7yrs is not enough

Posted by: SANCHIN31

7yrs is not enough - 08/11/05 11:17 PM

Mitchell Johnson is released after his part in Jonesboro,Arkansas shootings in 1998. He is released on his 21st birthday because of a loophole after serving only 7yrs for the school shootings which left 4girls and 1 teacher dead,11 others were wounded.

Quote:

Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, pulled a school fire alarm and fired into the crowd as people filed out of the Westside Middle School, killing four girls and a teacher, and wounding 11 others.

Since 1998 there have been 29 school shootings in the U.S.
62 people have been killed in them.
111 people have been wounded.

Is this justice? Should I even send my kids to school?

The recently released 21yr old expresses remorse and wants to be a minister.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/11/05 11:28 PM

I don't care what age or loophole it was, he needs to go back in for a long time. Let him minister to other criminals.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 03:12 AM

If he did that where I or Leo comes from, he would have gone for reincarnation by now, assuming he managed to talk his way out of Hell; this talk about wanting to be a minister.

Just have a national consensus in your country that it is necessary to have a national crime policy that recognises extreme measures to deal with extreme anti-social behaviour. Over here, just possessing an unlicenced firearm means life imprisonment.

The next mass-murderer is waiting to strike -- he has calculated his odds; what is 7 years? a blink of an eye, and all paid for by taxpayers.

Prime Minister of UK, Tony Blair, is pushing for tougher laws now; but that is 54 lives too late.
Posted by: Chanters

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 03:37 AM

Justice here in the UK is almost non-existent. In my area there was a 21 year old male who killed 2 people. It was pre-meditated and he got sent down for 18 months! If you're caught running your vehicle on vegetable oil, you face up to 7 years in prison... makes no sense. It just shows that taxes and money are more important to our government than the people.

We have a very low record of school shootings and if any, it's usually air guns. this thread is not about guns,let's keep it that way
A fear I may have opened up a can of worms... and await the flaming from the all the gun toting clan.

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 04:35 AM

Before all the gun touting constitutional lawyers / clan set thier sights on you and obliterate your existence leaving a strong smell of cordite behind, please let us have your views, as an obviously law abidding British citizen, on the right of the police to arrest and detain indefinitely without trial a 'suspected terrorist?'

Because this is exactly what we have over here. Incidently, this law was left behind by the British colonial administration when they were here and fighting the communists in the 40s and 50s. Just for the record, this country is the only one in the world which have actually defeated a communist insurgency. Those British soldiers in the SAS Regiment will know all about this.

In every sphere of civilised human endeavour, you have to give something for something.

Nothing is free, not even Freedom.

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 07:09 AM

stay away from political discussions

Posted by: JoelM

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 10:39 AM

Sanchin beat me to it, but let's not burn this thread so early with ignorant assumptions about a country you don't even live in.

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 10:46 AM

Apologies Sanchin! Will do in future.

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 10:47 AM

We'll not go there...
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 10:54 AM

Quote:

Apologies Sanchin! Will do in future.

No problem! Thankyou much!
Posted by: MAGon

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 11:30 AM

Sanchin: Should you send your kids to school? Yes! Despite the troubling trend you describe, the sheer horror of children being gunned down, and the instinctive urge to leap to protect that any parent would (Or should!) get from reading about these incidents, the fact is that they're very few and far between. You might worry about lightning striking your child, but you don't lock him/her in the house.

Is it fair? HELL NO! Shouldn't have happened and should be reversed if possible. That said, if our home grown juvenile-villain-who-got-away-with-it (So.Fla.'s very own Lionel Tate) is any indication, he'll soon be back in. It's to be hoped that while that happens, the only person this freak hurts is his former partner.

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/12/05 11:28 PM

Quote:

stay away from political discussions

With the big time difference, I did not have the opportunity to read Chanters reply and so have no idea why her post was deleted.

Whatever she may have said, whether political or otherwise, I for one will never ever be offended. The point I was making was that the peace and stability we enjoy over here is a direct result of draconian laws (prohibitive firearms legislation is just one topical example) left behind by our colonial administrators for which we are actually thankful; the mention of the SAS Regiment is to emphasise the sacrifice made by young British soldiers who fought and died in the steaming jungles, unnoticed and unheralded.

The volatile mix of race, religion and economics in this region is not something to play around with, and which the British public is now just beginning to understand first hand. I myself nearly lost my life in a racial riot back in the 60s, and so my passionate concern on this issue.

If the point is that draconian laws (on firearms for example) are an impingement on civil rights, then my view is that the people who shoot young school children or bomb buses are the greatest violators of human rights, not the prohibitive laws.

Chanters say something about not coming over here. Well, if you do change your mind, and I hope you do, you will be pleasantly surprised; that the laws may be seemingly harsh, but so is the curry

Take care, Chanters.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/13/05 12:08 AM

Sanchin, my apologies if this goes into the political again, but that just may be the nature of the thread.

Personally, I think we should bring back hanging. Take some good sturdy rope, find some nice tall trees, and hang these mofos up where everyone can see them.

Re: 7yrs is not enough - 08/13/05 01:11 AM

Quote:

and hang these mofos up where everyone can see them.

Including the children? Therein lies your problem. How do you balance the means to combat an evil while at the same time do not create another one?