Powering Up

Posted by: Anonymous

Powering Up - 05/19/04 07:01 AM

I know this could seem WAY DBZ influenced, but sometimes I find it possible to make myself feel more formidable and powerful by "powering up" in the same sort of way as the characters from DBZ.
Any views? It's not bs, because it does work for me - obvioulsy without the same spazzy VFX.
Posted by: Jib

Re: Powering Up - 05/19/04 08:34 AM

You can attain the effect of "powering up" though the Kiai/Kihap.

Personally, I also find that Kou Qi works for similar purposes.
Posted by: WADO

Re: Powering Up - 05/19/04 10:57 AM

This is no joke the Scottish believed that Scotch increased fighting power. Emotion can effect energy. For example for men a study I read showed that looking at pictures of pretty girls made them lift more. The conclusion of the study was that it was either an increase in testosteron or an object of focus to motivate them.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Powering Up - 05/19/04 11:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WADO:
This is no joke the Scottish believed that Scotch increased fighting power. Emotion can effect energy. For example for men a study I read showed that looking at pictures of pretty girls made them lift more. The conclusion of the study was that it was either an increase in testosteron or an object of focus to motivate them.[/QUOTE]

And after drinking 5 scotches people believe they can drive better.

It's called being drunk!

JohnL

Re: Powering Up - 05/19/04 01:29 PM

Ah the return of the choad we know as JohnL...
Posted by: WADO

Re: Powering Up - 05/19/04 02:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
And after drinking 5 scotches people believe they can drive better.

It's called being drunk!

JohnL

[/QUOTE]

I guess it also makes some people agressive. The Spartians greatest soldiers of their time used to drink a bunch of wine before battle, mabey it also dulls your senses to the extreme horror of face to face combat.

[This message has been edited by WADO (edited 05-19-2004).]

Re: Powering Up - 05/20/04 01:02 PM

Fair point, but JohnL is still a choad
Posted by: pete

Re: Powering Up - 06/15/04 08:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Son Gokai:
Fair point, but JohnL is still a choad[/QUOTE]

He has natural unseen alchohol in his blood inherited from his choad lineage.

Re: Powering Up - 07/14/04 04:05 PM

Fair point, but JohnL is still a choad[/QUOTE]

I agree with u big time!!!!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Powering Up - 07/14/04 06:34 PM

JohnL is a great guy and a serious martial artist, unlike some others I could mention who fill up the forums with their mindless and boring drivel.

The kiai *does* help with focus of power.
So does correct breathing as in Sanchin and Tensho.

But "powering up" like a cartoon character??

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] Get real!
It's just a cruddy cartoon and is not the be all and end all of MA.

My view is that you kids watch far too much DBZ and do far to little actual proper training.

Re: Powering Up - 07/14/04 08:30 PM

I think it may just be the adrenalin. Just a thought. Question: what possesed you to try "powering up" in a dbz sorta way?

-John
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Powering Up - 07/15/04 07:58 AM

My question is why should you have to power up in the first place? I have always been taught to have power in reserve that can be released on demand.
For example; not overextending when you do a push with both hands.
If your power is not spent and you always have a reserve, you will have no need to reset.

Please no DBZ replies...

Chris
Posted by: Kempoman

Re: Powering Up - 07/16/04 12:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fisherman:
My question is why should you have to power up in the first place? I have always been taught to have power in reserve that can be released on demand.
For example; not overextending when you do a push with both hands.
If your power is not spent and you always have a reserve, you will have no need to reset.

Please no DBZ replies...

Chris
[/QUOTE]

Chris,

Have you noticed that when the gua and meng-men are used properly there is an automatic reloading that happens?

Scott

Re: Powering Up - 07/17/04 05:34 AM

Drinking In Moderation Does Help You Fight If You Know What Your Doing The Whole Idea Behind Drunken Boxing Is To Move Erradictaly And Strike From Weird Positions Hence Drunken Boxing

Re: Powering Up - 07/19/04 07:42 AM

Scott,

"Have you noticed that when the gua and meng-men are used properly there is an automatic reloading that happens?"

YES! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

It has been one of the more difficult concepts for me to grasp. I have noticed that the more relaxed that I am when I am training the more I feel the automatic reload. It is a really interesting feeling because I never feel spent. I don't get that momentary "ughhh" between postures. I think that this is what is meant by fluidity. Keeping the power constant throughout all movement.

Chris

Re: Powering Up - 07/27/04 02:31 AM

I have tested this. If your mad your alot stronger then if your not. Because when your mad u have alot of anger in u and you hit harder because u just dont give a sh** when your mad.

Re: Powering Up - 07/27/04 08:46 AM

If your mad your alot stronger then if your not. Because when your mad u have alot of anger in u and you hit harder because u just dont give a sh** when your mad.

I disagree. When you are mad you can make rash decisions and there is tension that builds up in the body. Anger is no way to generate power.
If you enter a situation with a sound calm mind then you will think more clearly. If you are relaxed and are not holding tension in the body you will be able to react quicker to what your opponent is giving you, and hopefully be able to turn it against them.

Chris

Re: Powering Up - 07/27/04 09:47 AM

I think the first step is to be honest with yourself regarding your emotions in a confrontation. If you can regonize how you feel, you can move past the emotional state and begin to control it (takes practice though).

If you can transform the energy generated from your anger into something you can control, it can be of great advantage. Remaining emotional won't help in a fight.

I guess this translates into calmly being able to incorporate the chemical changes emotions produce (aka adrenaline spikes) into your martial strategy.

~ed

Re: Powering Up - 07/27/04 09:48 PM

I know this could seem WAY DBZ influenced, but sometimes I find it possible to make myself feel more formidable and powerful by "powering up" in the same sort of way as the characters from DBZ.
Any views? It's not bs, because it does work for me - obvioulsy without the same spazzy VFX.
[/QUOTE]

sounds like a psychological effect...
watching too much tv?

Re: Powering Up - 07/28/04 12:47 PM

You mean like screaming and stuff? How does that look? Screaming and clenching all of your muscles to "power up"...?

Fool.

Btw..A "kiai" is only an instant and momentary boost. And even with a kiai, you will not go above 100% power. So, train hard, kiddies, and maybe someday you can be as powerful as uncle tenbu.