Fear on the streets?

Posted by: ZiNe

Fear on the streets? - 09/06/05 05:27 PM

How did you guys overcome the fear and fight for the first time? I've only had one incident with a fight on the street and it scared me enough. I'm really afraid to fight now. I'm only 14 and i'm not trying to get into any fights, I just wanna be prepared for when I do get into one. How did you guys overcome the fear of being beaten up? Cause I sure can't...I just wanna be able to stand up for myself and not be afraid of getting beat up...Any help?
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/06/05 05:39 PM

Realistic preparation.
Go get training and spar.

Ps. I am always afraid to an extent and I have been in dozens of "real" fights.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/06/05 05:53 PM

Sometimes a good dose of fear does you good. Keeps you from doing something stupid, you know. I think it's the airheads who don't fear anything who end up in the most trouble. Don't let it get to you and keep up your training.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/06/05 07:01 PM

Use that fear to motivate yourself into action. If you fear being beaten so much, well, it's a certainty if you don't fight back.
Look out for Geoff Thompsons, Fear, the friend of exceptional people.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/06/05 09:50 PM

nekogami13 V2 said it best!

Train. Spar. Repeat a LOT! Over time you toughen up and aren't afraid anymore. That's the biggest benefit of training martial arts. So the training has to be there.

Then remember this: The FEAR is always what you feel BEFORE a fight happens. It's "pre-fight" jitters. Once it's underway, you're not going to be scared anymore - because you won't have TIME to be afraid.

Here's Matt Thornton's analogy:

You're standing on very high diving board, contemplating jumping off into the water. The water sure looks like it's a LONG way down though. You're nervous as you consider what you're about to do, wondering what "might happen if you screw up". You have the "pre-dive jitters".

Suddenly you're in the air and then in the water - there's no TIME to use your brain and "think" about what's happening, you are only reacting. It's then that you AREN'T scared.

Same way in a fight. Once it's underway, you're just reacting. With good training, you'll react in a positive manner. No fear.

-John

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/06/05 11:21 PM

My devestating good looks and rapier like wit aren't the only reason I am a mod
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/07/05 01:13 PM

Quote:

My devestating good looks and rapier like wit aren't the only reason I am a mod

Its his sleek and shin hair!
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/08/05 01:10 AM

I've always convinced myself that fear is the other guys problem ... he should be fearing me. Anyway, don't confuse fear from adrenaline or nerves. They're always present right before a fight. My leg used to always twitch right when a fight was about to go down.

And being 14, try not to get into too many fights. Train and spar. That's the ticket.
Posted by: Blindsided

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/08/05 08:50 PM

my head gets all tense before a fight is about to go down.. i dont know its weird.. lol
Posted by: matxtx

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/10/05 12:18 PM

an ex-bouncer,martial artist,writer geezer call geoff thompson covers this kind of stuff well.in fact he covers all things to do with realism well.fear,adrenaline dump.etc etc.
Peter Consterdine also .
Marc 'animal' MacYoung has wise words too.
a guy called charles nelson too.
getting your state of mind right and your attitude in your head is often overlooked and important.
i remember once on a night out in one of my 'experiences',this guy started on me verbally and when i said i didnt want trouble ,his mate said 'he's scared'..probly my shakey voice,,,so it defo made me look easy......then it kicked off.
Posted by: Prometej

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/10/05 03:25 PM

I pulled this out of some article:

Should you choose to engage in verbal de-escalation, you must have the spirit or will to carry it out properly. This is where you need to control your FEAR. If you think you cannot "win" against your aggressor, you are already defeated in the mind. This mean you'll have to fight both your fear and your aggressor, a very precarious situation.

once you accept the fact that you are in a dangerous situation, you need to override your fear. Stop thinking about your opponent ability to hurt you which might cause an overwhelming sense of fear and self doubt. Rather focus on what you can do to him. You should "objectify your opponent" so that he's reduced into only body parts which you can kick, strike, throw, break, choke etc. He is reduced to a groin, a thigh, a knee, an arm or a pair of eyes. Depending on the manner in which he approaches you, he will expose some vulnerable areas for you to attack.

Attack: you'll be able to attack your aggressor more effectively if you've successfully recognized the dangers and override your fear. Whether the aggressor attacks you first or you decide to strike pre-emptively, you must be fully committed to your attacks until he's no longer a threat. Don't just defend and block his attacks, strike him fast and hard on his vulnerable areas to disable his attacks instantly.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/14/05 11:31 AM

Overcoming fear is not the objective, channeling it is. I've always respected and feared my attacker in the street fights that I had. Even if I sized him up to not be much of a threat if I couldn't deesculated it I made myself fear him by post suggestion, "He must be armed or he wouldn't approach me like that". In this way I gave myself the adrealin/fear burst I needed to take him out quickly.

I learned this in heavy contact sparring that even a smaller, slower, less skilled opponent could overwhelm you if he fought with a will and aggression that you didn't expect. Back then a lot of these guys would spar on drugs that enhanced their performance or made them less concisous of pain (before they found that it damaged the manhood), some just wanted to win so badly that they phscyed themself out to whatever it took they'd do. You better be able to meet their challenge or be overwhelmed, dispite physical advantages or skill level if caught cold. Post suggestion or Channeling your Chi, fear/adrenlin, or respect or whatever to helps bring you to their level of combat readiness.

Fear is not a bad thing if you control/channel it.
IMHO.

As for blocking its been my experince if you block more then 4 times right after another you are in trouble (fighting defensively) waiting for one to land, you better use your foot work to get out of the way or go into a clinch quickly. If you are just blocking without countering him you are waiting for your KO. Nobodies thats good.

Again this just from my experinece doesn't have to be true in your case, some people you probably can block thier shots all day long. If thats the case why fight them?
Posted by: matxtx

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/14/05 02:53 PM

i think its a state of mind too.
are you fighting to 'win' some imaginary thing...or for your life ,to survive.
their different things.
same when you train.....which do to train for?when your in front of the bag or whatever you do in training......
someone untrained ,cornered fighting for there life doing anything could do better than a trained person trying to 'win'.i try to get scared and imagine the fear ....then see what i can use like that.
Posted by: Caino

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/15/05 09:29 AM

Here is some advise I got a while ago that has helped me whenever a real fight presented itself to me, "The thought of being hit, is worse than actually being hit."
I've been hit afew times in my life (mainly by untrained thugs) and I believe this to be true.
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/17/05 11:00 PM

For me, fear kicks in when I feel I can't possibly win when involved in a specific situation. That said, I know that I have only one shot at victory and I look for that opportunity until it appears. Hopefully, I haven't been beaten to a pulp by then but when it appears (and it usually does) I attack with 100% effort ... and then run like heck!!

However, when I feel I can't win, I'll always try to talk myself out of the problem and that usually works.
Posted by: dadoody5

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/21/05 12:00 AM

This is the thing that gets me.

#1 Don't get into street fights. Where are you people from? Harlem?

#2 Have Fear. Use your martial arts knowledge to block hits and get away.

You people need to get this:
Street fights aren't predictable. If you're not getting mobbed, then it's possible other guy may shoot or stab you if you win.

Don't be the big man who dies. Be the wise man who just lives.
Posted by: Arnagan

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/26/05 07:25 AM

ZINE: How did you guys overcome the fear and fight for the first time?

Arn: After a few months of group therapy I was able to discover a will and sense of self respect that left little to no room for submittion. Unwilling to pay its costs anymore, a self realization that little physical dammage I'd saved myself from by begging, wasn't worth the emotional bill that came with loosing face, AND that, read on every morsal of my being reppelling those who'd wish to victomise me.
At some point kid, the determination you'll find inside your heart to simply accept anything including death before submitting to the will of another, will keep the bullys away like nothing else ever did.
Posted by: Arnagan

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/26/05 07:27 AM

Ps. I am always afraid to an extent and I have been in dozens of "real" fights. >>

Arn: Fear, in fact can and has often been thge great nmotivator for success in battle. Fear can fuel u, give u strenght make you quicker.
It can even paralyze u if ur not carefuyl.;/
Posted by: oldman

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/26/05 02:49 PM

Quote:

Ps. I am always afraid to an extent and I have been in dozens of "real" fights. >>

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope your luck, or options improve.

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/26/05 03:03 PM

As long as I stay in the profession I am in-I do not believe they will.

All of my "real" world, street, whatever you want to call them
encounters have occurred at work after verbal(if given the chance) methods failed.

It is not boasting-if I was trying to boast I would state I have never had to resort to physically restraining a single person-they all responded and cooperated with verbal command.
Posted by: Fightknight

Re: Fear on the streets? - 09/26/05 10:52 PM

Fear is a natural part of fighting. It is fear and the desire for survival that fires up your adrenaline. Now, once you realize that the new heightened sensation is a benefit not necessarily a detriment you have conquered one issue. The other issue is you need to train and SPAR. If you do not spar, get hit and hit you can kata til the cows come home and be a dead man. Realizing where the rush is coming from and having the tools to defend yourself equals confidence.
Posted by: NRNS

Re: Fear on the streets? - 10/31/05 01:45 PM

this might sound silly but the way i came to overcome my fear of a street fight was taking a really bad beating in my first ever fight, i ended up with broken ribs and a shattered eye socket, which was my own fault for stikin up for my friend absolutely poundin my opponent then making one silly move and the fight turned nasty in his favour. and ever since then i have never been scared wen bein confronted jumped whatever you can imagine i seemed to have come to terms with the fatc that i got about the worst you can get without the use of weapons and im not afraid to take a beatin, plus now i fight till the end neway im not sayin go out n lose u shudnt fight at all, but never think you are too good big n hard coz there is always someone better than you out there and they will find you.
Posted by: ShaolinDragon

Re: Fear on the streets? - 11/15/05 04:01 PM

Hay read this!!!

The most destructive element in the human mind is fear. Fear creates aggressiveness.
Posted by: ShaolinDragon

Re: Fear on the streets? - 11/15/05 06:29 PM

hey
I agree with the sparring side of things it builds your confidence. Read the quote below!

The most destructive element in the human mind is fear. Fear creates aggressiveness.
Posted by: NEAS

Re: Fear on the streets? - 11/15/05 07:40 PM

Hi. Training can make a person fitter stronger faster more skilled etc etc but then I think a person might want to train under pressure. This is a suggestion. If you have a specific good technique on the pads train it. Ask someone to give you mild verbal abuse while training it. Check whats going on in your head.Check your fear level. If that is fine go further with the verbal abuse technique training. Check what is going on in your head if its ok keep going. The end goal is for some one to be shouting swearing and being realy critical and your technique is still fine although you might be feeling scared.

The next step is have some one who can say punch or kick realy hard punch or kick the pads while you hold them.

Then you do your technique while they shout and swear.
If you feel scared while training then try to shout as you train. .

This is the start of mental conditioning.

Combine all this with sparring.

It goes further but wait untill you can handle the above before you go on to the next step. If you can then thats fine. The above is only a suggestion its up to you if you want to try it or not.