getting punched in the gut

Posted by: boxing_kid

getting punched in the gut - 12/14/05 10:00 PM

why is it when you get punched in the gut it takes a minute or so to recover? i know it knocks the air out of you, but why does it take so long to recover, and would abs really help you take these shots, say your not tensing up your abs and you get hit in the stomach, how much will they help you then? and why does getting punched in the gut knock the air out of you? i mean your lungs aren't right there, sorry if this sounds like a stupid thread, i'm just the type of guy who needs to know everything about everything even if i have to ask stupid questions every once in a while
Posted by: BrianS

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/15/05 07:10 AM

Quote:

why is it when you get punched in the gut it takes a minute or so to recover?

Um,because you were just punched in the gut.?

Quote:

i know it knocks the air out of you, but why does it take so long to recover,

I guess it takes different people different lengths of time based on how they took the punch.

Quote:

would abs really help you take these shots

Everyone has abs? Do you mean developed strong abs?

Quote:

say your not tensing up your abs and you get hit in the stomach, how much will they help you then

I'm thinking not much.

These are alot of questions boxing kid. I would suggest asking your instructor. Ask him to show you how to take a punch in the gut,but the idea is not to get hit at all.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/15/05 05:06 PM

Questions are good.

Many people say that exhaling when hit reduces the recovery time. Ask your coach if you want to train this.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/15/05 11:19 PM

Quote:

why is it when you get punched in the gut it takes a minute or so to recover? i know it knocks the air out of you, but why does it take so long to recover, and would abs really help you take these shots, say your not tensing up your abs and you get hit in the stomach, how much will they help you then? and why does getting punched in the gut knock the air out of you? i mean your lungs aren't right there, sorry if this sounds like a stupid thread, i'm just the type of guy who needs to know everything about everything even if i have to ask stupid questions every once in a while

Google search for the sanchin kata.

Peace Out!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/15/05 11:23 PM

Good answer,but he's boxing kid,that would suggest to me that he does boxing or at least interested in it. I doubt he would like to do the hard sanchin kata with an instructor beating on him,like I do.

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/16/05 02:57 PM

what i ment by "why does it take so long to recover" is why do you still have trouble breathing afterwards?
Posted by: Subedei

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/16/05 05:42 PM

Do you mean the solar plexus? When someone says "gut" I usually think abdomen, which is one of the toughest 'soft' areas on your body.

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/16/05 08:44 PM

yeah the solar plexus, why does that freeze up your lungs for a minute or so when punched there?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/16/05 08:54 PM

http://ejmas.com/jnc/jncart_svinth6_1199.htm

From the link -

Quote:

• Diaphragm and solar plexus. The diaphragm is the group of thoracic muscles that control your breathing, while the solar plexus is the group of nerves that do the same. Both are located just under the V in your ribs. Powerful upward blows to these muscles and nerves knock the wind out of the victim. First aid involves putting the victim on his side, one knee in his chest, then having him breathe as deeply as he can. The corresponding acupressure point is Conceptor Vessel 12.

I *ASSUME* that striking the SP causes the diaphragm to spasm/contract, "knocking the wind" out of you, and simultaneously making it difficult to draw in more air.

However, I am not a doctor. I only play one on the internet.

PAGING BUDOC!!!!
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/17/05 02:54 PM

Matt has it essentially correct.

The full gas volume never really is fully expired. There is always a little left in there.

The "wind knocked out" is kind of a misnomer in that regard.

The diaphragm spasm is what keeps you from inhaling fully.

Anyone that this has happened to knows that the body has a quick auto-regulation to restore breathing in a matter of seconds(although it may feel like a lifetime).

When and if it happens, try to stand up and raise your arms above your head. Try to breath deep and slowly. The apin from the shot to the SP may well continue, but you'll be brathing in a few seconds.

Page
Posted by: MattJ

Re: getting punched in the gut - 12/17/05 05:45 PM

Thanks for clarifying, Doc.