Street Clothing

Posted by: Outshined

Street Clothing - 06/16/05 03:33 AM

Has Levi Strauss ever thought about SD and the use of jeans? Iīm pretty sure he didnīt...but, anyway... My question is this: Do you think that clothing can significantly change a fight (specially for MA that have an emphasis in kicking, or punching (if you wear a heavy jacket) ? ....(That counts for both (or more) participants in the fight) ....Again, let me apologize for my imperfect English...
Posted by: Warwolph

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 06:21 AM

yes it can... straightjackets will have a huge influence. Don't wear straightjackets in the street. on a more serious side, yes, probably. jeans don't allow you to be as flaxible as track trousers for example... also some clothes can give an opponent something to grab onto for more strength etc...
Posted by: MAGr

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 06:23 AM

Well, a heavy jacket can protect you from hard blows, but it can impede you when you try and hit.

Also, if ever faced a judo player on the street I would take my shirt off!
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 10:44 AM

Medieval armour may have a positive effect when fighting against a striker.

I think Judo guys learn non-gi variations of their throws at higher belt levels. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know in the Jujutsu I study we learn non-gi throws before white-belt.

I think just comfortable loose clothes without high heels are the best for SD.

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 05:19 PM

Quote:

Well, a heavy jacket can protect you from hard blows, but it can impede you when you try and hit.

Also, if ever faced a judo player on the street I would take my shirt off!

Ok, an interesting point...... suppose you canīt run... if wearing a heavy jacket.....(and considering you donīt have enough time to put off "your armor")....... would you try to grapple? or trust in your kicks?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 07:26 PM

You should also see what happens when you are wearing a tie!
Posted by: cks_cropper

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 07:35 PM

I have often wondered to myself when walking along in my big jacket I have for the cold if I would be able to defend meself as good as I should be able to. And to be honest I dont think I would be able to. It does restrict my movement quite a lot compared to when im not wearing it. Alhough I dont have any other jacket, so I think ill stay warm and keep away from trouble.

thanx
CKS
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 08:06 PM

Try sparring in your regular clothes a couple of times. It can be an eye opener!
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Street Clothing - 06/16/05 09:39 PM

Considering I wear jeans(relaxed fit), tshirts and running shoes to work and work is where I get into fights-I have plenty of experience in my street clothes.

They work out very well.
Footwear is very important-good traction is a must.

Re: Street Clothing - 06/17/05 01:07 AM

Quote:

Considering I wear jeans(relaxed fit), tshirts and running shoes to work and work is where I get into fights-I have plenty of experience in my street clothes.

They work out very well.
Footwear is very important-good traction is a must.

Again.....another interesting point......Footwear....The pros an cons of footwear.....

I suppose (correct me if iīm wrong)

Boots= Strong Kick- Poor movement
Leather Shoes= Normal??
Tennis= Normal
"Converse"= Weak Kicking- Good movement- Poor grip??
and for women....shoes.....I mean, itīs pretty impossible to fight in that condition
Posted by: Equis

Re: Street Clothing - 06/24/05 01:26 PM

Well, in street clothes I would have to say I become all about the punches and knees. I tried kicking once, and sad to say all that was hurt was my crown jewls on a attempted high round house kick. Even though I was wearing loose fit jeans, they tend to fall to your ankles if you are vigorous in your movements.

If you wear a jacket try to take it off quickly and throw it at your attacker and beat the crap out of them as they look up and dodged the jacket coming at them. Most untrained fighters will do that. If not they will side step a good indication of a trained fighter.
Posted by: Bouser

Re: Street Clothing - 06/24/05 02:50 PM

Ok, throwing a jacket at them isent going to do anything lol. And just because u threw a jacket at them doesent mean u can start beating the crap out of them, how they move when a jacket comes at them has nothing to do with the type of fighter they are, if u think like that ur ognna try that and get ur face pounded in the ground.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Street Clothing - 06/24/05 03:26 PM

I disagree, Bouser. Throwing a jacket (or similar item) in an attacker's face will provide enough distraction to employ your Nikedo technique.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Street Clothing - 06/24/05 03:36 PM

Carry a cup of cold water with you at all times...

Re: Street Clothing - 06/24/05 05:33 PM

why cold? how about a cup of boiling water? oh yeah... you'll get sued *rolls eyes*.. but a distraction is always the best way to go.. that's why boxers jab to force a mistake, that's why fencers feint.. distraction will confuse anyone in the heat of a fight... just make sure you distract first..
Posted by: Belnick

Re: Street Clothing - 06/25/05 11:25 AM

I normally wear adidas clothes,
http://www.donkihote.com/images15000000/13417133.jpg
donno why, guess it is cus they are comfortable and lose, it is that or shorts and t-shirts, don't care that much for the weather anyway, unless it is snowing

Quote:

Medieval armour may have a positive effect when fighting against a striker.

I have thought of buying a chain mail shirt, but 700US$ is way to expensive for that now, I would rather buy a borla exhaust for that money
http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&ITEM=MR9-324

Re: Street Clothing - 06/25/05 07:17 PM

I know you can find DIY chain mail shirts around here and there... my very close friend as a child has a chain mail shirt he actually wears on the street.. it's sleevless and very light and probably not the best quality but it turns heads
Posted by: joeyxsama

Re: Street Clothing - 06/29/05 07:39 PM

The simple answer is that clothing effects your SD in any situation. So, practice in your different types of clothes. Even in the bussiness suit and high heels. Better to learn now than the hard way.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 06:06 AM

Quote:

Ok, throwing a jacket at them isent going to do anything lol.

Not true. If you aren't already involved in the fight, and are still at the confrontational stage, and you are sure they are a threat, throwing a jacket towards them can give you that split second to make your first strike and follow it up.

What's the worst that could happen:

1. They catch the jacket, in which case both of their hands are on the jacket
2. The jacket makes contact with his face, giving you an opportunity for attack

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 06:34 AM

umm a jacket cost money, would not throw it away...

so when u gonna claim you 300$ as insurance and you go

"I threw my jacket at the perps"

and they will go

"hahahahah" *click* ^beeeeeeeeeeep^
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 10:29 AM

Quote:

and they will go

I don't have any jackets worth that much and I don't have any worth getting hurt over.
Posted by: Circle_of_Owls

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 01:15 PM

I'm not sure this would qualify as typical street clothing, but Draggin Jeans makes 100% kevlar sweatshirts, jackets, and lined jeans for motorcyclists. Does anyone know how effective "soft knit kevlar" is against knives?
The weather here is really too warm most of the year, but I've often thought about a sweatshirt, and kevlar combat gloves for winter. Seems a bit paranoid, but if I'm going to wear them anyway, there is nothing wrong with them serving a dual purpose.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 02:10 PM

Quote:

there is nothing wrong with them serving a dual purpose.

Makes complete sense, kind of like having a kubotan as your keychain.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 02:42 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: globetrotter

Re: Street Clothing - 07/06/05 03:38 PM

I am not sure that a soft knit kevlar shirt would stop a knife, what it might do is "ride" the knife into the wound. this would be somewhat of a help, but not worth the expense or the trouble.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Street Clothing - 07/09/05 09:56 PM

Oldman, if those are your street clothes, I can see why you must train in a martial art.
Just looking at the drawing made me want to push you over and steal your lunch money

Re: Street Clothing - 07/10/05 05:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

and they will go

I don't have any jackets worth that much and I don't have any worth getting hurt over.

a leather jacket can cost alot more than that...
and you don't have anything worth getting hurt over ?

you would give them your car keys ?
you would give them the keys to your house ?
you would give them access to your bank account ?

I know I would not and it is often in the jacket..
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Street Clothing - 07/10/05 01:08 PM

Quote:

I most certainly would. Car keys will do them no good if they don't know which car is yours. The odds of them actually coming to your house are slim but if they do that's just ignorance on their part as they are sure to get caught. Anyone who carries enough information in their wallet or jacket to allow access to their bank account shouldn't have one. Granted they may have your credit cards but a quick phone call will cancel them. When they try to use them the clerk will be alerted that the card was stolen and there is a very good chance they will be caught on tape.

If your wearing an expensive jacket why would you place all of your valuables in the pockets? In hopes that someone could take all of your belongings in one instant? Personally i keep my wallet and cash separate for just this reason. They can take my wallet but they will get nothing of value other than my military ID, let them try to use that.

What would you rather happen? You give them your jacket willingly with the possibility of keeping your life or you don't give them your jacket, they shoot you and take it and your life.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Street Clothing - 07/10/05 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and they will go

Try and read again. "I don't have ANY [jackets!] worth getting hurt over."

Posted by: dadoody5

Re: Street Clothing - 07/11/05 01:14 AM

A nice leather jacket (made from cow or pig skin) is like light armor versus piercing attacks. If it's padded it's good against punches I guess.

Sometimes things can impede you. Like fighting with long shirts. People can grab you and restrict ur movements potentially.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Street Clothing - 07/12/05 11:33 AM

My input on throwing or using the jacket as a weapon. Throwing the jacket and his responce to it will give some indication of his skills. If it entangles him or distracts him you can take advantage of his mishap. If he catches it and throws it back, or side steps it, he might be trained or he has execellent reflexes. A trained eye can pick that up a untrained eye may not even notice.

I like to pop my jacket like a whip, if he catches it he is blind to the low line kick under the jacket. If he sides steps he is distracted enough that using the sweep works against his now moving feet, that followed by a overhand right usually gains me favor.

If he dumb enough to let a jacket hit him square in the face like a popping whip, after the kick to the balls, the suckers mines. I might could even fashion a reverse stranglation hold using the jacket as my scraf/cord, maybe even covering his whole head blinding/smoothering him temporaily. Then its Katie Bar the door (he ain't getting out). If he does it might be time to run LOL cause that is a bad a$$ shut your mouth. Excuse my french.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Street Clothing - 07/16/05 05:07 PM

a large hood on an opponents jacket is as good a weapon as any, if hes wearing his hood and a bit disorintated (maybe after a shot to the groin) you can grab the front of the hood and drag his face nicely into your knee and all he can do is flail and suffer.

also jeans and skating shoes are never good for fights, the skate shoes will just fall off or fly off with a kick (although i did flick my shoe into my friends face once when we were sparring) and jeans restrict movement.
Posted by: Chang Wufei

Re: Street Clothing - 07/23/05 12:01 PM

Quote:

and they will go

Eh, what do you mean "throw away" the jacket? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I get in a fight, I think I would take care of whoever was attacking me, and then pick up my jacket......

I think the Jacket Insurance Industry (Or J.I.I. as it's called on the streets) is the career choice for me.
Posted by: tingtong

Re: Street Clothing - 02/18/08 09:02 AM

didnīt chuck norris have his own action jeans which he sells??
just wondering...
Posted by: brocksampson

Re: Street Clothing - 02/19/08 12:35 AM

Quote:

Not true. If you aren't already involved in the fight, and are still at the confrontational stage, and you are sure they are a threat, throwing a jacket towards them can give you that split second to make your first strike and follow it up.

What's the worst that could happen:

1. They catch the jacket, in which case both of their hands are on the jacket
2. The jacket makes contact with his face, giving you an opportunity for attack

I'm all for striking first when necessary but, we seem to have overlooked an important phase in the whole 'throwing your jacket for self defense' theme. If you are in a position where you can partially dis-robe and then throw an item of clothing at a someone with intent, you are not in a fight. This time would be better used planning/making your escape. Not starting a fight.
If you are in a fight, you will know because there will most likely not be time to remove anything and there will not be room to throw it at your attacker. Your attacker will be the person(s) beating you as you attempt to undress.
Common sense tells us to either avoid and escape or defend, unless they are mugging you for your jacket!
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: Street Clothing - 02/19/08 02:26 AM

Quote:

didnīt chuck norris have his own action jeans which he sells??
just wondering...

Yep
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Street Clothing - 02/19/08 06:21 AM

I am guessing those are the types of jeans that the martial artists use in movies...
There are probably other jeans just like that.

Re: Street Clothing - 02/19/08 04:47 PM

I agree that if close quarters that disrobing is a negative, but there are times when sliding your jacket off is a pluses alot of times if you inticipate the conflict you have time. And as mentioned its better get rid of something that can be used against you like a tie or the zip up hooded jogging jacket. The pull over leaves you blind for too long unless he has to come around a car.

Usually I don't run until after the damage been done. My reason is if they bully you once they will seek you out to do it again. You might as well bite the bullet and whip his a$$ so he'll either stop bullying or definitly avoid you. If I knock him down or hurt him bad I'll then run usually anybody that wants to aim something at you after that, you can bet it won't be a camera. So it best to scoot!

Practicing in jeans is a good thing low line kicks are the safest bet anyway on the streets, learn to merge low line kicks into strikes, sweeps and throws. High kicks are ok but they do tend to leave you vurnerable longer and raise the percentage of error.
Posted by: Sigma37

Re: Street Clothing - 02/20/08 08:51 PM

When Practicing CMA Using Work Boots I found It Difficult To Hit With The Instep Of Foot? Should Technique Be Modified For The Kind Of Clothing Worn On A Regular Basis?
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: Street Clothing - 02/20/08 10:24 PM

Quote:

When Practicing CMA Using Work Boots I found It Difficult To Hit With The Instep Of Foot? Should Technique Be Modified For The Kind Of Clothing Worn On A Regular Basis?

YES

more correctly you should be training technique that is suitable for your everyday clothing, if it's difficult to hit with the instep then hit with the shin that way it doesn't matter what your wearing on your foot.

If you regularly wear work-boots, then find and train the techniques suited to them, if they are the kind with solid toes (eg steel cap) then learn to use that as a weapon., use the tough edge of the sole for edge of boot kicks (hitting with the arch side of your foot). Use the sturdiness of your boot to your advantage.

if your goal is Real World self protection, then you MUST take into account all aspects of your usual everyday life. if you only ever wear thongs (flip flops to you guys) then using a toe type kick to the shin is not on the cards, it's handy to now how to do it but when it comes down to it it is simple a waste of time for your particular circumstances.

For self defence, the dojo is just a safe controlled place to practice, you must always remember that the arena you are training for, the conditions and your clothing are rarely going to be congruent with dojo environments.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Street Clothing - 02/20/08 10:24 PM

i guess it would take a canadian to suggest the option of pulling your opponents shirt or jacket over his head to open him up for a pounding ( i mean escape, yeah...)

its something you have to beware of if you can reach over your opponents head, say if he shoots on you.

we do it in hockey some times, and soccer if your loosing bad enough.

Re: Street Clothing - 02/21/08 04:38 PM

I agree with the others definitely train in your everyday clothing learn to deliever your attacks and kicks alternate ways use the heel instead of the instep, same motion. Also using the shoe or boot adds to the power of your low lines kicks. Pending the foot wear its almost like BRASS KNUCKLES!! As mentioned kicks with steel toe boots to the shin or knee are quick near fight stoppers. The same kick barefooted with the ball of foot may or may not do much damage. But it takes a hellva man to take a full blast steel toe kick in the shin or knee and still want to fight. He may want but can he.

In any result he won't be as effective, the second kick to the other shin after a rain of head shots will change his mind or make him cry and we are talking a tough man. Most will crumble with 1st shin kick or second head shot.

Use your skill, the things on and around you to your advantage.

Student-of-life you guys are my kinda people, cheat its all apart of surviving pend on what you trying to win, if its a game I think not. Its just a game.
Posted by: kiwi_ninja

Re: Street Clothing - 02/22/08 04:38 AM

Hey guys, in regard to this pulling off your jacket stuff, if someone is looking to pick a fight or attack you, going to take off your jacket is going to give them a kinda large opening to pwn you. Me, I'd keep the jacket on and go in for the close range grapple/chokes.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Street Clothing - 02/22/08 12:07 PM

Originsl question: "Has Levi Strauss ever thought about SD and the use of jeans?"
Answer: No, but Chuck Norris did. He sold "Kickin Jeans" in the late 70's early 80's. You can probably see some ads in the old Karate magazines.

Clothing is definietly a factor in SD. You will not be able to move the same way in tight jeans or a suit the way you do in a dogi. Wearing a tie can get you choked.
If your're used to using the lapel for chokes, and do that in the street, the clothes can tear. There are a number of factors to consider.

So training in street clothes is important.

Re: Street Clothing - 02/22/08 04:47 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure this would qualify as typical street clothing, but Draggin Jeans makes 100% kevlar sweatshirts, jackets, and lined jeans for motorcyclists. Does anyone know how effective "soft knit kevlar" is against knives?
The weather here is really too warm most of the year, but I've often thought about a sweatshirt, and kevlar combat gloves for winter. Seems a bit paranoid, but if I'm going to wear them anyway, there is nothing wrong with them serving a dual purpose.

The Firing Range That I Often Visit Has A Fair Number Of Law Enforcemnt Officers Who Enjoy Talking Shop. Also I Work For A Buisness That Is Somewhat Involved With The Military. The Post Of Yours That I Quoted Concerns Me About What People Know Or Don't About Kevlar Wear.

The Kind Of Kevlar That You Are Refering To Might Lessen The Extent Of Injury From A Wreck On A Motorcycle Or If Rolling Around On The Pavement During A Fight. And Those Kevlar Gloves Might Offer A Limited Ammount Of Protection From A Knife Slash.

Yet Kevlar Will Do Little If Anything To Protect You From Knife Attacks. The Level Of Protection From A Slash Is Minimal And From A Thrust Even Less. The Kevlar Works Far Better In Layers. Simply Put Less Thread Means Less Protection.

The Kevlar Made For Military And Law Enforcement Consists Of Multi-Layers. Even Then Is Usually Enforced By Trauma Plates. The Idea Being To Protect Against Firearms And Not Knives. Again Kevlar Might Reduce The Risk Of Injury Yet Will Not Stop Knives.

Re: Street Clothing - 02/22/08 05:06 PM

To Keep The Jacket On Not? Most Fights That I Have Ever Seen And What Few (Thankfully!) I have Been Involved With Are Explosive By Nature. There's No Time For Striking A Fighting Pose Or Thinking About Keeping Or Losing A Jacket.

Where I Given A Choice A Jacket Would Go. There Is A Possiblity The Jacket Might Keep Me From Getting Scratched Up As Much On The Floor Or Pavement. Yet It Also Provides The Opponent Something Better To Grip And Hold Me With. Not To Mention The Upper Body Mobility For Me Is Gone.

The Problem With Jeans From My Experience Is The Design. Some Are Loose Fitting Which Benifits A Great Deal. Why People Like Tight Jeans Is Beyond Me. Besides If Mobility Is That Great Of A Concern Why Not Wear A Pair Of Dockers Or Something Else Loose Fit?

About Those Boots. Being From CMA Background I Have Always Worn Shoes In Class And Wear Tennis Shoes Or Dress Shoes Outside Class Except For Work. The Mobility Level Is Far Superior In The Former Kind Of Footwear. Kicking Somebody With Steel Toed Boots Probably Would Be Effective. Yet Gives Up Comfort And Mobility.

Although I Happen To Agree With The Idea Of Practicing In Street Clothes To An Extent. That's Not Something I'd Do In Class As It Would Be Difficult To Stretch. It Would Also Hurt To Land On My Keys Or Pocket Knife. Practice At Home Should Consist Of Training In Street Clothes To Recognize Differences And Compensate By Modifying Technique.

Re: Street Clothing - 02/22/08 05:33 PM

A good casual thing to do is to shadow boxing or work the heavy bag in your street clothes, you will feel and see the pull that restrain your movement. You really don't feel the restrain in a fight the AD dump usually pushes you past that.

But a AD dump won't stop you from slipping or sliding so get use to what you can do in your casual everyday clothing.

As for time to disrob, I've seen guys come out of a Jacket or sweather that was being pulled over his head so the guy can co-mist to start whooping on him. Sometimes you have no choice but to get out of it or try to fight blind/covered!
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Street Clothing - 02/22/08 11:13 PM

What I wear practically every day, it basically what I train in. Not that different at all. T-shirt, shorts (all year round) wrestling shoes.

Stripping off the shirt isn't always going to be a viable option for sure. However this is a fairly common tactic among hard-core fighters (prisoners, etc).

Probably would be a good idea to train in a variety of clothings.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Street Clothing - 02/23/08 01:16 AM

it does make a difference in training. also the temperature. try the same 2-person drills that you do all toasty warm in uniform or shorts, in 10 degree F with a puffy jacket and gloves.

concepts like PP strikes, eye rakes, punch grabbing, body shots and kicking above the waist suddenly disappear from the training curriculum.

grappling range, forearm strikes, knees, and head targeting with elbows tend to come more in play.
Posted by: Jim933

Re: Street Clothing - 02/27/08 12:16 AM

One can purchase "BDU's" at an Army/Navy surplus store. Get the black, blue or tan ones and they will easily pass for Cargo pants. you can get them in cotton/poly that is heavier weight than ripstop weave, which is good for hot weather. They are tough as nails but not heavy, restrictive and stiff like jeans. The front pockets are deep enough for concealed carry of a small semi or revolver(for those of use fortunate enough to live where a citizen can )

Wearing a jacket in cold weather...keep it zipped. makes it harder to have it pulled over your head.

a neck tie is nothing more than a noose.

a decent pair of steel-toed sneakers can be purchased. (yes sneakers)or lightweight/steel toed street boots like the police wear. They are comfortable, you can run in them and will protect against getting your foot stomped. Keep in mind that the FBI lists them as a "deadly weapon" on their site ( FBI.org) right up there with baseball bats, knives, battons, saps, etc.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Street Clothing - 02/27/08 10:27 AM

LOL. Never heard of steel-toed sneakers!
Posted by: Jim933

Re: Street Clothing - 02/28/08 12:42 AM

They may pull this link as an "advertisement", but I'm only including it to show that, yes there are such things as "steel toed sneakers" odd as that may seem.

If they pull the link just google "steel toed sneakers" ( in quotes) you should pull up allot of hits.

Live well
http://www.wildfree.com/prods/dm7a85cij59.html
Posted by: trevek

Re: Street Clothing - 03/01/08 06:50 AM

We used to have them in the factory where I worked. Also, might be useful if hill running where there are rocks.

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/products.php?cat=Trainer%20Shoes&all=true

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr2373.html

Re: Street Clothing - 03/01/08 06:54 AM

I think Levi-Strauss probably did. Don't forget that his jeans were for work, not for fashion, so they had to be comfortable for things like building and for horse riding.

What they weren't was fashion accessories, so they would have been comfortable enough to move in, rather than tight enough to show your sex and religion (which is hard for kicking, unless they are Chuck Norris jeans).

Re: Street Clothing - 03/01/08 06:58 AM

Quote:

throwing a jacket towards them can give you that split second to make your first strike and follow it up.

Doesn't taking off your jacket also give them several more seconds to make their first strike?

Then again, if they are trying to mug you then everything they want is probably in the jacket pockets...