Joint openings

Posted by: Anonymous

Joint openings - 08/19/04 09:01 AM

Wow, no takers on the candle exercise.

This is a more anatomical question for y'all....

How have you guys "opened" different joints?

I just hung a new heavy bag in the basement and i was hitting it, trying to focus on keeping a steady inhale and exhale through my nose during a round, and then it happened.

I noticed all of a sudden my hips were moving much more fluidly then before. Since i was concentrating so much on the breathing, my hips relaxed.

I attribute this to the fact i wasnt thinking any more of winding up for the punches, in fact for the first time, i wasnt concerned at all for how hard they were since i was doing this segment of my bagwork more as a breathing coordination exercise.

Does anybody else have stories of how they discovered how to "open" a joint? How can we learn to open other joints, or keep make the ones we randomly learned how to "open", work faster?

Let me know what you guys think,

~ED

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 08-19-2004).]
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 12:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd
How have you guys "opened" different joints?
[/QUOTE]

Mostly stretching and strengthing exersizes.

Two new ones, one for the shoulders and one for the kwa.

Kwa:

Try walking up a set up steps on your knees. Jeebus this is hard, but it has done more to open the kwa than anything else I had been doing previously. Don't ask me why I did it, because my reply would have to be "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

Shoulders/Scapluar:

Take two chairs and place them in a position so that you can just place the palms of the hands on each chair. Stretch out into a inclined push-up position and hold. Once you can hold the position comfortably try to lower and raise your self thru a range of about 3-5 inches.

I noticed all of a sudden my hips were moving much more fluidly then before. Since i was concentrating so much on the breathing, my hips relaxed.
I attribute this to the fact i wasnt thinking any more of winding up for the punches, in fact for the first time, i wasnt concerned at all for how hard they were since i was doing this segment of my bagwork more as a breathing coordination exercise.
[/QUOTE]

Just make sure not to break the connection between the hips/shouldes by letting the spine twist. By using the kwa and meng men with the proper transfer of force this connection will whip you through the strike. It is very important to 'get the hell out of the way' of the force. Don't try and direct it with your arms just let it go.

Scott

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 12:49 PM

Scott,

Forgive my lack of understanding, but are you saying I should or shouldn't twist my spine?

i've been focusing on keeping my spine straight and turning from the dan tien /hip region, and turning my shoulders at the same time that my hips turn. When i do this, i feel a tightness in my quadriceps. I should mention i'm doing this from lunge posture.

I haven't heard of the kwa (is this your glutes?) but i had suspected lack of training in this area was hindering the full range of motion i acould acheive with my hips so i started doing hip swivels with my arms fully extended with five lb weights in them.

I guess my question is, to keep the connection do you view the plane of the torso as one, and try and move it in unison, or is there something more internal to do like wind up the spine like a spring or something?

i've been trying to hit heavy bag in lunge posture, by using the hip/torso rotation and coordinating a weight transfer from front leg to back. I dont think i quite have the mechanics down, because while this causes me to hit hard, i dont feel a force of the magnitude that i have to 'get the hell out of the way of'

Any help you could give, would be much appreciated.

MrEd

P.S. Maybe mr. master blaster left because i unveiled his trick in my candle thread?

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 12:57 PM

Scott,

just had a 'moment'....

I think you are saying to make sure to rotate the spine when rotating shoulder hip mechanism, rather then keeping the spine fixed and attempting to move the hips independently?

I can experience these two movements separately, if i concentrate on keeping my spine still or concentrate on rotating it.

Not sure which one generates the most power, as i am still at work...ahh, fridays. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

option 1 seems like better range of motion means more speed, i.e. more power

option 2 seems like you get power from a wind up (spring) approach

still slightly confused,
~Ed

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 01:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd:
Scott,

Forgive my lack of understanding, but are you saying I should or shouldn't twist my spine?
[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't. If the hips and shoulders are out of alignment then you will have a power leak, no matter how much you can generate from the legs/waist.

i've been focusing on keeping my spine straight and turning from the dan tien /hip region, and turning my shoulders at the same time that my hips turn. When i do this, i feel a tightness in my quadriceps. I should mention i'm doing this from lunge posture.
[/QUOTE]

There is a tension involved with the spine and the hip/shoulder connection must happen to transfer the power from the waist to the arm. Do not actively 'turn' the shoulders. What should happen is more of a load/release. I'll try to describe it (when you actually feel it you will never forget how to do it)...

Let's use brush-knee/twist as an example.

When the movement begins the load is placed on the rear leg/kwa and you should feel a coiling or winding effect from the foot through the leg and into the waist area. That 'load' should then be transferred forward and into the meng men and forward hip. As you step, this will release the load back to the other side and if you are aligned correctly you will feel 'whipped' forward.

It will be a rush and you will feel the power through the whole range of motion. Now there is more involved with the dan tien/reverse breathing thing but this should let you feel the correct 'path'.

I haven't heard of the kwa (is this your glutes?) but i had suspected lack of training in this area was hindering the full range of motion i acould acheive with my hips so i started doing hip swivels with my arms fully extended with five lb weights in them.
[/QUOTE]

The kwa (usually means) the connective tissues in the fold of the hips, so yes the glutes are included but not actively.

Hip swivels are great just slow down and really feel the stretch and pull of the tissue and tendons. Listen to them, they will teach you.

or is there something more internal to do like wind up the spine like a spring or something?
[/QUOTE]

Yes!

P.S. Maybe mr. master blaster left because i unveiled his trick in my candle thread?
[/QUOTE]

Frauds never like to be called out. You are a bad boy! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Scott

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 01:32 PM

Okay, need to practice this ALOT more BUT

I just rotated my right hip back and stood with all of my wieght on my rear right leg and sunk down relaxed, left leg heel touching ground, no weight (load step1) I felt the weight in my right hip like the floor was pushing back on it. Then shifted the weight forward to my left leg (load step2) and consciously released tension of my rear leg, and it moved forward on its own!

I think the conscious release of the tension was the important step for me, although this could probably become more automatic over time.

While the recoil movement feels automatic, i dont feel a whole lot of power, and my performance of the recoil is awkward at best. I'm guessing that tendon/fascia training dramatically increases the force of this recoil? Right now, i'm happy i can experience it.

Thanks Scott!!!

Ed

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 02:17 PM

I just rotated my right hip back and stood with all of my wieght on my rear right leg and sunk down relaxed, left leg heel touching ground, no weight (load step1) I felt the weight in my right hip like the floor was pushing back on it. Then shifted the weight forward to my left leg (load step2) and consciously released tension of my rear leg, and it moved forward on its own!
[/QUOTE]

Egads, methinks you've got it! Now you need to connect the hips/waist to the torso. This is achieved transferring the 'load' from the rear hip and feel (intent) the load/force 'go' into the lower back which should facilitate the whipping action.

I think the conscious release of the tension was the important step for me, although this could probably become more automatic over time.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but don't let it go at the waist send it into the lower back and let it go up the spine and then 'get the hell out of the way' [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

While the recoil movement feels automatic, i dont feel a whole lot of power, and my performance of the recoil is awkward at best.
[/QUOTE]

You are leaking in the transfer from the hips/kwa into the meng men and spine. The power seems to be 'transformed' to use an electrical term in this area. You will feel it.

[ [QUOTE]Originally posted by MrEd
I'm guessing that tendon/fascia training dramatically increases the force of this recoil? Right now, i'm happy i can experience it.
[/QUOTE]

This is a very big step in your training and internal strength. Congratulations!

Thanks Scott!!!
[/QUOTE]

More than welcome.

Scott

Re: Joint openings - 08/20/04 05:08 PM

If I may....

Just remember these connections as you work on what Scott has imparted....

Ankle to knee
Knee to hip
Hip to shoulder
Shoulder to elbow
Elbow to wrist
Wrist to fist

(of course, modify the above to what you are "striking" with and how you are expressing the power)

Remind you of a few conversations we have had in the past Scott?

With regards,

Michael

Re: Joint openings - 08/22/04 10:51 AM

FROM (Different roads, where are you at?) THREAD

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kempoman:

This one in particular is on the outside of the hip joint where it meets with the femur. If you 'pop' your hip by rotating it you should be able to feel it. There are two ways in which I am now utilizing this (and maybe other) ligaments for structure and power.

First I move the hips forward, out and around to effectively "hook" this ligament and the apply pressure in a downward twisting motion. This feels much like drawing a bowstring. I have have had to stretch them out hooking them in San ti and pushing backwards. This allows me to slip into the connection faster and faster. Standing in San ti like this for 30 mins to 1 hr becomes easy as the frame will hold you up.
[/QUOTE]

I think I can almost feel what this is like, but it is hard to tell because I feel like I need to use too much muscular tension to 'pop' my hips. Need flexibility?
Also, the spiral connection from the hips to the feet causes my feet to slip and slide on the floor... I just can't seem to root or grip the floor enough. I definitely can't connect the hips to the shoulders yet.

What is san ti?
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Joint openings - 08/22/04 08:01 PM

Good thread

The Santi is the foundation stance of xingyi. Standing in this stance for prolonged periods of time (aka standing practice) help to unify the different part of the body and bring about proper structural alignment. Bagua has a similar stance with the exception that the body is coiled at the waist.

Re: Joint openings - 08/23/04 08:44 AM

Happy Monday guys!

I've been practicing my recoil a bit, and i think when i do it slowly, i have a solid connection (foot to ankle, ankle to knee, knee to hip) as it seems to be getting slightly stronger. Two quick questions though

1) If my knee and joints below the leg feel a little sore, does that mean i have the posture wrong, or does it mean these areas are toughening up?

2) I'm losing the connection at the ming men point. I can't figure out for the life of me how to bring from hips to lower back. I tried using my mind to guide qi to that point, while keeping all of the weight on the back leg still (load step one), but the sucess i've had with this has been sporadic. The force seems slightly stronger, but nothing worthy of 'getting the hell away from'. So right now, i wind up like a spring, twisting to the side, sinking the weight (this is the part i really feel in the knee) and i can let it fly, but not very far. Any help with the meng men, would be appreciated. Thanks!

~Ed

P.S. i practiced using the recoil at the batting cages. Thought i'd share since i found it to be a fun way of training.....(just rememebr to keep your hands really tight, everything else can be relaxed [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG])

Re: Joint openings - 08/26/04 12:31 PM

Thanks Chris, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

BUMP for Ed's last two questions.

[This message has been edited by Lucid Warrior (edited 08-26-2004).]

Re: Joint openings - 08/26/04 01:50 PM

Thanks Lucid! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: nenipp

Re: Joint openings - 08/26/04 03:55 PM

MrEd, will you take a wild guess from an external guy?
It's really very important that you control your lumbar spine and dont allow it to sway (if that's the right word?)
Directing qi with your mind/intent surely will help, but imho there also has to be a very physical manifestation as well.
I'm no where near sure, but this might be what was referred to as "sit more into your kwa" or something like that by one of the seasoned internal guys?
To me at least it feels like ming men has to be held back and in some kind of "tension" not to "leak"

ps: I really must stress that my ma is external and i only do qigong (and taiji) for health, so take my advise with a huge grain of salt while we eagerly await the response of someone qualified

Re: Joint openings - 08/26/04 11:17 PM

The concept of sitting or sinking will act to open the kwa...assuming that the rest of your structural alignment to the ground is correct. Mess up the structural alignment and you can "sink" all you want to.

Plus, remember...the kwa is not in a static state...open or closed.

Make any sense?

Re: Joint openings - 08/27/04 11:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by meijin:
Plus, remember...the kwa is not in a static state...open or closed.
Make any sense?
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/confused.gif[/IMG] zzwwwaaaaa????

STATIC adj. to stand, to cause to stand,
1.acting through weight only: said of the pressure exerted by a motionless body or mass
2. of bodies, masses, or forces at rest or in equilibrium: opposed to DYNAMIC

Are you refering to muscular tension used to twist/pull tendons in the kwa?

Re: Joint openings - 08/27/04 01:20 PM

I think he means, its not something you turn on or off like a light switch; there are probably varying degrees of effectiveness.

If you have your posture 98% correct you get most, but not all of the power out of it. If you are only 50% stable, then you get much less power, but the "kwa" is still operating.

The best i can offer is a circuit analogy. If you have the cirucit properly connected, your posture determines how many energy leaks (circuit resistence) are present. This less leaks, the more power.

But what i dont know [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/frown.gif[/IMG] is what exactly the definition of the "kwa". I think i conceptually understand it, but it is not a term i have heard before...

~Ed