IMA and Changes

Posted by: Kempoman

IMA and Changes - 07/29/04 12:33 PM

Recently I have been posting about the new conditioning stuff I have been working on especially where it concerns connective tissue strength (which is where I feel that IMA power comes from).

In the beginning I was concerned that adding resistance to the static postures (San Ti, Zhuan Zhuang, etc.) and working the tendons/ligaments with resistance would make me too tight in the joints.

Thankfully this has not been the case.

One thing that I am noticing is that my body's look and feel is changing. I think that I am beginning to understand the 'steel wrapped in cotton' analogy that is used to describe an 'internal body'.

My hands and arms are noticeably longer and much thicker in the wrists, elbows and shoulders. My upper back is getting very thick and the tendons/ligaments in my legs and arms are getting thicker and have much more spring to them.

For example, I was walking with my kids the other day and one went to run by (and of course trip, tackle or just generally piss off one of the other ones [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] ) and I moved my arm out in a position much like a Rail-Road Crossing arm looks.

My child (11) ran into the arm and added energy/force into the system. The arm absorbed the impact and then 'sprang'(for lack of a better term) back into her and she bounced off into the grass. The point is I made no motion, it just happened.

I think I almost heard a 'boing' sound.

I have also noticed that using the resistance to train the tendons gives a very good cardio workout.

This week I am adding a few sets that involve twisting the midsection with a 'belly full of air' and holding these positions like I do with the extremities. I hope to have some good success from this and again it not make me too stiff to move.

What physical changes have you noticed in your IMA training?

Scott
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/29/04 01:16 PM

Great thread idea!

From taoist/reverse breathing i have noticed a reduction in my "love handles". This came as a surprise to me because i had always been taught that it wasn't possible to spot-reduce fat. Presumeably, the increase in oxygen consumption as a result of deep breathing combined with exericising the abdomen to increase this capactiy has sped up the metabolism and that is the cause.

Other physical changes include the ability to sit for longer periods of time before my legs go numb. This greatly aids in being able to practice internal breathing methods because you can acieve a deeper level of relaxation when not bothered by that numbness.

And finally, my reconstitution time in external MA training is probably the most definitive change. After an aerobically intense kung fu workout (IMA doesnt make this hurt less yet), i can catch my breath and return to normal breathing and heart rates much sooner then prior to beginning the internal training.

I've learned to actually feel the tendons in my body and can tell they have gotten a wee bit stronger (i've only been doing tai chi for about 2-3 months).

quick question, anybody notice an increase in sugar cravings after practicing qigong? This seems silly, but i never used to fancy deserts and recently, they look so darn inviting....

~Ed

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 07-29-2004).]

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 12:04 AM

IMA teach me to store up chi on my body. i can feel that im more now stronger than usual, and also increase in stamina. i cannot be easily hurt by blows now, coz i feel my chi rushing to protects the portion i was hit. great flexibility too....
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 07:46 AM

What physical changes have you noticed in your IMA training?

The big change for me lately has been the ablity to relax and sink into my structure. This could also be described as the 'direct connection' to the ground that has been discussed on another thread. This has put a whole 'new' feeling in my form training as well as in push hands.

Whne doing forms I can feel my enitre body move better. This has helped my fluidity of motion. It has also helped me in linking the pieces of the forms together and makeing all of the movements seamless.

When doing push hands I have been amazed at how relaxation helps to increase the Ting jing/Listening skill in my body. It has also kept me from spazzing out when my opponent attacks. I am able to respond accordingly to their attack without having to use force against force.

Other things that I have noticed...
- Leg strength increase
- More flexibility in my hips and waist
- More flexibility in my spine
- I stand almost an 1 taller, although this is also due to having about 20 Rolfing Massage sessions.
- My girlfriend says my a** is getting bigger. Considering how skinny I am this is actually a pretty good complement!
I notice changes within my body almost every time I train, these are just some of the ones I have noticed today.

quick question, anybody notice an increase in sugar cravings after practicing qigong? This seems silly, but i never used to fancy deserts and recently, they look so darn inviting....

Can't say that I have. Maybe your body is craving protein? I know that I have increased my protein and water intake since I began Bagua.

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 08:42 AM

Don't think its protein.... I eat lots of chicken and drink plenty of water. Guess i'll hafta put deserts out of my mind using good ol fashioned will power.

I'm curious...whats a rolfing massage?

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 09:49 AM

[QUOTE]I'm curious...whats a rolfing massage?[/QUOTE]

Chris,

Has this been worth the pain, time and money? I really want to get this done, but haven't known anyone who has done it yet. Also, if you don't mind what was the cost?

Scott

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 10:45 AM

Hmm...did a little research:
http://va.essortment.com/whatisrolfing_rllo.htm

Sounds expensive considering the standard treatment requires ten consultations. The theory is interesting though. Their concepts of sinking into the center of gravity and manipulating soft body tissues seems to blend well with what IMAs are trying to accomplish....

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 11:01 AM

I;ve also been checking out the Alexander Technique and Tim Cartmell's True Balance method. They all fit in perfectly with the IMA's IMO.

Scott

Re: IMA and Changes - 07/30/04 01:21 PM

Has this been worth the pain, time and money? I really want to get this done, but haven't known anyone who has done it yet.

I would say yes to all of the above. A friend of mine put it best. Rolfing is like a second cousin to pleasure and pain. I seriously recommend getting it done if you have the chance. Seeing as how we are focused on constantly refining our structure, Rolfing helps to put you there. You just have to maintain the work that the Rolfer has done.

Also, if you don't mind what was the cost?

My guy is about $65-75 per session. Well worth it when the results show through.

I am a pretty lucky fellow in the sense that my Rolfer is also one of my Bagua teachers. They go hand in hand with each other. His knowlege of the human anatomy serves me quite well when he is going over the proper structural alignments of the body.

Give it a try if you can find someone in your area.

Chris
Posted by: nenipp

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/02/04 03:31 AM

kempoman and all,

there is a plethora of methods that are different but have more or less common nucleii of balance in posture, muscular tone/activation and breathing

imho this is a great thing, because it gives more people a chance to find "their own" way, but like in most endeavours, whichever way you choose to climb up the mountain you will reach the same top

my point: if you are already skilled in ima, in which (correct me if I'm wrong!) posture is one of the first things you work on and, with help and guidance of your teacher, correct, then what would you hope to achieve with rolfing?

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/02/04 06:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nenipp:

my point: if you are already skilled in ima, in which (correct me if I'm wrong!) posture is one of the first things you work on and, with help and guidance of your teacher, correct, then what would you hope to achieve with rolfing?

[/QUOTE]

Rolfing is a type of deep tissue massage. It realigns the structure of the body that are caused by years of bad posture (slouching, injury, etc.).
After time, layers of facia in the body can fuse together. This causes an area in the body to loose its full range of motion. After time the fusion becomes worse which causes misalignment of the skeletal structure. The Rolfer goes in and physically separates these fused layers of facia and sets the client into propper alignment.

What do I hope to acheive with Rolfing?
Freedom from my headaches that were caused my misalignment. More mobility after a knee injury years ago. All the time I spent limping actually caused some of the misalignment that was causing my headaches.
In order to maintain my 'freedom' and be able to move within my proper alignment, I do Baugua and Xingyi.
IMHO - the two, IMA and Rolfing, work hand in hand with each other.

Chris

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/03/04 02:29 AM

fisherman,

I do see your point, I'm only surprised that it's even possible to find any true internal way (and judging from your posts, one would think you have)and still be misaligned.

Other than that, full agreement from my point of wiew!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/03/04 05:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kempoman:
I;ve also been checking out the Alexander Technique and Tim Cartmell's True Balance method. They all fit in perfectly with the IMA's IMO.

Scott
[/QUOTE]

Alexander technique is very good for all sorts of body alignment issues. I did a fair bit of this when I was having back problems a few years ago.

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/03/04 05:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nenipp:
fisherman,

I do see your point, I'm only surprised that it's even possible to find any true internal way (and judging from your posts, one would think you have)and still be misaligned.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that I understand what you are saying here. Are you saying that after years of practicing a true internal method that you are amazed there is still misalignment? I guess I'm a little confused, can you maybe rephrase your statement and I will understand.

Basically what I was trying to say is that the rolfing helps to put your body into alignment, and the IMA's help to keep it there. I am not saying that bad posture and fused facia will not be corrected over time with proficient practice in IMA's. It will; that is one of the primary heath functions of the IMA's. Through a constant focus on proper structural alignment and stretching you begin to harmonize the body. Structural harmonization alows for proper function of the bodys organs and promotes overall health within the body.
I simply see Rolfing as a 'tool' to help my body into alignment. The benefits from it that I gain in my Baguazhang training are simply a side effect. Actually its almost like the "purple pill" commercial you see on TV, except all of the side effects are good.

Very cool topic...

Hey Kempoman,
Did you get a chance to get worked on yet?

Chris

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/04/04 01:23 AM

yes fisherman, that's about what I was trying to say, but I'll rephrase it to avoid misunderstanding:

Let's take kempoman for instance, because he seems to have a thorough understanding of the internal arts, but hasn't taken rolfing (for all we know at this point)
Wouldn't you say his degree of understanding of the principles of ima suggets that his alignment is in order?
If so, why would he spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on getting it in order?

(of course it's his money [or at least used to be )], and it's none of my business how he spends it.. I'm just curious)

Hope this makes my question clearer.

ps: I'm not suggesting that the fact that your instructor gets a load of extra money from you would have anything to do with the coincidance that he/she got you convinced that you needed the treatment...
...but if i was a cynic, I might have ;o)

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/04/04 09:21 AM

Let's take kempoman for instance, because he seems to have a thorough understanding of the internal arts, but hasn't taken rolfing (for all we know at this point)
Wouldn't you say his degree of understanding of the principles of ima suggets that his alignment is in order?

I would definately agree that the structural alignment of someone who seriously trains IMA's is much better than someone who does not. The same could probably be said for someone who does Yoga or Pilates. It is an understanding of the structural alignment of the body that gives us an understanding of what we need to correct and put into order. However, there will always be areas that we are 'out of whack' that we may not be aware of. A Rolfer will be able to go in and realign that area.

If so, why would he spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on getting it in order?

Just speaking from my own experience, but the reason to spend the money on it is because the benefits are long term. They are not like getting an adjustment at a chiropractor. In addition the benefits are HUGE. You find a 'new' level of relaxation within your body when it is in proper alignment.

Hope this makes my question clearer.

It does and I appriciate you taking the time to rephrase it.

ps: I'm not suggesting that the fact that your instructor gets a load of extra money from you would have anything to do with the coincidance that he/she got you convinced that you needed the treatment...
...but if i was a cynic, I might have ;o)

LOL...
FYI - Most of the treatments that I received were for free. He did it simply because he saw how out of alignment my body was, it had nothing to do with money.
I had him do asome deep tissue work before he started the Rolfing process. It was the way he worked and how I felt afterword that convinced me to continue with the treatment.
I suppose that I could have gone on without the treatment, but I have a strong feeling that I would not be nearly as far along as I am in the IMA training if I hadn't done it.

Chris

[This message has been edited by Fisherman (edited 08-04-2004).]

Re: IMA and Changes - 08/04/04 01:59 PM

fair enough fisherman, it seems like a good deal then!