I was attacked by white supremists

Posted by: dadoody5

I was attacked by white supremists - 07/10/05 10:39 PM

I was attacked by white supremists at a Ralph's in San Bernardino. I was trying to stop one of the punks for stealing some cigars, and was confronted outside by a group of them.

They started to push me, and I redirected it and stood my ground. Another guy, a skin head nearby, saw the whole thing and got in my face. He was yelling that he was in prison and would mess me up and took off his shirt. He was covered with schwastikas.

I thought I was in a tight spot, but then one of the other punks threw his cigarette and hit the skin head, who turned around. The the skin head started fighting with the little supremist punks.

I just stood there and stared for about 1 minute, then I left.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/10/05 11:24 PM

Just a few questions to understand your story a bit:

1-What did you do to stop the one from stealing?

2-"They" started to push you? How many were pushing? All at once?

3-Is there a difference between skinheads and supremists?

4-Last but not least, why did you stare at them for a minute? Get your butt out of there.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/11/05 12:13 AM

Awkward situation... but it could've been been worse so, why not?

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/11/05 12:38 AM

Quote:

Just a few questions to understand your story a bit:

1-What did you do to stop the one from stealing?

2-"They" started to push you? How many were pushing? All at once?

3-Is there a difference between skinheads and supremists?

4-Last but not least, why did you stare at them for a minute? Get your butt out of there.

1 - I stopped him at the door and told him I was going to arrest him for petty theft. I proceeded to pull out handcuffs.

2 - One was their "leader". A little dude who was kinda jumpy and talked a lot.

3 - Well the supremist guys had hair, and were young punks. There was a group of them. The skinhead guy looked like he was 30-40s, and his head was shaved and he had tatoos everywhere.

4 - It was weird. So I stared. I wasn't in too bad of shape, I think if it got really bad I could have pulled out my pepper spray as a shield.
Posted by: Cord

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/11/05 05:24 AM

Just wondering what leads you to the conclusion that the group of young guys were a racist gang? they just sound like a group of thugs with no agenda other than petty crime from your original post.
Swastika tattoos is a fair indicator of moronic prejudice in the other guy, but a 'skinhead' in this day and age does not correlate with political or social agenda. I have a 'skinhead' and it as a hairstyle has not made me intolerant or racist towards any group whatsoever, it is just a better look than a 'comb over' when dealing with male pattern baldness

I assume you are the store detective/guard, not an especially well prepared vigilante, in which case do you not have emergency procedures in place for dealing with large groups (emergency police button, quick drop shutters, radio in contact with backup/police?).

Anyway, even as a security guard your principle job is to satisfy the terms for your employers loss insurance. It is not in your job description to 'die hard' a gang of yobs.
Use your eyes and ears, take notes of descriptions, names used between them in conversation, license numbers etc. all at a safe distance.

Is petty theft worth dying for?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/11/05 10:33 AM

You were in a tight Skin heads as a group (not a hair cut) have different agenda then White Supermist one group hates minioritis because of their race, the other is anti-government, Law enforcement or agent and racist so they sometimes fight because of that.

You were in a tight its a good thing their politcail agenda was bigger then their hate for a authority figure or you might have been in the middle of that.

I'm interested in the out come did the 2-3 perks whup on the 30-40yr old skin head or did they let the two fight, did you call the police to have them arrested for this public distrubance on private property. Or did you just let them beat each other to a plump and drag the wounded off.

Personally I have no tolorance for either group, if confrontated I go for the julglar on these guys, any hint of a weapon (because they will kill you) I go to threat level 3, deadly force.

You did the right thing because you survived.
Posted by: SkInHoUnD

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/11/05 02:01 PM

What bothers me is if it was in broad daylight no one tried to help you...There had to have been people around.You know if people came together to protect one another then those guys probably would have been outnumbered.Ive heard of people making a stand on thugs and have had old ladies come to theyre aid...the petty idiots just [censored] themselves because they dont expect resistance.

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/11/05 10:48 PM

Quote:

What bothers me is if it was in broad daylight no one tried to help you...There had to have been people around.You know if people came together to protect one another then those guys probably would have been outnumbered.Ive heard of people making a stand on thugs and have had old ladies come to theyre aid...the petty idiots just [censored] themselves because they dont expect resistance.

It was a mainly white area (lower class whites), and for them to jump to my defense in that area would be about the same chance that Unicorns would fall from the sky and lance everyone.

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/12/05 03:12 AM

dadoody5, I am genuinely interested in your thread, but need clarification to my points/questions to be able to get a clearer picture of what and why everything transpired.

Are you the store security guard?
On What grounds do you believe the theif to be a supremist?
Why did you not follow a safe protocol (if security) or merely tell the store of the situation (if a member of public)
If you are security why carry handcuffs and mace, yet no radio?
If you are member of public, why carry handcuffs at all?!

Sorry but I am a little confused as to how the situation arose at all
Posted by: Meanstreak

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/12/05 01:32 PM

dadoody,

sorry to hear of your situation, it must have been quite disturbing, As for Neko456 pointing out "You did the right thing because you survived." it sounds like you survived more from luck than anything else. - just because someone survives doesnt automatically make what they did a good choice.

As Joel M pointed out, you should have gotten out ASAP - if i was in that situation and had the opportunity id have exited the scene - you set the picture as being in your store doorway - id hope to run back into the store to safety.

1,when confronted by the group
2,when assaulted by the group (not standing ground this wording suggests you reacted out of pride rather than anything else, forgive me ive ive mis-read you)
3,when verbally threatened by the skin head
4,in the window of opportunity while he was taking his shirt off
5,as soon as the fight began

not having been there - not knowing the positioning, area etc i willingly admit that what ive just said is much easier said then done - just a few idea is all.

"I think if it got really bad I could have pulled out my pepper spray as a shield. "

what part of any of this situation doesn't strike you as "really bad"? - multiple attackers threatening you sounds bad to me. youre employed as a store detective - loss prevention officer i take it, not a commando.

Id also reccomend that you get out of that job,my first rule of security work (3years in the industry so far) is that one guard by him/herself is useless.

Next that communication between you and your team (or a store manager who can call for assistance etc is of extremely high importance.

If you are a member of a minority in an extremely racist area and you have no back-up or communication then i think you are in a unrealistic and uneccesarily dangerous situation.

Id consider getting out of the area or perhaps changing to a store or company that works in teams, has a good communication system and allows you better weaponry than OC spray.

Skinhound, as for people not joining in - would you automatically jump in a fight to save someone you didnt know? - its a nice thought but would you jump in against a gang of punks to save an absolute stranger? - yes if everyone in the street did it at once there'd be no reason to fear gangs - but everyone in the area is going to be thinking that they'll help - when everyone else jumps in.

Theres a facet of human behaviour where responsibilty is dissapated and diminished when in large groups - everyone assumes that someone else will take care of whatever is happening.

Personally i probably would try to render assistance (and have done so in the past) but i would want to contact the police first so they could be on way and assist - better than charging in and getting beaten up with your new brother in injury.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/13/05 02:04 PM

I have been in a parking lot, full out brawling, rolling on the ground with an individual.
People walked and drove past, averted their eyes, informed noone of anything once inside the store. Noone, except the store I worked for employees, called the police.

People in general do not want to get involved at all.

He might not have been carrying a radio because he works on his own with noone to call for back up.

Re: I was attacked by white supremists - 07/14/05 10:06 AM

Quote:

He might not have been carrying a radio because he works on his own with noone to call for back up.

All the more reason to use discretion in his actions. With no backup he would have been better to retain pertinent information to give the authorities to aid them with their investigation after the fact.
Going and confronting a gang with no backup is madness, we are talking about a pack of smokes for goodness sake!
Standing by and taking details will not get the cigars back, but neither will getting kicked to death in public.