When to move ahead...

Posted by: Anonymous

When to move ahead... - 10/17/04 04:04 PM

When working with a teacher, I am sure that the teacher will let you know when you are ready to increase the difficulty level of whatever you are doing. Most people here, who have teachers or not, still do practice some things on there own time though, no? Yes?

My question is very general, and could be asked in almost any forum for MA or even just exercise, but since I am mainly talking about strength of structure, I will post here.

Question: When training, I tend to want to stick with my current difficulty level until I 'master' it, but eventually I stagnate and no longer make progress. If I increase the difficulty level, (add weights, add layers to the form...ect...) I begin to make progress again, but I can't help but think I should have mastered the previous difficulty level before moving on. ??How do you know when it is the right time to 'step it up a notch' (increase difficulty)??

Re: When to move ahead... - 10/23/04 05:11 PM

Bump,
was my question inapropriate somehow?
Posted by: laf7773

Re: When to move ahead... - 10/23/04 08:52 PM

I wouldn't say inappropriate, maybe just lost in the shuffle.

I would suggest instead of waiting till you "master" certain aspects of training before you move on, maybe step it up a little once your proficient. Even if you feel you have "mastered" a certain level of training and move things up a bit, if you go back a level or two you will notice new subtleties that you didn't pick up on before. Improving doesn't always mean moving forward. Basics like stances and breathing should always be revisited, especially in IMA. If your working on new techniques you can practice them till you are proficient at them but may need to return to basic movements within the techniques and look closely at the body mechanics if you intend to really improve or master them.

I hope this is close to what you are looking for.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: When to move ahead... - 10/24/04 08:37 AM

Good point laf

Everytime that I gain a new piece of the puzzle I have to go back and see where it fits into the whole picture.
Rather than exercising techniques I prefer to train concepts and principles. These can be expanded and manipulated in so many ways that there is unlimited learning to be had.

Anytime I 'get' or feel something new when I'm training I go back to the basics and feel how it is incorperated.

"Most people here, who have teachers or not, still do practice some things on there own time though, no? Yes?"
IMHO - you have to if you ever wish to make progress in your art. You have to train something until it become your own.

How do you know when it's time to step up the difficulty?
I think you answered your own question.
When it begins to stagnate - you have to do things to keep you art fresh and alive otherwise it will deteriorate and die.

Chris

Re: When to move ahead... - 10/24/04 08:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fisherman:

I think you answered your own question.
When it begins to stagnate - you have to do things to keep you art fresh and alive otherwise it will deteriorate and die.

Chris
[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys, I think I just start to feel as if I am being foolish and impatient when I have to change my training before I 'master it'. It's good to know that I am not the only one who has to go backward and forward time and time again. I guess this concept isn't really new to me, but I am not used to the pace of change in learning and applying some of the training I am doing.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by laf7773:
Improving doesn't always mean moving forward. Basics like stances and breathing should always be revisited, especially in IMA.
[/QUOTE]

Speaking of revisiting basics, reviewing my approach to learning is very basic, huh? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks again,
steve

Re: When to move ahead... - 10/24/04 10:17 PM

It's a basic concept that is very needed in all training. Unfortunately it's overlooked or ignored by many in the MAs today, and they wonder why they aren't effective outside the dojo.

Re: When to move ahead... - 03/04/05 12:24 AM

bump