that pose the greatest threat. This should not be confused with Phobias, which are irrational fears of specific stimuli and poses a whole topic in itself.

Fear is often seen as a negative phenomenon, and in the case of phobias it generally is, but really fear is much more of a positive experience. It acts as our built in “stupid prevention mechanism”, that is, it stops us doing stupid and dangerous things. When we do over ride this mechanism and do things that are risky, then fear heightens our awareness of the danger and thus enables us to counter that danger. Fear is actually very empowering, the bodies response to fear, the fight and flight response, prepares your body for action, in fact action that is faster and stronger then usual, as mentioned earlier your body is like it is super charged.

The danger is not in the fear itself, but in the refusal to accept that fear. Apathy and denial, “this is not happening” or “why is this happening to me”, results in the person being over fixated on the fear itself instead of dealing with the cause of the fear. It results in the freeze syndrome, and is a major cause of failure for martial artists (and non-martial artists) in real violence. It’s not the lack of skill or ability that that fails us when real world violence presents itself, The street thug isn’t better then the martial artist, the martial artist is just not prepared for that level of intensity of fight or flight, they read this as fear and become fixated on it. The fight or flight felt in the dojo or the ring is not nearly as intense as it is when there is a real risk of losing your life.

Can you control fight or flight response?

You can’t control the actual response as such, once triggered it is automatic. The control comes at the interpretation point of the process. In most cases fear is the determining factor for the intensity of the response, the greater the fear the greater the response. A related factor is the perceived level of threat, the greater the level of threat the greater the fear associated to it. You can’t control the response process but you do have a say over the intensity. The key is to control the fear.

You overcome this fear the same way as you would with any fear or phobia; you face it. You become accustomed to it. When you become familiar with the cause of the fear you eventually your fear of it is reduced. Practice makes perfect, practice dealing with fear and you become better at dealing with it. I’m not suggesting you go out and seek street fights or muggings. Instead utilise, Adrenal stress familiarisation into your training see below.

Confidence is one of the main factors in overcoming fear. Your level of confidence in dealing with a threat will influence your perceived fear of that threat. The more confidence you have in successfully handling the danger the less you fear that danger. A simple way of building confidence is via familiarisation. The more exposure you have to a stimulus the more confident you become at facing it. Familiarity brings about confidence through reinforcement. It is important to focus on success in handling the threat and not fail. It is the continued success or improvement towards success that truly brings confidence and reduces the fear of the stimulus.

Lets look at the some common treatments for phobias, the principles of which can be assimilated into self-protection training. There are, of course, a number of different psychological treatments available for phobias; here we are going to concentrate on exposure therapies as they relate directly to what we have just been talking about. We will use arachnephobia or the fear of spiders as an analogy.

Exposure Therapy is a phobia treatment involving the exposure to the phobic stimulus in a safe and controlled setting. One method of exposure treatment is via “Flooding”. Flooding is where the person is immersed in the fear reflex until the fear itself fades away. The person is literally flooded with the stimulus, to a point where the subject becomes accustomed to the stimulus and the resulting fear. Many adrenal stress familiarisation drills utilize flooding Senshido’s “Emotional Invocation Drill” is a great example and Geoff Thompson’s Infamous “Animal Days” involve a great deal of flooding type experiences.

Similar to flooding but undertaken in a progressive step –by-step fashion is “Systematic Desensitization”. Here the subject is exposed to the stimulus in increasing degrees. The treatment for arachnophobia (fear of spiders) frequently involves Systematic Desensitization. Typically the person will be exposed only slightly to the stimulus, they may just look at a photo of a spider. The next step is to look at a plastic spider and then handle the plastic spider. Next they may observe a real but dead spider and then touch the dead spider. Next they will observe a live spider at a distance and behind a class shield and then without the shield and so on until eventually they are able to physically handle a real live spider. This approach can easily be adopted in self–protection training by exposing the student to increasingly “realistic” scenarios including more and more variables, greater contact more aggression and so on. This approach is often used by Martial arts clubs for sparing; lower grades start with no or little contact increasing the level of contact belt by belt or step by step until they are able to properly spar full or near full contact.

The benefits of increasing the level of familiarisation of a fearful stimulus gradually are pretty obvious, but the real benefit of the therapy is derived from the inclusion of “Counter-Conditioning”. Here the subject is encouraged to substitute another response for the fear response when exposed to the phobic stimulus. Relaxation is often a substitute as it is incompatible with feeling fearful or anxious. By consciously relaxing and controlling your breathing (deep, controlled breath facilitates relaxation) when exposed to the stimulus you effectively counter the intensity of its fear-induced effect. Fight and flight will probably still be invoked, but because you train yourself to relax the fear is perceived as less stressful and thus the fight and flight response operates at a lower intensity.

It doesn’t have to be relaxation that is used as the substitute; you can train yourself to react in any particular way when in the presence of the stimulus. You could, for example, train yourself to automatically raise your hands etc

_______

Again I hope that is of use to someone.