How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor

Posted by: Anonymous

How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/20/05 10:31 PM

i was introduced to the concept of ki a couple of years ago however my dad said i had to stop practicing. i was wondering what i could do just by my self in my room to become better at using my ki without an instructor. i can already get the feeling like i have repelling magnets in my hand but i can't get past there. what do i do?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/20/05 11:10 PM

There is no replacement for direct transmission. You need an instructor.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/21/05 04:20 PM

You could probably take you self training a "little" bit further reading some of b.k. frantzis books like "opening the energy gates of your body" and "Taoist Water Meditation Vol. 1" but those will only take you so far and the author will repeatedly tell you to seek a teacher out.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/21/05 05:21 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jet:
i was wondering what i could do just by my self in my room to become better at using my ki without an instructor. i can already get the feeling like i have repelling magnets in my hand but i can't get past there. what do i do?[/QUOTE]

Ki is life. When you really have your ki, it's a "nothing special" feeling. Most imaginary visualizations take you further from it.

The best way to get closer to it is to get closer to nature. Get outside more--not in your room. Observe the interconnected system of earth and sky, water and sun and wind, that moves continuously without effort or input of artificial energy. The same system supports you, your existence and your survival.

Walk a lot, pay attention to the reactions in your body when various parts of your feet press the ground, study how the parts of the body all coordinate to do something as simple as walking. Pay attention to this, but don't lose touch with the world around you. Experience it as a part of it.

The body is entirely covered with sense organs. Listen to what you hear and feel, not to what you make up in your mind.

Best of luck.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/21/05 10:43 PM

I ended up discovering the power of Chi through an accident in my training with the Bo. I would take deep natural breaths while thinking of a color. The brighter the color the stronger the strike was. Eventually I got this to the point where I could think of a color and breathe with my strike instantaneously to get the amount of power I wanted. It took me about 3 months to perfect it since I was on my own. This was about 9 or 10 years ago.

This might help you out a little but I always got better results when I asked my martial arts instructor about Chi later on and he taught me a meditation method and some stuff about good Kiai.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/23/05 11:12 PM

I'm not a master or anything just a student like you but I have to disagree with laf7773 just because that goes against logic. I mean if the instructor learned from his instructore eventually someone must have discovered this stuff on their own. It's probably better actually to learn a little bit on your own otherwise we will never change and improve. We need to explore and discover this field other wise it will die out. But thats just my opinion. Oh and I dont have any direct advise for you Jet but I suggest watching the movie/documentary "what the bleep do we know". Hope I helped at least somewhat
Posted by: laf7773

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/24/05 12:57 AM

IMAs like any other martial art wasn't "developed" by one person centuries ago. The basic traditional systems were brought about as the culmination of experience from many. While a particular style may have a single individual as a point of origin, that style is a representation of that individual's view of effective combat within that time. Most traditional MAs were developed in a time when they were a necessary as a means for survival or combat. No form of martial arts simply sprung up from nowhere. They were a combination of combat experience, either on the battlefield or one on one, and philosophies of the founder of that particular art.

There is a big difference in conditioning yourself on your own and teaching yourself an art. The energy arts, combat or healing, are NOT something you can simply learn from a book, video or the internet. The gross majority of IMAs must be learned through direct transmission. Even with an instructor it can take years to understand the intricacies of even the most basic concepts. An instructor does much more than show you a technique. They are there to guide you and help you find the missing pieces to the puzzle that you could never find on your own even with a lifetime of training. Why? Because they have the years of experience of the teachers behind them. All you have is a video.

There is nothing to say you can't work out on your own. I train alone every day. What i don't do is try to teach myself something i don't already know. I only work on things i have been taught by various instructors and others i train with.

If you want to LEARN any MA you must have an instructor, especially if you are just starting out. The basics in any system are too vital to try and learn from any source other than a qualified instructor, they are your foundation. If you have a poor foundation you will never truly improve.

Find an instructor.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/24/05 09:19 AM

Your right my bad laf7773. There is no substitute for an instuctor. But if your a minor and your parents are old fashioned and against anything they dont understand then it couldn't hurt to just experiment with chi on your own. You may not get far but its better than nothing. But yeah jet, laf is right you should get an instructor once possible and actually if you know someone who is close to like a friend preferably and adult who knows a bit about chi it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/26/05 08:17 PM

It is always possible to learn on your own, however, if it is possible, I STRONGLY urge you to find an instructor. In regards to my advice for you...Live your life in search of Ki. When your walking down the street, lying in bed, practicing martial arts, or whatever. Always keep your mind open and in search of what you are looking for. With that, I leave you all in peace.

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/27/05 11:09 AM

ok thanks but for at least a year it will be impossible to get an instructor so if you could just tell me some basic stuff to keep it fresh that would be good thanks

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/27/05 12:32 PM

make a daily schedual starting with the basics that you know, so that you can keep a strong foundation. this is the most important step. in any continuing education. journal your progress. a journal can give you incite to you areas of growth and shortcomings. who knows it may come to pass that in the future you may no longer wish to practice MA(agaist my hopes). take this opportunity to study how to find cultivate happiness and balance in "ordinary" life. every one can learn to meditate sitting standing walking. this is its own life long endevor. above all learn to be happy with what you have and be open to the lessons that arise as they do. like aikikiai's........walk alot

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/27/05 01:07 PM

why did your dad have you stop???

Re: How do i get good with energy while not having an instructor - 04/27/05 03:59 PM

I already gave you the names of a couple books that will help you on your way. Your best bet is to read instructional books on meditiation, chi-kung, and chi in general. And then practice the basic stuff they outline. A lot.