How to learn ki

Posted by: Anonymous

How to learn ki - 03/11/05 05:17 AM

Hi

I'm totally new to this.
I don't study any kind of martial arts, and I'm not interested in "fighting", but I would like to explore ki and what good it can do for me and others..
I believe that learning to master ki techniques, can help improve my wellbeeing and everyday energy. And maybe also help others.

Can I learn Ki without learning anything like Twae Kon Do or Karate or any other kind of "fighting" arts?

As I'm living in a small place, here is not much posibilities around here, so I would have to selfstudy..

Is there any way to learn this by myself, is there any books on the subject? And how long will it normally take to reach a basic level?
I have downloaded a "Ki manual" by Skull Kid, where it gives training techniques for meditation, and visualization and some sort of ki techniques. Will this be possible to learn on my own??

Any advice on how to get started considering the limited possibilities of a small place??

The Edge

[This message has been edited by TheEdge (edited 03-11-2005).]

[This message has been edited by TheEdge (edited 03-11-2005).]
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: How to learn ki - 03/11/05 06:16 AM

First things first.
You can delete the Ki manual because it is a hoax. Somewhere within the threads here 'Skullkid' posted that he made the whole thing up. Don't waste your time with that garbage.

There are ways to learn how to 'use' qi without having to learn a martial art. However, self teaching any type of energetic work can potentialy be hazardous to your health.
The two energetic related practices that come to mind right off the bat for me are Qigong (Chi Gong or Chi Kung) and Reiki. I fyou are looking to keep yourself heathy qigong is a great tool for that. If you are looking at helping others, reiki would be an excellent choice. Or even better, you could do both.
Good luck,

Chris
Posted by: nenipp

Re: How to learn ki - 03/11/05 06:56 AM

I'd like to first of all agree to what Fisherman said.

Also I'd like to add that for us living in small obscure places, way offside from anyplace ever heard of, thers's always the possibility to visit seminars and training camps and if you are (or can get together) a group to fly in a good instructor now and then.

In the betweentime you can safely practice on your own (and within your local group), this is infinitely better than trying to learn on your own (from net/books alone)!

just my two cents

Re: How to learn ki - 03/11/05 09:46 AM

If skullkid came here and told everyone it was a hoax, I do not understand why he wouldn't get rid of his website? It makes no sense.

Just a thought.

-Joe-

Re: How to learn ki - 03/11/05 11:35 AM

Yeah, I thought that manual was kind of too good to be thrue.. I was anyway ready to follow it's advices. Sorry to read that it was just a hoax. I searched the forum, and found the post where Skull Kid admitted to have hoaxed it.. Thanks for warning me.

But I think I will anyway start to meditate daily, and to train on visualizaation. I guess these are basic skills for other good things aswell.. Any advice on meditational techniques?

Is there really nothing I can learn about ki on my own without endangering myself or others? A book to read on the subject or something..

Anyway, I think here is a small Tae Kon Do club here calling themselves somethin like "Wha Rang TDK" or something.. I'm not sure what Wha Rang stands for, if it is the style of Tae Kon do or something. But could this be a place to start? I mean, is ki a part of i.e. Tae Kon Do, so that I can learn about it there?

The Edge

Re: How to learn ki - 03/11/05 12:11 PM

Well, I practice Aikido, the Iwama style, we have the vision that trough training Ki will come out (wether this is Aikido, Teakwando or Karate doesn't matter that much, only some styles have more attention to this Ki)

But still, if you want your Ki to be a weapon you still have to use in a punch of kick, so the basics are essential, daily meditation is a good beginning!

Just remember, don't stress yourself out, it will take much time to become good...

Kind regards,

KMBA

Re: How to learn ki - 03/11/05 12:17 PM

Might you be talking about Hwarangdo (Hwa Rang Do)? I am not sure that Hwa Rang Tae Kwon Do would make much sense...

Anyway...Hwa Rang means "Flowering Manhood" in Korean.

HTH!

Re: How to learn ki - 03/14/05 10:15 AM

Getting an instructor like many people say is the besy way to get started,But you can also pick up useful things from Books about Chi.I recommend getting:

'Qigong for health and vitality'

The book covers the history of Qi and ways to use it.It is a very descriptive book with pictures to help learn some Qi excersises and their movements..