Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame

Posted by: Anonymous

Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/20/05 10:52 AM

Hi everyone. First of all I am from Germany so my English is not that good so I'm sry if u don't understand what I'm talkin about.
I friend of mine told me to visit this page, he asked me if i wanted to learn shoting invisible balls of energy or something. i didn't belive what he said so i thought i come to see what this page offers to its visitors.
If I understand right then it is able to beat up enemys that are much stronger than you.
If this is right i wonder if i could learn it too. but it's very difficult and dangerous, isn't it? and i have to say that i have no experiences with fighting.
I hope anyone of you can tell me what exactly CHI is and what it's good for.

P.S: I know there will be moderators that will be angry at me because i just came here and ask something everyone at this board knows about but u know i'm from germany so it's hard for me to understand erverything.

greetz kasatka

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/20/05 12:13 PM

Greetings, Kasatka.
I am more or less new to this board myself but have much experience in the realm of Ki (inner energy). As for 'shooting invisible balls of energy', while it is possible to project ones energy, I don't believe it is quite the way most people picture it or think of it. It is more of a wave, but onto the latter part of your post.

It is possible to use Ki to increase ones natural attributes (strength, speed, agility, etc). But to do so you must first learn to cultivate and control your Ki. The first part is arguably easier then the second. It is my opinion and suggestion that you focus on that, then move on to learning control and then, eventually, to actually using the Ki to elevate your abilities beyond their normal levels.

-JK

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/20/05 02:08 PM

Talking about shooting Ki balls and stuff like that wont get you far on this forum. Ki balls don`t exist in the way your friend was probably thinking about. And they definitly don`t help you much to beat up stronger people.

Like most of the people here would suggest, I reccomend that you find an internal martial
arts (like tai chi) teacher or a qigong teacher if you want to learn about ki.

I suggest that you first look at some the other threads in this forum, they may answer some of you questions.

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/21/05 05:31 AM

Thanks for your answers. i guess i look for a techer as you told me. I already practiced a little. i read a few topics in the meditation board and tried it myself. well i don't think i did it right because i felt a kind of sick after a few minutes. it was like i was falling down a deep hole. now i know that i shoudn't do things like that on my own.

@Kosh: i did NOT come here to learn shooting KI-Balls and stuff, that's what my friend was talking about. i think it's because he's a big dbz fan (lol and he's 19 years old). and i will will surely don't write any dbz topics or something like that [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/21/05 05:33 AM

What kind of meditation have you tried?

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/21/05 05:45 AM

i found a link to that page http://www.dragonsofjustice.org/ in a topic. I tried Meditation 1: Dragon's prana door.

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/21/05 07:30 AM

I think that you "sucked" too much energy in the head with that technique. Try to distribute the energy through your entire body and don`t concentrate on your head too much.
Store your energy in the tan tien afterwards.
A simple example of this:

Put your hands above your navel and circle around the navel with your hands 12 times clockwise and 12 times counterclockwise. While you are doing this imagine (feel) qi gathering behind the navel.

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/21/05 07:34 AM

Hi Kasatka, your English is very good, far better than my German :

What exactly are you looking for? do you want to learn self defence? cultivation of chi energy? or a form of meditation?

Nearly any martial art, practised regularly with commitment will change you physically, mentally and spiritually.

Your body will become stronger and healthier, your self image and confidence will improve, most of all, you will probably find your reasons for training changing over time.

IMHO most young men (myself included) started learning karate, kung-fu etc. so that we could kick ass! Usually due to a poor self image or lack of confidence. (probably more than would admit it)

The long training and dicipline will bring about changes, in your physical body, in fighting skill and internal energy (chi) but only with many hours of hard work (or "kung-fu")

I am still training, learning to fight, to protect myself and others, but also for health, meditation and balance in my life.

Please keep away from any meditative techniques you find on the web, not that they are all bad, but all can have serious effects on your personality if not performed correctly under supervision.

A bit like learning to mix fireworks from a web page, you might get away with it, but it's so easy for it to blow up in your face!

In my own experience, Taiji, Hsing Yi or Bagua all have a deep meditative aspect to them that complements the physical and mental training. The same is true of many other arts, Akido, Karate, Taijutsu, Shaolin to name but a few.

If you have difficulty with any of the terms in this post, please write in German and my Austrian wife will read it to me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/22/05 03:33 AM

Thanks for all your posts. u're all very nice guys, didn't think that erveryone's helping me out, thanks for that. i am looking for learning self-defense but i didn't know what fighting style i should learn. many of my friends are kickboxing but i think it's too aggressiv. and my friends are just doing this to kick some people's asses. that's not the goal i'm looking for. i'am interested in bodycontrol and using chi to have a free mind. i think it can help me to be healthier in my everyday life. but i've always been interested in meditation too, so i'm looking for a fighting style that combines all that in one thing. i think tai chi is such a sport, isn't it? luckly there are some courses to learn it in germany because martial arts is not that popular around here.

greetz, kasatka

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/22/05 11:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kasatka:
Thanks for all your posts. u're all very nice guys, didn't think that erveryone's helping me out, thanks for that. i am looking for learning self-defense but i didn't know what fighting style i should learn. many of my friends are kickboxing but i think it's too aggressiv. and my friends are just doing this to kick some people's asses. that's not the goal i'm looking for. i'am interested in bodycontrol and using chi to have a free mind. i think it can help me to be healthier in my everyday life. but i've always been interested in meditation too, so i'm looking for a fighting style that combines all that in one thing. i think tai chi is such a sport, isn't it? luckly there are some courses to learn it in germany because martial arts is not that popular around here.

greetz, kasatka
[/QUOTE]

Tai chi is great to start but I think its also the hardest to find a good teacher for. So many tai chi people out there do not have a martial background in it. So while you may learn the forms and the healing practices of tai chi you won't be learning any self-defense/practical application.

I would make an equal search to find either a tai chi, hsing-i, or bagua (many spellings for each art) and try out each school and pick the one you enjoy most (Although I suspect you may have trouble just finding one of those arts in your area).

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/23/05 04:16 AM

Hi again Kasatka,
your latest post was very interesting, I feel much the same as you about kickboxing, it is very agressive and not to everyones taste.

I don't belittle it in any way, it is a fantastic sport, keeps you fit and can be applied to effective self defence.

I would like to make a suggestion, feel free to consider, or to ignore as you like [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] it's your choice.

See if you can find a school that teaches Xing Yi, or Hsing-I. This art was designed to be taught more quickly than Tai Chi and Bagua.

You will see results quite quickly and soon learn valuable fighting skills. It also introduces you to working with your chi or ki, and it is a great martial art. Within a couple of years you can make good progress.

After a while, you may feel drawn to study Bagua or Tai Chi which are related to Hsing-I and are sometimes taught together.

Hsing-I is very beautiful in it's simplicity, yet it has enough depth for a lifetime of study. Bagua is the youngest as a fighting art, but it has meditation practices that are 1000's of years old and is very Taoist, it was the syle preferred by imperial bodyguards to fight multiple opponents.

Tai Chi surprisingly, although it looks like a slow motion dance to most people, is one of the most efficient and deadly of all the martial arts. The problem is finding teachers who teach the complete art and it takes years to become proficient.

There was an old saying in China about the these styles, "One year to learn to kill (Hsing-I) Ten years to leave the classroom (Tai-Chi)" when discussing them as methods of training.

After training (on and off [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ) since 1968, starting with Judo, Karate, western boxing, sabre fencing and various chinese boxings, I wish I had known about Hsing-I, Bagua and Tai Chi back then... heck, i might even have been pretty good by now [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

ps. some links for you.. http://www.taijiquan.de/ http://www.lijing.org/ http://www.nei-gung.de/wutang

[This message has been edited by breely (edited 03-23-2005).]
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/23/05 06:34 AM

Nice posts breely.
If you don't mind me asking, what internal arts do you train?

Regards

Chris

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/23/05 09:11 AM

Hi Chris/Fisherman.

Thanks for your comment.

My training? let's see.....

Learning Yang Tai Chi sword form from a video and book.
Sun Luc Tang's Tai Chi/Bagua/Hsing-I principles in a combat taichi class.
I also practise solo training Yin Fu Baguazhang, I particularly like the circle walking, palm changes, kung-fu body training and the chi-kung aspects.

This is only over the last seven years or so as I stopped training for ages when I was in different circumstances.

Out of them all, Bagua does it for me, no high kicks (at my age it's so undignified [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] ), good aerobic workout, improved health and excellent meditation and chi development. Not to mention the most excellent fighting principles that can be learned.

I am interested in all forms of martial art and research chin na, jujitsu, knife fighting and many others.

Hope i haven't bored you to death with all this [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Alan
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Another Newb searching 4 some answers PLZ don't flame - 03/24/05 06:31 AM

Alan,
Nope, you didn't bore me with that post.
I share your affinity towards Bagua as well.
Myself, I train in the YiZong Gao Yi Sheng Baguazhang as taught by Luo Dexiu.
Have you ever heard of Bill (Arvo) Tucker?
He runs a school over in the UK, not sure where though.

Regards
Chris