An introduction thread...

Posted by: Fisherman

An introduction thread... - 09/14/04 07:48 AM

Hey everybody;
In light of so many newb's hitting the forum I thought that it might be a good idea if we all introduced ourselves.
1. Who are you?
2. Background
3. Currently training in (fill in the blank)

I think that this general info will help us all to understand where people are comming from when they enter their posts.

And so....
My name is Chris, I live in the Denver area in Colorado, USA.
My first exposure to the martial arts was in 1996 @ the Chinese Shaolin Center where I trained until 2000/2001. In my time there I gained experience in empty hand forms (coordination) weapons forms, sparring etc. After receiving my black belt I began thinking that I wanted to perfect my skills in one style of MA. This especially came to light when one of my current instructors blasted me with a Beng Chuan in gloved sparring. That was pretty much when I decided that I wanted to learn what he was dishing out.
In 2001 I began to train in the GaoYiSheng branch of Baguazhang. This branch closely incorperates Heibei style Xingyiquan.
My first teacher was Marcus Brinkman a student of Hong Yxiang's and senior student of Luo Dexiu in Taiwan. After Mr. Brinkman left a couple of years ago I was very fortunate to have been invited to train under his 2 senior students Owen & Bill. Through the great generosity of Owen and Bill I feel that I have come to have a good understanding of the fundamentals of IMA's (@ least Bagua and Xingyi - not so much for Taiji). I am currently training with these 2 guys two days a week and countless hours on my own.

So, it's your turn. It's not my intention to blast those here that have lesser or no experience. Lord knows that there is always someone out there that knows more than you do. I am just curious. It may also help people get more solid answers to their questions if they know which people to ask.

Eagerly awaiting your replies...
Chris

(Kempo & laf, if you guys think that this thread might be too much then just zap it with the almighty moderator ray)
Posted by: nenipp

Re: An introduction thread... - 09/14/04 03:05 PM

This is a great idea, let it be known once and for all that I have no IMA background (this way I won't feel I have to repeat it every once in a while in my posts)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: An introduction thread... - 09/15/04 12:26 AM

Im Chris
Im 15 and I live in plainfield, illinois.
I have read and practiced martial arts from books but am starting karate next week. I have practiced Aikido, Pressure point fighting, and a little taichi.

[This message has been edited by XHYperInuyashaX (edited 09-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by XHYperInuyashaX (edited 09-15-2004).]

Re: An introduction thread... - 09/15/04 03:57 PM

I staretd in Hsiao Chuan Fa, kungfu style at 8 years old. Then started CMC Yang Taiji, Hsing Yi, and Pakuachang at 14.I taught a little CMC Taiji at 19. DOn't anymore, and for Taiji, I'm not all that great. Still more to learn myself to acheive high level skill.
www.retreatsonline.net/kootenaytaichi/

I did TKD starting when I was 15 for 2 years

At 17 I started doing Dayan qigong and still learn it.
www.wellbeingnetwork.ca/kootenayqigong/

At 19 I started Muay Thai
www.pridegym.ca

at 21 I started Chen style with Eric Tuttle. He's moved now, but I still practice

Re: An introduction thread... - 09/16/04 10:28 AM

I also have no IMA background, and that is why I mostly ask questions rather than answer. I do a lot of weightlifting, running and I also have some limited gymnastics background. I don't have any formal martial arts training, except for a few classes of Brazilian Jujitsu, though I have, for a long time, been very interested in martial arts and would have been in martial arts classes as a child if my parents didn't sway me towards gymnastics.

As an adult, I began dieting, lifting weights, and running to recondition my body after years of highschool laziness and abuse, so that I may one day study martial arts if I found the right school. It has been years now of study and practice, -diet, sleep, exercise... And I have now, within the past year, been developing my interest in the Internal Martial Arts. Not to let the bottom fall out on my training, I have not decided to eliminate my previous exercises for new internal ones, but rather, I have been trying to integrate the more internal forms and concepts into my old regimen -The match up of my old and new is awesome so far, by the way!

I have only been learning from books, asking questions on this forum, and asking my Uncle questions -(who has studied Tijijuan and yoga for years, and is also a veteran book learner.) I have two martial arts schools that I have been looking into. One is mainly QiGong and Tijijuan. The other is a BaGuaZahng school. Did I spell them right?
Maybe I'll post a link to the websites some other time. I am not in too big of a hurry though, not that I can learn IMA's without an instructor, I'm just not sure what I want to do, and where I want to go with this.

I will tell you this, this last year of study has really done a great job of reducing my ego to shreds! I have never been so challenged physically and mentally before. The veteran Internal guys (and gals) have my respect!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Lucid Warrior (edited 09-16-2004).]

Re: An introduction thread... - 09/17/04 03:23 PM

Im game, im 21 and my background in martial arts are 2 years of tai kuan do. My study of IMA have been nothing but self taught. I have been doing my best at teaching myself to work with some internal force I felt, for the better part of 10 years. The only way to describe this practice and training is trial and error. Later I learned about chi, and that helped me focus my activities with it better. When I say trial and error, I really mean that. I have seen some of the negative consequenses of messing around with something you dont understand. Where am I now? Not that far, I have poor control over my chi. It seems to be very overwhelming when I sense it (or whatever thats called). My only guess is that I have a very strong chi but a lack of solid control over it. Thats why im seeking training. If anyone knows any tia chi of qigong schools in central illinois I can get in contact with it would be appriciated. I was totally honest here, so no flak from the vets please.

Re: An introduction thread... - 10/11/04 06:41 PM

Hey Fisherman,
I recently moved to the Denver area and have done a little training in the internal arts. I would like to get together with you and the guys you train with sometime in the near future. If you have time please feel free to contact me at andymaherjohn@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Andy

Re: An introduction thread... - 10/12/04 04:47 AM

Hey everybody;
Am The_wanderer i`m 16 years old i live in holland i`ve started out as a dbz-er but ive learnd that it`s not all that it seems it`s actualy nothing.
i`m currently training in ki-healing

Re: An introduction thread... - 10/15/04 09:17 AM

Hi all Im wushukid(kinda obvious)
Im 14yrs old I've been doing tkd for 8 years
I just started Tien shan Pai Kung-fu about 3 years ago and I've been training to be a koushu fighter for about a year and a half
I live In Maryland

Re: An introduction thread... - 10/26/04 07:31 AM

Hello, and Greetings from Denver, Colorado.
I'm new to this forum and I would like to say I really enjoy reading everyone’s opinions. I have studied taekwondo for over 15 years (almost a complete waste of time). I have also studied, for a very short period: Chen Man Ching’s Tai chi, Wailing White Crane, Lohan Kung-fu, and Dragon Body Bagua. Right now I study Li Zi Ming and Gao style Bagua under Sifu Bing Lee for about 2 years now. I think I have found the art that fits my style and an excellent teacher to
boot!

Jim

Re: An introduction thread... - 10/26/04 10:27 AM

Hi,im 16 yrs old and i'm from the UK i have been doing martial arts for 10 years. i started training at Tae Kwon Do by Ron Sergiue at the age of 6 until i was 12 and recieved my black belt. i then went onto Training with Keith Morgan at Jiu Jitsu for 4 years. He has taught me lots of useful techniques and i have the Utmost respect for him. i have been interested in energy arts for 2 years now. c ya round guys!

Re: An introduction thread... - 10/26/04 07:22 PM

Well im 15 years old and have had exposure to some Karate(age of 10). lately have been practicing magick(white) and telekinesis and started becoming more interested in Chi not to long ago.

Re: An introduction thread... - 11/16/04 07:18 AM

Good thing I had a read of this Topic..
My name is Benn, but you could have read the nickname for that one.. I live in Australia, unlike most people here, and don't train as much as what the rest of you seem to.. I did some form of Karate for three years (parents kinda pushed me into it..) and during the three years I worked as hard as I could, training at least one hour every night, plus 4 1-hour classes per week, and almost reached First Dan Black Belt.. That was from years 9-11.. I'm now 18, alot lazier, although I still train occasionally (few hours a week) but fast food and chocolate kinda restrict me a bit.. I don't really train with anyone.. alot of my friends are kinda narrow minded, so any time I try to talk about anything that hasn't been proved by science, the conversation gets disregarded and changes to last weeks football game =/
Anyway, I think that's enough from me.. I'll keep looking around the site some more =)

----
Oh, and no, I'm not going to ask how to "learn ki" =)

[This message has been edited by Benn (edited 11-16-2004).]
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: An introduction thread... - 11/16/04 11:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by b4gu4p14y3r:
Hello, and Greetings from Denver, Colorado.
I'm new to this forum and I would like to say I really enjoy reading everyone’s opinions. I have studied taekwondo for over 15 years (almost a complete waste of time). I have also studied, for a very short period: Chen Man Ching’s Tai chi, Wailing White Crane, Lohan Kung-fu, and Dragon Body Bagua. Right now I study Li Zi Ming and Gao style Bagua under Sifu Bing Lee for about 2 years now. I think I have found the art that fits my style and an excellent teacher to
boot!

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Jim...
Just curious as to where you teacher picked up his Gao Style? I haven't heard of him before and I have been doing Yizong Gao Style bagua for about 3+ years...
Feel free to email me
chaynes420@yahoo.com
Thanks in advance..

Chris