Interested.

Posted by: DoDDy

Interested. - 05/08/04 11:33 AM

Well I'm over here in the UK.

Just been reading a lot of the post on here, trying to skip around the chi ball posts and get to the interesting ones is hard.

Well. I'm a boxer. But I fancy starting Tai Chi. Theres a class near me. Sounds interesting, but what I'm looking for from you lot is a bit more detail of what i can expect to do in classes, and what i can expect to achieve from it long term?

Thanks.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Interested. - 05/08/04 06:05 PM

Can anyone tell me about fajing? how to use it? and where I can find an instructor or online course?
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Interested. - 05/08/04 07:34 PM

In tai chi you will have learn how to relax, untense your muscles,how to stand, move ,walk, breath.

Long term benefits: activity you can do well into old age, general improved mental focus, better balance/bodily control, reduced stress levels.
Posted by: nekogami13 V2.0

Re: Interested. - 05/08/04 07:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by newbe101:
Can anyone tell me about fajing? how to use it? and where I can find an instructor or online course?[/QUOTE]

Fajing is a way of releasing or generating power in strikes-I think. I am no expert.

No you cannot learn it from the internet. It takes years to even begin to be able to do it under controled circumstances.

You can find instructors at any of your local Internal Martial arts schools-Some forms of tai chi, bagua, xingyi.
Posted by: Fisherman

Re: Interested. - 05/09/04 09:31 AM

DoDDy,
You asked "what i can expect to do in classes, and what i can expect to achieve from it long term?"
What you do in classes depends on what style of Tai Chi it is and whether or not the classes are geared more towards health or the martial standpoint.
If the classes are geared towards health you can probably expect to do the form mostly and some Chi Gong.
If the classes are oriented towards the martial side of things it will depend on how much of the system the teacher has. Hopefully they will have a Nei Gong set (internal power training) Chi Gong, form work, 2 person sets, and maybe even some weapons training (straight sword - spear - staff).
I see that you are a boxer, have you looked into Xingyi at all? I would think that for a boxer Xingyi would be a great cross-over martial art for you. Maybe check out Aarvo Tucker's site www.palmchange.com - I believe he primarily teaches Gao Style Baguazhang, but he may throw a bit of Xingyi in there.
As for the long term benefits, Neko pretty much summed it up. Relaxation and integration of the entire body, balance, and peace of mind are all great atributes. Personally I think that Taichi effects everyone differently.

Newbe101 - Fajing is described as "explosive internal power" i.e. Bruce Lee's famous 1" punch. There is no way that you could possibly learn this from an online course- it is something that must be directly transmited from teacher to student, and even then it is a high level piece of the internal martial arts curriculum. If you are seriously looking for a teacher, let us know your general whereabouts and age.

Chris