BEST STREET MARTIAL ART

Posted by: GEB

BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 03:18 PM

Hi! amatuer martial artist here. What's your opinion of the best MA for street self defense? I've heard good things about Krav Maga (<-Spelling?).
Posted by: McSensei

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 03:35 PM

Yawn.
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 03:39 PM

Read this

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15737680/an/0/page/0#15737680

Have a nice day
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 03:48 PM

That's an interesting question, I suggest you find a qualified instructor in your area.

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 03:55 PM

None of these replies made sense. #1: What are you yawning about? #2: I can find nothing about this post that is against the rules I'm asking your opinion of which is most effective in a dangerous situation and #3: What does a qualified instructor have to do with this question? I'm not asking to be taught I'm asking your opinions.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 03:59 PM

I was up early, I'm tired. Yawn.

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 04:04 PM

well at least you not just being an @$$hole like some other people on here. I've read in different spots around the boards, and people aren't that friendly to newbies.

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 04:14 PM

We are friendly to newbies. The problem is that had you actually read a fair amount of the threads here, you would know that most of us don't do "superior style" debates, and don't believe in a superior style.

"That's an interesting question, I suggest you find a qualified instructor in your area" is the catchall phrase we use to reply to questions like yours until a mod shows up and locks the thread, which will be anytime now. Have fun, and I hope you did learn something from this.
Posted by: Cord

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 04:18 PM

Welcome to the forum GEB. The reason for the somewhat 'cool' response to your question is because there are hundreds of threads devoted to this topic if you look through previous pages of content.
The conclusion to all of them has been that any and all martial arts can be used to defend yourself if it becomes necessary, and there is no 'best' or most effective. It is down to the abilities and training of the individual applying their chosen art that makes it usefull in the situation.
The seek a qualified instructor response is good advice. You say you are an 'amateur martial artist' what do you study? have you asked your instructor about realistic street applications of your current art? What was his/her response to your question? If you havent asked them yet, I suggest that as a logical starting point.

We are real people,not AI sentence generators, you have just called many on here a$$holes. Would you help someone who just came out of nowhere and insulted you like that?
Play nice, maybe introduce yourself properly, and start afresh- Sound reasonable?

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 04:19 PM

This isn't a debate, it is a request of opinion. And personelly, I can find no useful information to add to my current knowledge within this thread.
Posted by: Cord

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 04:22 PM

Quote:

I can find no useful information to add to my current knowledge within this thread.

0+0=0

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 05:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I can find no useful information to add to my current knowledge within this thread.

0+0=0

Not to mention insulting us isn't very likely to garner an opinion on the matter.

Since you so badly want an opinion, here's mine, there is no Art or Style that is necessarily better suited for self defense over any other. The practitioner is ultimately what matters.
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 05:32 PM

Fine, as said 1000 times before, there is NO BEST ART for anything, let it be self-defense or competition or simply to get fit.

If you wanna do Krav-Maga, do it. If you don't like it, then stop. If you HAD read the whole link I gave you, you would know that there is not best art.

We are tired of people not reading the rules before posting, and we are tired of people posting the "best art" or "this vs that" threads. They have all been answered soo many times before that we have become desensitized to people who ask them.

Further, if you are asking for opinions, everyone will naturally give their own art as the best for self-defense, since that's what they have experience in. So asking what everyone thinks is the best art is futile and a waste of time, unless you want to try 100 different arts and find out for yourself...

In short, the best art is Kung-pow chicken-do.
Have a nice day.
Posted by: Meanstreak

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 06:11 PM

"#2: I can find nothing about this post that is against the rules"

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15737680/an/0/page/0#15737680

"Do not ask which Martial Art is the "best." There is no best art, it all depends on the instructor, student, and training methods. " (Joel M - Moderator)

"I've read in different spots around the boards, and people aren't that friendly to newbies."

If youve read any martial arts forum, you would know how common this question is. - why are you asking this question?

It's asked by people who are too lazy to read any of the old posts (which is what irritates us most of all)

Or by some kid who wants everyone to agree that his art is the most amazing art known to mankind -and therefore they are pretty amazing themselves. - This angle is irritating too - but can be put down to inexperience and enthusiasm - which everyone has experienced to some degree in their lives.

You have combined the 2 - youre too lazy to look, and you WANT to be told how good krav maga is - the inexperience is ok - the laziness is not. Try research - on the net - or maybe try a training centre nearby and see what its like.

"This isn't a debate, it is a request of opinion. And personelly, I can find no useful information to add to my current knowledge within this thread. "

Sounds sort of demanding to me - maybe its a sign that you should look outside the thread (in the old posts perhaps) or even take the advice of the people on the forums.

Ps - watch the attitude
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: BEST STREET MARTIAL ART - 09/18/05 08:00 PM

My art is the best for evrything-from throwing chi balls to single handedly whooping an entire biker bar.

Why you ask?
Because I am the moderator and I have the last word.

Side note: Locking thread because these never go anywhere productive.