Ki insomnia

Posted by: Anonymous

Ki insomnia - 06/21/04 02:21 PM

Every time I begin to make progress in circulating larger amounts of ki/chi, I begin to develope insomnia. Usually not trouble falling asleep... but waking after only 4-6 hours and not being able to go back to sleep. Eventually I become so overtired that I have to quit and start over again.
Is there a way maintain higher levels without this side effect?
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/21/04 02:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lucid Warrior:
Every time I begin to make progress in circulating larger amounts of ki/chi, I begin to develope insomnia. Usually not trouble falling asleep... but waking after only 4-6 hours and not being able to go back to sleep. Eventually I become so overtired that I have to quit and start over again.
Is there a way maintain higher levels without this side effect?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, train correctly.

Many qigong sets can and will cause 'running fire' symptoms. Of which sleeplessness/insomnia is the first. I would recommend that you stop what you are doing currently and participate in the experiment currently underway on this forum.

Kempoman

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/21/04 09:10 PM

how do you know it is correct if it is an "experiment" ?
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/22/04 07:29 AM

I agree; correct training is the key to avoiding these kind of side effects to training in IMA's.

Kempo,

What you call 'running fire' we call 'head fire'. From what I do, this is a side effect of training the yi really hard. We always do a set of Qigong exercises at the end of class to 'cool down'.

Lucid -
I would try Kempoman's experiment that he is doing. He is using a valid qigong exercise. Sounds to me like this may be what you need to alliviate your insomnia. I speak from experience on this. On the days that I have not 'cooled down' after training I will toss and turn all night long.

The reason you need to do a cool down with internal arts (or any art for that matter) is because you are putting forth extra effort in using you mind and your body at the same time. This will actually build up heat in the body, especially in the spinal column. It is good to exercises to release this excess heat, otherwise you will literally end up cooking your brain.
Another side effect would be hypertension and unchecked aggresion (i.e. road rage, etc.) Any martial arts training when done PROPERLY should leave you with peace of mind.

Btw, Lucid; what MA do you train in?

Peace
Chris

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/22/04 09:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lucid Warrior:
how do you know it is correct if it is an "experiment" ?[/QUOTE]

It is an experiment for those who are new to it. I have used this one set for the past several years and it always produces great results.

Scott

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/23/04 09:20 AM

fair enuough kempo...

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/23/04 09:31 AM

Give me an e-mail at xingyiquan2003@yahoo.com and I will send the set and instruction (very simple) to you.

Scott

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/23/04 09:31 AM

fisherman, I have been doing some of mantak chia's exercises. I hear they are stolen techniques bunched together and are not very safe if you don't have a teacher. It is all I have to go on now though.

Kempo + fishy, You may know that chia sugests spiraling energy in a circle both directions in the naval at the end of each session. I deffinatly find that any time later, be it 10 minutes or 3 hours, my energy just moves wherever it wants to again. -while I'm at work, or doing whatever.

Kempo- I will take a look at your experiment. I am curious as to what these cool down exercises are so I can quit wasting valuable time.
thanks
Posted by: laf7773

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/23/04 10:47 AM

Scott,
Have you received any feedback from the people involved in the experiment yet? I'm curious as to what some others are experiencing.

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/23/04 12:08 PM

Lane,

Not yet. I am sending out an e-mail to request the info today or tomorrow.

Scott

Re: Ki insomnia - 06/24/04 01:16 PM

Lucid Warrior,

Be careful when chia starts talking about bringing energy up the spine and up the front of the torso and meeting at the top of the head. I think that he also uses a method that brings it from eight directions to the top.

It is said that the energy in the vessels (not meridians) can move in either direction so it is possible to do this but the energy will meet and will begin to cause problems. I have had to work to correct sevral people who have used his methods.

Be careful,

Scott