Clearing the fog

Posted by: Anonymous

Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 07:07 AM

Ok this post is about clearing 'scatter of the mind.'

Ok for those that don't know (although I think most of you do) it is important to keep a healthy mind. Buddha said to a bhikkuini (female monk) who was trying to gain supernatural powers to be able to see through her ears that she has perfectly good use of her eyes - why try to see through her ears?

He said that EXTREMLY FEW people actually have perfect mental health. This can be fixed by realising nirvana (becoming enlightened = an arahat/buddha).

This is not an easy task - most will never achieve it...But their is a 'but' coming...lol

But - We can see our faults by clearing our minds - to gain a one-pointedness of mind.

If we become used to using a one -pointedness of mind when it is most usefull then this will help you see clearly - and many answers that we seek on these forums will reveal themselves to us.

Insight meditation is great for this. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Clear your minds of greed, hatred & delusion.
Greed for supernatural powers - I say goodbye.
Hatred of others, goodbye.
& delusion of kame-hame-has, & delusion that I am of perfect mental health goodbye.

We must accept that we are not of perfect mental health - and aim to constantly improve, not for power but for something much better...

Right concentration is needed - right thoughts are needed (positive). Hold that thought!
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 08:14 AM

Another way to clear the scattering of the mind...

QUIT SMOKING WEED!

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 08:20 AM

I think it helps. You should try it. Why do you think Bruce Lee smoked it? Don't know what you haven't tried - I suppose alcohol is 'OK' because it is legal...NOT! Its worse.

Cannabis clears the mind.

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 01:30 PM

Bruce Lee did not smoke weed. That is a rumor made up by the same tabloids that said he weas having an affair right before he died.

Bruce Lee was always watching very carefully over his health in order to continue being the great martial artist he was. If he stayed away from cigarettes then obviously he know that smoking was bad no matter what exactly you were smoking.
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 01:49 PM

am I the only one who doesn't know wether to laugh or cry? (reading this thread)

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 01:52 PM

Maybe he smoked it when he was a teenager or something and not when he was older.
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 01:59 PM

The rumors of Lee smoking pot came from the fact that cannabis was found in his stomach. I haven't seen any evidence that Lee was a pot smoker. There is evidence in the contrary since the autopsy found no THC in his system, only a small amount of cannabis in his stomach. Something examiners said had nothing to do with his death.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 05:06 PM

If you are using pot when you practice you are only cheating yourself. I say this because you are not using your mind on it's own and thus you are not strengthening your minds capabilities.

"Cannabis clears the mind"

I disagree - it gives you the illusion that you are clearing the mind when you are actually inhibiting it. Sure, cannabis may help you focus really well on one thing, but that is just one thing. When training an IMA you are focusing on more than one thing at a time, and nothing at all at the same time.

If you are using any psychotropicic substance to 'enhance' your practice you are just using it as a crutch to relax.
What will happen when you don't have access to it? Will your so called abilities be as great?

[This message has been edited by Fisherman (edited 01-26-2005).]

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/26/05 08:11 PM

Cannibis actually inhibits the frontal lobe (the part that allows you to make good judgements).

Re: Clearing the fog - 01/27/05 02:18 AM

I found that canabis distorts the mind.
(This comming from me, a ex-once a day smoker). Being does though open your mind up, but even though its open, I find that my brain function is to limited to know what the hell Im thinking about. And this is why I sometimes think of rediculous things that I write down on paper, then in the morning realize that its all a load of crap, even though I was convinced at the time of writing it, It was correct.

I also get extreme paranoia while stoned, which is a huge fact why I quit, aswell as my social life, and fighting life needed improving. But while stoned I started to think my friends where against me, backstabbing me ect. This of course wasn't the case.

My conclusion: Weed = bad, doesnt clear the mind, thats a bad illusion to have.

To clear your mind you need practice and self-disciplin while meditating.
Do it like the MONKS ! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]