I'm new, enlighten me.......

Posted by: Anonymous

I'm new, enlighten me....... - 10/25/04 01:53 PM

Okay, I'm new here, so please don't be insulted by my comments.
I have been looking for any credible information on "ki" that I can find without enrolling in a dojo or something. I have seen the dumb cartoons and anime and am not impressed. That out of the way, I am asking three questions.
First; why is it so damn hard to find any REAL information concerning "ki". It seems something so remarkable would get more attention.
Next; what makes even you guys so knowlegeable? I have run into 12 year olds hiding behind the internet who claim to know so much...and they sound similar to you guys here. Honestly, why should I believe anything you say?
And finally; what is the extent of ki's power? I don't want to hear the "boundless universal energy limited only by your preception" bullcrap. I see healing and harming. Can you punch someone with a "charged" fist? Can you really increase your awareness? Is it really worth my time?
There's the "self-improvement" speech I've been getting, but that's kind of stupid; going on a diet is "self-improvement".

Anyway, fill me in. Give me the speech you give all the noobs....but please don't treat me like an idiot. I know just a little more then I'm letting on.

Re: I'm new, enlighten me....... - 10/25/04 02:41 PM

Every one has a certain amount of power, Its up to you to develop it, You have techniques allready ?? Wake, live and before you sleep they must be practiced. Breath, meditating, focus, diet is also apart of obtaining great internal power. Your best way to find the answers is find a Ba Gua, Qi Gong, Hsing-I, TaiChi or Zen master to help you one on one with your question's and will give the best insight and guidence. Other than that check these books and links I've provided for you.

I found this and it's very interesting please read. http://www.taijiworld.com/Articles/Internal_Power.htm

I have read this book, pretty good, http://www.northatlanticbooks.com/products/1556432534.html

Here is another great book "Zen in the Martial Arts" also the other book on this page "living the martial way" I Highly reccomend http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553275593/103-8048280-2187029?v=glance

another good link http://www.shotokai.cl/otras_artes/introzen.html
Posted by: nenipp

Re: I'm new, enlighten me....... - 10/25/04 03:19 PM

I have run into 12 year olds hiding behind the internet who claim to know so much...and they sound similar to you guys here. Honestly, why should I believe anything you say?

Oh my, I must review the regulars' posts on this forum, never realised we sound like twelve-year-olds... well, nothing wrong with 12-year-olds!
Honestly, why should I give a rat's posterior about what you believe or not?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: I'm new, enlighten me....... - 10/25/04 03:33 PM

Well Jason, let me start by welcoming you to the forum. Let's get to your question and post.

[QUOTE]I have been looking for any credible information on "ki" that I can find without enrolling in a dojo or something.[/QUOTE]

There is a lot out there but you have to have a working knowledge of chi or the IMA's to be able to sift through the BS in order to find it. Early on you need to have instruction from someone who knows what they are doing. You don't always need to join a school but you do need to work in person with a knowledgeable individual.

[QUOTE] I have seen the dumb cartoons and anime and am not impressed.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good start.

[QUOTE]First; why is it so damn hard to find any REAL information concerning "ki". It seems something so remarkable would get more attention.[/QUOTE]

Like i said, you have to know what you are looking for. If your doing a web search for "ki" a large majority you will come up with is DBZ garbage.

[QUOTE]Next; what makes even you guys so knowlegeable?[/QUOTE]

Experience. Some of the people here have been training longer than you have been alive.

[QUOTE]I have run into 12 year olds hiding behind the internet who claim to know so much...and they sound similar to you guys here.[/QUOTE]

The problem with these kids is they have no training, or very little, and are only REPEATING what they have read or heard. Most of the time their results are based more on an over active imagination than on training.

[QUOTE]Honestly, why should I believe anything you say?[/QUOTE]

You should believe what you want. Before you do take anyone’s word for truth you should find a teacher that knows what he is doing, someone who has legitimate experience and an honest lineage. Lineage isn't always that important in other MA styles but when it comes to IMA it is. There is a lot of fakes and frauds out there, some are intentional others are simply mislead by someone else.

[QUOTE]And finally; what is the extent of ki's power?[/QUOTE]

It all depends on the practitioner. There are a lot that can be done with chi. Chi can't be used to effect things physically in the way of ki blasts, ki flames and so on. The "power" you get from improved chi circulation is due in part to proper body mechanics and improved muscle and bone density as a result of qigong and similar exercises.

[QUOTE]I don't want to hear the "boundless universal energy limited only by your preception" bullcrap.[/QUOTE]

People who tell you this don't understand the uses of chi. The uses of chi are limited, but the limits may be well beyond some individuals.

[QUOTE]Can you punch someone with a "charged" fist?[/QUOTE]

No. You can increase punching power with exercises designed to increase chi flow. The exercises used to increase chi flow work on proper body alignment and body mechanics; the same things needed to make your body more stable and increase your punching power. You can transfer chi in order to disrupt the chi flow of another in order to get an advantage.

[QUOTE]Can you really increase your awareness?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not necessarily with chi. It is possible to sense a persons "intent". There is also the notion that one person’s chi doesn't mesh well with other and can be felt.

[QUOTE]Is it really worth my time?[/QUTOE]

It depends on what you are looking for. This type of training isn't for everyone.

[QUOTE]There's the "self-improvement" speech I've been getting, but that's kind of stupid; going on a diet is "self-improvement".[/QUOTE]

Educating yourself is self-improvement. Why limit yourself? Proper chi circulation improves your bodies natural functions causing it to work more efficiently. This coupled with proper diet will greatly improve your health.

[QUOTE]Anyway, fill me in. Give me the speech you give all the noobs....but please don't treat me like an idiot. I know just a little more then I'm letting on.[/QUOTE]

Now, there isn't a "speech" we give all the "noobs". You will not be treated like an idiot if you don't act like one. If you are respectful you will be treated in kind. Being condescending and deceitful isn't a good way of getting the answers you are looking for.

Now it's your turn. What is your experience? How much do you "know"?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: I'm new, enlighten me....... - 10/25/04 03:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nenipp:
"I have run into 12 year olds hiding behind the internet who claim to know so much...and they sound similar to you guys here. Honestly, why should I believe anything you say?"

Oh my, I must review the regulars' posts on this forum, never realised we sound like twelve-year-olds... well, nothing wrong with 12-year-olds!
Honestly, why should I give a rat's posterior about what you believe or not?
[/QUOTE]

Maybe Jason hasn't bothered to read some of the more informative threads here and has only viewed those that are concerned with ki blasts and such. The radki guys tend to avoid serious discussions of chi and IMAs with people who know what they are talking about. A good thing in my opinion.

Re: I'm new, enlighten me....... - 10/26/04 06:22 AM

I want to thank all of you for your helpful information. I apologize for being rude and condesending. I am just frusturated with my search for information because it usually does turn out to be people my age or younger who are writing all kinds of bullcrap. I don't mean disrespect to anyone here; I don't think you sound like 12 year olds, but sometimes it IS hard to tell. The internet sucks like that. I don't know what "radki" is, but it sounds bad, so I think I'll stay away from it. I haven't read any of the "more informitive threads" because I don't really know which to look at? Which do you suggest? I lied about knowing more than I let on to avoid being told false information (it works on other things) I have picked up a few books though. I understand that experience is superior to book knowledge. That's why I asked all those questions. Again, thank you and I'm sorry for being rude....