Fighting without anger?

Posted by: Ghostfighter

Fighting without anger? - 06/12/05 07:30 PM

Do you have to be angry to be able to win in a streetfight? Like if someone is filled with fury and wants to attack me and im unable too make myself angry to want to fight but i cant run away.
Can i still be able to kick his ass if i fight without being angry? Will i be in a disadvantage? Maybe even perhaps at an advantage in some way?
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Fighting without anger? - 06/12/05 09:29 PM

Quote:

Do you have to be angry to be able to win in a streetfight?

More streetfight nonsense! No you don't,but it' better to try and not participate.

Quote:

Like if someone is filled with fury and wants to attack me and im unable too make myself angry to want to fight but i cant run away.

You want to fight? Why? What do you have to prove?Why can't you run? Strange questions!

Quote:

Can i still be able to kick his ass if i fight without being angry? Will i be in a disadvantage? Maybe even perhaps at an advantage in some way?

I think it's better to keep your presence of mind than be filled with rage.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Fighting without anger? - 06/13/05 01:36 AM

Emotions cloud your mind and remove all tactical ability. You cannot exploit a weakness when you are enraged because you are too caught up with your own anger.

Do yourself a favour and keep away from streetfighting, it's probably illegal in your country and really it's just plain stupid. If you have to defend yourself, do so with the aim of escaping danger, rather than 'winning' the fight.
Posted by: Dack9

Re: Fighting without anger? - 06/13/05 03:48 AM

I have learned to, and practise fighting with no emotion whatsoever. Self restraint without emotion requires a high level of discipline. I do very little if any sparring in a dojo situation, any fighting that i do, is self defence on the street. If you are angry you get sloppy and outpace yourself. It is best to achieve a state of outward vision.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Fighting without anger? - 06/13/05 04:03 AM

Do you need to be in love to have sex?

Ooops, sorry, Sgt.Sanchin31.

Read Musashi's Book of 5 Rings. All the answers are there.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Fighting without anger? - 06/13/05 07:01 AM

Good analogy.
Posted by: Zezima

Re: Fighting without anger? - 07/20/05 04:40 PM

Angry is a bad thing, this usually means that the angry person will do things without thinking, when im angry i dont think at all and do stupid things, but as i'm getting older im learning to calm myself and not get hotheaded, i've got into one fight in the past year and was as calm as i possible could, my friend was worked up (over a goal ... that he didn't score.. ) anyway he just flew at me and i(with no MA experience) was able to just deflect his attack and just counter his attacks with ease, he tired and i just seized the opportunity to strike, i took him down with a simple leg sweep, wrapped his arms round his back and talked to him and he calmed down.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Fighting without anger? - 07/20/05 05:23 PM

In my opinion I can fight best when I have a controlled anger or sense of righteous indignation. If you can focus your anger it can help you. In other words you are fighting for a cause that you believe in. However, blind rage will get you hurt or killed. Uncontrolled anger will diminish your fighting skills and thinking ability. I have felt a certain amount of fear before a situation but then reach a point that I no longer fill fear and I just react. That's why I believe in doing all you can to avoid a confrontation because if you HAVE to fight then you will know you're right and you will fight better. I believe that if you have the moral high ground you will fight better. If I tried my best to treat someone right and take some crap in order to avoid a confrontation then if I get backed into a corner I'm going to be ruthless, I know it's not my fault, I did my best to avoid the problem.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Fighting without anger? - 07/20/05 05:56 PM

Intrepidinv1,
Almost spot on.
As MAs we should all be angry at someone that has caused us to use our skills.
Just because you are angry doesn't mean you should lose control. There is a big difference.
However, do not underestimate blind rage.
Blind rage is one of the most fearsome things you can witness.
A neighbour of mine, a guy of about 9 stone, fought off 4 Police officers in blind rage. It eventually took 7 to get him under control.
It's all about adrenaline and how you use it.
Posted by: Intrepidinv1

Re: Fighting without anger? - 07/20/05 06:52 PM

Very good points. I guess I was thinking of the right side of things considering blind rage. This guy was obviously a law breaker and was under the influence of blind rage. So it had a negative outcome here.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Fighting without anger? - 07/22/05 11:38 AM

I believe the key is to fight with passion and control your anger until contact is made, then you put the extra Ummp in your technique.

Fighting totally in control sometimes lack passion and you can be caught cold, trying to stop the attacker instead of meeting and disolving his attacks or motion can leave U in a disadvantage. Sometimes even sparring if a persons really starts aggressive and you are not ready for it, U can get caught cold and they can hurt you before you can raise to the challenge.

Thats one thing sparring has taught me, No Matter how small or slight of size if they get in the square its all out not power but techniques until I'm in control and meet his challenge, if he's caught cold then it's his lesson to learn. And since he or she is my partner I'll point it out, but I won't slack up after we have broke it down and devised a defense. They have to stop the technique or attack on their own. It doesn't help them to slack up and make them think they can stop it if they can't. I'm talking equal rank or level, not teaching students. But at a certain level even students.

You have to fight with passion in each technique, in order to meet a aggressive person fury, if not you will be absorbed and overwhealmed even if he or she is a lot smaller. NEVER TAKE ANYONE FOR GRANTED.

How amny Bouncer/Security or Cop have been overwhealmed by this little spit fire woman 5'1 102lbs giving it all she have.

You grab in a bear hug thinking that will stop her, she bites you in the chest and knees you in the balls and pushes you down, now she on top of you wailing away or trying to Get Your Gun!!!

You should have body slamed her!!! You got to meet her fury.